Rate & Review: "Step Brother from the Same Planet" (UABF22)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
Alright episode, I don't really remember much of it but that's probably my fault (I watched the whole thing at like 2am last night). Probably worth a rewatch for the sake of it

Reading complaints about the imdb rating is just my least favorite thing about these rate & reviews. Does it really matter how accurate or inaccurate a site's rating is??? It would be like if every time I commented on a new Family Guy episode I would always bring up "Oh, this episode was great/bad, so why is the rating this on imdb?!". Maybe that's how I feel, but what's the point of bringing it up every time? It's a complete waste of time to overfocus so much on what one single site rates an episode. And besides, after the few initial false votes the rating tends to adjust and more accurately reflect people's opinions. Not to mention different places might have different opinions about an episode. That's just the way it is. Can you all please move on and stop bringing it up in every single review thread?

Reading complaints about the imdb rating is just my least favorite thing about these rate & reviews. Does it really matter how accurate or inaccurate a site's rating is???
To be fair, posting reviews and ratings from other sites is just a normal thing for these threads and people are gonna comment on them, and that discussion never amounts to more than 5 or so replies. I can assure you people are a lot less upset about or focused on the IMDB ratings than you think.

It can go on for much longer if the rating is especially polarizing (The Star Of Backstage) and it didn't use to be this way until two years or so ago. I don't understand why the imdb ratings have suddenly become so important?

I think it's because 2 years ago the show improved for a lot of people and there is a sizeable part of the fanbase who dont watch the show anymore and refuse to entertain that idea so they still go around shitting on it, and naturally those two sides of the fanbase are going to bristle with each other sometimes. I've never really felt the discussion about it got bad enough to take issue with it and it usually boils down to a few people saying the site is dumb, but at the same time I wasnt in the Star of the Backstage thread (and need to go watch that one).

Unrelated, I miss when AV Club reviewed The Simpsons, those were the only reviews I really read for the show.

I honestly don’t put stock in any Simpsons episode reviews other than the ones on this site (and not all of them, because there are…a few…who give 1/5 to everything).

AV Club was good, also liked Phil Payton.

Wait, AV Club stopped reviewing the show? I thought they were still around but didn't get as much coverage.

I think it's because 2 years ago the show improved for a lot of people and there is a sizeable part of the fanbase who dont watch the show anymore and refuse to entertain that idea so they still go around shitting on it, and naturally those two sides of the fanbase are going to bristle with each other sometimes. I've never really felt the discussion about it got bad enough to take issue with it and it usually boils down to a few people saying the site is dumb, but at the same time I wasnt in the Star of the Backstage thread (and need to go watch that one).

Anyhow, I agree with this.

IMDB as a site isn't dumb as a whole and the various fan ratings over there don't really matter to me (nor do the nonsense 1/10 reviews, such as those complaining about wokeness, etc.) as I only really count this forum's opinions on the episodes, but I still think the downvotings/review bombings and incessant upvotes (as yeah, there's the opposite problem at times) that have become somewhat infamous on that site (IMDB) is a problem for those using IMDB as a guide to see which episodes/movies are worth their time (not to mention those who used the IMDB scores for a rating consensus) and that's why I feel the site's ratings can be misleading at times, but luckily a big part of the audience has learnt that the site has problems and cannot be taken as a clear indicator (kinda like how one shouldn't put too much trust RottenTomatoes, I guess).

I don't see a need to be upset (like @The Element Of SurPrice) about those voicing their chagrin with IMDB's ratings' problems as it doesn't really happen so often (and usually it is due to the external reviews being posted and discussed so it's normal). The IMDB scores themselves aren't important, but it's rather the review bombing trolls that are making that site less legitimate & reliable than it used to be that's a bit annoying, but it for sure doesn't bug me all day long (so those expecting to see some kind of obsession with IMDB ratings are out of luck).

Last edited:
One other aspect about the B-plot that would've made it a compelling candidate to carry the lead of a different episode is that we never really got to see Lisa NOT be a wet blanket here. Yeah, she got to throw a mean party or two but she wasn't exactly enjoying the festivities herself and engaging with her friends - well, aside from some off-screen face painting. She wasn't jumping on beds or playing video games or dancing to the music or partaking in party games or just generally cutting loose and being a kid doing kid stuff.

Being a good party host and being a good party guest aren't exactly the same thing. I can see kids happily attending more of her shindigs in the future... but inviting her to theirs (which is what this all kicked off from)? I'm not so sure about that...

You mean scoring as in TV ratings or as in grades here on this forum and/or external sites?

I haven't been checking reviews for this episode yet, but have a hard time believing it's been that badly recieved, though if it is I'm really quite surprised with the lackluster reception. Even with its flaws, such a solid and well balanced story such as this is rare to see on the show nowadays (but at least on this board the reception is rather overwhelmingly positive, even though it's a 4/5 episode for most).
I was referring to how NoHomers has been receiving it, to be specific... although the score has jumped up a bit over the past 24 hours or so (from like a 3.3 to a 3.6). Still below all past Selman-Vebber efforts and still not likely to crack a consensus Top 50 HD list... but not quite as low as earlier where it was being outpaced by some of the Jean-Vebber episodes.

Last edited:
This made the 4th act reset button to wipe all of this progress and character growth away sting just that much harder. Yeah, it was an exceptionally funny bit and a nice callback to the ignored voicemails that kicked off the plot... but man, can we ever really just embrace this stuff for once instead of hand-waving it away immediately afterwards. Hell, I'm already getting the impression that the Ms. Peyton introduction was something I hallucinated. Ditto for Maya and Moe's engagement. And those weren't even reset button ploys. It's frustrating as a viewer when you get invested and then you're summarily told after 22 minutes that your investment didn't matter and you may as well have just not watched. I find it does a disservice when you tell great stories and you're just tossing them on the pile like discarded children afterwards.
Gosh, Brad - I've started thinking of that too! That "status quo" problem is for years and needs some solution. Very often it can left some "cheated" feeling in the end, as said. Like, within the story there was implemented something new, fresh and well done (character in new role, with new love, doing etc), but… what with it in further?

I divided two types of it:
actual status quo - bad correctly bad done return to the ethential start point (this episode, Yokel Hero, Sorry not Sorry, A Springfield Summer Christmas and dozens of other episodes)
possibly good idea for the one episode, afterwards it becomes useless and mostly it never mentioned after (She Biscuit hadn't she left with the Simpsons? she wasn't even mentioned for 1.5 years and still isn't, Good Sideshow Bob even after good ending of Gone Boy, but in the next ep Bob again tried to catch the Bart - even for seconds, but that left sore, Ned the Teacher In My Octopus and a Teacher it was officially rushed, Moe and Maya and miss Peyton hope the 2 latter will be mentioned again. And to conclude I add some personal old example - Krusty and Princess Penelope in love. I understand Ann Hathaway can be too $$$ for being recurring, but we did not see how that potential at least some development for Krusty character ends. They in Paris - and end signature:confused: probably bad as Krusty is again… Krusty.

As can seen it can't be applied to the showrunner, if you want - both I'd say team as whole has problem with it.

In recent years they tried to keep, but results are different so far: first - other good status quo returnw, then reboot of Sarah Wiggum, introduce of Wendy Sage, "kids act like kids" , "Homer is less jerkass", "less gay jokes around Smithers/ Lenny and Carl", "nothing is canon"… ok I went too far.

Back to the earth. I mean, this last scene/act "decision" how to be with status quo: return or not so far is the big problem of ending for the cast. I don't say about some continuity/story arc etc. - just a justice of giving some kind of end point at least. And again I don't say that solution would obligatory be good/better while now in opposite. NO - many episodes, at least this one the thread titled after, are good/great even without that point, but could be better due to that ending point.

I said all.

@Brad Lascelle The one scene in the b-plot that I didn't think worked for me was the "chain-licking(smoking) lollipops(cigarettes)" scene. Maybe if the plot line had more time they could have made that work better. It could have turned into a Goodfellas parody and I'm not sure that would have been any better.

I was referring to how NoHomers has been receiving it, to be specific... although the score has jumped up a bit over the past 24 hours or so (from like a 3.3 to a 3.6). Still below all past Selman-Vebber efforts and still not likely to crack a consensus Top 50 HD list... but not quite as low as earlier where it was being outpaced by some of the Jean-Vebber episodes.

Then it was what I suspected. I had a bit of a hard time accepting that you may indeed mean the ratings on this board as they didn't seem so bad to me so I am I'm surprised that NHC ratings-wise, it fell the most short of all the Selman & Vebber duo episodes thus far, but I'm guessing the amount of 3/5s do their fair share of "damage" to the overall consensus regarding the episode.

As for the subplot (which seem to be a major point of complaint/nitpick for you), I definitely agree it would have been best as a more developed main plot in another episode, but the lightweight approach and simplicity of it didn't really bother me (even though I also think it deserved more time, but I wouldn't cut down the main plot for it. I wish more episodes were 25 minutes like 'Thanksgiving Of Horror'; some streaming animated shows seem to reach up to that runtime per ep, but it's not as easily feasible for a broadcast show).

(Btw, my review is complete but I haven't found the time to post it yet. Should be up tomorrow).

Last edited:
I dunno why this is so lowly rated when it's far from vebber's worst. There were actually some redeeming qualities for a start.

But hey, people sharing my issues with the heavy guest-star focus, sorta. It is why these episodes shut me off them so hard. It was easier to go along with earlier on since we didn't really know, and some like Herb and Ruth even came back for another ep or two, but otherwise they're promising a reset button from the start.

Which is another reason why the B plot was more interesting and coulda just been its own A-plot. Not just sticking with characters they already had (and in some cases neglected) in bigger roles than usual but actually doing the "Lisa has no friends" plot with some actual thought. Which is something I've wanted for a long time. Sure they weren't very nice about it and Lisa actually had good intentions but the other girls actually had a legitimate issue with her. So for once if feels earned when she turns it around instead of "everyone hates her because she's too smart/talented until she does something even more smart and talented which makes them love her somehow"

The bit about Lisa not going to any other parties is something I'm kinda agreeing with too. For a start, could've gotten a new setting and it could still have had her going overboard. Maybe strengthen the turnaround by having one/two of the other girls all but beg her to come to their birthday party and actually liven it up? Then she goes overboard with that or something. Or begged to plan it and Lisa goes too far trying to impress them.

Plus this one really feels like it went off on being expressive. Some like with Homer in the car maybe went a bit too far but there were also some other great faces...
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Plenty of good/silly/unhinged faces, I can appreciate it.

And I guess it's a good sign (sorta) when the biggest complaint about the B plot is "I'd like to have seen more of it" either way, not a perfect episode but while almost definitely due to Carolyn Omine, this is still the first episode to get the title of "Dan Vebber episode that I didn't hate"

I do feel like this is the first time in a while we've seen Janey been so expressive in her emotions, and probably the first time we've seen Janey been this expressive since the HD era began. An exception maybe been her brief role in "The Burns Cage".

Still funny to me that Dan Vebber's resume under Selman is exceptional, while I can't think of an episode he did under Jean that wasn't egregious (EDIT : forgot 101 Mitigations, which is... forgettable but okay I guess). I'm glad it ultimately ended up with a higher score than the Jean-Vebber efforts.

One other aspect about the B-plot that would've made it a compelling candidate to carry the lead of a different episode is that we never really got to see Lisa NOT be a wet blanket here. Yeah, she got to throw a mean party or two but she wasn't exactly enjoying the festivities herself and engaging with her friends - well, aside from some off-screen face painting. She wasn't jumping on beds or playing video games or dancing to the music or partaking in party games or just generally cutting loose and being a kid doing kid stuff.

Being a good party host and being a good party guest aren't exactly the same thing. I can see kids happily attending more of her shindigs in the future... but inviting her to theirs (which is what this all kicked off from)? I'm not so sure about that...

Well in general throwing a party, especially with no help is hard because you want to make everything perfect. I heard my mom as well as the aunts complain that because they were always busy they never got to do anything like talking talk to one another.

Lisa being a wet banket:

Mr. Burns: So, what do you think of today's popular music scene?
Lisa Simpson: I think it distracts people from more important social issues.
Mr. Burns: My God, are you always on?

This scene in itself is where the writers fail Lisa. Lisa loves music. Other than jazz, she has talked about blues, one of my favorite genres of music btw. For her not to listen to new music is just for the simple fact that it distracts people is pure bullshit. It's bad writing. Not a real big fan of Taylor Swift, I find a lot of her songs to be derivative, she writes a lot for girls and women. She is "somewhat" popular. Just ask Ticketmaster. Lisa doesn't always have to be on. It's alright to let her be eight.

Just my two.

This was a really wonderfully entertaining little episode. It's not the deepest or most thought out plot, but was really nicely handled and balanced with the main plot & the subplot and their humor, drama & emotions working out really well, sometimes really impressing me with how well it was all handled. I liked the choice of making it a father-son relationship story with Grampa & Homer (with the former having a New Age-type girlfriend who has a young son, the latter of whom Grampa has a surprisingly great father-son relationship with to Homer's jelaousy) but it is seen through the relationship of Homer & Calvin (the son) as step brothers (and their dynamic & interactions; I really liked the drama and bits of emotionality they got out of it. The subplot was a lot of fun as well (njoyable one with Lisa, along with some help from Bart, throwing an ultimate sleepover party at Grampa's vacant room at the Retirement Castle to impress all of those who see her as a party pooper); maybe one of my favorite usages of the Bart & Lisa team dynamic a while. Good stuff.

I enjoyed the opening at the fair for art made from recycled items (had a few nice gags with the various item. I think this is the most either Janey, Sherri & Terri have spoken in a long time (in the scene where Lisa learns she's not invited to Francine's party & is chastised for ruining parties); I noticed Janey is recast and Sherri & Terri sound a little off (Grey Delisle slipped into Lola Loud a bit again I guess the voices for the twins is hard to pull off, but at least she still does a great Martin Prince Jr) & as for the beginning of the main plot, I appreciated they started off with Grampa already being in a relationship with his new girlfriend, Blythe (and showed how they met in an amusing flashback to the Retirement Castle, where it's explained she's into New Age stuff). Nice scene of Homer & Marge visiting Blythe (where Grampa has moved in) and meet the "quirky young son" Calvin (a colorful character; at first potentially annoying but turned out to be OK). I'm also happy they immediately explained how Calvin can be this elderly woman's son by having her telling Marge he's adopted.

The episode did well with the conflict of Homer being jelaous of Calvin due to how his (Homer's) father constantly showing support and affection to Calvin and in ways Homer never got attention from Grampa: You perfectly understood Homer starting to become bitter and acting out, especially toward Calvin and his interests, yet I appreciate that Calvin didn't show resentment toward Homer but was generally nice to him in spite of Homer being rude (would've been cheap if they started off enemies from the get go); I'm also surprised at the good job Melissa McCarthy did voicing Calvin (she really disguised her voice well, kinda sounding like that child voice of Tress McNeille but with a clear difference); oh an Carol Kane did fine as Blythe, even though the character was just there and was kinda bland (maybe the one part of the episode I didn't really care for, haha). The reason Homer had to stay at Blythe's and sleep in Calvin's room (due to the polish Marge bought at the fair giving Homer allergic reactions) was funny (and a clever way to put the two step brother together).

The step brother relationship of Homer & Calvin was interesting and fun from here (when they are put in the same room) with Calvin being nice and acting like a child & Homer being bitter and averse (trying his best to act & say he's a grown-up but all the more coming off as childish with his behavior) & the conflict and enmity between the two (which quickly arises with a shouting match turning into a silly fight which was prettyamusing) gave a lot of funny and interesting moments in the following sequences; that montage of the two playing pranks of varying levels of meannness was a good one (I think the absurdity of Calvin almost inadvertedly killing Homer with a prank where he has unscrewed the car's steering wheel stood out. Almost went a little too far but still good dark humor). I enjoyed the stuff with Calvin's interest in taxidermy, which played into the finale well (and neat voicework from Grey, I think, as the taxidermy studio woman; can we get more of Grey doing one-off female characters instead of more of Tress McNeille, please? Would add more variety for sure).

Anyhow, I really enjoyed how the episode segued into the more dramatic, with the prior silly gag of Grampa's eye medicine making him mistake something for something else being used to have him mistake Homer (wearing Calvin's hat) for Calvin and that really making Homer depressed & Calvin, immediately seeing something wrong with Homer who's sulking being concerned for his step brother (dropping the enmity); that was kinda sweet, actually. Homer lamenting about how he never got the heartfelt affection his father now gave Calvin was a nice dramatic little moment & I liked the way Homer made Calvin understand how mean and cruel Grampa is to his real son by simply using disguising Calvin as Homer (poorly) & Grampa of course chewing "Homer" out for no reason (I also appreciated the fact they essentially confirmed the reason Homer put Grampa in a home due was due to the latter being a bad & emotionally abusive father; I all the more understand why Homer has been so cold to Grampa throughout the years, as sad as that really is when I think of it).

The way Homer & Calvin co-operated to make Grampa acknowledge Homer, by using a taxidermy fair (I like how the episode both begun and ended at a fair) was neat, with Homer's entry two seashells with googly eyes poorly gued onto them (tying into Homer's prior story of when he was young and tried selling similar shells) being a fun way to do so & Homer making the old man realize & accept that he is a very flawed father was both funny & dramatic (the backhanded feel of the scene made it work, but it did end nicely with Grampa seeing his flaws & maybe end up bettering himself). At first, I thought the reason why he was so kind to Calvin was due to sucking up to Blythe (afraid she'd leave him if he was mean to Calvin), but I'm glad they did it in antoher way (revealing he tried to do better with Calvin than he did with Homer). It was too bad there wasn't any closure on Homer & Calvin (and the way it was revealed Blythe randomly left Grampa for a succeful wealthy adventurer was a little lazy, but Grampa keeping Homer's seashell project was great). The dark last joke with Homer dismissing Grampa's call as an accidental dial was funny, but was definitely on the downbeat side and almost undid the progress.

The subplot with Lisa using Grampa's vacant room at the Retirement Castle as an exclusive sleepover party den with help from Bart due to being upset by being called a "party narc" party pooper, was just as good. I always like it when Lisa & Bart are working together as a team , I enjoyed how Lisa took charge (and went too obsessively far while Bart was the rational one) and there were many funny & amusing situations (and the explanation behind Lisa's "party narc" nickname was understandable). It was a solid Lisa story & I enjoyed that Bart made her realized the charade had gone too far (as all got out of hand) and decided to call the police (strange how no residents of the home complained about all the rowdiness and bass music). The ending was great with Lisa not being seen as "party narc" but cool by her peers (and the last gag with her bribing Wiggum with the promise of a batch of Snickers to drive her home with the sirens on as if she was being arrested to make it her cool exit was hilarious. Really tied the plot together and ended it on a optimistic note).

4/5, rounded down from a 4.5/5. A well-constructed episode that balances humor, drama & emotions in quite the rollercoaster of feelings, with a solid and amusing conflict with great chemistry & natural dialogue, leading it up to a heartfelt & funny climax, plus the Lisa & Bart's subplot with the two being kids with scheme was neat too,. Furthermore, the animation was great in general (Homer & Calvin having a fight in the car and doing increasingly annoying panting in each others faces was funny due to the expressiveness) and the guest voicework by McCarthy was perfect. I had some issues, like the plot wrap-up being relegated to a brief and cheap mid-credits scene (and in which the very last joke was like a reset button to the progress made with Homer & Grampa's relationship) & the subplot deserved to be less lightweight & expanded, but I was still very much satisfied as it was still a quite interesting, effective & well handled story.

This one really proves that Omine as co-runner (especiallly when having a good script to work with) is a force to be reckoned with and someone whom I hope to see even more from. Very enjoyable episode as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
In fact. A 3.3 is an acceptable reception for an episode and more so if it is one where it had many points that could have been easily criticized: Guest star episode, focused on the Homer-Grampa relationship, worn-out premise and a predictable story... So the fact that this episode got to a 3.6 is pretty surprising.

Also, for a season where regular episodes weren't being well received (as opposed to format doublers) it's nice to see this term breaking that streak. And finally, congratulations to Omine for fulfilling her production at the UABF, we will have to see if she is capable of continuing to maintain that impeccable record at the OABF... But for now, she has won the title of best "co-runner" Until now.

It is why these episodes shut me off them so hard. It was easier to go along with earlier on since we didn't really know, and some like Herb and Ruth even came back for another ep or two, but otherwise they're promising a reset button from the start.
That's part of why I couldn't really care about the main plot. Because these are characters voiced by guest stars who at best will only get non-speaking cameos afterwards, why should I give a shit about Homer connecting with his new stepbrother when it won't even matter afterwards? And obviously they didn't give a shit either considering how lazily Abe's girlfriend was handwaved off-screen in the final scene.

Curious. Why does it have to matter afterwards? What does that even mean?

Last edited:
The problem is that you can stretch this thought further. Why should I care about One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish when I know Homer isn't going to die? Why should I care about Duffless' ending knowing that Homer will inevitably drink again? Why should I care about marital trouble episodes if in the end I know they will end the same way with Homer and Marge together? Episodes of a Simpson gets a new job or does he have a new friend? Where does the line begin and the line end?

I really don't get what the guest star focused episodes are different from these other examples. In the end, does it really matter what happens next? Is the fact that a character doesn't show up again enough to put him off? Idk, it seems kind of unfair to me to reduce this episode to just "another guest star episode".

Last edited:
You could take this even further. Why should one care about any fictional story? It's all make-believe so none of it matters in the end, right? Or why should any of us care about what we do in life? We're all going to die one way or another and almost certainly be forgotten decades or centuries from now.

This strange expectation that stories require continuity and 'lasting effects' or 'consequences' to have meaning is highly dubious. People are far too inclined to treat stories as 'secondary worlds' that should adhere to strict and consistent rules regarding continuity, but this mode of storytelling is not inherently superior or more 'meaningful'. One could argue that our modern culture has become too sophisticated, losing sight of the true magic of storytelling which can be just as (if not more) detailed, complex, and moving in the form of simple and self-contained 20-minute morsels as a heavily serialised drama that spans years. Episodes of The Simpsons (like classic Trek) are akin to fables and parables, using its setting and characters to deliver existential truths (which this episode unequivocally contains).

This is a perfectly acceptable (and highly underrated) form of storytelling. Indeed, I would say this is precisely what has given the show its mythic quality and durability.

Stories with no truths are truly meaningless.

Last edited:
@B-Boy I think people in fiction expect stories to be linear and serialized, while with characters they have a "coherent" development (going from point "A" to point "B") where in the end everything is configured to reach a certain point. This is where many times it determines if a story is worth it and if spending your time on it was worth it. The thing with serialized stories is that many times they use metaphors, poems, drawings, fantasies, etc. to convey their message. Because their format does not allow them to be direct (which is the main advantage of drama series) and that is that they often feel encapsulated because their focus is on certain types of topics and many times they can feel short, underdeveloped and confusing.

Honestly. I don't care if they finally hit the reset button, I care more if the stories have something to say, which is why I also don't like to dismiss episodes that repeat familiar narratives. Because in the end it matters more to me if the stories have something new to say about their world or if they explore new facets and dynamics between their characters. Guest star or no guest star, this episode and both its ideas and characters spoke to me and relatable to me, I don't ask for much more from The Simpsons these days.

Last edited:
A bit pointless just for fun trivia:

The first bit of the pranking montage where Calvin scares Homer in the shower with a large plastic crocodile figurine (I assume it's a toy, as I don't think Calvin would dare subject a taxidermied specimen to running hot water as it'd ruin it) I thought was especially amusing and coincidental as I happen to have a similar plastic crocodile at home (A relic from the late 90s, I think. I never could bring myself to get rid of it, lol). Not the same slightly more realistic colors but the same size and near similar posing. Posting a pic for each.

1243478.png

356576.png

Last edited:
I'm going to dissect the main plot later because I loved it. But the subplot is not far behind, probably the best of the children of... The entire HD era? I already said it, but I love when children are characterized according to their age and it is also a favorable presentation of Lisa that takes advantage of a side that has rarely been explored: her fun side and her role reversal with Bart being the voice of the reason. It's a refreshing change from the tired dynamic of the two of them.

Man, Carolyn Omine is superlative. Between Pixelated and Afraid, My Octopus and a Teacher, Treehouse of Horror XXXIII and now this, she's become the most consistent co-runner yet and the guaranty of modern Simpsons default.

5/5
My feelings exactly, my friend !!

@CousinMerl AV Club stopped reviewing Simpsons and Bob’s. Probably couldn’t pay Dennis to review them anymore, or he got tired of it.

Phil stopped for the same reason, only for his channel and not AV Club. Phil always had the best reviews out of anyone doing them episode by episode.

That being said this episode was okay. The subplot was better than the main. I did not like the message at the end. It felt as a way to excuse Abe's shittiness towards Homer over the years. I guess that's Simpsons nowadays though.

2.5/5, rounded up to 3 cause the subplot was pretty entertaining.

I honestly don’t put stock in any Simpsons episode reviews other than the ones on this site (and not all of them, because there are…a few…who give 1/5 to everything).

AV Club was good, also liked Phil Payton.
AV Club stopped reviewing Simpsons and Bob’s. Probably couldn’t pay Dennis to review them anymore, or he got tired of it.
Phil stopped for the same reason, only for his channel and not AV Club. Phil always had the best reviews out of anyone doing them episode by episode.

@orangemo, Didn't Phil Payton stop it since he lost interest in the show? I think he at first moved the reviewing for the subscribers (making it exclusive wasn't a good move & showed a bit of a decline IMO) but then he apparently stopped doing the reviews altogether. Also with how his review for the 700th episode ('Manger Things') was (extra snippy & sarcastic), it was apparent that he, well, didn't really give a shit anymore.

I dunno why the AV Club guy stopped, but I'm also feeling it might have been due to just losing interest. What was the final one, btw?

@orangemo, Didn't Phil Payton stop it since he lost interest in the show? I think he at first moved the reviewing for the subscribers (making it exclusive wasn't a good move & showed a bit of a decline IMO) but then he apparently stopped doing the reviews altogether. Also with how his review for the 700th episode ('Manger Things') was (extra snippy & sarcastic), it was apparent that he, well, didn't really give a shit anymore.

I dunno why the AV Club guy stopped, but I'm also feeling it might have been due to just losing interest. What was the final one, btw?
The last review Dennis did I believe was The Way of the Dog.

Phil stopped because his channel was declining. He's shutting down his channel after this year, so if he does any videos, they will be out before the end of the year before he shuts off the channel for good.

He still does watch the show. I talk with him every now and then about it. "Manger Things" was shit though, so I don't blame him for being sarcastic in it.

Dennis indicated that behind-the-scenes stuff was responsible if I recall correctly.

Back