2018 NHC Winter Music Showdown (Voting Thread:RESULTS)

1. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef) (dunno tbh)
2. Gang of Youths – Radioface (chimes fluttered between "I like this" and "ow my head" so yeah)
3. Shai Maestro – Angelo (easy)
4. Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep (both ok but the vocals weren't my fave in the other)
5. Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is (dunno tbh)
6. Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times (liked it more when the strings came in)
7. The Mauskovic Dance Band - It's All Mauskovic (I dig the dance beat but it's not amazing)
8. The Knife – Handy-Man (ugh dunno tbh)

01. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)
02. Gang of Youths - Radioface
03. The Blue Stones - The Hard Part
04. Ravyn Lenae - Sticky
05. Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is
06. Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times
07. FJ Mcmahon – Black Night Woman
08. The Knife – Handy-Man

1. Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
2. Lil Noid - Load My Clip
3. Shai Maestro – Angelo (both are meh)
4. Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep (both are meh)
5. Ovens - I Can't Hang
6. Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times
7. FJ Mcmahon – Black Night Woman
8. The Knife – Handy-Man

1.Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
2.Lil Noid - Load My Clip
3.Shai Maestro – Angelo
4.Ravyn Lenae – Sticky
5.Ovens - I Can't Hang
6.Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times
7.FJ Mcmahon – Black Night Woman
8.The Knife – Handy-Man

1. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)
2. Gang of Youths – Radioface
3. The Blue Stones - The Hard Part
4. Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep
5. Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is
6. Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times
8. Boyskout – Eye Makeup

Last edited:
1. Black Moon - Enta Da Stage - Unlike Main Source, I actually am somewhat familiar with Black Moon. Think I found about about them when I was looking for future showdown contenders, but that never happened. Anyways both of these are good rap songs, but I'm giving the edge to Black Moon without a doubt. Oddisee was good, but the chorus while decent wasn't really my style and Enta Da Stage was just completely up my alley.

2. Gang Of Youths - Radioface - Honestly, I really did not like that Lil Noid song. The beat was really annoying and borderline ear-piercing and sounds like a 2 year old banging on a xylophone. The vocals I can barely understand because it's mixed so badly and because it sounds like the lyrics are being mumbled, so I can't understand if it was trying to make a point or not. I'm not too big on Radioface either, but it's a lot less grating on the years and is a chill song, but it does overstay its welcome with it being a couple minutes too long. Either way, it gets the vote just by default due to how much I didn't like the other song.

3. The Blue Stones - The Hard Part - I like both of these equally. Angelo is nice and chill and The Hard Part while it is generic garage rock, I still dug it. Not 100% sure which one to give it to, but I'll just go with The Hard Part.

4. Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep - I prefer the jazzy track over the other one by a long shot. Sticky is fine, but it didn't do too much for me and the vocals weren't to my liking.

5. Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is - I was so close to giving the vote to Ovens. I really liked it, but the one thing that kept me from giving it was the fact that it's too short. When it ended it just gave me the "That's it?" feeling, while Stephen Bishop delivered on that really cheesy, but so enjoyable at the same time 80's feel. Either way, this is one of the better rounds of this showdown.

6. Art Garfunkel - Watermark - Oh hey, it's that other guy from Simon and Garfunkel! I believe this is the first I've ever heard of his solo career. I mean, I probably assumed he had one at one point, but he's always been overshadowed by Paul Simon. Anyways, this song was really good. It was a really calm listen and Mr. Garfunkel really shines with his great voice. The other song was fine, but it's another song that just comes and goes.

7. FJ Mcmahon – Black Night Woman - I normally would go crazy for a song like Black Night Woman since I normally love this style of folk music from the 60's-70's, but for some reason this one just didn't interest me all that much. Yet, I'm still giving the vote to that because I didn't really care for It's All Mauskovic. Instrumentation-wise it felt very lacking and honestly found it more dull than the other song despite this one having more going on and it went on for way too long. So, Black Night Woman barely wins that one for me.

8. Boyskout - Eye Make Up - Ok, judging from all the songs I've heard in this showdown, Handy Man is the worst one. I mean, I'll give Lil Noid credit, that one was more lo-fi, so I can understand why it sounds like shit. This is apparently a song from the soundtrack of song Swedish movie that has a 4.3 on IMDB, so I guess the movie is just as good as the song. It's so bad I don't even know what to say. Really the only thing I can say is that it sounds like the shitty music I heard in Ballistic: Ecks v Sever which is fitting I guess when we're on the subject of shitty movies. Eye Make Up is bad too, but it's less bad and it feels more like a song than the other one does. Fuck, this has been a really underwhelming round, but that usually seems to be the case for 1D rounds.

3. The Blue Stones - The Hard Part
5. Ovens - I Can't Hang
6. Art Garfunkel – Watermark
8. The Knife – Handy-Man

3. Shai Maestro – Angelo
5. Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is
6. Art Garfunkel – Watermark
7. The Mauskovic Dance Band - It's All Mauskovic
8. Boyskout – Eye Makeup

1. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)
2. Lil Noid - Load My Clip
3. Shai Maestro – Angelo
5. Ovens - I Can't Hang
6. Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times (sure)
7. The Mauskovic Dance Band - It's All Mauskovic (best song of the round)
8. The Knife – Handy-Man (man why do people only nominate the mediocre knife songs)

Sorry for not sending out mentions sooner. The round ends in just under an hour if anyone who hasn't voted still wants to slip theirs in. [MENTION=75854]Andre[/MENTION] [MENTION=38730]kaos[/MENTION] [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION] [MENTION=13089]Tinselled Jim[/MENTION] [MENTION=53986]OldSchoolerSimpsons[/MENTION] [MENTION=67747]pax[/MENTION] [MENTION=61725]Tromboon[/MENTION]

ROUND 1D RESULTS

Black Moon - Enta Da Stage (9)
vs
Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef) (10)

Eliminated: Black Moon - Enta Da Stage (Nominated by: [MENTION=75854]Andre[/MENTION])

Lil Noid - Load My Clip (4)
vs
Gang of Youths – Radioface (15)

Eliminated: Lil Noid - Load My Clip (Nominated by: [MENTION=32807]Covfefe Christmas[/MENTION])

Shai Maestro – Angelo (12)
vs
The Blue Stones - The Hard Part (7)

Eliminated: The Blue Stones - The Hard Part (Nominated by: [MENTION=66897]Mr. Teenie[/MENTION])

Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep (9)
vs
Ravyn Lenae – Sticky (10)

Eliminated: Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep (Nominated by: [MENTION=156]Matty[/MENTION])

Ovens - I Can't Hang (8)
vs
Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is (11)

Eliminated: Ovens - I Can't Hang (Nominated by: [MENTION=32807]Covfefe Christmas[/MENTION])

Art Garfunkel – Watermark (10)
vs
Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times (9)

Eliminated: Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times (Nominated by: [MENTION=47429]Frightened Inmate No. 2[/MENTION])

FJ Mcmahon – Black Night Woman (9)
vs
The Mauskovic Dance Band - It's All Mauskovic (10)

Eliminated: FJ Mcmahon – Black Night Woman (Nominated by: [MENTION=47429]Frightened Inmate No. 2[/MENTION])

The Knife – Handy-Man (11)
vs
Boyskout – Eye Makeup (8)

Eliminated: Boyskout – Eye Makeup (Nominated by: [MENTION=45949]The Spruce Moose[/MENTION])

weaves (garfunkel is 100% my shit tho)
sammus (knife submitter should be ashamed for those picks)
keiko (dont like the finesse track. no brainer)
bae (goat)
miracle musical (no question this match stings)
shai (mehhhh?)
village people (good cheese vs bad cheese)
oddisee (not a good oddisee track tho)

1. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq
2. Sammus - Comments Disabled
3. Keiko Matsui – Reflections
4. Yung Bae – Rainbows
5. Miracle Musical - Dream Sweet in Sea Major
6. Shai Maestro – Angelo
7. Psyche Origami - Commercial Property
8. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)

1. Art Garfunkel – Watermark (Scream is a migrane in the form of a song)
2. Sammus - Comments Disabled (the other is fine)
3. Keiko Matsui – Reflections
4. Yung Bae – Rainbows
5. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (hardest match of the round)
6. Shai Maestro – Angelo
7.Village People – Fire Island
8. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef) (the other one is bad and it's my fault you heard it)

Last edited:
1. Art Garfunkel – Watermark
3. Lord Finesse - Funky Technician
4. Joy Peters - It Will Be Heaven
6. New Model Army - Better Than Them
7. Village People – Fire Island

1. Weaves (dig both)
2. Sammus (don't really care for either)
3. Lord Finesse (other track is a snoozer)
4. Yung Bae
5. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) (don't like that other song)
6. Shai Maestro (don't care for either)
7. Psyche Origami (Both okay)
8. Oddisee

1. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq
6. New Model Army - Better Than Them

1.Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (both good)
2.The Knife – High School Poem (not hot on either)
3.Lord Finesse - Funky Technician (good tune)
4.Joy Peters - It Will Be Heaven (Good match)
5.Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (Other song is decent.)
6.New Model Army - Better Than Them (both okay)
7.Village People – Fire Island (both okay)
8.Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef) (both meh)

1. Art Garfunkel – "Watermark"
2. Sammus - "Comments Disabled"
3. Keiko Matsui – "Reflections"
4. Joy Peters - "It Will Be Heaven"
5. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - "Body to Body"
6. Shai Maestro – "Angelo"
7. Psyche Origami - "Commercial Property"
8. Oddisee - "Contradiction's Maze" (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)

1. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (I feel like I prefer Garfunkel. But Weaves is more unique and interesting so it gets my vote)
2. Sammus - Comments Disabled (Don't really care for either Knife track here and this one felt too short. Sammus is good though.)
3. Keiko Matsui – Reflections (Reflections is the best instrumental song in the round. Lord Finesse is fine too)
4. Yung Bae – Rainbows (Now this is my kinda track)
5. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (See round 4)
6. Shai Maestro – Angelo (Don't really care for this song but it's definitely better than LMA so here's a vote)
7. Psyche Origami - Commercial Property (I actually like this song tbh)
8. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef) (Man that Knife song is so terrible. It's less than 3 minutes but somehow feels like it's going on too long. Again, Oddissee is actually good so it gets the vote)

1. Art Garfunkel – Watermark
6. Shai Maestro – Angelo
8. The Knife – Handy-Man

1. Art Garfunkel - Watermark (Please don't make me listen to Scream again)
2. Sammus - Comments Disabled (Almost a coin flip case. High School Poem is way too short to make a big impact though, so I'm going with Sammus.)
3. Lord Finesse - Funky Technician (I forgot how the first song went already. The other is as the title says, funky.)
5. Miracle Musical - Dream Sweet in Sea Major (Not an easy match. Body To Body is comfy 80's pop, but this is so much more unique.)
6. New Model Army - We're Better Than Them
7. Village People - Fire Island (I legit really dig the first song as well, it's just that Village People fucking rock)
8. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (The Knife track is amusingly corny even though it's a lot worse than the first one in the round. The first song is fine enough.)

Last edited:
1. Art Garfunkel
2. Sammus
3. Lord Finesse
4. Yung Bae
5. Tomoko Aran
6. Shai Maestro
7. Village People
8. Oddisee

ROUND 2A

Art Garfunkel – Watermark
vs
Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq

Sammus - Comments Disabled
vs
The Knife – High School Poem

Keiko Matsui – Reflections
vs
Lord Finesse - Funky Technician

Joy Peters - It Will Be Heaven
vs
Yung Bae – Rainbows

Miracle Musical - Dream Sweet in Sea Major
vs
Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body

Shai Maestro – Angelo
vs
New Model Army - Better Than Them

Psyche Origami - Commercial Property
vs
Village People – Fire Island

Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)
vs
The Knife – Handy-Man

1. Art Garfunkel – Watermark (Without a doubt.)

2. Sammus - Comments Disabled - This Knife song isn't as bad as the other one, but that's not that much of an accomplishment. This song is just too much nothing to be in a showdown.

3. Lord Finesse - Funky Technician - Keiko Matsui, I know that name. Telso recommended one of her albums to me, but never got around to it. Wonder if this nomination was him in disguise. (I can dream.) Anyways, it's a nice sounding-song and I really liked it, but it did go on for a bit too long. As for Lord Finesse, I feel like I've heard this song before as the beat sounds really familiar. (Editor's Note: Ok, it wasn't this song, it was another 90's hip hop song that samples the same song. They Want EFX by Das EFX.) I like that song a lot more because I normally go towards the hip hop song.

4. Yung Bae – Rainbows - Joy Peters was fun pop, but Rainbows is easily the better track.

5. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body - Other song is decent, but for me this is an easy pick.

6. Shai Maestro – Angelo - The drums in the other song is pretty good, but meh on every other aspect.

7. Village People – Fire Island - Other song is good, but I really want to get inside the Village People song.

8. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef) - no more knife plz

1. Art Garfunkel – Watermark (Certainly not the winner of the showdown to me but I can't vote for the other)
2. Sammus - Comments Disabled (Easy choice even though I like this particular The Knife submission well enough)
3. Keiko Matsui – Reflections (More my thing)
4. Joy Peters - It Will Be Heaven (More my thing, as well)
5. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (I really love both after repeated listens. Painful match up.)
6. Shai Maestro – Angelo (Both are fine)
7. Village People – Fire Island (Fine with either)
8. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef) (Easy choice)

Back