2018 NHC Winter Music Showdown (Voting Thread:RESULTS)

1. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Escape (beat is flames)
2. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (odd but I liked it)
3. Allie X- Simon Says (both EH, but I liked this a lil more)
4. John Cale- Hanky Panky Nohow (CRJ >>>>> tho, but it shouldn't have been there)
5. Main Source - Live At The Barbecue (it's a classic, prob should have looked for a deeper cut, but weh)
6. Sammus - Comments Disabled (I'm pink like Majin Boo)
7. Tomoko Aran- Body To Body (coin flip)
8. Alvvays - Dreams Tonite (didnt like the other track)

1. Tom Waits

Pretty close match. I think the Tom Waits song was more interesting, because the Pete Rock & CL Smooth song was like a lot of songs I've heard before.

2. A Silent Film

A Silent Film was a pretty bland song. Average inspirational instrumental and bad vocals. The other song was pretty overly weird and the ending just sucked. I could probably vote for both, but it wouldn't bother me if either went through.

3. East River Pipe

Simon Says was an extremely generic plodding breathy vocal song. I hear songs like it all the time and they never leave an impression and Simon Says was no different. East River Pipe was okay. Pretty tame stuff but it was pleasant. I guess it gets the vote even though I don't feel strongly about it.

4. John Cale

John Cale song was pleasant. Carly Rae song was an okay pop song. I'm sure she has better.

5. Main Source

Everyone knows of Main Source, but there's no denying it's a classic. The other song... uh, I forget. I just remember it had a British dude moaning.

6. Sammus

No idea who Sammus is, but this track was great. Excellent flow and hook. The other song was acceptable, it wasn't super catchy but it was tight and had good harmonies. But it doesn't really stand a chance sadly. Sorry whoever.

7. Tomoko Aran

Annoying song versus cheesy song. Yeah, the cheesy song wins.

8. Alvvays

The Alvvays song was alright. Pretty much your standard breathy alt rock thing. XTC had a few nice elements but I didn't like the guy's voice. So I'll go with Alvvays since I could probably hear it more without getting sick of it.

1. Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Escape
2. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq
3. East River Pipe – Silhouette Town
4. John Cale - Hanky Panky Nohow (this one fuckin hurt)
5. The Go Betweens - That Way
6. Sammus - Comments Disabled (another hard match)
7. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (brutal af this round)
8. XTC – Earn Enough For Us

1. Tom Waits- Step Right Up
I really dig both. Definitely a tough match. Tom Waits kept my attention longer, as I felt like I needed to listen more closely, so he gets my vote here.

Scream is an absolute jam, and Tagaq's vocals add to Weaves' general goodness. A Silent Film was just really blah, and definitely too long for what it had to offer.

3. Allie X – Simon Says
Simon Says is definitely the kind of stuff I like to jam to while I'm doing other things, and would be willing to see what else Allie X has to offer. The other track mostly bored me a little.

4. John Cale - Hanky Panky Nohow
Hanky Panky Nohow is genuinely a pleasant little tune. Making the Most of Tonight is fine, but it's not one of Jepsen's best.

5. Main Source - Live At The BBQ
A little boring but pleasant vs actually good. Not a hard choice for me.

6. Sammus - Comments Disabled
Laika was a fine song, nothing against it really. I love Comments Disabled though, and I definitely prefer it.

7. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body
Flamingo had a killer beat, but the vocals weren't really doing it for me. Body to Body was 100% jamming though.

8. Alvvays - Dreams Tonite
I found both of these okay, but wasn't really in love with either. I'd be more likely to toss on Alvvays in the background at least, so I'm going with that.

I already made my case for this in Discord but to reiterate - Carly Rae Jepsen has been talked about to death in Discord. almost everyone in the music listening krew has heard the album the pick is from. it was #37 on the NHC's latest top 100 albums list. I know the showdown rules technically don't prohibit it but it's still really blatantly going against the music showdown's spirit of discovering new music to submit something that everyone has heard. I obviously won't fault anyone who's hearing the song for the first time for voting for it (hell I voted Main Source round 5), but I'm gonna vote it out so that future rounds are fairer to new music discoveries. (for the record it was easily the better song in the match.)

2. A Silent Film - Danny, Dakota and the Wishing Well

Last edited:

this match was so much better than rounds 1a and 1b tbh

1. Tom Waits- Step Right Up (this was really close, both great. but i like the lyrics here just a little bet better)

2. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (song of the round?? song of the round. amazing. other song was the shit i hear on the local alt-rock station that reminds me i don't like listening to the local alt-rock station)

3. East River Pipe – Silhouette Town (i barely remember any of these songs despite listening to them like, 30 minutes ago. east river is more my jam but both are pretty generic)

4. John Cale - Hanky Panky Nohow (paris 1919 and barracuda are better, but this is one of the best vu solo songs out there. spite vote, tbh)
5. Main Source - Live At The BBQ (pretty well known song but the other was too the smiths for me, sorry)
6. Sammus - Comments Disabled (i can't even remember what the other song sounded like. this song gets pretty ... internet ... but i enjoy the beat)
7. Kero Kero Bonito – Flamingo (not to hate on the other song (its really really good and i'll definitly check them out) give me corny nursery rhymes over "the power of love" any day of the week_
8. XTC – Earn Enough For Us (i always want to like xtc more than i do. this is ok. the alvvays song was decent too, but not my fave. basically a coin flip)

I already made my case for this in Discord but to reiterate - Carly Rae Jepsen has been talked about to death in Discord. almost everyone in the music listening krew has heard the album the pick is from. it was #37 on the NHC's latest top 100 albums list. I know the showdown rules technically don't prohibit it but it's still really blatantly going against the music showdown's spirit of discovering new music to submit something that everyone has heard. I obviously won't fault anyone who's hearing the song for the first time for voting for it (hell I voted Main Source round 5), but I'm gonna vote it out so that future rounds are fairer to new music discoveries. (for the record it was easily the better song in the match.)

I addressed this in discord, but I will address it here as well so everyone knows what's up. For the summer showdown, the rules will be altered to reflect that any tracks from an album in the top fifty of NHC's best albums list will no longer be allowed. This will help to keep out songs that many people here specifically will know. The aim is to hear new music, and I agree that we can't do that as effectively when people are submitting songs that many people on NHC are familiar with. This will apply specifically to the most recent list (at the time of the showdown). I will include the link to said list within the rules to make it as easy as possible.

Better late than never I suppose.

1. Tom Waits- Step Right Up - I knew which one I was going to pick before I started listening to this round. I'm probably biased because I've been a Tom Waits fan ever since I was 11 and my dad and grandma met him in person at one point. I also started his discography not too long ago, but I'm only two albums in and the song that comes from this album is the third one, so... better get back to it. Anyways, Escape is great classic 90's hip-hop with a great beat and lyrics, but Step Right Up is filled with great songwriting, bouncy instrumentation that makes me want to move my feet and a phenomenal vocal performance from Tom Waits which really shows off his amazing vocal range.

2. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq - A Silent Film was just OK. Not bad, but it didn't stand out to me and it sounds like the kind of music I'd hear in the background at a book store or something. I can't say the same for Scream which is a really odd song, but I dig it. It does go on a bit too long just like the song against it does, but it's still interesting to listen to.

3. Allie X – Simon Says - I'm actually going to go against the popular vote and go with Simon Says. I like both of these songs equally, Silhouette Town is a nice chill acoustic guitar song, but I got more vibes from Simon Says and it was a really nice song to chill to.

4. Carly Rae Jepsen - Making The Most Of The Night - I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not familiar with John Cale outside of Shrek. Hanky Panky Nohow is a pretty good slow jam and Cale has a really good voice, but I'm going to go with the controversial choice of picking Carly Rae Jepsen. People are saying that she shouldn't be in the showdown which I can't argue with, but for me I think I'm going with the fun pop song. I don't believe in spite voting and it's going to lose anyways so :liptonkermit:

5. Main Source - Live At The BBQ - That Way was a pleasant listen, but a bit too repetitive for my tastes. "that way" is probably going to be the only words I remember from it after listening. Live at the BBQ on the other hand is so good that I'm ashamed that I'm not familiar with these guys. And I call myself a classic hip hop fan, jesus christ. Fuck it, Breaking Atoms is going to be the next album I'll listen to. Whoever nominated this, you've done your job very well.

6. Sammus - Comments Disabled - Laika is a fine listen, but Comments Disabled is easily the better song. Man, we've been getting some really good hip-hop this round. bmc approves.

7. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body - tbh, I was listening to the showdown in the background while doing other things, so when this song started I thought it was an ad for Red Lobster or something that I was about to skip only to find out it's the actual song. Anyways, it's not really my kind of song, but there's nothing bad about it. It's pleasant enough and the message behind it is good, but overall it isn't a song I'd track down. The other song however, oh my god, I have a soft spot for 80's synthpop. Hell, Always by Erasure is my most listened to song of 2017 according to Spotify, (Yes, I know it's from the 90's so shh) so synthpop from Japan is something I can easily get behind.

8. XTC – Earn Enough For Us - So Alvvays is a band that I've heard quite a bit about and judging from this song, they're probably worth listening to. This is just coming from an outsiders perspective, but if I were to speculate, I would guess that they have better songs than this one. While I investigate that sometime in 2019 or later, (fuckin' i don't know) I'm going to give the vote to XTC since I found it to be more catchy.

01. Tom Waits - Step Right Up
02. A Silent Film - Danny, Dakota and the Wishing Well
03. East River Pipe – Silhouette Town
04. Carly Rae Jepsen – Making the Most of Tonight
05. The Go Betweens - That Way
06. Twin Cabins – Laika
07. Kero Kero Bonito – Flamingo
08. XTC – Earn Enough For Us

1. Tom Waits - Step Right Up (Step Right Up is extremely Tom Waits and I must vote for it)
2. A Silent Film - Danny, Dakota and the Wishing Well (Had to leave the live listen as A Silent Film's track was starting and I was sad bc I like that opening but it's just ok. Nothing amazing. But I really don't like the other track so weh.)
3. Allie X – Simon Says (Simon Says was ok but kinda sleepy. Silhouette Town sorta the same? Very "relaxed" songs..not bad but not exciting either)
4. Carly Rae Jepsen – Making the Most of Tonight (I don't want to have to vote for the very popular Carly Rae but she is gonna get voted out anyway and the other song wasn't much to me -_-; )
5. Main Source - Live At The BBQ (dat album cover; also this song is better)
6. Sammus - Comments Disabled (Sammus here...Aran below...hmmm......[/nerd]. Not much to say about these tbh.)
7. Kero Kero Bonito – Flamingo (I REALLY like both a lot but ~furamingo~)
8. Alvvays - Dreams Tonite (Alvvays song was alright, as is XTC song. Coin flip tbh)

1. Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Escape (Tom Waits is the worst)
2. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (that other song is so dull. Why release music this bland)
3. East River Pipe – Silhouette Town (dig both)
4. John Cale - Hanky Panky Nohow (yeah, not voting for CRJ)
5. Main Source - Live At The BBQ (a classic)
6. Twin Cabins – Laika (don't like either)
7. Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (the other song is a bit much)
8. XTC – Earn Enough For Us (need to get into XTC more)

1.Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Escape (was kinda vibing to Waits at the end but I still just don't like em that much. Other song is great)
2.Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (that other song is basically what happens when everyone can make music)
3.East River Pipe – Silhouette Town (bored by the other song this is nice)
4.Carly Rae Jepsen – Making the Most of Tonight (disregarding everything about this it's still the better song)
5.Main Source - Live At The BBQ (One of the best hip hop tracks out there tbh)
6.Twin Cabins – Laika (didn't feel both really)
7.Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (didn't like the other one at all)
8. Alvvays - Dreams Tonite (both pretty forgettable tracks but still decent)

1. Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Escape (Tom Waits sounds like rambling nonsense)
2. Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (I didn't like either of these, so I consulted Edmund to help me out)
3. East River Pipe – Silhouette Town (this should go far)
4. Carly Rae Jepsen – Making the Most of Tonight (John Cale is winning anyway so why not)
5. Main Source - Live At The BBQ (this is sooo good)
6. Sammus - Comments Disabled (tough but I'll go with this)
7. Kero Kero Bonito – Flamingo (hardest match of the round)
8. Alvvays - Dreams Tonite (both are really good)

Just under 24 hours if anyone else is still planning on voting. [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION] [MENTION=13089]Tinselled Jim[/MENTION] [MENTION=61725]Tromboon[/MENTION] [MENTION=156]Matty[/MENTION] [MENTION=45538]Sam[/MENTION]

ROUND 1C RESULTS

Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Escape (8)
vs
Tom Waits- Step Right Up (13)

Eliminated: Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Escape (Nominated by: [MENTION=75854]Andre[/MENTION])

A Silent Film - Danny, Dakota and the Wishing Well (10)
vs
Weaves – Scream feat Tanya Tagaq (11)

Eliminated: A Silent Film - Danny, Dakota and the Wishing Well (Nominated by: [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION])

Allie X – Simon Says (11)
vs
East River Pipe – Silhouette Town (10)

Eliminated: East River Pipe – Silhouette Town (Nominated by: [MENTION=32798]soy boy santa[/MENTION])

John Cale - Hanky Panky Nohow (14)
vs
Carly Rae Jepsen – Making the Most of Tonight (7)

Eliminated: Carly Rae Jepsen – Making the Most of Tonight (Nominated by: [MENTION=53986]OldSchoolerSimpsons[/MENTION])

The Go Betweens - That Way (2)
vs
Main Source - Live At The BBQ (19)

Eliminated: The Go Betweens - That Way (Nominated by: [MENTION=13089]Tinselled Jim[/MENTION])

Sammus - Comments Disabled (17)
vs
Twin Cabins – Laika (4)

Eliminated: Twin Cabins – Laika (Nominated by: [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION])

Kero Kero Bonito – Flamingo (7)
vs
Tomoko Aran (亜蘭知子) - Body to Body (14)

Eliminated: Kero Kero Bonito – Flamingo (Nominated by: [MENTION=61725]Tromboon[/MENTION])

Alvvays - Dreams Tonite (9)
vs
XTC – Earn Enough For Us (12)

Eliminated: Alvvays - Dreams Tonite (Nominated by: [MENTION=47429]Frightened Inmate No. 2[/MENTION])

1. Oddisee - "Contradiction's Maze" (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)
2. Gang of Youths – "Radioface"
3. The Blue Stones - "The Hard Part"
4. Ravyn Lenae – "Sticky"
5. Stephen Bishop - "Think I Know What Love Is"
6. Lee Hazlewood - "Cold Hard Times"
7. FJ Mcmahon – "Black Night Woman"
8. Boyskout – "Eye Makeup"

1. Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)
2. Gang of Youths – Radioface
3. The Blue Stones – The Hard Part
4. Ravyn Lenae – Sticky
5. Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is
6. Art Garfunkel – Watermark
7. The Mauskovic Dance Band - It's All Mauskovic
8. The Knife – Handy-Man

Last edited:
ROUND 1D

Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
vs
Oddisee - Contradiction's Maze (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)

Lil Noid - Load My Clip
vs
Gang of Youths – Radioface

Shai Maestro – Angelo
vs
The Blue Stones - The Hard Part

Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep
vs
Ravyn Lenae – Sticky

Ovens - I Can't Hang
vs
Stephen Bishop - Think I Know What Love Is

Art Garfunkel – Watermark
vs
Lee Hazlewood - Cold Hard Times

FJ Mcmahon – Black Night Woman
vs
The Mauskovic Dance Band - It's All Mauskovic

The Knife – Handy-Man
vs
Boyskout – Eye Makeup

3. Shai Maestro – Angelo
4. Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep
8. Boyskout – Eye Makeup

1. black moon (pretty close)
2. gang of youths (super bland vs extremely irritating)
3. shai maestro (chill)
4. ravyn lenae (first one was passable, second one was almost a Slapper)
5. stephen bishop (not a huge fan of either)
6. garf (never really liked lee hazlewood)
7. mauskovic dance band (i'll take stilted and weird over the zzz other song)
8. the knife (this made me laugh but these both suck the big one)

1. Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
3. The Blue Stones - The Hard Part
4. Ravyn Lenae – Sticky
8. Boyskout – Eye Makeup (Thanks Edmund!)

I really liked both of these. I went for Contradiction's Maze because I really enjoyed the vocals in the chorus, as well as the beat.

2. Lil Noid - Load My Clip
Radioface was a pleasant enough listen. Nothing against it really. It just didn't really grab my attention. Load My Clip definitely grabbed my attention. The chimes and vocals were great. Will be checking out more from Lil Noid.

3. Shai Maestro – Angelo
The Hard Part was fine. If I were a different person I might have liked it. Angelo was definitely more interesting though, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

4. Ravyn Lenae – Sticky
These are both pretty fantastic. It was easy to choose though. Sticky is just such a jam, and has great vocals, bass, and production.

5. Ovens - I Can't Hang
Not in love with either, but both are pleasant enough. I definitely enjoyed I Can't Hang more though.

Both of these are pretty chill (the randomizer is a strange creature tbh), and pleasant enough. Neither really did it for me today. I feel like Watermark had a bit more going on.

Black Night Woman was an enjoyable enough listen. It's All Mauskovic is totally my thing though, an absolute jam, will seek out more.

8. Boyskout – Eye Makeup
Easy match. I did not enjoy the song from The Knife. I really enjoyed the song from Boyskout.

1. Oddisee

Close match. First track kind of bled together with the other rap so far in the showdown but it wasn't bad. The other one kicked off with a weird mix but it improved as it went on. I could vote for both.

2. Gang of Youths

The first song was absolutely horrible. Sleepy rapper combined with an obnoxious bleating beat. Don't take this to mean I thought the other song was anything special, because I didn't. I wouldn't return to either of these but I wanted the first song to end like 30 seconds in.

3. Shai Maestro

Shai Maestro was pretty good. Lots of nice vibes with the chill instrumentation. The other song was forgettable rock that I struggle to describe.

4. Ravyn Lenae

The first song was okay. The second song was much more of a jam. Gotta love that haunted house music. Wouldn't mind if either of these won though.

5. Stephen Bishop

Ovens was kinda mediocre. A dude clumsily sings and there's a solo and it ends. Quite forgettable but not really offensive. Stephen Bishop overdid it on the cheese probably but there's some good hooks in it. Tossup.

6. Lee Hazlewood

Pretty close match. Art Garfunkel song was pleasant, but Lee Hazlewood had more meat. However Lee Hazlewood also had some really distracting strings that kinda took away from it. Coin toss time! Lee it is.

7. FJ McMahon

Weird match. The first song was OK although it definitely bled with the previous 2 songs. The second one... kinda grooved? Felt unfinished. Didn't find it actively annoying but wasn't wowed enough to give it the edge.

8. Boyskout

The Knife made me crack up. Seriously, a robot couldn't make a more generic song. Boyskout is sadly also pretty shit. It's a forgettable droning song with almost nothing of note. What a sour way to end the run of original songs...

1. Oddisee - "Contradiction's Maze" (Ft. Maimouna Youssef)
2. Gang of Youths – "Radioface"
3. Shai Maestro – "Angelo"
4. Ravyn Lenae – "Sticky"
5. Ovens - "I Can't Hang"
6. Art Garfunkel - "Watermark"
7. The Mauskovic Dance Band – "It's All Mauskovic"
8. Boyskout – "Eye Makeup"

C > A > B > D

1. Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
3. Shai Maestro – Angelo
4. Jazz Party - Talking in your Sleep