Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: The Official Thread of the Movie

Because it's not like Snyder is known for doing R-rated movies based on violent subject matter, is he? :rolleyes:

Plenty of comic versions of Batman have had content that could easily reach an R-rating were they put on film. I usually agree with your posts, Ryan, but seriously give me a break on this. This is just ridiculous to criticize.

Why isn't it unrated like most DVD releases? Why is it R-Rated?

Oh yeah: Deadpool.

Thus this is really stupid.

yes, but wasn't it previously pg-13? they bumped it to r... after the tremendous success of Deadpool.

It's more likely that Snyder's original cut was R and then it was re-cut for PG-13.

Also why some people are acting like this is some sort of strike against the film is beyond me. OMG It's copying Deadpool! So fucking what if it is (like Hollywood ever has very many original ideas anyway), I'll happily go watch a violent action movie by Snyder, a man who is known for doing (on the whole) pretty damn good violent action movies.

Either Way calf tf down folks. it wasn't MEANT to be rated r it's just another cut being released. superhero movies have done this before

the xmen series had .5 editions, which are essentially unrated. i think spider-man 2 did as well. also hancock was a superhero movie! it had an unrated cut. they were definitely advertised for being unrated at the time so it's still the same basic idea

Ah yes, "Hancock".

I look forward to the R-rated cut of BvS where Batman shoves Lex's head up Superman's ass.

A few days ago I got a phone call during which I made the fatal error of agreeing to go see this insanely unpromising looking film whilst half asleep.

Going to a showing tonight at 8:30. The movie is 2 and a half fucking hours long, so I probably won't be home until around midnight.

I didn't care about this movie when it was announced, when I saw the trailer or as the hype train for it steadily built, even with any curiosity I had with regards seeing Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman, it still wasn't enough to get me in any sort of mood for it.

As some of you may have heard, it's been doing insanely poorly critically. Currently sitting at 30% on Rotten Tomatoes as of this post (I've seen it steadily dropping over the past few days so lord knows it could go lower than that).

On the plus side, in spite of these negative reviews, Ben's performance still seems to be getting cited as the silver lining of this dark cloud.

Also, this exists now, and it's pretty great.

Last edited by a moderator:
i liked it a lot
the story is admittedly poor but if you went into this expecting anything other than batman fighting superman you will be disappointed
I knew there was gonna be a lot of plot holes and bullshit and explosions and pretty bits and incohesive story arcs but that's zack snyder's way of directing and I wasn't disappointed in that sense

I will admit to it being lacking in that direction. i will admit to it being a cgi mess. what I won't admit is that it was bad. i liked it. i got what I wanted, which was a movie where batman and superman fight. this movie didn't disappoint, as I got all I wanted from it.

its a garbled mess of a film though. jessie eisenberg was either going for jim carey as anything or john turturro in transformers. a pretty bad miscast. also henry cavill is still unemotional and boring

however I can see why there was so much shit going on in this movie. DC weren't going for a slow burn approach to a cinematic universe. they jump started it with this movie. there's so many cameos and stuff. i won't spoil anything though.

also I like gal gadot as Wonder Woman. i thought she played the character really well. ben affleck too. good job, you two.

this movie just seems so desperate to me. marvel did the cinematic universe so effortlessly. i'm sure it was meticulously planned, but it was greatly executed. here, they just look like a kid trying to fit in in regards to CINEMATIC UNIVERSES. 'well marvel did it so we have to do it too!' and they're doing it so late in the game they have to introduce everything in one movie. it's pretty pathetic

I seriously doubt I'll see this in the theater. I never really had any interest in it, and the poor reviews are only reinforcing that. One thing I'm pleasantly surprised to hear, though, is that Ben Affleck's performance is supposedly pretty good, and very different from Christian Bale's. That will be a relief because I hated Bale's Batman, and the Nolan films were overall blah for me (with the exception of The Dark Knight which was actually fun).

But yeah otherwise it looks like a CGI snorefest. I'll wait for Redbox.

jessie eisenberg was either going for jim carey as anything or john turturro in transformers. a pretty bad miscast.

Ugh yeah literally everything about this Lex Luthor just screamed wrong so I'm not surprised he's one of the common worst things about the movie in all reviews.

every time he was on screen i cringed super hard
they killed whatever dark, serious vibe they wanted by making him the villain
it sucks majorly that snyder is directing justice league too, as he's already proven he can't make critically acclaimed films at all. watchmen was his only good one.

zack synder couldn't make an exciting movie to save his life. watchmen was trite garbage as well

i thought watchmen was a great film personally
suckerpunch, 300, man of steel, that stupid owl movie. they all looked pretty and flashy but uuuugh so boring

I wouldn't say Watchmen was a horrible theatre experience. The original story was probably strong enough to carry the movie. But how he had to tag on his own dumb ending was unbelievable.

His only movie I found to be decent was the Dawn of the Dead remake.

I had read Watchmen right before watching the movie. I think that's why I ended up liking it more than I would've otherwise? It was extremely faithful to a lot of parts, so I enjoyed just seeing them play out on the big screen without much bastardization. However, sometimes too faithful is a bad thing. Things were happening but at the same time, they didn't feel like they were, there was kind of an emptiness to everything, just going through the motions and the script.

I did not care for at all for some things, like the end as mentioned, and that whole scene w/ Silk Spectre and Nite Owl fighting thugs felt someone gratuitous. I feel like SS was done better in the book, and I don't even remember her fighting nearly that much. And that use of Hallelujah made me cringe so bad.

Well, I just got back from the cinema. Time to delve into this shit sandwich while it's still fresh in my head.

Seriously though, I'll give credit where credit is due first, because it'll probably take less time to say positive stuff about the movie. Ben Affleck provides a solid performance as Bruce Wayne. As Batman it's... eh, it's decent, but damn it, that fucking voice modulator makes hims sound so, so dumb at points. It's nowhere near as bad a Christian Bale's throat cancer growling, and I appreciate that they at least give a decent reason for his voice to sound so drastically different by having it be a voice modulator in the suit, but that doesn't make the voice any less shit. It's even unintentionally comical in some dramatic spots (A specific instance of him screaming "NOOOOOO!" springs to mind).

Laurence Fishburne is also one of the movie's genuine strong points in his role as Perry White, editor-in-chief of The Daily Planet. One of the main things critics seem to take issue with in this movie is that it's humorless, but to be perfectly honest, for all the grimdark crap that was going on, there were some moments in there that were clearly intended to be funny and got laughs from the packed house I was part of tonight, the vast majority of them coming from Fishburne. Coming in close second in that regard was Jeremy Irons as Alfred with some wonderfully snide asides while aiding Bruce. These moments are fairly dry in their delivery as opposed to standing out like goofy quips from the movies of the MCU, and they aren't particularly quotable, but they work well enough and it could well be that the reason they work to the extent that they do is that the movie is so damn serious of itself that you find yourself caught off guard when they happen.

Now, here's the thing. I don't particularly mind a superhero movie taking a serious approach. I also don't mind superhero movies being purely silly fun. I appreciate when a good balancing act is pulled off in which both of these elements are showcased in such a way that feels natural as opposed to trying to have a little bit of everything in order to please everybody and ultimately fall flat due to coming off like it doesn't know what it wants to be. "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" has these unexpected little comedic asides without feeling like they're being shoehorned in, and it certainly has a shitload of drama that actually has some promise in premise, but in practice manages to feel like a fucking slog over the span of 2 and a half hours to get to anything even remotely interesting, and that's including some downright bizarre dream sequences lumped in on top of an already weak story that just barely clings to coherency in places. There's also one scene that I'm unsure of on whether or not it was supposed to be funny, disturbing or both, because it leads to a dramatic moment, but it's also really stupid. Suffice it to say, it's a moment that already seems to be somewhat infamous involving a jar of piss.

The entire build-up of the Bruce/Clark rivalry just didn't interest me. It was to the point where I didn't really find myself siding with anyone because I simply couldn't bring myself to care. In a "Vs." movie that's somewhat of an issue to say the least. I actually like the idea of exploring the whole religious reaction of humans aspect of Superman's existence because it's fairly obvious territory to cover. They don't do much with it though and any point that they try to make with regards viewing him as either a Devil or a Christ figure felt like it got muddied up in the insane ramblings of Lex... and now we come to the downright worst thing in the movie.

Jesse Eisenberg was fucking atrocious as Lex Luthor. I don't know how else to put that. Everything he did was just insufferably bad. It was like watching him play that socially awkward type that we automatically associate the likes of himself and Michael Cera with but with the timidness removed so that he just acted like some creepy, awkward lunatic. If this had been a non-established character in a different movie, it might not have been as bad, but as Lex Luthor? It was awful.

Visually the movie has a lot of great stuff going for it, particularly during the final battle, which is just a major treat from start to finish in an otherwise boring movie. Amazingly the actual fight between Batman and Superman is a total letdown in terms of pacing and action. Both battle sequences have some fairly predictable elements, mostly due to the fact that everyone and their grandmother knows that one special thing that allows people to have a chance at going toe to toe with Superman, but at the very least the battle that takes place closer to the end of the movie has a ton of great visual stuff going for it in addition to significantly better pacing than the first one.

The following section is getting a spoiler tag, as it concerns the ending. Nothing specific is said, but I feel as though what I'm talking about could be easily guessed.

On the note of predictability, the ending, which I will go into no specific detail on for spoiler reasons... holy shit they milked it for all it was worth and then some. I was sitting there thinking to myself "Okay, okay we get it, you can do the thing now", but then they kept going... and going... and going, and the whole time I'm thinking "Seriously, just do the fucking thing! Nobody other than the little kids in this audience are falling for this shit. At this point you're just trying to psych us out and I'm not taking the bait!". 

The following section is getting a spoiler tag, but only beware if you give a shit about Justice League teases.

As for any Justice League stuff (Y'know, that thing everyone was saying looked like it was gonna be a detriment to this movie because they'd try and cram too much into it), there's really nothing to worry about in that regard. Wonder Woman aside (Who was pretty fucking awesome once she actually appeared as Wonder Woman), our introduction to other characters (Flash, Cyborg and an amazingly bad ass looking Aquaman) is super brief and more or less feels like one of those Marvel post-credit teaser scenes jammed into the middle of the movie for no real reason other than to be like "Oh yeah, and these people exist". 

And... I guess that's really all there is to talk about. I went into this thing with practically zero hype and my expectations set to the lowest possible point thanks to a combination of not caring much in the first place and of course that 30% RT rating, and still, in spite of the movie undoubtedly having some strong elements that I liked, it certainly wasn't enough to save the overall product from being the amazingly underwhelming end result that it was.

If I had to give this movie a ranking out of 5, it'd probably be 1.5/5. Whatever positives are to be found in this movie, they certainly aren't enough to make me wanna watch it again.

Regardless of how good/bad this one is i will probably watch it when it comes out on dvd/blu ray but i´m not sure if i want too watch this one in theaters. It looks cool and all but it also looks like a rather mixed bag of a movie with some good parts and some bad parts.

"Boring" is 100% the phrase that I keep hearing about this movie and all I'm reminded of is that dreadful slog (the words of which Shaun used to describe BvS) of watching Man of Steel online. I had to take so many breaks due to myself constantly going adrift. And for a camvid it was pretty damn good... I was just insanely bored and then that ending happened which was downright unpleasant.

The fact that this is so naturally massive and has, like Star Wars and even Deadpool before it is stirring a worldwide conversation... even with that 33% RT I would still pay for a ticket just to see how bad it is and have a laugh at the Jesse Eisenberg scenes (which may be terrible, but it looks to be an interesting terrible)... but I just keep remembering how goddamn bored I was during Man of Steel and so I can't bring myself to care enough to buy a ticket, or even stream it. It kind of stinks that Snyder basically sealed his way into Justice League purely by the rather brilliant decision to finally pull the BvS trigger. This movie was never not going to make a shitload of money, but I sure as hell hope audiences don't show nearly as much more for Justice League Part 1 just to see WB crap their pants. But after all, it's just two rushed films and some (probably far better) spin offs and then DC will be trying something else pretty quick. So I'm just going to wait it out. Once a digital copy hits then I may finally give it a watch but it's not a priority for me.

"I'm not going to see this" "rotten tomatoes says it's bad so it must be" great thread

I mean, it just came out so it's obviously gonna be speculation and general trailer/review chatter until more people actually see it and post their thoughts on it. People noting that they'd be willing to see it somewhere down the line but not pay full price at a movie theater for it is hardly surprising given the amount of negative feedback thus far and it's not like they're dismissing the movie entirely.

they had a formula for success to follow and they didn't even bother! standalone movies first, justice league/crossovers second! you gotta make us care about the hero before we can even care they're fighting against each other!!

really enjoyed this. nice set up for the rest of the series and i liked the portrayals of batman, wonder woman and lex luthor. to those who say that the story made no sense and left lots of stuff unanswered - i got it all? and i don't even read the comics atm.

4/5

I caught a late-night showing of the film, and honestly I thought it was a lot better then a lot of people have been saying it is. It's not perfect, but it's not the worst superhero movie ever.

The casting was really good, and I can't think of anyone who wasn't suited for their roles (except maybe Luthor at times). Ben Affleck ended up being the right choice to play Batman after all. Wonder Woman was awesome too. My theater broke into applause when she showed up.

The film didn't need to be two and a half hours long, and the cameo's from the other heroes were kind of...lazy. Also, the actual Batman vs. Superman fight ended up not being as long as you think it would be. But overall, I did enjoy the film.

Here's hoping Suicide Squad and Justice League are better films.

Last edited:
Weren't the other members of the Justice League mentioned for maybe 2 minutes. Not exactly getting what happened within that time frame that made it lazy or stupid. I'm sure if they played bigger roles people would've been complaining that they took up too much screen time. This was a fine movie. Up there with every other superhero flick in terms of quality, a little more visually exciting(except for maybe a couple sequences in the first avengers movie) and def a step up from Nolan's batman stuff. Prob did enjoy Man of Steel more but whatever. Affleck might be the best Batman??

Back