Rate & Review: "Livin' la Pura Vida" (ZABF03)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
QJigHbw.jpg

Season 31, Episode 7
Original Airdate
: November 17, 2019
Writer: Brian Kelley
Director: Timothy Bailey
Showrunner: Matt Selman
Synopsis: The Simpsons join other Springfield families on the Van Houten's annual trip to Costa Rica, which they obviously can't afford. While there, Homer befriends Patty's new girlfriend, Evelyn, and Lisa tracks down the real reason the Van Houtens can go on this trip every year.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode (votes will not be cited below if the user has voted in the thread poll above)
BartArt {4} / Financial Panther {4} / friz {4}
Homer Samson {4} / orangemo {4} / Simpson's Fan {4}
That Don Guy {4} / The Abominable Dr. Lenny {5} / Tomacco {4} / Venomrabbit {1}​

R&R Poll Average Score: 3.86 / 5 (as of September 23, 2023 / 29 votes)
IMDb User Rating: 6.6 / 10

Last edited:
It's been so long since I've given a perfect score to an episode. But this one absolutely earned it!
Those Shauna / Jimbo on-again / off-again relationship act breaks with the monkeys reacting were hysterical!

Chalmers trying (and failing) to be a good father to Shauna was great.
Kirk being Kirk was great.
Marge finally telling off Patty for disrespecting Homer was great.
Fortune Feimster's guest spot as Evelyn (aka "Patty's Homer") was great.
Milhouse trying to befriend Hibbert's kid was great.

The running gags with Homer's thought bubble visualizations, Bart's machete fixation and Marge's Costa Rica rampage keeping Lou the Cop and his sister from attending were great.

Lisa's entire subplot (wrecking the vacation due to financial anxiety and then helping to salvage it) was great.
The monkeys were great.
The logical, organic plot structure being adhered to like this was actually put together by a team of professional writers for once was great.
The animation was great.

I have no complaints.

Last edited:
This was enjoyable. The family actually had a money issue that caused a conflict about the vacation, which was nice to see. I did wonder why Lisa cared so much, though. I don’t remember her ever making a peep about money issues on their many vacations before, so all the Lisa bits felt a bit forced. I also thought Marge’s insistence to get the perfect picture was an underwhelming bit of the plot.

The rest of the episode was good, though. I liked Homer and Evelyn’s camaraderie, and as a person who never minded Shauna, I liked the bits with her, even with her dad. It was bizarre that they were ending the acts with her and Jimbo’s relationship turmoil, but it was pretty funny too. I also liked the brief scenes of Milhouse trying to look cool to the Hibberts’ son. The mystery element was nicely done, and I liked the false conclusion with the stones that led the Simpsons to be shunned by the Van Houtens. I did think it was a bit sad to have Kirk and Luann painted as bad people when the truth was found out, though. I like them and don’t want to see them as antagonists.

This episode was well done. It hit a few snags, but it’s definitely above average. A 4/5 sounds right.

Brad Lascelle, you said Lou's girlfriend, but it was his sister

Anyway, this was good, probably the best of the season 4/5

This episode was really great! My favorite parts were Homer and Evelyn's scenes and the Van Houtens getting eaten by monkeys at the end. 10/10

I just didn't feel this one

2.5/5 ( rounded down to 2/5 )

There were a few funny jokes here and there but I really didn't enjoy the plot, I thought there were too many characters and they moved along way too quickly.
Also I usually don't like when writers base their stories on subjects like these.. there's something very specific about the story that it's likely the writer experienced something similar, I find that sometimes writers will use the simpsons as their mouthpiece..
I also thought that the resolution was a let down as well.. He owns the place, why can't he operate as an airBNB, why the secrecy? is it really a scam to charge people rent during vacation? I understand that being dishonest about the arrangement can be insulting but I thought they were reaching a little.

a very big meh from me.

Usually the show's good enough for at least a few chuckles but this was the first time I'd sat with a completely straight face in a long time. I don't tend to care about most vacation episodes but this one's a new low in terms of investment. There wasn't really much of an idea and it didn't pan out. None of the jokes really worked out and it really was impossible to care about much of anything. Evelyn wasn't too bad but never really had any good moments and we'll never see her again anyway so it really meant nothing that she and Patty worked things out in the end. Maybe if it was like with earlier guest characters where they still appeared from time to time albeit unvoiced then maybe but I don't think they've done that with a guest character since, I dunno, Jenda maybe? But it was mostly eh.

Other plot though, was definitely garbage. Most of it is spent trying to scrounge up pity points for Lisa. And it's really hard to feel anything other than annoyance considering this is the same person who laughed at Bart being reduced to tears and made her mom a laughingstock to build up her own ego and suffered no repurcussions for either of those whatsoever (then again, I can't be entirely sure Yeardley wouldn't throw a tantrum and refuse to work if anything bad happened to Lisa without either overcoming or getting revenge for it). And next week will have far more likeable characters being brutally eviscerated all so she can act omg so badass, probably. And when it wasn't trying to force pity from one of the most unlikeable assholes in the show, it was making the Van Houtens look worse than they've ever been. I'm not the biggest fan of them but it felt almost like character assassination. Sure Milhouse is often a flake but usually there's at least more of a reason like someone becoming way more popular or he moved away or something. And Kirk used to be the one I had much of any sympathy for, especially during the divorce but I suppose he's a white supremacist now? Though depending on whether she did come up with the idea or Kirk was throwing her under the bus she wasn't as bad as usual but that was more because she wasn't in many scenes, probably.

Only particularly good part was Chalmers trying to parent but that was offset by giving Shauna more screentime. Hers is one of the more grating voices in the show, that and it's a bit hard to look past the fact she's a pedophile...

I dunno, I wanna rate this 1/5 but honestly next week's has already set the bar so low I'm tempted to go with 2 or even 3, and go back bumping up all the other scores this season. Guess that's the problem with hard ratings, always having to adjust them for things like that.

Loved how quickly they got into the plot. Left plenty of room for everyone's stories to breathe throughout the episode.
Only downsides were Julie Kavner's sadly deteriorating vocals, and most of the Shauna stuff (aside from the monkey act breaks, but she's just not a funny character)
4/5

Very good episode overall. I was thinking it would turn out decently alright at best. The idea of a plot of the Simpson family participating in the Van Houten family's yearly group vacation to Costa Rica with some other families and being a little worried about the cost but ending up taking a chance ang going (and there being the question of how the Van Houtens can afford it) didn't seem like that much of a special one on paper and more in the "okay" category, so it was surprising that it came out this well in the end with all of its elements, ranging from the portrayals to the humor, creating an very nice and solid episode. As an travel episode it worked pretty much perfectly and felt like one of the best such episodes of the HD era, while maybe not being an great one overall, but still all good, entertaining and likeable with the various things going on. This one clicked just right.

Speaking of the start of the story, great to see them skipping the intro and getting to and into the plot right away with Marge getting invited by Luanne to join her, Kirk and Milhouse on the family vacation to Costa Rica, Marge speeding home like a lunatic chanting "Costa Rica" over and over and probably breaking a lot of traffic laws (she really acted Homer-like here) and easily swaying the family to come with her. I liked Lisa overhearing Homer and Marge discussing the financial issue regarding the trip and spending most of the episode worrying how they'll pay for it (nice detail with her twisting part of her hair around a finger out of worry which left some loose and wavy strands of hair for the entire episode). It was good the family's money issue was a concern, something the writers often forget about. Marge's part of the story, wanting to make the trip perfect with a waterfall photo and upload it on social media so she can brag about it afterwards, was good and it highlighted how lonely and desperate she is for attention to the point of coming off as superficial. She was taking things too far but it was understandable and added good dramatic material.

Patty coming along for the trip with her new girlfriend Evelyn, whom ends up befriending Homer to Patty's dismay, was another aspect I liked; it was fun with Homer and Evelyn having such a good time and how they were so much alike & Patty blaming Homer for corrupting her girlfriend and Marge lashing out at her being ignorant of Evelyn being an Homer-type who was the cause of the troubles (at first I was worrying she'd side with Patty), making Patty split with her lady friend, was a good conflict (and was resolved well in the end with Marge fixing it with having a sister-sister talk with Patty, whom decides to reconciles with Evelyn after Marge compares the latter and Homer in an perfect way; good writing). Evelyn was a great, well rounded character, likeable and fun with her antics; she didn't come off as a stereotype and it's also unusual to see an female character with her body type on the show and not have her be defined by or be a joke because of that, instead letting the goofy demeanor be the source of humor. She was a fresh breath of air and added some diversity. Credit goes to Fortune Feimster's performance. I wish she'd come back at some point.

Lisa's plot took an interesting direction with her (and Bart) sneaking around to find out how Van Houtens is able to afford a trip like this and making an shocking discovery; this whole mystery plot, where Lisa suspects Kirk is a smuggler of sacred stones, was handed really well with the reveal that it wasn't like what Lisa thought and ending up making her and the family look stupid and downbeat, but then ended with an twist about the Van Houtens, with the nice house being theirs on loan as they are relatives of an adventurer whose home it was and them acting like it isn't and charging the other families for the trip, which made them out to be really shady). I was worried it would go in an disappointing direction with the family now being be undeserved social pariahs (because of an honest mistake by Lisa) & have the rest of the episode be about them having to confront their mistakes, but that twist turn the plot took really saved it for me (and good that the Van Houtens had to owe up to their trick; they have not always before been nice people so I had no issues believing they would sink this low).

There was not only that going on, but Bart was having fun with a machete, Milhouse was trying to connect with the Hibberts' older son & Chalmers was trying to be a good dad to his teenage daughter Shauna (who has her own problems with Jimbo cheating on her, then getting back with her and proposing, which naturally ends with the marriage being called off because of his parents), all of which I enjoyed, even the Shauna scenes (despite her being so one-note); loved that everyone got something to do. It was packed but never felt overstuffed so it used the runtime well and the pacing was nice. Humor-wise it had many nice jokes and gags that worked quite well (one of the best was the recurring gag with the monkeys being around doing their things) so regarding that it was fairly strong. The animation was nice and neat and the characterizations were good (Marge was a little too silly with her maniac behavior at the start and her saying she lets Bart be friends with Milhouse only because of the hope to be able to go on the trip was bad but those were minor issues and aside from that I had nothing to complain about).

So all in all, an likeable episode with several small plotlines that all worked out surprisingly well and some bits and pieces here and there to spice things up in one of the better travel episodes of the modern era. It had nice characterizations, good use of supporting characters, nice bits of humor throughout, a neat mystery plot thread, good dramatic moments and a bit of heart as well, topped off with good pacing that let the whole thing breathe instead of rushing from thing to thing (when the family prepared to leave early it felt like it was wrapping up but there was still 1/3rd left and that twist). It really had a lot to offer and balanced all it's aspects really well, also showing a lot of restraint (for instance, it would have been so easy to have a wacky action scene with the ziplining, but instead they had Marge trying to make Patty reconcile with Evelyn at the forefront while the chasing happening in the background as a little gag). Not a perfect episode as it didn't quite reach up to the very highs of the modern era and had some issues and parts that could have been better, but it still worked as a whole and is definitely one of the best of the season so far.

An 4/5 feels right here. It took a story that seemed kinda bland and made the most of it to very good effect. Not a fantastic episode but still all good and interesting from beginning to end.

Last edited:
And it's a "yep" for me too, I thought this episode was pretty great. Gorillas on the Mast and The Fat Blue Line both were enjoyable episodes, sure thing, but this is the first time this season that I felt an episode took almost all the good things from HD era to put them into a well-paced, well-written and well-constructed episode all around. I was pretty interested to see this episode at first, Brian Kelley has solid writing skills and with Matt Selman as a showrunner, it's a good sign, despite the kind of bland The Serfsons who basically was an empty shell, but I genuinely liked this one and it turned out to be one of the best travel episodes since a while.

It worked so well because it always knows how to keep some attention, and it's not your typical travel episode who exists only to praise the heck out of a country, but a travel episode with an actual story, as a matter of fact multiple plotlines, and each of them was as interesting as the next one. Except Shauna's stuff, I never cared about her and it hasn't changed, but I won't lie, she provides some good stuff too, her running gag with the monkeys to close an act of the episode is pretty great. But the rest of the characters are allowed to have some interesting stuff. Homer befriending Patty's girlfriend, Marge wanting to take the perfect picture of their trip, Lisa worrying about how expensive the trip is... Despite the multiple plotlines, the writing here is solid enough to handle all of these little stories effectively.

Also, the characters are quite relatable here. Sure, Lisa was kind of a jerk in some previous episodes (like the previous one where she poked fun of how boring her mother is in front of a whole crowd) but I still like her when she's well-written and when she acts like a kid. It's relatable to see her worrying about how expensive the trip looks like, given how the family have money issues, and so worrying about her family's future. Myself I can feel guilty for buying some stuff besides my needs so I can relate to her. Marge wanting to have a picture of the trip can be annoying, but once again, this is an actual way to show Marge wanting to impress people through a picture on social medias and there's probably a number of people who do trips in order to show it on social medias too, and she learns something at the end so it's nice. She just acts like herself all along, with her need to control everything in order to have some kind of perfect depiction of herself and her family. And Homer befriending Patty's girlfriend Evelyn, which by the way is a very likeable character too (well, she's a female version of Homer, of course she's likeable, but I also really liked Fortune Feimster's performance), is so well executed, and thank goodness, no marriage crisis with Marge. It was also nice to see Marge telling off Patty for disrespecting Homer, for once.

In fact, almost all the characters are really well handled here, and each of them finds a way to shine for at least a moment. Bart is very funny, the Van Houten family is very funny, also, I didn't expected them being antagonists here and props to the episode for having a pretty surprising twist (even though a bit lazily executed when the Simpsons found the painting) to keep our attention, and yeah, I can see a family like the Van Houten being antagonists for an episode, it's interesting to see that they're far from being perfect like most characters of the show in such a way, so I don't mind it, it's just for an episode and that doesn't hurt the fact Kirk is usually a sympathetic loser. And that allows the episode to have a funny climax at the ziplines, and a good punishment for them. The resolutions for the stories are satisfying, Marge reconciliating Patty with Evelyn by telling how much Homer hates Patty (even more than he hates Selma) is hilarious, clever and coherent, and at the end I had the feeling that I watched an episode that hits the mark on pretty much everything, because if the stories are well-written, the humor is also very good overall (not the funniest one but I chuckled and laughed a lot) and the animation is pleasant to watch, that's always a nice touch for episodes revolving around travelling into another country. I also loved the variety of the humor, how it fits well with the characters (the running gag about Homer's literal interpretations of Evelyn's expressions) and how sometimes it even has an influence on the story (Lou being crushed by a billboard because of Marge).

It's nice to see such a complete episode and I'm glad to have so much to talk about. That doesn't mean there's no flaws at all, in fact there are here and there (like the whole family being rejected by all of the other guests because of something only Lisa and Bart did, but I understand the point here, and also, I didn't liked the fact Marge allows Bart to be friend with Milhouse only for something that may concern her), but none of them took me out of what is overall one of the finest episodes that I saw since quite a few time. I'd go with a fair 4/5, not a 3.5 like The Fat Blue Line or Gorillas on the Mast, but a legit 4. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
This episode is the best of the season but it's not saying much. The story is at least compelling to watch and there are some funny moments. Lou being crushed by a billboard was funny. Shauna was funny at first, but got a bit annoying. The monkeys reacting to her phone was priceless. Chalmers was entertaining and relatable when he tried to talk with Shauna. Fortune Feimster's performance was great. She does Brenda in Bless the Harts, the show right after. Speaking of which I did enjoy Myrtle Beach Memoirs from Bless the Harts. That episode had a story where the family goes on vacation but they can't afford to pay, so Jenny enters a mini-golf tournament and Betty attends a timeshare seminar. I'd give this episode a 7.5/10.

Eh... It started off fine but slowly got worse the further it progressed. Actually had to take a break after the stupid pepper and salt shakers thing as it reeked of the same kind of bad twist I'd expect from American Dad! which ends up derailing their episodes. And while it did work out in the end and it was satisfying to see the Van Houten's get their comeuppance, it was just too little too late.

At least I got some screentime from Shauna out of it (not sure what the general consensus for her is here, but I've always felt like she gave some much needed new blood to the series), and there were a few funny moments (Marge furiously racing home and the reactions from the monkeys).

1/5

I don't think Shauna's very popular. Most of the folks I've seen say anything either tend to find her annoying or really creepy... unless they're big fans of pairing adult/late teenage women with little boys. She does have an extreme niche but she doesn't really have much outside of the most stereotypical teen girl traits, outside of pedophilia. Just about anyone can be a better character than they are but she'd take a lot of work, she really doesn't have much versatility right now.

[MENTION=49374]Venomrabbit[/MENTION], Yeah, even I'll own up to thinking "Didn't you cheat on Jimbo with a fucking 10 year old?!" while I was watching this one.

Yeah, that's a little hard for me to overlook. She's not even the only Bart girlfriend who's considerably older than him. I guess it makes Laura all the more praiseworthy though for not going there.

I think shauna is okay... she's not my favourite teenager character. She's the female version of jimbo, they are both little thugs with parents that are far more respectable than you would expect. I just don't think they needed her in this episode.

I've rated this episode pretty low because of the plot and general story but there were a few funny jokes.. I know the simpsons are not known for their continuity so I didn't mind when Marge had to drive all the way back home from Milhouse's house, the windchime store and catching into flames and lou being crushed by the billboard.. the callback to these jokes was pretty funny as well.

I can forgive the writers for the Shauna and Bart thing in 'Beware My Cheating Bart'. It was a big mistake but I don't let it sour my feelings on Shauna as a character as she's had her moments afterwards and can be amusing as the typical "Whatever" teenager; I didn't think back to that episode during my viewing of this one, for instance.

She did come onto him again on the same ep where she's revealed to be Chalmers' daughter too. I just don't know what's up with pairing Bart like that, there's been maybe two other times?

... Oh god maybe they will make BORT canon at this rate...

I'm on the fence between 3 and 4...I'll give it a 4, mainly because they didn't send Patty's girlfriend off into the "background scenes with no dialogue" zone that a lot of one-time characters end up in. The whole "oh, wait, a completely random event results in everything being revealed" bit (as in the "My feet are killing me...Feet? Killing? Bart's in trouble!" bit in "Funeral for a Fiend") almost ruined it for me.

Okay, I'll ask...I thought Kirk said that everybody "settled up" when they left, so why did he have everybody's (not just Homer's) checks at the zipline?
And given that the Hibberts have gone through this before, what about the money from the previous trips?

I forgot to mention that I am really glad that Lisa and Bart worked together as a team again, nowadays they seem to have abandoned that concept which was actually good and made Lisa likable

Very solid traveling episode. I like how well they paced this by entering the main plot immediatly after the first 5 minutes of build up. A lot of different characters play a part and I found Evelyn to be a fun character, despite playing yet another Mindy Simmons-like character who just acts very similiar like Homer. But the plot wasn't as much focussed on Homer and Evelyns relationship, but rather its more about Marge and Patty discussing their partners relationship. Good to see the Van Houtens play a family role and how they ended up after their secret got discovered. Also really liked the Chalmers and Shauna scenes. While I don't think much of Shauna as a standalone character, she worked well alongside Chalmers and its a nice change of Skinner who constantly gets paired up with Chalmers instead.

The beginning with a nervous and then excited Marge was pretty fun, though her voice started to sound rough. I like that Lou getting crushed by a billboard and the wind chime store setting on fire was also part of the reason that they as a couple couldn't come on vacation with the Van Houtens. Lisa getting nervous about the expenses sets up well for a sub plot that ended up integrading into the main plot. The constant hair curling between scenes was a nice touch. Also liked the introduction of Evelyn and how she first reacted to Homer. Once in Costa Rica it starts off well with the families settling in and how Homer and Evelyn's relationship developed.

Then we get another recurring gag with the monkeys showing up in an afterparty. Some good jokes and I like how they keep reacting to Shauna's relationship with Jimbo. Kinda glad that the actual marriage between the two didn't come to pass. Lisa's plot now has Bart joining in and he probably delivered some of the episodes best joke, like Millhouse annoying Hibbert's son and Bart using Patty's bra and Homer's bathing suit drawstring to enter Kirk's room. I didn't find Kirk drinking the river's water to be that funny. Marge also has her little sub plot of her wanting a proper family vacation photo to share. Really liked how she talked to Patty about how she behaves to Homer and Lisa uncovering Kirk's ''secret'', which were just salt & peppar gifts. I was sold on the overreaction as if it was really such a big deal. Also liked how Homer reacted to the bill.

The final act has the Van Houten family exposed with their ancestor ''Kirkidemious van Houten or something like that... sounded funny :P'' and doing the entire zip line chase. It also wrapped up the Evelyn storyline nicely. I doubt that we'll see more of her though, so maybe they should've just shown them breaking up anyway. Funny way to end the episode with the monkeys attacking the Van Houtens.

I did not have a lot to complain about this episode. I liked the stories and seeing more from secondary characters. Even Hibbert's son for a few funny scenes with Millhouse, and they did a better job with Shauna who most of the time is written a lot worse. The jokes were alright, not the funniest but nothing bad either. I liked the setting in Costa Rica despite not traveling a whole lot around the house. All of the Simpson family had proper roles where Bart and Lisa get to be an investigating duo again, and Marge calling out on Patty at long last. Evelyn was a proper character and played her role well. Its not quite in 5/5 territory, much closer to 4/5 instead (my actual rating would be around a 4.25). So this gets a:

4/5

[MENTION=24053]Brad Lascelle[/MENTION] spot on. I couldn't agree more.

Mind blown. This was one great episode. I first thought it was going to be "Little Know it all Lisa" butting in and wrecking it some how but it turn around perfect in the end.

Monkeys: if it is either scratching its ass on a tree, getting drunk or eating protein powder the writers know how to do use monkeys. I lauhed twice at the suprised monkey faces, even when the repeated the joke.
Marge: Her finally telling Patty that she is sick of her badmouthing Homer was great and she should stick up for him more often. Plus Marge telling her he hates her but feels sorry for Selma was perfect.
Kirk: it doesn't suprise me that he would do this and he got what he deserved. Question is does Milhouse know about this?
Salt and Pepper shakers: only The Simpsons would care enough for a stupid thing like the shakers. Only Homer would throw Bart to open the door.
Shauna: poor Chalmers. Sometimes Shauna is cool but the other times shes annoying. She played the poor teenage angst pretty convincingly.
Bart: Bart with a machete. What could go wrong.

Question though? I thought it was Luanne who was in the cracker business as in was her dad who gave him his job? Plus, why hasn't Kirk ever gotten his job back since he has happy (cough) family? Firing him for getting a divorce is illegal. Firing for him being an incompetent boob is another.

Anyways,

5/5

In my review of the previous episode, I commented that people are tired of some kind of plot, and one of that I mentioned was traveling stories. But I also emphasized that the biggest problem is not travels. It is the repetitive concepts that sustain them. In Livin' La Pura Vida, Matt Selman proved it. After all fantastic travels to the Antarctic, to Iceland and to Boston, it is the turn of Costa Rica. And it was fantastic again.
Mn6aMwX.jpg

It has something we needed although we didn't know: monkeys!

This vacation was homely. The family is not in front of one of the biggest adventures of their lives. They just accept the proposal of joining themselves on different vacations with other families, and they find the problems that a normal family can find. They didn't interact with the leader of the nation, nor are in problems with Justice nor one of them will be the referee in the World Cup's final. They just knew new people, strengthened relationships with their friends and tried to afford the spends. And every now and then is better to have a simple story instead of a complex one. Also, I really liked it centered the efforts in the dynamic between characters and not just in Costa Rica's culture and conflicts and how the family explores it. It was a problem in most recent vacation episodes and it was fixed here. Obviously, the new friendship Homer had here takes most flashes. Evelyn was a nice character. She is sweet, cordial, agreeable. Homer has had other pals who are similar to him. But it was different than other times. The gag of Homer imagining the southern metaphors Evelyn said was fantastic. It was used five times and I laughed all five times. I liked how they started with a wrong first impression but how they were inseparable during the rest of the travel, don't matter if Patty is jealous or if Marge asks it. Also, she was a good element to avoid Homer's stupidity. He was liable but she was a bad influence. She is a Homer even worse than Homer. Talking about that, the moral conflict of Patty was perfect. Is it stronger her hate for Homer or her love for Evelyn? Well, both paths she could take for the resolution would be fine. She bets for love and I'm frankly excited to see Evelyn again, since her voice actress, Fortune Feimster, is currently working on FOX.
58ReVYY.jpg

Among all uses, this was my absolute favorite. My biggest laugh in the episode.

Marge had two roles in the story. The main one was a bit superficial. Just an attempt to take the perfect picture next to the waterfall. I loved her phrase: "All I wanted was my friends to be jealous for me". Fortunately, she ponders about it at the end and she doesn't give it to its higher importance, also, she gets a photo-worthy to be posted in the airplane after the failed one, so everything turned out good for her. The other one was something we aren't too accustomed to. She defending Homer of accusations and insults he receives. Yeah, that was great, especially when the critics came from one of her sisters. I thought she will be the blame to separate Patty to Evelyn, but it was the opposite and she joined them after a nice speech, where she assures Homer hates her more than Selma. For her part, Lisa was the main protagonist of the secondary story. There, she gives big importance to spends although only grown-ups should care about that. The biggest success of this one was in how it involved Bart and how they worked as a team again. I really liked the gag of Lisa tanking off the nerves with her hair. I was read many times that a girl suffering anxiety is not funny, but how could I do to not enjoy her manias, her paranoias, her obsessions when they are so great animated and when Yeardley Smith does a great voice acting as well? I think it was better than just Lisa doing something that fits with Costa Rican culture. I also enjoyed Bart's plan to get the settle-up ledger. His gag with the machete was effective too. The plot-twist of The Simpsons thinking Van Houtens are smuggling artifacts to pay the vacation and then they discover something worse that allowed the family to avoid financial problems was actually good because I really believed every change about Van Houten's intentions.
qZrioQo.jpg

At this moment, I thought Lisa would ruin everything again but I was wrong.

Talking about Van Houtens, I didn't have problems with them as antagonists. They never were characterized to be selfish but we never have had hints they are unable to do something like that, especially when their child always has betrayed Bart or has done feel Lisa uncomfortable. Kirk had some Kirk's moments. If he promises dinner, the apartment is full of monkeys. If he says he can drink water for the lake, he automatically feels bad about the stomach. If he promises a great vacation, it should have a trick that became it in a farce. If he tries to clean the apartment, monkeys attack him. I just love this character when he receives the correct development. I liked to hear him saying some words in Spanish, by the way. Kirk also has to affront a discussion with Luann in another of their marriage problems. They could be funny when The Simpsons are not involved in them. I chuckled when Luann hit him. It was a right guess it wasn't specified who was the actual culpable of the fraud. And I find interesting the whole zip persecution. Milhouse didn't play a transcendental role but he was participle in one of the funniest banters of the episode: he chasing JJ, one of Hibbert's sons, who had to tolerate Milhouse pulling along him because the stupid boy tried to impress him in search of a vacation friend. He doesn't care if JJ is notoriously older than him. He thinks he could be impressed by Lego's like him. It may be easier to write to Milhouse in the same way than his parents or helping to Bart and Lisa to expose them, but he finds a perfect place to shine by himself. I never would guess Milhouse and one of Hibbert's sons could be so funny together. But it was.
KPFg6O1.jpg

Simpático!

One of the biggest successes of this episode was the development of secondary characters. Again, It may be easier to write it if the Flanders family, for example, would accept a hypothetical offer to travel, but one of the most wonderful characteristics of Matt Selman's episodes is the use of untold characters and new dynamics. And the families that traveled were Hibberts and Chalmers. I am still surprised by the first choice. While neither the Doctor nor his family has followed Apu's way, I thought writers tried to use him the less possible. But I was wrong, and the Hibberts were finally used as they deserve. Julius has some good quotes throughout the episode, especially when he talks with Kirk. And Bernice had a dialogue, and it was enough to be one of her most important appearance of all time. Meanwhile, we have a sample of Chalmers and Shauna's rough relationship. Okay, I always have said she is one of my least favorites characters and that the idea of them being father and daughter was ridiculous. But, with that already established, I can say I enjoyed what they did here and they were a good choice for the cast of this episode. Shauna is annoying, and how her father falls over and over in his attempts to establish a linkage was interesting. The attitude of the teen was adequate for her, and we didn't have an emotional moment not even at the end. She is always with the phone on her hand -I would be a hypocrite if I critic that- taking with Jimbo and ignoring the adventures and his father. I loved how she closed both acts giving news about his relationship with her boyfriend and how monkeys surprised about that. Monkeys were hilarious. It was a good resource to give rhythm to the story.
ZqwoTSJ.jpg

It even did a good is of Shauna. I don't need more to be sure of my rating.

Livin' La Pura Vida was exactly what you can expect of a good Selman's episode. Pretty funny, hilarious for moments, with an original story that exploits a lot of concepts, using underdeveloped characters and exploring new dynamics between them and taking advantage of everything, from the Costa Rican elements to the animation. It didn't waste a single second. So far: ¡El mejor episodio de la temporada!

5/5

Finally got around to seeing this one after falling behind. I don't have much to add that [MENTION=24053]Brad Lascelle[/MENTION] didn't already mention and my opinions closely align with his. Everything that Marge the Lumberjill did wrong, Livin' la Pura Vida does right and, with it, season 31 has its first great episode at last. Better late than never, right? It didn't quite leave a strong enough impression to warrant full marks (although I suspect it will benefit from future viewings), but it's one I'm more than happy to currently score a 4/5 rounded down from a 4.5.

Last edited:
It was pretty good! I like how they put they put in the Van Houten's. They really didn't use them that much!
I will say 4/5

Back