I'm still laughing after 20 years!

Anyone who says that The Simpsons is better than the rest of stuff out there on television doesn't watch any other television and is not qualified to make such a statement.

I still watch it and enjoy it to a degree, but it's definitely my least anticipated show when it comes to new episodes.

post_thanks.gif

really, there are way better shows out there. and sometimes I don't even care when a new simpsons episode is about to air.

Anyone who says that The Simpsons is better than the rest of stuff out there on television doesn't watch any other television and is not qualified to make such a statement.

I still watch it and enjoy it to a degree, but it's definitely my least anticipated show when it comes to new episodes.

pretty much. i do not watch as many shows as you do but i think the simpsons is not the best thing to watch out there but that does not mean that i am dismissing the show itself necessarily

now, i do enjoy the show nowadays and even when i do watch episodes that aren't really of my preference or anything, i do think that it was worthwhile of my time. i guess when i "hate" (it is certainly a strong word...), i don't hate as much as others would and when i enjoy, i pretty much would be into it.

I don't really watch TV, period. I like to read; The Simpsons is really the only thing I'll watch at all.

Don't forget the underlying sentiment of: "Show x isn't as good as my favorite moments from 20 years of the Simpsons so it'll never be as good!".

Not only is that saying unfair to the new shows airing, it also makes the current Simpsons look much better than they actually are.

Essentially, this is what I have to say in this thread.

Oh, and damn you S20 haters.

Regarding the Simpsons related to the rest of TV, I'm really not a fan of that argument. Hypothetically, if everything on TV was terrible and the Simpsons was just slightly above terrible that isn't really much incentive for me to watch it. I'd rather spend time doing something else altogether if that is the case. I can't accurately assess the state of television when I honestly don't watch it much nowadays, but a show should be highly watchable based on its own merits rather than what else is out there.

I've actually been watching The Simpsons since about 1996 - 1997, but I never saw an episode after Season 10 until like 2003 becuase I was never able to. . . I'm used to the older ones - but I still love all the newer ones.

Yea, my statement was coming from somebody who hates TV as a whole. I rather even miss the new episodes, and just watch them online later.

Meh, you all can have your opinions, good or bad. But I'll always love the show as a whole and not pick it to pieces because, frankly, I have better things to do.

Just an FYI... You can't really use the "better things to do" excuse when you're posting on a Simpsons message board. ;)

I agree with Astray. *nods* These are things I've been thinking for a while...

I admit I don't post much here anymore except to comment on writing, even though I really liked the place when I first found it. That is because it's largely difficult and futile to discuss most things without someone launching into the same old tired argument. And to be bloody honest it's a waste of time to obsessively pick apart every episode to find what's wrong with it. There's plenty of real life stuff I could attend to instead, or perhaps other fan stuff and entirely different series I could be indulging in. The fact is, I watch the Simpsons to enjoy myself, the same reason I read most of the books I do or for that matter write anything. There is a time and a place for constructive criticism, but not obsessive nitpicking. To each his own, however; I get that many of you dislike where the show has gone, and I understand that, and I realize there are people on "our" side that do just as much arguing with you and nitpicking at you. I find both really bloody annoying.

Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that I find all of these really amazingly silly but I'm also extremely happy with the fact that it took longer than usual this time for the topic to go downhill.

A similar argument that was incredibly fun to be a part of was the HD DVD vs Blu Ray war that was prevelent in 2006 & 2007. The only difference in that fight was there was going to be an eventual victor, but after the 'fighting' was over, the fun of debating the merits of each format was gone.

What's amazing here is the 'nitpicking,' 'whining,' or constructive critque is what makes this place interesting. We can't all be polyannish yes-men and agree the show is awesome, and we can't all say the show is ass feces in swamp water either. If everyone took one side or the other and we all agreed with eachother, what would the purpose of discussing anything be? There's always going to be a voice of dissent you won't like, so my advice is to just roll with it. But what it boils down to is there will be the (typically) younger fans who think the show is okay, to awesome, regardless of the season because it's the Simpsons, and then there's the bitter cranks (me) who think the continued existance of the show kills the memory of what made the show great in the first place.

Obviously, the arguments will continue and sometimes they'll be repackaged in different ways, but as long as the show keeps going, there will be the two sides to argue, as is life. Even after the show ends, there will be disagreements on when the decline started, even if a decline ever happened. But the Simpsons is as the Simpsons does and our only real solution is to start our own show, or to just shut up and like it, right? :lol:

I'm good with disagreeing also, it's life, but arguing is a whole nother thing. I'm not going to do it, especially over something as insignificant as season 20 vs. season 1-21. It's the same show, different content. I like the show, as it is, and as it was...

I've actually been watching seasons 18-21... they're really not bad.

Yea, I just said that.

yeah, but guys your forgetting one key factor about this whole issue

season 20 sucked 

That's what we get from younger fans. They think there's no Simpsons history before they joined, and tend to underrate the shitness of the old Scully seasons :dance:.

This stuff makes me glad that I don't divide the show into 'eras' and just see it as a whole. :P
I think for me personally being able to distinguish periods of the show has helped me appreciate the show more (or at least the periods of the show I like). There was a time when my interest in the show really sagged and I think part of that could be because I was watching episodes from the periods I'm less fond of and as a result I figured I just wasn't liking it as much as I used to. When I began following the DVDs I was able to love the show for the great work it produced in the past (IMO).

I guess what I'm saying is that categorizing the show can also have a positive effect on one's opinion of it.

*nod* I can see your point. It depends on the individual, pretty much. It really doesn't do anything for me to do that, so I don't. :D

Back