Character Spotlight Thread: Reverend Lovejoy

Judge Fudge

that guy you forgot existed
So the first character chosen for a spotlight (see here for details) is Reverend Lovejoy. (Suggested by [MENTION=48755]Dumb or Dumber?[/MENTION])
treehouseofhorror10_13.jpg

So feel free to discuss anything you want about the character, what you like/dislike about him, favourite quotes, images etc.
I might post some thoughts later on.

Last edited:
"That's Catholic, Marge! You may as well ask me to do a voodoo dance!" - Homer Simpson in "Kidney Trouble"

Such a funny character, with a good back story.

Not much to say, but I always liked him. He mostly reminded me of the headteacher I had as a kid.

I liked him in Dangers on a Train.

Oh and of course

"Baboons to the left of me, baboons to the right, the speeding locomotive tore through a sea of inhuman fangs. A pair of great apes rose up at me, but biff! Bam! I sent them flying like two hairy footballs. A third came screaming at me, and that's when I got mad..."

Good boy, don't stop the music.
lovejoydog.jpg

Oh, oh, ooh, bad dog! Look at that, right on Ned's lawn.
Now how could you do such a thing?
Good boy, don't stop now.
Bad dog, I condemn you to Hell!!!

"Dearly beloved, I will now read the special vows which Homer has prepared for this occasion. Do you Marge take Homer in richness and poorness, poorness is underlined, in impotence and im-potence, in quiet solitude or blasting across the alkali flats in a jet powered monkey navigated...and it goes on like this..."

He really is a great character. They manage to introduce big criticisms to the Church and religion by making him a bit of an opportunist who takes advantages of people's fears and wants to collect their money, but at the same time he's portrayed as a charismatic and mostly nice guy with some good virtues. He feels pretty real in that way and probably one of the most intelligent people in Springfield.

The whole point of his character is how often he loses faith in his own religion, or how he's not as religious as Flanders or whatnot.

Many episodes show him as a regular guy, especially the ones where he temporarily resigns from the Church. Not to mention in recent seasons we learned he has roleplay sex with Helen.

I love his hatred for Flanders, but the episodes that mainly focus on him (except for "In Marge We Trust") have bored me.

I've really grown to like him in recent years. He's sort of portrayed as the more normal Christian in opposition to Flanders' more anal-retentive Christian. Especially in the Oakley/Weinstein years.

Great character; his dry attitude and dislike for Ned can be pretty funny. He's got a really good backstory as well.

Last edited:
[MENTION=12355]Reverend Lovejoy[/MENTION]

You called? ;)

While I'm not as fond of him (or the show in general, for that matter) as I used to be, I still think he's a great character and still is my favourite on the show. One of my favourite things about him has already been mentioned:
He really is a great character. They manage to introduce big criticisms to the Church and religion by making him a bit of an opportunist who takes advantages of people's fears and wants to collect their money, but at the same time he's portrayed as a charismatic and mostly nice guy with some good virtues. He feels pretty real in that way and probably one of the most intelligent people in Springfield.

That's what I like about him; he's real. He's not a bad person, nor a saint. (The best example of this would probably be "In Marge We Trust"; he's cynical, he's lost interest in his job, but he still manages to show concern when Ned goes missing.) And he doesn't seem to be as exaggerated as some of the other characters, even at this point in the show when practically everyone has turned into a caricature of themselves.

As for a favourite quote, I'll have to go for this one:

"Finally, I just stopped caring. Luckily by then it was the 80s and no one noticed."

Last edited:
Rev. Lovejoy: Now Homer, feel free to tell us anything. There's no judgment here.
Homer: The other day I was so desperate for a beer that I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers.
Rev. Lovejoy: I cast thee out!

Reverend Lovejoy: Marge, just about everything is a sin. Did you ever sit down and read this thing? Technically, we're not allowed to go to the bathroom.

Back