Rate & Review: "The Road to Cincinnati" (ZABF20)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
MyNZ24X.png

Season 32, Episode 8
Original Airdate
: November 29, 2020
Writer: Jeff Westbrook
Director: Matthew Nastuk
Showrunner: Matt Selman
Synopsis: Odd couple Skinner and Chalmers embark on an 800-mile car ride to Cincinnati to attend an administrator's convention - but can they reach their destination without killing each other first.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode (votes will not be cited below if the user has voted in the thread poll above)
BloodySimpsonChibi {5} / DigiJem1 {3} / Elf Girl {2} / Financial Panther {3} / John Smith 1882 {4} / Kaine {3}
Nameless {4} / Nitsy {4} / Scrooge McDuck {3} / The Abominable Dr. Lenny {3} / Trab Pu Kcip {2}​

R&R Poll Average Score: 3.40 / 5 (as of September 26, 2021 / 20 votes)
IMDB User Rating: 6.7 / 10

Last edited:
Wow, two episodes in a row with trace amounts of Homer. And... is this one a record for the absolute least amount of Homer for the entire series?

Alright, today felt like it was Different. An episode that didn't nearly show Homer, but this might be back to Sweet Seymour Skinner, 2 lines Homer did with that episode.

My review will be in the next post.

Yep, overall screentime for him here being less than a minute. Even Lisa got more screentime.

I find it difficult to do much of a write up on this, because there were a lot of quick and convoluted plot turns during the first two acts. It's all pretty disposable material that I don't have the time or patience to sort through. The third act though, has some really solid stuff in there. It really serves an effective climax, even for an episode that didn't really earn it. Skinner finally standing up to Chalmers is a legitimately great moment, as is the proceeding fight. It's nice to see Skinner show some real backbone for once. The ending is a bit sloppy, but it's pleasant enough I guess. There's also some really odd and sloppy bits throughout the episode, like those unfunny hitchhikers and Bart giving Skinner a pep talk for no reason. I really don't have much to say about this one, other than that it disappointed me.

Rating: 3/5

Coming into this episode, I had high hopes for this one episode, mainly because of the plot and that I wanted to see how it goes out....

For the FOURTH episode in a row, I was disappointed at the end result, and the 3rd episode in the last 4 that was bad.
Let's start off with The Simpsons going to the opera. That part felt boring, and when you compare it with the opera scene of Bart The Genius, I would pick the latter over this one. So that was Homer's and The Simpsons scene ruined, time for Skinner and Chalmers. It tried to make me laugh, as we saw more attempts at jokes than we have seen recently, but half of them don't hit for me. Also, I guess that I have to admit that the writing is bad, once again, Jeff Westbrook managed to bring an promising script to failure. If this was written by someone else, then I would be sure it would have been better. I did however like the callback to Steamed Hams, the near to the ending bit with Skinner teaching Chalmers a lession was also good, but the quality of the episode is just too inconsistent to be good. The first 2 acts I could forget, and the 3rd is ruined by a weak ending. There's nothing really else to say.

Well, I don't know what to give it to the consensus poll, my grade is literally exactly on 2.5/5. I guess, I could round it up to a 3/5, but that seems like an stretch for something I didn't enjoy as much as others this season. Yep, I guess it will be rounded down to a 2/5.

Let's hope that I will not be disappointed for the 5th time in a row next week. Seemingly as it is Sorry, Not Sorry, an episode that show that shows lots of potential, I don't think it will.

Eh... I'll give them credit for wanting to do something different by providing an episode with little to no focus on the family. However it's too bad that I've never considered Chalmers to be all that great of a character and there's honestly only so much of him I can take in a single sitting. You know an episode is boring when you find the often hit or miss act 4 scene to be the highlight humor wise.

2/5 Once again, I'd rather rewatch 7 Beer Itch because at least that wasn't boring. Still have a small sliver of hope for the Mrs. Hoover backstory episode next week.

As someone who never liked the modern Skinner/Chalmers dynamic, I didn’t have very high hopes for this episode. As it turned out, it was...adequate. Skinner wasn’t the total wuss he usually is in their interactions; he actually showed some backbone and served useful at times. Still, Chalmers was never an interesting character to me. I never liked Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts, and he wasn’t any more interesting of a character in this one. Of all the characters the writers could flesh out, the fact they chose Chalmers is odd to me.

As Dr. Lenny said, it’s kind of hard for me to write much on this because there were so many small plots regarding their travels throughout the episode. And to the episode’s credit, it didn’t feel disjointed. I liked the Shakespeare hitchhikers and they way they factored into the ending with Marge and the family at the improv show. The quick steamed hams callout was fine, although I think it would’ve been better had there been a mention or sign that said they were in Albany at the time; that might have been clever.

The ending was fine, although the conflict soon before it with Chalmers planning to fire Skinner and Skinner putting black mold in Finch’s...I dunno what it was seemed pretty serious. But a lot of episodes are wrapped up pretty hastily now, so this wasn’t new.

I guess this is the best I could’ve hoped for in an episode with this duo. I’ll say 3/5.

Ok this started with an eye roll: A high five that ends with Skinner slapping Chalmer's crotch. Then they repeat it it with an skeleton? So they must be hiring Family Guy writers again. Poop jokes? Jokes that won't stop: winterized. Spaghetti joke truck from previous act... sigh.

Garibaldi: enter Nelson; Ha Ha

Ok all in all it wasn't a bad episode. Seeing Skinner shine and stand up for himself. Roving bike riders running for their life because they're about to get their ass kicked was great.

One thing I have to wonder, couldn't the writers have left out the part where Skinner poisoned Principal Finch? C'mon writers, you should have known that not only was it dangerous it was a felony assault. There still would have been a fight so there was no need for it to happen.

Ending with the WKRP song: awesome.

3/5

Last edited:
Just a few things that I noticed...

How long has it been before this episode since Yeardley voiced someone other than Lisa (or herself)?

Apparently, "steamed hams" is a thing in the midwest. Since they passed at least two signs that said "CINCINNATI 400 MILES" on the way there, I was half-expecting Chalmers to point out to Skinner that they were actually headed around Cincinnati, and not toward it.

Nice touch with using the WKRP in Cincinnati typeface for the closing credits. Speaking of which, "the version I heard was," most of the lyrics of that show's closing theme were gibberish, and that it was intended to be a placeholder until they could come up with real lyrics.

Just a few things that I noticed...

How long has it been before this episode since Yeardley voiced someone other than Lisa (or herself)?

Apparently, "steamed hams" is a thing in the midwest. Since they passed at least two signs that said "CINCINNATI 400 MILES" on the way there, I was half-expecting Chalmers to point out to Skinner that they were actually headed around Cincinnati, and not toward it.

Nice touch with using the WKRP in Cincinnati typeface for the closing credits. Speaking of which, "the version I heard was," most of the lyrics of that show's closing theme were gibberish, and that it was intended to be a placeholder until they could come up with real lyrics.

I remember watching WKRP with my parents when I was a kid. It being Thanksgiving makes me think of the episode, "Turkeys Away.

Bleh. There was a chance to make a decent spin on buddy/road movies here, but the scenarios they came up with were just weird and badly crafted (the hitchhikers being improv Shakespeare performers, the biker bar being for modern tech savvy bikers). Also Skinner tried to kill that other principal. Unless I’m overestimating how badly injesting black mold can effect a human body, that seemed like a fair enough reason for Chalmers to fire him.

At least with Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts, it felt like some attempt was being made to further Chalmers as a character, this episode told nothing new about him, Skinner, or their relationship. Chalmers is a kinda grouchy straight man. Skinner is weird, but loyal and nice (ignoring trying to poison that other principal). The Steamed Hams segment told me more about these characters.

Steamed/Hams (apparently i missed this episodes reference to that, because I’m BLIND)

It seems like I'll be one to go against the flow here. I liked this one. I never really minded the modern dynamic of Skinner & Chalmers so to get an entire episode focused on them was an interesting prospect & having it be a road trip story about the odd couple ending up going to Cincinnati together by car to an educational conference Chalmers will be attending was a simple but good premise. In the end, I'd say it worked out fairly well and presented itself as an entertaining, enjoyable episode with a bunch of nice and fun scenarios and jokes (all being typical to road trip stories), no intrusive subplots, pretty decent pacing and good animation. It was probably not one of the all time best modern episodes and was at times really silly, but I thought it was decent and I had a good time watching it. After a very forgettable and lackluster previous episode and a few other disappointments this season it stood out as one of the better outings so far.

It got off to a decent start with Chalmers holding the principal meeting where he announces the plan to go to the Cincinnati conference with a principal, although I do think Skinner was a bit too pathetic (making an forced "joke" to be noticed and failing to do a simple high five, ending up slapping Chalmers' crotch instead, even if the reaction did make me chuckle). Also, I did not care for Principal Finch whom is so liked to the point of being Chalmers first and obvious choice (weird how he was portrayed as supposedly funny and cool to the others sans Skinner, but I just found him pretty obnoxious), but he was more like a plot device than anything. I did like the detention scene with Bart giving Skinner advice to stand up for himself and crash Chalmers' trip (and Bart's line about Skinner "spending his life with his hand stuck in a pelvis" made me chuckle despite being lame). So Finch is being held up by having eaten bad fish or something the night before and Skinner happens to show up infront of Chalmers in a taxi to take Finch's place (I already suspected foul play here, but as I didn't like Finch I didn't really care).

The airplane scene with Chalmers having a bad case of aerophobia (fear of flying) ended up pretty amusing with him freaking out all over the place with his delusional ranting (the emotional support animal gag with the plane packed with people having various animals was amusing plus I liked the lame joke about 'Game Night' & Jason Bateman appearing speaking to Chalmers through the movie). So both are kicked out and Skinner goes to his mother Agnes and gets to borrow her car so they can drive instead in an kinda nice little scene (and I liked how it wasn't too extreme). Then the titular trip gets going and there's some nice back and forth between Skinner & Chalmers, I enjoyed the joke with the trio of young improvisational Shakespeare actors & the crash into a silo of giant soy beans (which has the car eventually randomly exploding) was an amusing turn. Then there was the Conklin bit with Skinner weaseling him and Chalmers out of court by helping out the female judge (who reminds him of his mother, whose sheriff son is a Skinner-lookalike) which grants him a loan of her car so they can continue their trip & it was entertaining for what it was.

I enjoyed the biker bar (which turns out to be a professional cyclist bar, which was a pretty good subversion) joke scene with the cyclist stereotypes (bike computers, sipping hoses & whatever) & how Chalmers was the one messing up by angering the cyclists yet again, as he was the one who crashed the first car (As usually it is Skinner who gets them into trouble. Having Chalmers be fallible does improve the character with a bit of development). There's a ridiculous chase with the cyclists pursuing the duo's car (in true Scully-like fashion) & Skinner bringing in the wheelchair-bound war veterans with ripped arms who scares off the cyclists was an equally ridiculous bit, though I still thought is was decently fun. The bed & breakfast scene was a good one, with the drama between superintendent & principal when it turns out Chalmers was going to fire Skinner and replace him with Finch & Skinner turning out no better (being responsible for having made Finch temporarily sick with black mold, which was awful of him); I enjoyed their fight scene (felt like this was the culmination of their pent-up enmity through the years).

Then the last part begins and it was a good one. So they accidentally swap jackets as they part ways as foes (which I saw coming, as I thought there was something visually wrong with the coats the other one was wearing) & it turns out Chalmers doesn't have his speech note but only Skinner's lame opening jokes, which sees him improvising a speech on Skinner (which goes from shaming the principal and being a hypocrite, as Chalmers too did cause problems on the road, to realizing that he actually likes and respects Skinner due). This was a solid end, even if Chalmers change of heart happened a bit quickly in the end, plus it had a nice finale with Skinner rushing in with the superintendent's speech and hearing the praise (their reconciliation did feel pretty rewarding). Sappy but it worked. Chalmers holds his speech and everything goes well (at first I thought there was gonna be a joke about the speech being boring or something, but it never happened) and Skinner feels good about getting what he wanted (Chalmers now liking him) and tells Bart about it in a nice wrap-up scene (followed by a brief bit with of him & Chalmers at a café).

As for the Simpsons, their very minimal role here felt unusual. Only Bart had something of a role in the episode (and Lisa appearing the jump rope skipping gag at the beginning and the end) and Homer & Marge were nowhere to be seen so I wondered if they weren't gonna get any lines (I knew they were bound to at least appear once, having seen that promo image with them on it). Then that last act scene comes with the dinner scene and in which has Marge speaking a bit and Homer gets line. The scene itself felt kinda forced at first with Marge asking how their day were (when we didn't get to see it) and more like filler, but then Marge reveals they are going to watch the Shakespeare improv trio perform, nicely tying in with the rest of the episode with a funny little end scene of Marge loving the performance while the other Simpsons are just bored. That was a nice final bit even if it was unnecessary (and unlike most times, it didn't take away time from the rest of the episode, which skipped the intro as most Selman episodes do and got to the story right away, which is always a good sign).

So all in all, I very much enjoyed this episode as said. It had a basic premise with Skinner & Chalmers on a misadventure-filled road trip and managed to deliver a nicely paced and entertaining story with a bunch of good scenes and nice little jokes and gags (more or less silly) and some good drama & a sprinkle of emotional content (I was surprised they actually took the Skinner-Chalmers relationship decently seriously without making it a farce, despite all the silliness. The bed & breakfast scene was one of those scene that helped cement the serious side of their conflict). The road trip story worked well with the duo and it gave some nice development to both by making it fairly character-based (in a sense, this episode was sort of their version of what 'King Leer' meant for HD era Moe). I wouldn't say it was a great episode, but it still had my interest despite not having any big surprises or super memorable setpieces. It could have been better, but I still liked it.

Going to give this 4/5 for the time being. Maybe I was in a good mood (and I didn't have any especially high hopes) but as for now, I found it an entertaining piece. Not a fan of Jeff Westbrook (one of my least fav modern writers) but this is probably one of his best (and Selman should get credit for pulling off the showrunning aspect).

Last edited:
This episode felt really strange. I like the fact they're trying out different dynamics, and people mostly seemed to like the Chalmskin dynamic. I'm disappointed they didn't reference Chalmskin at all.
The ending felt rather rushed, but most episodes do nowadays.

3/5 total. Not bad for a 2020 episode

If we're talking about fully original characters (meaning ones that aren't variations of Lisa such as Lisa, Jr.), then not since Season 1 (maybe Season 2 at most). I was actually surprised to see that role attributed to her since at first I thought it was Pamela.

This episode was ridiculously good! There were too many funny moments to count (Chalmers freaking out on the plane and strangling the improviser afterwards were the funniest to me) the quick but also neat and hilarious fight scene, and Skinner getting to be a badass throughout. Plus I loved the wholesome ending with them enjoying chili together.

5/5

If we're talking about fully original characters (meaning ones that aren't variations of Lisa such as Lisa, Jr.), then not since Season 1 (maybe Season 2 at most). I was actually surprised to see that role attributed to her since at first I thought it was Pamela.
The one I could think of was, she voiced Angela Lansbury in Season 4's "Mr. Plow"...until you reminded me of Lisa Jr. ("Missionary Impossible," right?)

This was an alright episode. Its quite unusual how little we see of the Simpsons family, I found that both Skinner and Chalmers managed to make up for a decent episode. It feels like they didn't really try much new as everything was to be expected, Skinner annoying Chalmers, Chalmers gets mad, they break up at the end and they rather quickly came back together. We saw Chalmers admitting that he kind of respects Skinner, but its either something he has always had or that he now realises yet forgets in the next episode. As for the roadtrip format its about what you expect from something like a vacation episode from National Lampoon.

I liked the set up of the plot with Chalmers talking to different principals with one of them named Finch supposedly coming with Chalmers. Skinner decides to call out someones wife being unfaithful on him and high-fiving Chalmers crotch. I liked the scenes with Bart and that the girls sing a song regarding what happened to Skinner. The airplane scene had at least one good moment with Chalmers hallucinating the guy on TV. Skinner convincing Agnes was pretty good where Agnes considers Skinner to be old enough to make a friend. Then the actual road trip starts with a Shakespear improvs group, not much special but it does lead to a better gag with the Skinner/Agnes-like couple which Skinner manages to get out of their punishment.

Then we get he biker bar scenes which I guess were alright. I liked most of the modern takes of how modernised these bikers work and get easily aggravated. Basically turning them into a new generation of aggresive bikers, but I guess we still call them cyclists. Then we somehow get to a chasing scene where it baffles me how they managed to get to their car and get to started before the cyclists caught up. I thought the group of veterans in wheelchairs was way to random and it felt to unbelieveable that they were somewhere enar and Skinner having enough time to convince them to save Chalmers. Then we get to a bed & breakfast with some major information dumps like Chalmers having a plan with Funch to get Skinner fired, and Skinner is apparently the one who made Finch sick. We finally get to see them fight each other and then take their leaves.

The final act had at least one really good moment with Chalmers confessing to the audience of how it feels like to be with someone like Skinner and seeing many others experiencing the same. He realises that Skinner isn't as bad as how he makes him out to be and Skinner manages to teleport right in time to save Chalmers day. This final act felt to rushed which is unfortunate. We got to see the Simpson family to end the episode with and I kinda liked how they had these very normal days to tell during dinner, yet randomly end up watching these Sharespear improvs.

There is definately some good and bad which makes this an average episode at best. The good is that I like most of Skinners and Chalmers characterisation, but I think as a duo they could have done way more and at least try out something new to expand their relationship. Jokes were mostly hit & miss but I thought they had some rather bad jokes which felt like they belong in another cartoon. The pacing wa so-so, it had only 1 plot yet it felt like they could have done better. Especially the last act should have been improved. Overall I like that they tried this duo with Skinner and Chalmers for a whole episode, it just felt like it could have been done better in a lot of ways. Not a whole lot of the Simpson family which I didn't mind. Its getting an average rating of:

3/5

1) Better than last week's because it was more straight forward.

2) The end credits needed the MTM cat meowing at the end. I can't hear the WKRP end theme and not hear that cat.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone noticed this or not, but in the audience where Chalmbers was giving his speech, the back head of a member of the audience looks very suspiciously like Edna Krabbaple-Flanders.

Hmmm....maybe she's pretending to be dead so she won't have to deal with Ned's piety??????

Doesn't Grandma Flanders count as a character voiced by Yeardley and not meant to be reminiscent of Lisa?

Did anyone else notice that Dewey Largo was among the guests at the bed & breakfast? I thought it was odd to randomly see one of the regular characters this far away from Springfield and among all these background characters. I guess he wanted some away time from school (I was reminded how he for instance shut himself inside a closet with headphones on just last week) but had his weekend ruined when caught in the middle of the Skinner-Chalmers conflict at its worst. Tough luck.

CousinMerl said:
Then that last act scene comes with the dinner scene and in which has Marge speaking a bit and Homer gets line. The scene itself felt kinda forced at first with Marge asking how their day were (when we didn't get to see it) and more like filler
I thought it was a straightforward but clever gag that basically explains why we've seen nothing of The Simpsons in this episode. Bart went on a field trip that was canceled, Lisa did normal stuff in the school, Homer says Lenny didn't go to work but Carl went in an inexpressive tone. They have a normal day, and that's why they were relegated.

I won't be writing a review of this episode this week because I am too busy (hopefully I will be back next week) but I subscribe to everything [MENTION=17229]CousinMerl[/MENTION] wrote up. This is by far the finest episode written by Jeff Westbrook so far. Finally! 4/5 for the community poll.

Last edited:
The one I could think of was, she voiced Angela Lansbury in Season 4's "Mr. Plow"...until you reminded me of Lisa Jr. ("Missionary Impossible," right?)
Haven't seen that episode in a while so I might've forgotten about that. Yep, Lisa, Jr. was from Missionary Impossible, but like I said (though I could've worded it differently) I don't count her since she was essentially a variation of Lisa (I also don't count Lisabella from Last Tap Dance in Springfield a few episodes later for the same reasons).

Okay, despite my snarky comment higher up in this thread I quite enjoyed this episode.

Maybe I set my expectations right at the start of this episode, I reminded myself that this was modern simpsons and that I shouldn't treat it as classic simpsons, It still feels like the story doesn't always develop in an organic manner, or maybe it does, it's hard to put words to my grievances sometimes.

That being said I Don't know if this episode could have been done any better, with these characters and this story, I think they did a really good job using the right characters. Bart and Seymour have always had an interesting relationship, It was a little weird seeing Bart treating skinner like a child, they have really transformed skinner into a man baby when he could have just been a pushover. Thankfully Bart was only there to kickstart the story. When I finally eased into this episode I really started appreciating the journey. I really enjoyed the back and forth and changing relationship dynamics between Seymour and Chalmers. This felt like an episode written by someone who knows the simpsons.

4/5

Back