R&R: The Princess Guide (TABF08)

What did you think?

• Total voters
Also, what was the slide whistle subversion gag? If it was just a joke of Carl playing it instead of it being background music, then I agree that it isn't FG-like at all, just a general joke. I was talking about the joke that they rehashed from Gone Maggie Gone in that same scene though.

This would be a good time to have watched the episode, so you know what the joke you're arguing about was.

Anyway, you've lost me so I'm just gonna go now.

This would be a good time to have watched the episode, so you know what the joke you're arguing about was.

Anyway, you've lost me so I'm just gonna go now.

Except I WASN'T arguing about the slide whistle joke, I was arguing about the joke they rehashed from Gone Maggie Gone, with the character still being in his normal clothes. There was no slide whistle joke in that episode. HerbertMcHoover thinks it's FG-esque, but I think it feels like a season 4 gag. You seem to think I'm arguing about a different thing than I am.

Carl: "There's no way I'm dressing up as an African princess."
*slide whistle*
Carl: "Thank you for listening to my objections."
Lenny: "Yeah, they were very vehement."
-The Princess Guide

Once again, you've completely lost me so I'm just gonna go now.

Carl: "There's no way I'm dressing up as an African princess."
*slide whistle*
Carl: "Thank you for listening to my objections."
Lenny: "Yeah, they were very vehement."
-The Princess Guide

Once again, you've completely lost me so I'm just gonna go now.

How have I lost you? I was arguing against the idea of the joke of Carl being in the same clothing as he was before, instead of dressing up as an African princess, as being FG-esque. Sure, they may have used it, but it certainly isn't a typical. FG gag. It's a better one than usual for them. YOU seemed to think I was arguing about the slide whistle joke in that same scene as being FG-esque. I wasn't. But I made the mistake of assuming there was a slide whistle joke in the first place.

Judging by the dialogue you posted, there was no joke ABOUT the slide whistle. I assumed there was a joke about Carl playing the slide whistle which was previously thought to be background music. That would just be a typical joke in any comedy, not FG-esque. BUT... it turns out that joke didn't exist. What you had wrongly labelled as "the slide whistle joke" was the dialogue you have posted above that contains a slide whistle in the middle. It was misleading, so I got the wrong idea that "the slide whistle joke" and the joke about Carl being in the same clothing as before were different. They were actually the same joke.

Do you understand?

Okay. I'll put it in plain English.
[MENTION=62459]pkkao[/MENTION], you had referred to the joke that had the slide whistle in the middle as "the slide whistle joke". We had previously been referring to it as the "Carl in the same clothing as he was before" gag. Therefore, I got the wrong impression that there was a joke that went like this:

*Slide whistle that is presumed to be background music plays*
LENNY: Stop doing that.
CARL: Sorry.

Okay. I'll put it in plain English.
[MENTION=62459]pkkao[/MENTION], you had referred to the joke that had the slide whistle in the middle as "the slide whistle joke". We had previously been referring to it as the "Carl in the same clothing as he was before" gag. Therefore, I got the wrong impression that there was a joke that went like this:

*Slide whistle that is presumed to be background music plays*
LENNY: Stop doing that.
CARL: Sorry.
Which is why you should have watched the episode so you knew what we were talking about.

Which is why you should have watched the episode so you knew what we were talking about.

I thought the "Carl in the same clothing as he was before" gag and "the slide whistle joke" were different jokes. The first one being the one we saw in the episode, and the second one being the one that I imagined. I was solely arguing for the first gag. Of course, I now know that they are the same gag.

Can we please stop this argument now?

[MENTION=48686]HerbertMcHoover[/MENTION], my point still stands though. The cutaway to Carl being in the same clothing as he was before instead of a fancy costume is not FG-esque, in my opinion. Unless you consider the usage of the slide whistle in the first place as FG-esque. I sorta agree with that, I suppose.

[MENTION=48686]HerbertMcHoover[/MENTION], my point still stands though. The cutaway to Carl being in the same clothing as he was before instead of a fancy costume is not FG-esque, in my opinion. Unless you consider the usage of the slide whistle in the first place as FG-esque. I sorta agree with that, I suppose.
Very confused why you asked me to drop the argument and you are still going.

instead of shit it was meh.

moe's ears and richard branson made me laugh

that whole door scene and richard wanting burns to donate to charity made me laugh the hardest. out of the whole season so far thats been the best thing.

2/5

Last edited:
*sigh* it was called FG-esque because it is actually a joke that had been done by Family Guy several years prior.

I agree with you though, it doesn't seem ridiculously out of place for The Simpsons. Plus I found it funny so *shrug*

*sigh* it was called FG-esque because it is actually a joke that had been done by Family Guy several years prior.

I agree with you though, it doesn't seem ridiculously out of place for The Simpsons. Plus I found it funny so *shrug*

Do you understand why I am saying all of the things I am saying?

Also, maybe. [MENTION=48686]HerbertMcHoover[/MENTION], did you call it that because it actually was on FG before or was it because you think it feels FG-esque anyway?

ohhhhh so that slide whistle joke was a jab at family guy? i didnt actually get it when i saw it. next time i see it i'll probably laugh.

ohhhhh so that slide whistle joke was a jab at family guy? i didnt actually get it when i saw it. next time i see it i'll probably laugh.

No. The only connection that joke has with Family Guy is, as tormented said "well it is FG like because FG did that exact same gag in death is a bitch which is like 15 years old. (IIRC death tells peter to go kill teenagers, peter goes "no way am i gonna kill them", then there's a transition and peter goes "see? i'm still here")" It's sort of a rehash of an FG gag, not a stab at them.

No. The only connection that joke has with Family Guy is, as tormented said "well it is FG like because FG did that exact same gag in death is a bitch which is like 15 years old. (IIRC death tells peter to go kill teenagers, peter goes "no way am i gonna kill them", then there's a transition and peter goes "see? i'm still here")" It's sort of a rehash of an FG gag, not a stab at them.

oh okay. im not a fan of FG, i thought it was a jab at their cutaways. kinda like how the audience would think that after the slide whistle, there would be Carl dressed like the princess.

Mediocre episode, with decent interaction between Moe and the Princess, but nothing of substance. Referencing Smithers 'burnsexual' side is actually much missed, but man did the writers take the piss by doing 4 or 5 different 'jokes' about it, really cringeworthy in the end.

A generous 2/5, 4/10, D+

Well I did watch the episode, and the Carl joke wasn't "Family Guy-esque". And that kind of joke didn't originate with the Simpsons either. It's funny how many people don't realize how old many comedy tropes and jokes really are.

I really enjoyed this episode, but not as much as I've enjoyed the posts where people are trying to explain a joke to someone who hasn't seen the episode.

Episode: 3/5

Last few posts of this thread: 5/5

May I ask maybe a stupid question? Are "Nigerian prince scam" emails even still a big thing in 2015? This just feels so anachronistic to me. If you told me Moe's plot was originally written in the early 90s, I'd believe it. I know scams still go on from all over the world, of course, but I had not heard this one referenced in years before this episode.

Seeing Moe treated nicely for a bit is always nice, so I can at least give this episode that much. But as others have said, the plots didn't really seem to know what they wanted to be. Smithers' fantasy bits were just sort of there, Homer was involved because hey, you gotta have at least one Simpson in the story and the stuff with Moe being scammed was just totally forgotten despite that clearly being the setup for Moe to have a motive, as soon as he fell for the princess it was never mentioned again and rendered pointless to even bring up.

Elon Musk stuff is fine btw, I guess it at least serves as an easy plot device for the SNPP being in trouble. I just wonder if we'll get much more of it this season. Simpsons attempt at doing something like South Park's recent Lorde thing perhaps?

Anyway, I dunno what to rate this episode. I'll just say 3/5 because I didn't exactly love or hate it. It was just kinda there.

May I ask maybe a stupid question? Are "Nigerian prince scam" emails even still a big thing in 2015?
Sadly Yes!! 419 scams (legal term) are still a big problem for law enforcers. Not just Nigerian, Texas oil barons, Mafia thugs that need fencing help, the name changes but its all the same thing. We the hip and up to date can laughingly dismiss anything outside our own sphere of experiences as not existing,.. but there is a Huge world out there that's full of the sad, the lonely, naive, badass wannabes, the elderly with no friends or living relatives, far to eager to respond to the slightest bit of kindness or attention.
My landlady just got took for $2000 .. and in total Marge-like innocence she Still writes back to the now nonexistent craigslist scammer asking him to find jesus and return her money.. I tried telling her shes replying to nobody. but she still tries.
Sadly, my grandfather got stung but is to ashamed to say how much.. His whole life has been marked with triumphant brushes with authority (to hear him tell it :-/) .. One letter about a Mafia dons need for a money fencing buddy & willing to let you in on a cut if you help him.(i got one of these also, maybe everyone has) turns out this $#!t appeals to some peoples danger loving darkside,.. and the beauty part is, the scammed are to ashamed to report their loss to the authorities.. and Why were you helping a mafia don?? so its a perfect crime!
A guy last year on the local news amazingly fessed up about being taking for a bundle in this way, it went as bad as you'd expect, he didnt get in trouble with the fuzz, but they couldnt help him either.

Back