Votes: 71 55.9%
  • 3/5- Mediocre, 3D would've looked amazing

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • 2/5- Disappointing

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 1/5- Worst. Documentary. Ever

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Sam Simon was in it, seriously? What'd he say?

Hey, what's wrong with a Milhouse tattoo Matt? :snooty:

That one on that guy's back though was really badass looking. The image anyways, I can't imagine getting something that crazy put on my body.

You know what is true? Conan's ending was hilarious.

Ah man I actually really laughed at that. So morbid. Someone rich here get Conan a spanish villa and pay him a billion dollars to spend the rest of his life writing Burns hijinks please.

Oh yeah, I thought it was enjoyable for what it was. Yeah circle jerky and overhyping but that's the point. I liked the real 3-eyed fish example. Can't help but find a little irony too in the fact die hard fans are sometimes looked on as kooky fringers, but we have two Scottish cities fighting over ownership of Willie meanwhile.

I didn't know Brazil made such a hissy fit over that episode though. I'm surprised they never mentioned that the one where they go to Japan is actually never aired there as well. One of the only episodes they exclude. Hm

I don't know why, but it's surprisingly nice to hear CBG say I liked it. It's stupid but, eh. :gatorshrug:

Maybe a half an our more would be nice but I don't know if it needed to be all that longer really.

]Ah man I actually really laughed at that. So morbid. Someone rich here get Conan a spanish villa and pay him a billion dollars to spend the rest of his life writing Burns hijinks please.

Well, NBC technically has to keeping paying him $20 million a year for the next five years if he leaves, so...

Anyways, it was a cute little documentary. It could've been longer, yes, but Spurlock did a decent job. I also noticed the lack of post-classic era clips, because that's the way it ought to be.

If it had a little more about the show itself, that would be nice. But I guess there was a bigger focus on the cultural impact and fandom, which isn't bad either. Although I really did not need to see Morgan Spurlock in a speedo. Again. I got enough of that from "Super Size Me".

4/5

it was funny and had lots of good gets (rusty nails?? sam simon???) but it felt kinda schizophrenic (here's a bunch of things with no real narrative thread or overall message) and shallow

plus no mention of bartmania

plus no mention of bartmania[/QUOTE]

I believe the reason why there is no mention of Bartmania is because Bart was the most popular character only during the early and possibly mid 90's. By the late 90's Homer has taken the title of most popular character and pushing Bart to runner-up in popularity.

This was fun... I would've liked to see a bit about famous guest stars, and more from the writers themselves.

And of course they all but mentioned the name NHC during the talk about forum posts...

I also really laughed at that uncomfortable moment when he's talking to that nice Argentinian guy who runs the Duff Brewery, and they're laughing and having a good time joking about whether anyone's made a fuss about it...then the narration.

"Fox has a pending lawsuit against him".

I believe the reason why there is no mention of Bartmania is because Bart was the most popular character only during the early and possibly mid 90's. By the late 90's Homer has taken the title of most popular character and pushing Bart to runner-up in popularity.
that's a historical factoid, not a reason

you can't talk about the global popularity and merchandising of the simpsons without talking about bartmania

I also really laughed at that uncomfortable moment when he's talking to that nice Argentinian guy who runs the Duff Brewery, and they're laughing and having a good time joking about whether anyone's made a fuss about it...then the narration.

"Fox has a pending lawsuit against him".

^I loved how nonchalant and matter-of-fact Spurlock delivered that line.

Last edited:
It's but a distant memory now I guess.

:(

Edit: Here's that guy's crazy back tattoo.

simpsons-tattoo1.jpg

felt way too rushed, but then again , even if spurlock had 4 hours for this , it would still feel rushed.

they should have released this in the theatres.... i mean glenn beck has special movie events come out in theaters!!

i mean, there's a prarie home companion movie next month coming out with garrisson keeler.

anyway.

great entertaining documentary. i thought spurlock was the perfect choice. but i would love ken burns to do one also in a couple of years so we get the ENTIRE PICTURE (even tho it will probably be a 43 parter on pbs) and a bit dry.

4/5
Liked it very much. It showed how vastly popular The Simpsons still is and had some interesting meetings(like the Mr. Plow and Duff-beer guys). However, I noticed the special was meant for the casual viewers, as they really didn't discuss the show's development or interviewed directors or writers(except Conan and past show runners). But that kind of in-depth documentary would need at least 2 hours to be even fairly comprehensive.

Btw, none of the shown fans happen to be a member here? :P

4/5 - thought it was great. Must have been a hell of a challenge to work out exactly what to fit in, hard to cram 20 years into 1 hr... so i think they went an unusual route instead of the perhaps predictable 'behind the scenes' stuff. The Sky Doc this week will have more of that style coverage, 3 half hour docs i think voiced by Ricky Gervais... 1 ep has cast & crew interviews, 1 with celeb cameo stuff, 1 with 'cultural impact' stuff.

Is there a list of things that should have been included?

The second thing that comes to my mind (after the already-mentioned interviewing of the "also starring" regulars) is, there should have been something about Springfield Elementary in Greenwood, SC (the school that was built in the early 1990s and they let the kids decide what to name it - and even after parents complained, the school board stuck by the decision; it's still called Springfield Elementary.)

-- Don

Is there a list of things that should have been included?

The second thing that comes to my mind (after the already-mentioned interviewing of the "also starring" regulars) is, there should have been something about Springfield Elementary in Greenwood, SC (the school that was built in the early 1990s and they let the kids decide what to name it - and even after parents complained, the school board stuck by the decision; it's still called Springfield Elementary.)

-- Don

I was also expecting a segment on that as well.

I'm really hoping that this special is released to DVD at double the length. There is no way that Morgan only filmed and editied enough to fill 45 minutes.

Has anybody seen the massive Star Wars documentary Empire of Dreams or the massive Superman documentary Look, Up In the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman? "The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special: In 3D! On Ice!" could easily match these were a 90+ minute version released.

You hear me FOX? A bare bones 20th season DVD I will not buy, but an extended documentary I WILL buy. Add the Ullman episodes as a bonus feature while you're at it.

4/5 Thought it was pretty good and interesting

The homer impersonator was extremely good

Flea's part in the beginning sucked, his dancing didn't fit what he was playing at all

I was not expecting it but then WHAM! Moby came outta nowhere. I jizzed in my pants at that point

Loved the documentary, though I facepalmed when I heard Spurlock mispronounce Glasgow. Seriously - he actually fucking went there and still got it wrong afterwards?!

(FYI, Morgan, it rhymes with 'snow'.)

Generally enjoyed it a lot, I loved the Argentina segment as I'm originally from that country.

Back