Season 34 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARRING! Some SPOILERS ALERT from an early review of "Habeas Tortoise" from Laughing place (if you're afraid/don't like them, don't see below, and just ignore this post.
  “Habeas Tortoise” begins at a Springfield town meeting, where Homer Simpson (Dan Castellaneta) is made to look like a fool because he doesn’t know what a library is. Homer starts to wonder if he’s actually stupid, so Marge (Julie Kavner) and the rest of the family take him on a trip to the zoo to cheer him up.

During their visit, Homer notices that his favorite animal– a nearly 140-year-old tortoise named “Slow Leonard”– has gone missing. Sadly no one around town takes him seriously about the disappearance, including the zookeeper (Tress MacNeille) and Police Chief Wiggum (Hank Azaria). Reluctantly, Homer turns to internet message boards for help, but is delighted to find that conspiracy-minded online cybersleuths are actually willing to listen to him for once. He befriends a group of these open-minded armchair detectives that includes the likes of Sideshow Mel, Miss Hoover, Comic Book Guy, Gil, and Superintendent Chalmers, and together they start to put together wild theories about what could possibly have happened to poor Leonard. Eventually Homer accidentally solves the crime (which– SPOILER ALERT– turns out not to have been a crime at all, but he’s enjoying the company of the other theorists so much that he decides not to tell them until things start to get out of control.

In joining a group of conspiracy theorists, Homer finds a circle of friends who won’t laugh at him for having outlandish (and frequently ignorant) ideas. There’s a comfort in that, and the supportive community that builds around the sharing of those ideas can be self-perpetuating, with little to no oversight. But beyond the obvious message being delivered, The Simpsons has proven that even this far into its run it’s capable of delivering an entertaining half hour with a satisfying number of laugh-out-loud jokes, such as the opening riff regarding Mayor Quimby (Castellaneta again) banning Columbus Day celebrations in Springfield– I loved the mobsters being the only ones to oppose this notion. At this point The Simpsons, as an institution, has become comfort food– like the paella Homer cooks for his conspiracy group. “You’ve never toasted anything for us, including toast,” complains Marge. Keep being you, Homer Simpson, and we’ll keep watching… at least until the show becomes unprofitable. 
As non-spoiler thing, here is the final, subjective, estimation from that Mike Celestino
“Habeas Tortoise” is by no means one of the great episodes of The Simpsons, but it is a relatively competent one, telling a cohesive story that plays out in an intriguing manner with plenty of laughs to be had along the way. But I especially enjoyed the point this episode is making about why people often choose to believe some very strange things in the face of direct evidence to the contrary.

Love the Miss Hoover representation this season!!!! Also, does anyone else feel like this is a retread of You Won't Believe What This Episode Is About? from last season??

Last edited:
I wonder who will be the character in season 34’s cover this year. We haven’t had Smithers yet, along with other characters such as Reverend Lovejoy or Principal Skinner.

The article says that the season premiere will be this Sunday September 18th on the FOX Network, is that some kind of mistake or will we really have the premiere much earlier than the 25th???

About the episode, uh, it reminds me a lot of "Homer Goes to Prep School" which is a guilty pleasure of mine so I hope I can enjoy this episode as much as that one.
Mistake - they're probably just assuming that it's on the 18th because the Emmys were on the 12th. I don't think any shows, on any networks, have their season premieres before the 19th this year.

The article says that the season premiere will be this Sunday September 18th on the FOX Network, is that some kind of mistake or will we really have the premiere much earlier than the 25th???
Oh, that's typo, editor's mistake - never mind
Love the Miss Hoover representation this season!!!! Also, does anyone else feel like this is a retread of You Won't Believe What This Episode Is About? from last season??
Yes, yes it is! :D LaZebnik as co-runner, a group of 5, Internet society etc.
Breaking news! Tim Long is the writer for 'Homer's Adventure Through the Windshield Glass', most likely in the production code of OABF14:
We certainly knew that, didn't we? :uhh:

"THE SIMPSONS" - (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

LISA JOINS THE BOY EXPLORER GROUP AND COMPETES WITH BART ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9, ON FOX

Anna Faris ("Mom") Makes Guest Voice Appearance

When the Boy Explorers become co-ed, Bart and Lisa vow to "out scout" each other at the annual jamboree in the all-new "Lisa the Boy Scout" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Oct. 9 (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3321) (TV-PG L,V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Anna Faris as Female Hacker, Matthew Friend as Baby Jeff Goldblum

"THE SIMPSONS" - (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

LISA JOINS THE BOY EXPLORER GROUP AND COMPETES WITH BART ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9, ON FOX
...for those of you who missed Lisa trying to out-boy the boys in "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" (1997) or "Girls Just Want to Have Sums" (2006).
I am a little surprised this is airing before "The King of Nice," which has an earlier production number. (I assume "Not It" is being saved for closer to Halloween, especially now that we know there won't be any baseball pre-emptions and both 10/23 and 10/30 are Fox NFL doubleheader days.)

Last edited:
...for those of you who missed Lisa trying to out-boy the boys in "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" (1997) or "Girls Just Want to Have Sums" (2006).
Luckily this time the focus won't be on this. 99% these "girl as boy scout" is just wraparound/premise in act 1:boring:
I am a little surprised this is airing before "The King of Nice," which has an earlier production number. (I assume "Not It" is being saved for closer to Halloween, especially now that we know there won't be any baseball pre-emptions and both 10/23 and 10/30 are Fox NFL doubleheader days.)
There is some possible logic in it: Oct 9 (as well as 23 and 30) is "boost" day, so they want something to hype with to wider auditory, like that crazy "possible new gem" Lisa the Boy Scout. While "The King of Nice" is more casual story, which can be less hyped. Not IT and THOH are already hyped and GOING TO air for bigger amount of viewers. If this doesn't sound silly, you'll agree in something. For this reason last season THOH for purpose was moved before all other October episodes.😅

Saying in advance, by this logic I'm curious about "Step brother" and "Beer". EIDR site put the latter on boost Sunday, not the first. What can be more hyped than Melissa McCarthy starring?

And to not write "just because" here is some useful information:): Many Saints of Springfield is Fat Tony story ("not origin", but close)

Even though 'Lisa The Boy Scout' doesn't have an original plot, I just cant help but like how simple and down to earth the premise seem to be (and I can't say no to a Bart & Lisa conflict story), yet the weirdly colorful selection of promo images (as shown on the last page) doesn't make it seem so straightforward at all so color me even more intrigued.

Speaking of Fat Tony. In fact, the staff has ruined his character to earth. I don't say it's exceeded or something - NOT AT ALL. I mean, earlier in the series he had own story once in 2-3 seasons. The initial aim - various references/parody on Godfather. But in recent seasons (under both showrunners, to said) he became like recurring character with fixed mob clichés, those are stopping to be funny (at least for me).
Plus, the fans have considered Fat Tony character is off-voiced (I don't care it cause usually hear the translation:P) since Donnie Fatso - well, accept the fact Joe Mantegna already is in age for a long - of course, his voice have been changed.

Interesting, but in term of "series continuity" there wasn't any story about origin of Fat Tony - nowadays, in the times of "every secondary character to be exposed" that would add some fresh to him (even for one episode only).🧐

I always thought Fat Tony was one of the few to not be ruined after 8-12 or so. So, I'm usually down for anything starring him.

Besides, not like every secondary is gonna get something. There's a couple that obviously aren't ever gonna get anything good.

noo-the-simpsons.gif
What matters is that you are an Old Schooler Simpson. Thank yourself for being a fan of the classic seasons.

Okay folks, three new promo pictures for Lisa the Boy Scout are up on FOXFLASH. And here's what they look like:

1663715252168.png
And now finally, FIVE promo pictures for Lisa the Boy Scout are finally in the S34 section in FOXFLASH. And sure enough, the S33 section is also removed as well, which is great news

a sneak peek from Habeas Tortoise

new info in bold
In other Simpsons news this fall, Melissa McCarthy plays Homer's stepbrother and becomes a rival for Grampa's love, Marge gets a job on Krusty's Ellen-esque daytime show, future Lisa is involved in a love triangle with Nelson and a character played by Simu Liu, and you'll get not one but two "Treehouse of Horror" episodes come Halloween.

Now we see Marge in Canyonero, and Homer in bushes mem:lol:

And also from season premiere:
"Conspiracies used to be entertaining, and now some of the conspiracy-hunting communities have become so detached from demonstrable reality that what used to be kind of funny mental exercises are helping to unravel civilization," executive producer Matt Selman tells EW, noting the difference in the world since the show's 2000 episode "The Computer Wore Menace Shoes." "We were inspired by the [2019] documentary Don't F--- with Cats, which was about how people come together through social media on these small causes and become very fervent about them. This episode is about how dangerous it is that people believe so strongly in a conspiracy that they cannot accept the rational truth, no matter how obvious and indisputable that truth is. That's a scary thing."

"Habeas Tortoise" wasn't designed to simply mock or shame conspiracy movements such as QAnon and Flat Earthers (though the former seems to be looking to the series for fodder)' it's to explore what motivates someone to dive down these holes with so many holes in them. Selman says the creators wanted to have "empathy for why people feel so connected to these groups."

"Ultimately people just want to feel like they're part of a community of people that respect each other," he continues, "and people feel like they've been talked down to and they feel like they've been told they're dumb, so they formed these very intense communities with very intense specific belief systems.... We're trying to explore the emotional dynamic of how conspiracy cults become so fervent. Obviously we're making fun of conspiracy-theory social-media fervor. But at the same time, we wanted to have a relatable [episode] about the human element of it all, the dynamic of how people go so deep."

Oh, and here's something that certain people don't want you to know: The ending of "Habeas Tortoise" takes a different kind of conspiratorial turn. "People see conspiracies everywhere now," hints Selman, "but maybe the real conspiracy is people are getting rich off selling conspiracies online." In addition, the episode winks at the show's perceived ability to foretell the future. "We confront that notion head-on," he teases.
That must be "special concept episode", isn't it?:confused:

Also, from the article confirmed love triangle Lisa is involved in with Nelson and a character played by Simu Liu

As for the clip it was meh. Available for all thanks to @LetsPlayNintendoITA

And also, those 3 new picture from Lisa the Boy Scout

Lisa_the_Boy_Scout_promo_12.png

Lisa_the_Boy_Scout_promo_13.png

Lisa_the_Boy_Scout_promo_14.png

I love the last one.

Dumscrolling for some reason and found a show info section on FoxFlash. Don't mind, when it was updated, but it states John Roberts will guest star as Linda Belcher in the Simpsons
Guest voice appearances this season include Simu Liu, Anna Faris, John Roberts as BOB’S BURGERS’ Linda Belcher, and Melissa McCarthy, who will play Homer’s rival for Grampa’s love.
Off-top - Fox still insist series premiere on Jan 14, 1990. Oh, dear, again😅

Dumscrolling for some reason and found a show info section on FoxFlash. Don't mind, when it was updated, but it states John Roberts will guest star as Linda Belcher in the Simpsons

Off-top - Fox still insist series premiere on Jan 14, 1990. Oh, dear, again😅
It’s just her? Or will the whole Belcher Family eventually be announced to guest star?

Also, why does Fox not consider “Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” the actual premiere? 🤨 It literally says in the following paragraph, “THE SIMPSONS exploded into popular culture in 1989 and has remained one of the most groundbreaking and innovative entertainment franchises”.

It’s just her? Or will the whole Belcher Family eventually be announced to guest star?
I safely dare in this thread, that will be a short cameo like a look from Bobs Burgers series or like put Linda as example for… something.

That case with counting "Roasting" or not (throug it was officially counted for much times) is for much-much years. Don't mind on this😅

Now with bigger focus I found other details:
I was wondered what the "pink blooms" around Canyonero - the answer is silly - it's part of the damaged last "I" from the title. Just… just nice detail.😊
Also, that "Homer-like thing" under "M" letter I mentioned a while ago is… Homer trying to jump over Springfield Chasm (Bart the Daredevil moment). By the way, drawn in season 2 style.
And also: Homer in bushes has sad face unlike original.

Additional information about the season premiere.

"Right now, there’s an episode in production about a (non-pandemic) lockdown that causes Lisa anxiety."

(From the interview with Yeardley Smith.)

Bedeviled for the last few years by politically correct outrage-mania for its comedic ethnic stereotypes, “The Simpsons” takes on that very subject in the first scene of this Sunday’s 34th-season premiere on Fox.

The scene is a town meeting in the Springfield library in which Mayor Quimby is asking the people of the town to vote on a proposal to ban Columbus Day.

“So, all in favor of the city of Springfield no longer celebrating Columbus Day due to the problematic behavior of Christopher Columbus …”

“Aye!” cries his audience in unison and lockstep, except for -- and this serves as a punchline of sorts -- the Italian mafioso Fat Tony and his henchmen, who happen to be one of the show’s most enduring, stereotypical characters.

The scene is one of many that the defiant writers and producers of “The Simpsons” have included in multiple episodes ever since an over-blown “controversy” arose in 2018 over the show’s characterization of Apu, the Kwik-E-Mart owner and Indian immigrant.
What an explanations about, I guess, 10-second scene🤗

UPD. Found a sneak peek for Habeas and One Angry Lisa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back