Welcome to the Season 34 Information Thread, where we keep track of news and information about the 2022-2023 season of The Simpsons. Also the shorts, I guess. Please keep in mind this information is subject to change.
- 5/19: Matt Selman previews two upcoming format-bending episodes
- 5/2: Strike declared; synopsis and guest stars for "Homer's Adventure Through The Windshield Glass;" director for "It's A Blunderful Life"
To discuss episodes that have already aired, please check out our Rate & Review archive.
OABF13 - Homer's Adventures Through The Windshield Glass (season finale) - May 21, 2023
- "Takes place entirely in Homer’s mind during a split-second when he is thrown through the windshield of his car." (LaughingPlace.com)
- Lizzo guest stars as a singing Happy Little Elf doll, who will sing a song composed by by Bret McKenzie and Tim Long. (LaughingPlace.com, Dominic Corry)
- Written by Tim Long. (Michael Price)
- The story begins with Homer driving, "furious with Marge because she's been hiding a secret from him." As he's going through the windshield during an accident, Homer talks to a Happy Little Elf doll "that comes to life and becomes his spirit guide." There will be song entitled "It Was Marge, Bitch" ("'and the bitch in question is Homer,' quips Long") performed by Lizzo, with lyrics by Long and melody by McKenzie. The episode ends with Lizzo recording her part with the Simpsons (in "sort of a weird 'behind-the-scenes' reality") and jamming with Lisa. (Entertainment Weekly)
- Synopsis: Time stands still after Homer crashes his car and flies through the windshield. As his life flashes before his eyes, a magical friend (voiced and sung by Lizzo) helps Homer learn the secret truth about his marriage. Guest Cast: Lizzo as Lizzo, Happy Little Elf; Bowen Yang as Richard; Tim Robinson as Mercer (TheFutonCritic)
OABF16 - A Mid-Childhood's Night Dream
- Co-run and written by Carolyn Omine. (Matt Selman via Sandboy, Carolyn Omine)
- Directed by Matthew Faughnan. (Carolyn Omine)
OABF19 - It's A Blunderful Life
- Written by Elisabeth Kiernan Averick. (Al Jean)
- Table read: October 27, 2022.
- Directed by Matthew Nastuk. (Al Jean)
OABF20 - McMansion & Wife
- Written by Dan Vebber. (Carolyn Omine)
- Written by Rob LaZebnik. (Al Jean)
35ABF03 - Frinkenstein's Monster
- Written by Joel H. Cohen. (Al Jean)
Treehouse of Horror XXXIV (Michael Price)
- Written by Cesar Mazariegos. (Michael Price)
- Table read: week of October 21, 2022.
Do The Wrong Thing (EIDR)
- Written by Joel H. Cohen. (Michael Price)
- The show was renewed for seasons 35 & 36 in January 2023. (Entertainment Weekly)
- This brings them to 801 episodes. (Matt Selman)
- The season finale will be the 750th episode. (Entertainment Weekly)
- Since Season 33, episodes showrun by Matt Selman have a "co-runner," which he defines as "the senior producer who creatively supervised that story from inception to air. (The co-runner's credit runs first at the top of the show they produced.)" (Matt Selman)
- Al Jean is showrunning at least six episodes of production season 34. (Al Jean) [4/4]
- "The Simpsons writers are already plotting several return appearances in season 34 for [Bart's new teacher Ms. Peyton]." (Entertainment Weekly) [4/21]
- A Sideshow Bob episode is in the works. (Michael Price) [10/18]
- Matt Selman wants to do a couch gag with Jorge R. Gutierrez. (Matt Selman) [11/14]
- Mike Scully wrote an episode that he thinks will air "maybe November of this year." (BBC Radio Suffolk, 1:15:40) [2/21]
- Matthew Friend is returning. (Matthew Friend) [3/22]
- The Writers Guild of America, of which the Simpsons writers are members, has declared a strike. (WGA) [5/2]
- Give Me My Remote: When the series returns in the fall, THE SIMPSONS will do another docuseries-type episode, “kind of like the Elizabeth Holmes documentary-type show,” Selman previews. “We’ve done documentary episodes before…so this is not [entirely new]. But the flexibility we have and the comfort the audience feels with our characters in our world is such a huge creative advantage. A lot of shows couldn’t do that.” [5/19]
- Give Me My Remote: “I always liked the [season 7 episode] ’22 Short Films About Springfield,’” Selman says. “I said, ‘Can we do another one like that, but different? Not just cutting around [to quick stories about characters].’ [And] we actually have another one, sort of similar to that, in the works for next year.” [5/19]