Season 33 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 minute single musical number. WH-A-A-T?!o_O Also that "article in Atlantic", that inspired the plot

UPDATED 8 minutes with commercial break time in the middle of song
I hate to say it, but this episode is dead since it was announced that it was going to have a musical element. Especially after seeing how people trashed "The Star of the Backstage" to the point of being considered one of the worst episodes of the entire series, it looks like we'll have a pretty polarizing season finale on our hands.

Either way, I still think it will be awesome. Oh, and welcome back by the way Sandboy, it's been a while, until yesterday 🙂

Last edited:
So... They're basically going to give every overly long gag from FG and even their own show a run for their money? Nice... That's probably going to be my make or break moment as to whether I'll want to continue watching when it gets interrupted by the ad break.

Didn't really like The Star of Backstage and for actual reasons besides being a musical, and I don't really see this being any better compared to both that and The Last Barfighter (overrated) as a season finale.

The best this episode can hope to achieve is being only 5% better than Lisa Goes Gaga (not even the worst season finale!). But considering how the latest episode was worse than Burger Kings (*gets pelted with rocks*), I doubt it!

Tbh, even with the screwed up morals of Star of the Backstage (and the incredible hypocrisy on a similar incident in THOH32 just two eps later) I'd still call it one of the more tolerable of Season 33. Even if it bent continuity a bit we got some character stuff from Marge that did make sense for her (she always tended to get pushed around a lot by other women or her sisters and ties into her often seeing things with rose-tinted lenses) and most of the episode's cast were characters that didn't get much attention like Helen and Hibbert. I wish they'd been focused on instead of the guest star and Lenny not be taken out of the picture so soon but otherwise? It was more of less fine. It felt less empty or disingenuously saccharine as some of the later ones and actually had some interesting concepts.
Guess I'm just twisted in that way but also I'm okay with musicals in general. I mean I'll take original song numbers over montages to (generic pop song) anyday.

... Now 8 minutes long on the other hand... that feels like it'll drag on. Even series that are mostly just songs like the "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" series either don't go on for that long or have some breaks.

I'd laugh if the 8 minute song was a parody like a "Bart out of hell" (longest classic rock song I can think of).

@Venomrabbit It's probably within my top 10 of the season... But that's a very low bar considering how not good this season has mostly been with only three or four episodes that I feel are worth revisiting at a later point (and obviously it's not one of them).

I'm also fine with musicals if done right, but it didn't really work there for other reasons like it's very twisted ideal of who to portray in which light and so far I don't really see this one fairing any better.

Season 33 will be the first season started and ended with 2 respective musical episodes. It started with a Marge-centric musical episode ("The Star of the Backstage") and will end with another musical episode but centered in Bart ("Poorhouse Rock").

So, PH will have 8 minutes with the characters singing and how many minutes did the Simpson family and Snake Jailbird to sing in "All Singing, All Dancing" (without the flashbacks and without the clips from old episodes)?.

Last edited:
Doesn't count since their singing was still broken up by the cuts to the older songs. This sounds like they'll be singing non-stop for eight minutes excluding the ad break in-between.

I hate to say it, but this episode is dead since it was announced that it was going to have a musical element. Especially after seeing how people trashed "The Star of the Backstage" to the point of being considered one of the worst episodes of the entire series, it looks like we'll have a pretty polarizing season finale on our hands.
You based your opinion of people hate "The Star of Backstage" just on IMdB rating [force] drop? I can spoil, people will drop Poorhouse too, for the same musical reason… even before episode will air:shake:

Sure, nobody a few likes musical episodes (I say in general, not only of The Simpsons), but hate any episode just when it's announced to be musical/with musical element is… if not really stupid then really unfair

I think there is a little bit of wiggle room and they could make up for the song as long as the story is somewhat interesting. To be honest, I read the article that this episode is inspired by and it's a really interesting topic that has plenty of opportunity for good satire.

Also, not every musical episode is hated for being a musical, "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious" or "The President Wore Pearls" have proven not to be complete write-offs. So there's still hope that this one doesn't fall off I guess...

A sneak peek of Poorhouse Rock.
Gosh! Few seconds I missed to post first:lol::lol:

The song was, let's said, dancing, but I missed what Homer's job has common with 1945?

Modern viewers might very well wonder how an oaf like Homer (Dan Castellanata) can afford a house and car on a single income. Well, don't worry: Hugh Jackman shows up in the upcoming season finale to explain the history of the American middle class — in song, of course! Watch the EW exclusive preview above.
This is Jackman's debut on The Simpsons, after previously turning them down due to a scheduling conflict. As you can see in the clip, the star of Broadway's current The Music Man revival gets to show off his singing chops
"My understanding is that we offered him a part a few years ago, and he wanted to do it, but was swamped for time," episode writer Tim Long tells EW. "This time he was available and gave us an enthusiastic yes! He also loved the part and the song we wrote for him, which I think really play to his enormous talents."

In the episode, Jackman voices a janitor at the nuclear power plant where Homer works. Bart (Nancy Cartwright) has accompanied his father to the job site, where the janitor explains how the post-World War II era brought prosperity to the American middle class that allowed people like Homer to succeed despite their failings. But then "gradually, it all went to hell," as Jackman sings.

"We were intrigued and amused by an article in The Atlantic titled, 'The Life in the Simpsons Is No Longer Attainable,'" Long says. "At first we thought it was pretty funny. The Simpsons is a cartoon, after all, and the show's relationship with money is very fungible. Homer once got his hands on a trillion-dollar bill, and immediately tried to use it in a soda machine."

Long continues, "but the more we thought about it, the more we thought The Atlantic had a point. Homer really does belong to the last generation of people who can hold a good, middle-class job with benefits for life, without some sort of higher degree. There's no way Bart will have that. And then after ruminating about that for a few days, we came to the inevitable conclusion: It's got to be a musical! And we gotta get both Hugh Jackman and former Labor Secretary Robert Reich! From there, it all kinda came together."
Long's not lying. Although he doesn't appear in the clip above, Reich (who served as U.S. Labor Secretary under President Bill Clinton) does show up in the episode as himself to help explain the history of American middle-class decline.

Also a question:
This is Jackman's debut on The Simpsons, after previously turning them down due to a scheduling conflict
"My understanding is that we offered him a part a few years ago, and he wanted to do it, but was swamped for time,"
When it was? For what episode?

Last edited:
5 new promos for PR on Fox Flash (one of them is that from EW) and for some reason they deleted Robert Reich imageo_O

Also I found some similarity with another Tim Long's musical season finale😱. Both shorts are just before a song
(Sorry for quality - was too fast :))

Screenshot_20220519-103557_Opera.jpgScreenshot_20220519-103718_Opera.jpg

Last edited:
Wish you could zoom in to view them without needing an account, curious about this one.
Well, I never logged in for FOXFLASH unfortunately (I know Trab Pu Kcip does, if I remember, even though he's been very busy recently). And why I never logged in for FOXFLASH is only because I do not have an account for FOXFLASH at all. But anyway, about the other promo pictures, I'm sure the other promo pictures are very interesting as well. And not to mention, it looks like it's also gonna be a very big episode as well 🙂

Last edited:
Okay, here you go (I hope these picture sizes are better than, you know...):
Poorhouse_Rock_promo_9.png
Poorhouse_Rock_promo_10.png
Poorhouse_Rock_promo_11.png
Poorhouse_Rock_promo_12.png
Poorhouse_Rock_promo_13.png
And once again, thank you Wikisimpsons for the five more promo pictures for Poorhouse Rock that you uploaded from FOXFLASH

Last edited:
Holy shit that last shot... I'd almost forgotten that there was a side-cast in the show. Have we seen Quimby at all until this?

So guessing that big musical number spans most of the cast? Presumably a solo bit with Martin, given the cape?

Holy shit that last shot... I'd almost forgotten that there was a side-cast in the show. Have we seen Quimby at all until this?
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure, I don't think Quimby's appeared at all so far this season (don't remember his last appearance either). Think its the same for Luann too.

So many characters, and all of them not used to their full potential sadly. This Season has been kind of empty when it comes to the recurring cast of The Simpsons, at least what I would consider the recurring cast to be. Mr Burns has barely even appeared in this Season (the episode he had with Marge is pretty forgettable imo). Don't think we've seen much of Willie & the Barflies (Sam & Larry) this Season either.

Speaking of Martin, while they have the usual kids that are used along with him (those others been Nelson, Ralph & Milhouse), glad to see Wendell, Sherri & Terri part of the musical, or at least this part (Rod & Todd are too, but I find them kind of forgettable).

I found some similarity with the end of Phineas and Ferb episode "Summer Belongs to You".
Poorhouse_Rock_promo_13.png
1652966716433.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back