Rate & Review: "Clown V. Board of Education" (OABF15)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
xlqHB6k.png

Season 34, Episode 21
Original Airdate
: May 14, 2023

Writer: Jeff Westbrook
Showrunner: Al Jean
Director: Lance Kramer

Synopsis: Krusty opens a school for clowning, and it becomes the most successful thing he's ever done.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.19 / 5 (as of September 25, 2023 / 37 votes)
IMDb User Rating: 6.3 / 10

Last edited:
There's a whole other forum out there for folks who like to weigh in on episodes they haven't watched yet...

Episode presently sits at a 3.2 before it has even aired... although, hey, some folks are blind praising it as well.

lxQvsWU.png

Interestingly enough, I'll point out that 9 of these 12 votes hail from the United Kingdom... and they technically don't get to watch tonight's episode (legitimately) until May 28th. Write Off This Episode just premiered on Sky a few hours ago in London time.

Last edited:
Well tonight's episode was certainly entertaining. I kinda like the idea of Krusty opening a clown school, while Bart and his friends became clowns. Surprising to see that there's a short scene with Krusty and Fat Tony during the ending credits until the rest of the credits played in the black screen afterwards, but hey... I guess I'll go for 4/5

I haven’t seen the episode yet, but I’m at a hotel that’s playing FOX on one of the lobby TVs, so I was able to catch a few brief (but completely mute) snippets
0519AD3C-8535-45C4-8C99-9CA7932796C7.jpeg

What I’ll say based off what I’ve seen is that this has been the YEAR for Fat Tony. I think you can make the argument that this has been one of his most intensive seasons ever. He’s taken up an important role in Top Goon, The Many Saints of Springfield, and now this. It’s cool to see him get so much attention

Full review coming soon

Full review coming 2morrow, but I did see that Rainier Wolfcastle now has a 3rd kid now

What I’ll say based off what I’ve seen is that this has been the YEAR for Fat Tony. I think you can make the argument that this has been one of his most intensive seasons ever. He’s taken up an important role in Top Goon, The Many Saints of Springfield, and now this. It’s cool to see him get so much attention
I'm not inherently against the idea of Mantegna's Fat Tony being leaned on more as a reliable hand in lieu of relegating Shearer's roles (most notably Mr. Burns) to the sidelines. I have no shortage of appreciation for Joe's enthusiasm for the character and the Simpsons as a whole and I actually think his voicework has steadily improved over time.

What I do have a problem with is how the writer's room insists on playing it safe with the character - and his one-note hackneyed henchmen - and going to the cliched mobster movie well every single time instead of expanding on his characterization in any meaningful way that would allow them to break out of that habit. Honestly, I enjoyed the plots of Top Goon and Clown V. Board of Education a LOT more before the 3rd act "here's Fat Tony to do his mobster shtick and throw water on this unique and compelling premise so they can reset button it away in 8 minutes". We've quite literally seen all this stuff before.

Moe being a pseudo-father figure to Nelson who has otherwise lacked one for 34 seasons? That was new.

Bart being excited about and proficient at learning? That was new... even if if did undercut pretty much everything Selman's done with Ms. Peyton.

Fat Tony showing up with his crew to shit up that newness and go through the greatest hits of Legs, Louie and Johnny Tightlips being one-dimensional stereotypes? That's not new. I don't want to react negatively whenever Fat Tony shows up but that's kind of my reflex action now and I hate that. If they did something unique and interesting with Fat Tony and his gang? Well, yeah, sure... then I'd be enthused about it. But they don't. And when their involvement undercuts a story that's otherwise showing some real promise, that's even worse.

I'm not going to balk at more screentime for Fat Tony but they can't be afraid of making him more multi-dimensional in doing so. Bring Michael back and make him a recurring character and show Tony's strife at being a single father. Make him a sympathetic character. Have another villain undercut him and maybe have him lose his gang and he has to fight to get them back. Hell, recycle some of the more noteworthy Burns plots and give them a fresh Tony spin. Just do something interesting with him instead of employing him to effectively sabotage the interesting things you're doing with everyone else. Honestly, I thought A Made Maggie was a step in the right direction towards doing just that... even if it was a one-off and didn't actually lead anywhere.

Okay, now I watched it lol

So, I made sure before I checked this episode out that I would watch Homie the Clown first. Needless to say, Homie the Clown was fantastic, right now it's in my top 25 episodes of all time. Of course, this shares a lot of similarities. I wouldn't call it a rip-off, because these episodes focus on completely different things, but damn is the resemblance uncanny. The weirdest part was the lack of acknowledgement of this. I was expecting the episode to wink at the audience at some point and say "hey we've done this before", but they don't at all, and it feels so strange

Anyways, you know what Homie the Clown did really well? Getting Fat Tony and the mafia involved. They establish him as a threat at the very beginning of the episode, immediately establishing the episode's stakes. But this is where Clown v. Board suffers, simply because Fat Tony doesn't need to be here. In Homie the Clown, the repayment of his debt was the whole reason Krusty founded the clown college. Here, he just shows up at the end of the second act to artificially inflate the tension. But, why? The episode had a strong enough focus on Bart's enthusiasm for learning, why did we need to add Tony? It feels adlibbed, like they could've added any antagonist character to ruin the school. I could see Burns doing the exact same shit the mafia does. They don't even give him a resolution, he just burns down the school and leaves. Yeah, I take back my enthusiasm from earlier, he unfortunately feels wasted here

Speaking of Bart, damn do they not taking advantage of the strengths of this episode. I think Bart's storyline is really charming, and made this episode pretty enjoyable to watch for that second act. It was a little generic, but it worked for me. The problem is this episode is bad at focusing. Bart is given a nice second act to do stuff, but for much of the first and third acts, he is a nonfactor. The third act kinda wastes him too, as they just have him bust Fat Tony (which was weird because how would he even know they were meeting up) and say some nice things to Krusty. Bart's lack of focus isn't the only problem though, this episode kinda flipflops between characters to devote the episode to. It's a Krusty episode, then it's a Bart episode, then it's a Fat Tony episode, and then it's over. The whole episode feels like a mix of three different scripts, resulting in a very odd watch

At first, I thought this was decent, but this episode is getting worse and worse in my eyes now that I've finished. The Bart stuff is really strong, but there isn't nearly enough of it to save the episode. 3.5/10, time to hype up Windshield Glass

EDIT: Lowered my score from a 4.5 to a 3.5

Last edited:
This was like a good season 25 episode. It wasnt bad but it did feel like it was going off old charaterizations, it feels weird to say Bart is getting nothing out of school after his new teacher, or saying Homer and Marge barely even notice Lisa plays the Sax in their attentive parents era, and little moments like that were in the entire episode and distracted from it a lot.

Not gonna say having a bunch of gags all episode over using the time for the plot is inherently bad and there were enough funny moments where it was more successful than not (more Pin Gal and less When Nelson Met Lisa) but a few of them were a bit predictable, like the entire Wolfcastle scene (I even said "Im not finished" before he did). It was nice to see Bart excited about learning and those little moments saved the episode from feeling like there was really nothing to it but gags (even if there wasnt enough of it).

The third act also felt random, like they wanted a reason for the school to end abruptly but getting the mob involved felt like an odd character pairing that was potentially interesting but would have been better off without it. They were doing something with the talk about schools being the last frontier of for profit people but this seemed like a plot for Lindsay Negal or Burns to take over, not the mob. It also kinds of undermines that plot for criminals to take over and burn it down, because it becomes less a "this is how for profit schools are" and just becomes "the mob sucks." Once again the Bart moment at the end helped but the ending still felt abrupt.

Wasn’t a fan of this one. Instead of a cohesive plot, we received a bunch of loosely related scenes that were just attempts at jokes, and none of them landed for me. We got a little bit of Bart showing that he was good in school, and maybe they could’ve leaned into that more, but instead we got the mob involved. Fat Tony hasn’t been especially interesting lately, and I’m not sure why he’s been so prevalent lately. @Brad Lascelle is correct in his criticism of how the writers “play it safe” with him too much. There were a few parts regarding Krusty and his late father that I guess were supposed to invoke some emotion? It didn’t work. I really didn’t find any redeeming qualities in this. Still better than “When Nelson Met Lisa,” though. 1/5

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a glimpse of the human under Krusty’s clown makeup (or just his clownish pallor? Idk, they go back and forth). I saw it almost instantly in the respect between Krusty and his fellow washed-up clowns at their dinner together, and it was sustained throughout the episode, so bravo on that. The clown school concept was interesting, and different enough from “Homie the Clown”’s setup to justify its existence, though a callback would have been nice. (Personally, I would have had Bart get in as a legacy.)

Fat Tony seems like the go-to guy now when they need a conflict and it can’t come from the characters at hand—Bart’s doing fine, Krusty’s doing fine, enter the mafia man. (Sometimes it feels like he’s a pinch-hitter for characters who should be the source of conflict, but have served the same purpose in similar stories so many times that the writers know we’re sick of it—typically when Bart is onto something you can expect Lisa to wrench him off it, but he knows that as well as we do and heads her neatly off at the pass, so where’s your Act 3?) I like the episode’s commitment to Krusty and this story where his budding interest in something authentic has to clash with his cowardice, and the side plot of Bart showing an actual knack for academia when it’s served up clown-style is, if predictable, also very charming (his knowledge of obscure historical clown facts is an especially good note). Here’s my question: is Krusty still Bart’s hero in the Jean-Selman era? Maybe he’s earned that status by the end of the episode, for helming this educational experiment that worked on Bart, but when was the last time Bart loved Krusty for Krusty’s sake? Krusty’s mere presence would have been the major draw of the school for the 90s edition of Bart. (For that matter, so would the elephant, but I reluctantly accept that not everything can, or should, be about Stampy.)

I ask this because this episode had a strong Krusty story and a strong Bart story—two parallel stories which had, in theory, everything to do with each other—and they didn’t touch each other until story A needed a quick ending. (I’m not gonna ask how Bart and co. knew to be there, maybe I missed something.) We never got to really see Krusty interacting with Bart and the beta losers, how Krusty fares as a teacher (apparently experiencing some positive feelings toward kids for once), or what Krusty and Bart do for each other in this unique situation. The callback to “The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star”—another story about Bart finding purpose at a different school—just made me remember how that episode had a convincing angle in the way Bart’s new principal, Father Sean, reached him where he was. In this episode, there’s no real rapport between Bart and the “principal we actually like,” Krusty—I get that the show is banking on years of interaction, but this is a Krusty and Bart episode, and it’s one where they have every reason to interact. Sell it!

It’s good the emotional arc itself felt focused, because there were a couple of moments in the first two-thirds when I thought the actual plot was kicking in and it wasn’t. Lisa red herring aside, Ranier Wolfcastle’s son should have been a promising addition to the scenario, but turned out to be just an excuse to jam Ranier Wolfcastle in there for a minute. (Maybe they’re teeing him up for a shot next season? He plays saxophone, if he dates Lisa we’re two for two on Simpson-Wolfcastle kid romances. Eh, I got nothing.)

Discussion of “Yakkety Sax” between Lisa and her parents had a classic era absurdism that I really loved. Liked the animation of Bart’s clown antics in the kitchen and his lawyering re: unicycles indoors (it’s never come up). Saw the “timing” punchline coming from two act breaks away. 3/5 for konvincing Krusty konscience (that’s not good!) and potshots at the Ivy League.

Last edited:
3/5 - the whole Fat Tony thing felt a bit rushed.

Considering how many math types have been involved with this show, I was surprised at the "simplistic" answer to the parabola question: the equation of a parabola is actually y = a (x - b)² + c.

How long has Krusty had that elephant? Ringling Brothers & Barnum & Bailey Circus got rid of its elephants in 2016.

@Brad Lascelle is basically right. Everything is going great so let's have the mob fuck it up. This idea of the Italians as all mobbed up is getting old. The writers couldn't think of something else? I guess all i can add at least it wasn't Mr. Burns, Krrusty being greedy or Lisa being the savior to save all.

Positives:

Homer telling Lisa to play the sax. Well he is kinda right since that kid was playing the alto not the bari.

Bart taking the piss out of Lisa on how she's a kill joy, who enjoys it and doesn't feel guilty about it. Makes to a better score.

2/5

As always I might change my score but I wouldn't hold my breath. Well except that one person on here. You can hold your breath. You know who you are. Other than that IDGAF.

so i watched the clown board episode

first of all i gotta say Dan Castellaneta still has the energy in 'em, even tho his voices are a bit off (but that would happen if you voice acted the same character for 30+ years)

i liked the little bit of lisa and bart chemistry in this episode, and the hug was great, and bart calling out lisa for being a killjoy was funny

i also noticed the simpsons have been using the ''WHY YOU LITTLE!'' quote in more wholesome ways, and i think i prefer it this way over homer strangling his child (tbh i think it would be worrying if i did find the old way better xD)

this episode like a couple episodes before it, portrays krusty as a wholesome misunderstood clown, and i dont mind it really. is it just me or has bart never been this interested in krusty since like the 90's I've missed his krusty the clown obsession

and i dont think there's much to say other than that, not alot of stuff happens in that episode, it's a very simple and entertaining story

3/5

So, before I watched the new episode, I decided to watch "Homie the Clown" as I've seen a few people compare the episode to the recent one, namely ThrashtheTrash's review. Rewatching the Season 6 episode, and despite the 8/10 I gave it, it is a hilarious episode. The main reason it is a 8/10 for me mainly comes down to my opinion on clowns, and it does slow down for me a bit during the middle portion when Homer takes advantage of people thinking he's Krusty.

When it comes to Krusty episodes in general, the main reason they usually low ratings is due to my opinion on clowns. Of course, there are exceptions like "Insane Clown Poppy", "Like Father, Like Clown" & "Krusty Gets Busted".

Now to the episode itself, its kinda boring, I give it a 4/10 - Dislike, mainly for the clown stuff, and some inconsistencies with this episode such as this episode seemingly forgetting Ms. Peyton exists & a few others. Also, unlike "Homie the Clown", the Springfield Mafia feel like they come out of nowhere (although I do love the prominence of the mafia in this season). Also,, the kids coming & saving Krusty comes out of nowhere, there is nothing at all that happens before it, so how & why are they there? Really feels like a deux ex machina if anything. Bart is basically absent from during the 2nd act up until the end of the 3rd act. Also, surprised they used new designs for the background kids that helped Bart, Nelson, Ralph & Milhouse save Krusty, where they could of used other characters that are seen at the school like Sherri, Terri, Janey, Lewis, Allison or Wendell.

Finally, some interesting stuff I noticed regarding the episode:
- Seeing Sherri & Terri on TikTok followed by Shauna was weird, especially as someone who despises TikTok.
- Krusty's eye bleeding isn't something I'm a fan of
- Nice to see Chalmers doing his job without been with Skinner, think its the first time we've seen him with Quimby
- Watching this episode right after "Homie the Clown", the voices feel noticeably different, as I noticed it with Krusty, Homer & Bart in this episode, not just Marge.
- Marge & Homer afraid of Bart going to catholic school, reminds me of "The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star".
- The Milhouse joke in always doing what Bart is doing did make me chuckle a little
- Greta has a half-brother/stepbrother, who I noticed people comparing to Gavin from "Marge Be Not Proud" on Twitter, which I can see.
- Seeing Krusty put up a photo of his father felt wholesome, although I'm pretty sure Hyman has said good things to Krusty before
- Bart telling Lisa she is a spoil sport was funny, and I think its the 2nd time its been pointed out to her this Season, the first been from Janey, Sherri & Terri in "Step Brother from the Same Planet".
- Homer saying
- How & why has Homer & Marge forgotten about Lisa playing the sax
- Surprised Sophie Krustofsky doesn't appear in this episode, given how much she has been used as a background character & given its a Krusty episode where he has a school for clown college, unless Sophie doesn't want to be a clown.
- Also, I've seen people complain about Lou's voice, but I'm okay with it.

Regarding Wolfcastle, I feel like he's the Robert De Niro of Springfield (given he's recently had a kid despite his age, and from looking at Wikipedia, he has had several marriages & kids through his live). We already know about Greta, and then there's the baby he's seen with in "I'm a Girl Who Just Can't Say D'oh", and now there's this new kid.

Not much else to say really, I was going into this episode not expecting to enjoy it, and I was right. Given it is an Al Jean showrun episode, I'm also not surprised that the episode feels aimless. While I have stated in the past I don't really notice much difference when it comes to showrunners....this Season has me noticing it a lot.

Also, looking at Wikisimpsons and remember how the synopsis says that Sideshow Mel would be teacching a class of sidekicks
...WHERE IS THAT? Like, Sideshow Mel only appears in the first act, then disappears...honestly does make me wander if I should rank the episode lower, but alais, I'll keep it a 4/10 (2/5 on the poll above).

Edit: Decided to change my 2/5 to a 3/5 on the poll

Last edited:
Also, looking at Wikisimpsons and remember how the synopsis says that Sideshow Mel would be teacching a class of sidekicks
...WHERE IS THAT? Like, Sideshow Mel only appears in the first act, then disappears
I bet his scenes were probably cut. It’s a shame, I would’ve loved to see what he was up to in this episode

There were a lot of fun things that could've been explored with this Clown V. Board of Education's concept - borrowed as it may have been from Homie the Clown - had they bothered to reference developments from other episodes instead of merely pretending they didn't exist or happened in a void.

Lisa's sourness at the whole clowning school concept could've been turned on its head had she been invited to teach a class as a former clown herself. She'd have probably found more value in that as opposed to wasting away unchallenged in Hoover's class.

Peyton could've returned from vacation only to find her class emptied of all but 3 students... perhaps one of the twins, Sophie and Wendell... and wondered what the hell happened while she was away. They could've kicked off a running gag of Sophie not having any interest in being a clown like her Dad.

Skinner could've been the one to call the mob in to sabotage Krusty's school seeing how he had lost a good chunk of his student body to it and then got humiliated at the makeshift trivia bowl. Would've been a fun juxtaposition to Tony's very first appearance where he took out Skinner on behalf of Bart only to now be called in to take out Bart's favoured school on behalf of Skinner.

Homie the Clown was, of course, not even acknowledged... which came off doubly odd when Homer was the one leading Bart's recruitment sales pitch to attend. I loved catchphraseloop's suggestion that Bart should've been accepted as a legacy.

And it would've been fun to see Mel and Teeny utilized to teach some classes.

Incidentally, I made a point of rewatching Pin Gal prior to this one just to have the latest Westbrook-Jean effort fresh in my mind and it struck me watching these two back-to-back that they were effectively bookended with overlong gags about nachos that otherwise had nothing to do with either story. That was definitely a weird little oddity.

Homie the Clown was, of course, not even acknowledged... which came off doubly odd when Homer was the one leading Bart's recruitment sales pitch to attend. I loved catchphraseloop's suggestion that Bart should've been accepted as a legacy.
speaking of catchphraseloops

in their thread ''catchrphraseloop's doodles'' they drew a very cool idea for how ''homie the clown'' could've been referenced, by having bart repeat homer's line from that episode ''you people have stood in my way long enough....'' and homer responding that he feels like he's heard it before

Some of these ideas sound good... it really was playing things safe again. Speaking of, Nelson mighta been a good one for someone left behind. It's weird that between the very hungry caterpillars and this Nelson can afford a smartphone and to go to a for-profit school. Mrs Muntz must be raking in the big bucks. Though that probably was just because he, Milhouse and Ralph were just the most obvious choices. Woulda been kinda cool to see Wendell show a talent for clowning. He'd be a natural at grossout humour.

Who else thought they were actually going to follow through having Superintendent Chalmers teaching the mime class? I really enjoyed his two seconds, guy has been stealing some random scenes lately (he was maybe the only character who was funny to me in “Hostile Kirk Place”).

i also noticed the simpsons have been using the ''WHY YOU LITTLE!'' quote in more wholesome ways, and i think i prefer it this way over homer strangling his child (tbh i think it would be worrying if i did find the old way better xD)
This one reminded me of “The Winter of our Monetized Content” where Homer goes “Why you HILARIOUS—!!!” and he’s still frothingly mad, but he admits Bart is funny, which is always such a fun part of their dynamic, that Homer resents Bart’s heckling while completely sharing his juvenile sense of humor. MAN I wish there’d been a “Homie the Clown” callback in this episode.

I loved catchphraseloop's suggestion that Bart should've been accepted as a legacy.
speaking of catchphraseloops

in their thread ''catchrphraseloop's doodles'' they drew a very cool idea for how ''homie the clown'' could've been referenced, by having bart repeat homer's line from that episode ''you people have stood in my way long enough....'' and homer responding that he feels like he's heard it before
582AFB69-7B12-4132-959C-67502ACFC3D0.gif
:aww:

Who’d you think they gave ‘em to?
It's not so much "who," but "when."

Also, and I may have mentioned this in another thread already, I missed a callback; Ralph with the slide whistle up his nose is almost certainly a callback to having a flute up his nose in 'Round Springfield. "That's some nice slide whistlin', boy."

I came home last night feeling bloated from overeating. I jumped on the forums to see some initial reactions. Needless to say the negative reactions and the synopsis really didn't help the episode. I watched a few minutes and decided to stop watching and resume when I felt better, in hopes of giving this a fairer chance.

Later that night after watching Barry I started watching the episode again. It's impossible not to compare this to "Homie the clown", It's a bit disappointing that they couldn't pick back up after that episode but the mob had already taken over so it's hard to blame them for not writing a story around it.

The premise is good, I thought the diner scene was entertaining but the end of that scene, where krusty is walking out, was just a waste of screen time, which seems to be a major part of this episode's downfall. More of that later.

This is yet another episode where Bart basically turns into Lisa's mirror only because he's entertained by the subject matter. I hear he's a great drummer too, where's that drum again? I didn't hate how Lisa was characterised in this episode but it was very surface level, which shows the episode didn't want to commit to being a PSA about public vs private education. There was a scene about this in the beginning but this wouldn't fit the narrative, this was a Krusty episode after all. He had to succeed... for his dead father's approval? They tried to hit so many notes that it ended up sounding like a cacophony.

I didn't have a huge problem with the mob being involved. It came out of nowhere and like many have mentioned, the fact that they were part of the genesis of the plot in "Homie the clown" doesn't help this episode in the slightest.

I don't know if better editing or directing could have fixed the script, it feels heavy on gags and light on plot. It does seem to me that this episode suffered from editing and directing, even if I think Westbrook's humor is mostly misses for me I did chuckle a few times.

2/5

Last edited:
Wow bubble blabber hated this. It wasn't great but it was pleasant enough. I liked seeing Bart happy and Homer supporting him though they missed several callback opportunities. Maybe it's a 3/5 feels better than just a 2.

"Timing" final joke was clever. I IIked it

Now backwards. It was more than just "Homie the Clown" rehash… it was "Homie the Clown" and "Mathleths' Feat" weird mash up, but with the mob and even "Clown in the Dumps" vibe.

As I waited some of clown gags worked.
In the first part there was no strong story - just puns/gags on clowning. Not bad actually - meta joke "need my audience from 90s", "what the year? 2000 and WHAT?!", dated and aged clowns Bart to Lisa "you do" string etc.

The 2nd part had stronger story part instead - impact on education system (a year ago Bart sang "it's also terrible") and Kruty's defence of "help the kids" from outside, but the good jokes were lost. I liked only threatening of Lunch Lady Dora - "eat it!":lol:

I liked they again understood the potential of mob, instead of just being frequent cameos. Even if mafia's introduction was brutal a bit, but here they are! Joe Mantegna was good here.

I hadn't understood first, but I got the Hayman Krustovsky (lazy to check the correct surname) portrait arc. Would be really touched if not the last "naches" joke (I believe it needed just to fill those 30-minutes while cut Sideshow Mel scene:rolleyes:)

Comparing to Pin Gal (the last, recent Jean-Westbrook effort), here much of jokes just didn't work and seen as dull. However, taking the story I awaited much worse (ok, not "much" worse). 2,5/5. Tentative. After researching the random moment from episode (that was touched "and you didn't see it" talking), I rise it up for the poll.

Whatever the showrunner, it's always hard not to be skeptical of a Krusty episode, unless it's backed by the supporting cast, or the writers bother to give it some depth or reason to empathize with it, especially since Krusty is rarely a character with whom we can feel anything (unlike other competitors, we rarely get to see the human side behind the makeup of the past) and sometimes they portray him in an unpleasant way (I don't know about you, but I never liked him the joke of him putting down Bart as his biggest fan). So when I first heard the premise of this episode I couldn't help but be skeptical, they rarely put Krusty in a positive light and the HD era certainly has a pretty bad track record with the episode, add the fact that the premise sounded / sounds overheated and I couldn't help but feel uneasy about this one. So after a lot of uncertainty, we've finally come to this episode - so the question is, were my fears for this one correct, or were they finally allayed and a pleasant surprise? Well, that's where we're going:

-

The main problem with this episode, stems from its roots of tonal indecisiveness, as far as plot points are concerned, the biggest expository example of this is the Krusty arc: as the elders' opening gag into the audience. of Krusty, is introduced in the episode with the intention of portraying him as an archaic element of the present day show, as if the intention was to build a meta gag that underscores the obviousness of Krusty's role in the present day - the episode plays with the idea of Krusty as a clown who reflects on his loss of contact with his audience in the 90s, on how desperately he would turn his career with the sole objective of regaining its relevance, competing especially in an age where children no longer watch television and what have been replaced by TikTok or other forms of entertainment.

However, the episode at the same time tries to aim for an examination of the character, the parts of Krusty and his father being a case in point. Look, I appreciate the show's focus on developing a more human side to Krusty, unfortunately, it comes at the cost of stepping on his proverbial toes both tonally and thematically: the plot thread with Krusty trying to be an educator in order to "make" his father as an unorthodox element, but as a vestige of the past of great emotional importance to him, using him as the main nucleus of his motivations, appears more as something abrupt and disconcerting than as something cohesive within the narrative that is presented.

-

Okay, let's talk a little bit about Fat Tony. Yeah, it shouldn't surprise you, but like others have already said, I don't like how confident the writers are about his character. This is something I've noticed since 'The Fat Blue Line' but, I don't like the trend that whenever Tony and his henchmen take center stage, they always have to be accompanied by the same stale jokes, the same stereotypical characterizations and the same parodies spent on the mafia. Listen, I'm not against Tony getting more screen time, but you can't always come to make it as one-dimensional as possible, especially if he's the source of the main conflict.

You know what the classic era got right, when it came to involving the mob? His presence as a threat. I know the comparisons are hateful, but let's take Bart the murderer' as an example of it. In that episode, we get the perfect portrayal of Tony: sinister and menacing, just like a gang leader should be, pointing a gun at a child, paying intimidating visits to anyone who gets in his way... But he's also got all the characteristics that make him a likeable person and easy to empathize with, he drinks alcoholic beverages and plays poker. He had an idiosyncrasy and quirkiness that made him a great character, even with the baggage of being nothing more than a liaison for mob references and satire. He was a man with manners who would laugh at an episode of Itchy & Scratchy, but he was also a man who could talk you down and get through to you easily (justifying his criminal acts with Bart by using orphaned children). One of my favorite scenes of him comes from the same episode and it's the part where he tries to play innocent with the police ("what's a truck?") when they come looking for him for his crimes.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't like how nowadays the mob always seems to be confirmed by only three or four guys. Something that I almost forgot to mention about it, but something that 'Bart the murderer' did well too, is the amount of background characters they used to represent the mob. This might sound like a minor thing, but this made them look more... Real? But not only that, but it also contributed to consolidate them as a real threat.

-

Okay, time to talk about one of the cornerstones of this one, more specifically, Bart: who is ultimately the connecting glue of the episode, only unlike last week, he's what the episode ends up undermining. Okay, okay, I'm getting ahead of myself, so it's time for a couple of thoughts on that.

Throughout the series, there has been an underlying theme, which highlights the idea that Bart succeeds and prospers - when he focuses and engages with the theme, just to mention a few examples: 'Wacking Day', 'The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson' 'The Father, Son, and the Holy Guest Star' (shit, we even got him in a THOH segment with 'School in Hell) and now this episode. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but as far as Bart goes, the academic model at Springfield Elementary is partly the reason Bart isn't making progress. From a narrative point of view, it is interesting to note the evolution of this premise, at the beginning of the series, we are presented as Bart simply does not care, then it is the lack of funds in the school that causes this, then it is the work environment and the teachers who work (let's just take Hoover's apathy and disinterest as an example) the causes of this. So it's funny that in this episode, we go back to the lack of funds as the cause of this. This is a very interesting and broad topic to explore, because it is (in part) all of these causes that affect the child's learning and even more if it is one that has attention difficulties (the same element that has stuck since Bart the Genius and they would bring back in Bart Gets An 'F').

Look, I appreciate Bart's arc in isolation, the problem is that it's not juxtaposed in the current reality of the series. This episode has a very strange quality to it, in the way that he was reminded of old characterizations, Bart excited and competent in school, he feels undermined once you remember that this is Mrs. Peyton's purpose (seriously, where the hell was she? ?) or Homer and Marge realizing that Lisa plays the saxophone, when we are in the time of them being better parents. Listen, there are some elements put into Bart's arc here that I like, seeing the clown career as his only hope also reminds me of the way that was hinted at during the song in 'Poorhouse Rock' ("we're just bozos"), or the way in which that is what gives him hope of having a future where he is not a failure.

-

... *sigh*

Do you know what I appreciated most about 'The Very Hungry Caterpillars' last week? His focus and commitment to his characters. Don't goad me with a Bart-Krusty story if you're not going to do anything with it. The episode is unable to keep the focus on either of those two, the first act is a Krusty story, the second act has Bart taking over and when it finally looks like we're going to get somewhere, the third act just gets there. take a weird and horrible turn in left field, completely writing off and undermining the episode. Why should I give a shit about the ending with Bart saving Krusty from the mob (how did he even know where they were)? Why should I care to see Bart find purpose in school, if he's ultimately going to be forgotten in the second act? Why should I feel for Krusty and his new status thanks to school? Why the hell did they insert Bart's speech at the end towards Krusty, shit we didn't even have them interacting in this story until the fucking end.

I don't like to compare, just to compare. But the classic-era iteration would have taken advantage of this episode to focus more on Bart and Krusty, in order to make their moments carry much more weight and the arcs complement each other, reclaiming their full effectiveness. There's none of that here, no reason to even get involved or care about the emotional moments of this episode, because Jean is incapable of maintaining focus without bombarding her with a joke every three seconds. In a more competent source, the episode would have used both stories (both Bart's and Krusty's) as parallel mirrors. Would we have seen more interactions between the two of them and the rest of them, which would have better validated the ending and the conclusion: why should I even give a damn about the other kids saving Krusty? What the hell am I supposed to feel like the part with all of them (and Bart) mentioning that Krusty is "the main one we really like"? Nothing the episode justifies the conclusion, much less moments like these. We don't even have enough of Krusty's teaching material, because we're supposed to invest in Marge thanking Krusty for his educational experiment. It all reads empty and manipulative, they really expect us to get emotionally invested, yet there's so little they offer us to even care about. Damn in all hell, even the conflict wasn't coming from the characters in question, but they had to artificially involve the mob - in order to try and create stakes, a crude and vile attempt to build unearned tension.

-

No, okay, I already touched on Fat Tony and his role in the conflict, but you know what pisses me off the most? Well, apart from the stale, worn-out characterizations of the mob. It's in the way that they're used as an artificial way to create conflict, because of course, it had to be so hard for Jean and company to make the conflict come from Bart and Krusty, just a way to create tension and make it look like we have stakes. Why even bother? As if I don't... care, Bart succeeded in a new school and Krusty managed to build a reputation for himself, even bonding for the first time with the kids, so only the mob gets to screw him over? You can't get more fucking lazy than that, you really can't. I haven't even gone into the comparisons to 'Homie the Clown' when it comes to involving the mob in the main conflict, but I'll just say that I agree with @/ThrashtheTrash that the difference is that they're set up as a threat from the start - whereas here there is no omen, there is no arc, there is nothing at all in this pile of shit. It's not even going into the massive amount of details that were removed/forgotten, or things that don't make a damn sense: then Krusty opens the clown school, because the kids don't pay attention to him anymore... But at the same time, have no difficulties finding students, am I stupid or does this not make any sense? A whole damn first draft here.

-

OK, I'm going too far (once again, I apologize and I don't blame you if you stop reading), so time for final thoughts. One of the biggest problems I have with the showrunning of Jean, is in the immense string of situations that never amount to anything, the episode has a tonal indecision in terms of its narrative, which tries to insert as many plot threads as it can in its time. of execution than this detail, which makes the main arc nebulously defined.

So the episode has an idea like "Krusty starts a clown school" or "Bart becomes successful in school." Just wander around it, and insert as many plot twists as possible, the inclusion of Fat Tony being a perfect example of that, but we've got other things too. Lisa's bitterness about the existence of the clown school (something that doesn't even make sense, since she already got to taste the honey of it in 'All About Lisa'), Skinner losing to the clown school and being humiliated in the trivia. The ideas feel incomplete and the point seems to keep changing all the time, I think the Krusty and Bart arcs make sense as far as it goes btw. He spends a lot of time carefully explaining the beats and plot points, the ramifications of the satire, which ends up missing the point by letting character arcs get pushed into the dust one after the other, until it feels like it doesn't nothing would have happened and it was nothing.

1/5.

Last edited:
This started out mediocre but it did lead into some potential to have a clown school actually compete with regular schools, but then for some reason they decide to use Fat Tony and his mob again which at this point becomes very predictable of whats going to happen. The concept of doing a clown school isn't anything new either but they could have gone through a more interesting route with this. Kind of a missed opportunity where they could have had Bart challenge Lisa to become the better student at his new school.

The first act has a whole lot of random gags but I did like the dry play of Krusty and Mel at the start and the clowns conversation at the diner. Really liked the gag with Chalmers impressing Krusty to sarcastically play a mime. I don't buy why Homer and Marge would be so much against Bart going to a Christian school instead, they didn't explicit why it would be a bad thing. Wolfcastle apparently has a son too. Bart attending Krusty's school were fine, felt like Marge overreacted a bit with Krusty for almost giving up on Bart.

Fat Tony and his mob get involved and it goes downhill from here. I won't deny that it has some funny gags (selling red crayons like drugs, intimidating Doris to eat her own mashed potato) but the usual occurs where Krusty ends up regretting to have the mob involved and finds a way out. His students end up saving him and the ending is rather lackluster.

This episode was good for some laughs and to see more of Krusty doing business and a bit of Bart finding out a fun way to learn things. It was lacking on its pacing and consistency. There was potential to make this episode a whole lot better but it felt like they cheapened out near the end. It was still an enjoyable watch that gets a 2.5/5 from me, but its not good enough to be rounded up.

2/5

I admire the patience of some folks around here who wrote a lengthy analysis of such an empty episode. I don't have much to add ; it's been a while since I've seen an episode shooting itself in the foot this hard. All these ideas and not a single one goes anywhere. It's like jingling keys constantly. Krusty's show is out of touch ? OK then Bart going to clown school ? OK then clown school in competition against Elementary School ? OK then Bart making his parents proud ? OK then the mob taking over ? OK then- well, you get the gist of it. This is just throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks (spoiler : nothing). But there sure is enough room for one-dimensional jokes ! How about miserable Krusty ? The mob doing mob stuff seemingly according to "the mob for dummies" ? Lisa being a killjoy ?

Look, I'm not gonna act like this season has been perfect, but even in many of the lowest entries, I could see some effort. This one feels like a bad season 20 episode. So not just bad, not just bland, but numb in each and every area. I mean, the mob makes an episode less exciting than initially, where did it go wrong ? Maybe the ending was on to something though : at the end of the day, nothing matters, just burn it all down and let's go eat nachos.

It almost single-handedly killed my excitement for the season finale. I'd only "recommend" this one to people with extremely short attention span. 1.5/5 rounded down.

Last edited:
Back