Rate and Review: "Holidays of Future Passed" (NABF18)

How would you rate: "Holidays of Future Passed?"

• Total voters
I actually think this track record is pretty good right now. It's a little rusty, but I'm going to give it time. I wouldn't call it full-blown Zombie Simpsons right now, because when a recent season has 2 4/5's from me in not even the first half, that's a pretty good sign.

I'm just a "glass half empty" kinda guy. ;)
You're right, we're not even half way through yet... but by your own standards, this season barely receives a passing grade. Four out of nine episodes so far have not met with your approval.

You gave "The Book Job" a 4/5? Different strokes for different folks.... :chin:

3.5, leaning heavily towards 4.

As "future episodes" go, this wasn't bad (at least compared to "Future-Drama") and for once the characterizations were on point. They also relaxed on the space-age gags and actually had a focused, family-driven story for once, so points there as well. It's nowhere near "Lisa's Wedding", but these days you take what you can get from this show and judge on a sliding scale.

I will do a critic tomorrow but now I can say that I gave a 4,5/5 or 5/5 to this great episode !

I really like it and the end looks like futurama ^^

Oh that's Raspberry : I also see Sideshow Bob on the floor of the bar of Moe !

5/5
A big improvement from the past two episodes. I've always enjoyed the futuristic episodes and this one was no different. GREAT way to finish midseason. The writers have a lot of work to top this episode. It felt like I was watching a David Mirkin era episode. A+

Pretty good, but not better than Lisa's Wedding.

Two things I disliked.

1/That they almost showed this future like 'canon' with the picture montage (hated Lisa experimenting with girls too). In a way, it's a simple introduction and less contrived than the other flash-flowards, but I don't really want to take any of this future episodes as canon, just different options.

2/The futuristic gags. I didn't liked them in Future-drama and still wasn't a fan of them here. I especially disliked the talking tree.

However this second point needs an explanation. I think SOME of the future jokes worked to some extent, especially those that were some kind of exaggeration of current things, like Lisa's daughter connecting herself to the internet (mails through brain were a little too much, though) or Grandpa being cryogenized instead of dead (cause that would have been more depressing, it's a good misleading joke with the tombstone and who knows, there's still a small chance that this could work someday). The airplane gags were also good.

I quite liked Bart's sons and their relationship with Bart and Homer, enjoyed Maggie's subplot and Lisa's was ok, though Milhouse wasn't very well used (actuallly not used at all) and for Lisa actually marrying Milhouse I think he should have evolved in better ways but he was still ugly and a loser, and Lisa would probably have better options.

Would have been an ok final episode but not perfect. However I really did like Homer forgiving Grandpa and helping Bart with his children. He really made up for all his lousy parenting after all these years.

4/5

Last edited:
Eventually it turns into future Bart and future Lisa having prolems with their bratty children, a blatant waste but inevitable time on everyone from Springfield in the future. The conclusion ended with what? Bart's kids telling him they love him and Lisa's daughter telling her she loves her, SHOCKA!!! and then the 2 pets taking a final photo to end the episode...

Sometimes the simplest paths have the most interesting scenery...

I mean it was interesting to watch and all but the only reason it was interesting to watch is because it's The Simpsons in the future...
Well maybe it's just me but I watched it because it was a Christmas special..

I especially disliked the talking tree.
Oh, and this. The tree feels the need to tell a story that happened like five years ago just so the audience knows. Hate these.

And damn, 53 people are browsing this thread currently.

Not in this case my friend.

I mean someone above said this episode had the feel of "a David Mirkin era episode", really? It's definitely a pass and at most I could understand someone giving it a 4/5 or 8/10 but not 9/10, 10/10 worthy at all.

Well maybe it's just me but I watched it because it was a Christmas special...

You watch it because it's a Simpsons episode. I'm just saying that the only reason the episode appeared interesting or has deluded people into thinking it has an interesting plot is because it's set in the future and all the Simpsons characters right across Springfield are 20 years older.

This was a good episode. I thought it was a very funny episode, one of the funniest of the season. The plot seemed a bit...shallow in places, and some of the jokes went on too long or were unnecessarily explained, but overall, a very strong outing that I'd be happy to watch again. 4/5.

EDIT: Even the chalkboard gag made me laugh! That hasn't happened in...years.

I would rank the future episodes like this:

1: Holidays of Future Passed

2: Lisa's Wedding

3: Bart to the Future

4: Future-Drama

Last edited:
Holidays of Future Passed - 5/5
Lisa's Wedding - 5/5
Future-Drama - 4.5/5
Bart to the Future - haven't watched recently, but 2-2.5/5 from memory

Last edited:
Judging from the reviews on here, this is probably the most well received episode since Eternal Moonshine.

This episode can't possibly be better than "Lisa's wedding". You can't convince me.

This episode can't possibly be better than "Lisa's wedding". You can't convince me.

Don't worry mate, they're just naturally over hyping the episode because it was an actual zombie Simpsons episode that wasn't awful/mediocre. I guarantee in a couple of years time, people will realise it's only a 7/10 at best.

"Lisa's Wedding" is superior in every single way.

I loved this episode and I'm so happy to see it getting such great reviews! The future storytelling was handled very well in all of the three stories, I loved the clever future gags, as well as the heartwarming ending. 5/5! The only future episode I liked before this one was Lisa's wedding but I think this episode has topped that one!

Lisa's Wedding had a better ending, but overall it wasn't as funny. I guess when you're going to go all-out zany with these wacktastical futures, LW didn't carry the theme far enough.

Don't worry mate, they're just naturally over hyping the episode because it was an actual zombie Simpsons episode that wasn't awful/mediocre. I guarantee in a couple of years time, people will realise it's only a 7/10 at best.

Trust me, I don't fall into that focus group.

Yeah, I don't blame you for being skeptical... and there are certainly a fair share of people who aren't digging this new episode, including on IMDb and other forums. I don't think it's quite as good as Lisa's Wedding, but certain elements are better executed in Holidays of Future Passed, particularly the believability of the future. The emotional aspect is certainly better in Lisa's Wedding, it's more forced and sappy in the new episode.

I'd rank 'em like this:

1. Lisa's Wedding — 5/5
2. Holidays of Future Passed — 4.5/5
3. Future-Drama — 2.5/5
4. Bart to the Future — 2/5

Lisa's Wedding had a better ending, but overall it wasn't as funny.

Were they as smart? As satirical? Do they have all the aspects of classic-era quality? I'm sure this is a good episode, but it should be deep as well as funny to beat a classic from season 6.

Were they as smart? As satirical? Do they have all the aspects of classic-era quality? I'm sure this is a good episode, but it should be deep as well as funny to beat a classic from season 6.

I'm not saying this episode is better than the best of the classic era, I'm saying it's better than Lisa's Wedding because it was just plain funnier without being deep or insightful. Also, Lisa's Wedding isn't very high on my all-time favorite episode list when compared to other CE episodes (it's about #150).

Did anyone see that V for Vendetta/Anonymous reference in one of the photos? (at least I believe it was, Bart wearing Guy Fawkes mask)

Can anyone identify the list of Lisa's potential friends from Springfield Elementary and Traveling Simpsons? I could only get a few.

Here 'ya go!
SpringfieldElementaryUSE.jpg

/
simpsonsgoto.jpg

Notice Edna's one of Lisa's friend requests... but Homer accidentally killed her?

Watching it again now, pretty hilarious spot-on joke about the hologram on the Capitol lawn, with a Christmas tree that rotated to a menorah, a Hindu god, and then a "X" sign for people with no holiday. And how Apu thinks his brother is reincarnated as a cow. :lol:

Back