Beavis & Butt-Head general discussion

beavis' delivery of "I'll be damned" is why i love the character so much

some of his best moments were when he'd be imitating some kind of authority figure, and give a life lecture to some guy in a suit he just met and wanted to push around

some of his best moments were when he'd be imitating some kind of authority figure, and give a life lecture to some guy in a suit he just met and wanted to push around

YES! "Citizen's Arrest" is perhaps my favorite episode for this exact reason.

these two scenes:

So, with no other TV shows or movies to work on, Judge gets bored and dusts off an old chestnut.

Beavis & Butt-head is a product of the 90's, and really should stay there. They could just air repeats and save a few dollars. (We're still tightening our belts in this economy, right?) All I see is yet another show about to be ruined or diluted from a pointless revival.

YES!

This is the best news I've heard in years! I barely come to this forum any more, glad I checked in this morning!

I can't wait. B&B was still firing on all cylinders, getting better and better when Judge quit working on it.

B&B was definitely a product of the 90s - but it is TIMELESS! It works on many different levels. From underlying social commentary, to butt jokes. Every guy has a little bit of B&B in them.

I think Judge can still do a great job with it.

Obviously most shows that come back after their initial run tend to suck (I really think Futurama has been terrible since the original 4 seasons)..But I don't think Judge has fallen off. He has a great sense of humor that any guy can relate to, and he was at his best with the B&B series. KOTH was more a product of Greg Daniels (especially after the first season), Judge hardly had any involvement with The Good Family (pretty crappy cartoon on ABC last summer).

My biggest worry may be that it's supposed to be on MTV.. MTV has changed so dramatically in the last 15 years, I really can't imagine a show like this on MTV. MTV is drama for 10-16 y/o woman. I don't see this show fitting in there. But I don't think Judge will comprimise the show for MTV executives. He'll put it out his own way and it'll work on that channel, or it won't. I would imagine it could change networks easily enough.

Last I heard Judge was considering doing a live-action B&B. I think he could make it work, but my dream has always been for the animated shorts to come back.

THIS NEWS HAS JUST MADE MY FREAKING DAY!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO

Last edited:
I worry about it being on MTV as well. I was reading the descriptions of episodes last week and for like 80% of it I was thinking, "there's no way they'd allow this stuff today." So much of it was edited or banned as it was back then.

i'm curious how they will handle the music videos. today's videos no longer air on tv and are about as dull as you can get

Yea, I mean - Do they even make music videos hardly anymore? It seemed like back in the 80s-mid 90s muisc videos were huge and pretty much any band put out at least 1 video per album. Now I really can't imagine there being that much out there other than some of the major mainstream stuff.

Of course they could still view/review old videos. They did videos from the 80s all the time on the original B&B show.

The show would probably be a great fit for VH1 Classic. They seem to be about the only music channel that actually focuses on music. Wouldn't be a huge audience though, but would be a huge boost for VH1 Classic if it worked out.

I worry about it being on MTV as well. I was reading the descriptions of episodes last week and for like 80% of it I was thinking, "there's no way they'd allow this stuff today." So much of it was edited or banned as it was back then.
what?

besides b&bh being pretty tame, mtv aired wonder showzen.

Last edited:
MTV sometimes airs South Park too. Though, I'm not certain whether they only air the syndicated (and therefore toned down) versions.

I'm not really sure I see this working. Beavis and Butthead is still funny now, but when I've watched it I definitely go into it with the knowledge that it's a 90s show and appreciate it for what it is. It's definitely more firmly rooted in the 90s than its contemporaries from that time (The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy, South Park, etc)...I mean the show and characters just ooze that decade. I feel like it'll be too much like reading the Sunday comics and seeing characters from the 30s talk about cell phones and reality shows. It just doesn't work.

That said, if Judge can think of some nasty things to have them say about Lady Gaga, it should be worth checking out.

i still know a guy (now in his '20s) who's exactly the type b&b were ripping on

texas metalhead goobers still exist -- more than ever, if possible

quit fretting, mike judge is many things but a sellout hack has never been one of those

edit: my dude tears apart lady gaga, too; everything's still relevant

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3tEwECxDVU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3tEwECxDVU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

hard to imagine beavis and butthead owning/using a computer

but throw in 4chan and it works

I feel like, if anything, episodes would have less battles with censorship today than they used to. Reality shows, adult animation and whatnot have really widened the line that can be crossed. Who knows, maybe working on King of the Hill for over a decade toned Mike Judge down a little, too.

I've seen several people mention that Beavis and Butthead are rooted in the 90's, and the show's messages wouldn't work today. Just out of curiosity, what does this mean? Have attitudes of teenagers changed or what?

All of the B&B episodes I've seen have sucked.

I think it'll fail because it's on the nobody-watches-anymore MTV. If the revival was put on Comedy Central, it would probably do good.

Why does Viacom want to build SEVERAL animation blocks? I never understood why they tried to start one on Spike TV and killed Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon.

God it really annoys me that the only other person alive who also likes the Ren and Stimpy adult cartoon is that guy. sigh.

just watched disc 1 of volume 1 earlier today. Interesting sidenote: in The Final Judgement of Beavis one of the dates in St Peter's book is December 30, 1981...the exact day of my birth

Yeah, I rented Volume 1 from the video store from Sunday to Friday. Unfortunately, discs were scratched to the point that I could not watch a few shorts nor finish the great documentary on disc 3. Considering I hadn't watched the show since I was 2, it has suddenly become a brand new favorite. I had a quote stuck in my head so badly today that I had to make it my new signature (below). I'm sure it's just a phase, but it makes me all the more excited for the new episodes.

In all honesty, I must say Mike Judge doesn't deserve criticism for his choice to release "Best of's" instead of season sets. Beavis and Butt-head seems to have the absolute worst early episodes of any series I have followed thus far. Even the late season two shows on Volume 1 hover between bland and good. I think once Butt-head's voice got right, it really put the heart into the show. He goes from being an unlikeable punk to a lovable doofus.

Last edited:
Only got the first set of best of's, but love it to pieces, still need to get off my lazy behindus and grab the whole set. I think it could work, I'm an optimist, but I was really optimistic about Mike Judge's last film and last TV show, and, well, I barely remember them.

I agree that many of the early episodes could be pretty stupid. The show definitely matured and got much much better towards the end. The show was as good as ever when it ended.

I imagine Judge picked mostly episodes he worked on. Episodes where he maybe didn't come up with/or like the concept as much, he would rather forget some of those.

But yes, I would kill for a complete set of B&B episodes complete with all original muisc videos. It'll never happen though, aside from fan uploaded stuff from old VHS tapes on Youtube.

It'd be nice too if there was an option to watch all episodes with music videos, or without. Then everyone would be happy.

Back