Welcome once again to the NHC

eric

wants to be a nacho man
Administrator
ralph-hi.gif

Hi everyone, and I hope you all enjoyed our summer vacation. Apologies for the weeks-long inconvenience as we overhauled this forum for the first time in 20 years.

Here's the good news: All Simpsons threads and posts since 2001 have been saved and successfully imported to this xenforo version of the NHC.

And here's the bad news: In order to successfully import the decades of Simpsons posts, all off topic posts and blogs were not included in the import. I sincerely apologize for this, since I realize that a significant amount of content and ongoing polls, games, and tournaments were removed as a result of this. Butttttt we did actually remove all the off topic posts once before in 2011, so now we're not due for an off topic post purge until 2031. ;)

In the coming weeks and months we'll be gradually adding new xenforo add-ons and some mobile-friendly features. Please be patient while we continue unpacking and decorating our new xenforo home.

You may post your reactions and complaints below that I may or may not read.

Enjoy the new board smell, everyone.

8/26 EDIT: All off topic posts from 2011 to this year have been saved and imported thanks to the hard work of @Roarke and @kupomog

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that you can change board styles via the link at the bottom left. We may be adding another one or two, and modifying some graphics.

And here's the bad news: In order to successfully import the decades of Simpsons posts, all off topic posts and blogs were not included in the import. I sincerely apologize for this, since I realize that a significant amount of content and ongoing polls, games, and tournaments were removed as a result of this. Butttttt we did actually remove all the off topic posts once before in 2011, so now we're not due for an off topic post purge until 2031. ;)
to be fair, they weren't removed just taken elsewhere and made read only. i know ya know that, i assume you were involved in this process. what many people (me included) will want to know is were these off topic posts archived? and if so if they could be possibly implemented back into the site at a later date. more clarification on why they were not in the first place would be nice as well

i'm just trying to gauge how much the off topic/discord/seagull crew need to revolt against you and roarke because we were given no advance warning to possibly get a chance to archive it ourselves as peyrin and others planned to do and you know as he contacted you directly, you reassured him that you would keep him updated and later that the whole site should be archived anyway

to be fair, they weren't removed just taken elsewhere and made read only. i know ya know that, i assume you were involved in this process. what many people (me included) will want to know is were these off topic posts archived? and if so if they could be possibly implemented back into the site at a later date. more clarification on why they were not in the first place would be nice as well

Yes, the old database with those threads was saved in its entirety. We can discuss more off the board and not here, if you’d like.

Roarke will no longer be heavily involved in this site. We’ll only use him for technical advice as needed. Please only bring technical issues to my attention moving forward

Yes, the old database with those threads was saved in its entirety. We can discuss more off the board and not here, if you’d like.

Roarke will no longer be heavily involved in this site. We’ll only use him for technical advice as needed. Please only bring technical issues to my attention moving forward
yes we'd like to talk more about the possible reintegration or access of that stuff (and please be sure you have multiple backups if you already don't, i'm sure you know as well as anyone that vbulletin stuff is problematic to say the least). if you have a way of contact go ahead and pm it to me or something, alternatively you could hop into the discord and discuss this with all the users who have a vested interest in keeping that stuff around: https://discord.gg/whqbqMx

Last edited:
yes we'd like to talk more about the possible reintegration or access of that stuff (and please be sure you have multiple backups if you already don't, i'm sure you know as well as anyone that vbulletin stuff is problematic to say the least). if you have a way of contact go ahead and pm it to me or something, alternatively you could hop into the discord and discuss this with all the users who have a vested interest in keeping that stuff around: https://discord.gg/whqbqMx
Totally understood. I won't be hopping on the Discord, but we can definitely discuss this week off the boards. I had honestly forgotten that I had mentioned I would keep you guys updated during the import process - sorry about that man.

There were prior discussions this spring about shutting the site down completely. However, my forever-goal with this forum - if I didn't ever previously mention it here - has always been to keep it online for as long as the series lasts. I had originally thought that was going to be 10 or 15 years ago, but the showrunners had different thoughts 🤷‍♂️ 😄 Also, Jacob and I were not convinced that we could keep ANY of the old vBulletin posts and threads due to the old database being bloated with corrupt tables, so this import was in fact ~50% more successful than I thought it would be.

Removing the OT threads is of course a loss for this community, but having been involved in fan sites for over 23 years now, I've seen many other similar forums and sites completely wiped from existence and I'm sure the older members find it at least a bit remarkable that this site is still standing. Any "revolt" as you put it is justified and understandable, but it's unlikely to have an effect on our decision-making at this late stage of the NHC's life.

Last edited:
I’m worried that many members aren’t going to return unless they’re notified of the board. Eric, is it possible to send out a mass email to every person who has ever registered? I know THAT would get some activity in here.

I’m worried that many members aren’t going to return unless they’re notified of the board. Eric, is it possible to send out a mass email to every person who has ever registered? I know THAT would get some activity in here.

ha, well that would be one way to test the limits of the new server...

there's nothing to worry about yet 👍

Just an update that we're finally going live today, and that our XenForo web app should be available within a day or two.

First, AT LAST!!! It was really hard time to wait😭 - tears of happiness
Second, I'd want to thanks Trab Pu Kcip who added info about this transition on the little fandom NHC page In the first times it was a little guest of someway support or feedback.
I love the new look, but first see some difficults, which I'm still trying to understand.😅 God thanks for smiles!
Here's the good news: All Simpsons threads and posts since 2001 have been saved and successfully imported to this xenforo version of the NHC.
WHOO-HOO! Really thanks - all the pages are important parts of history:D

THANKS TO ALL PROGRAMMERS/MODERATORS/ADMINS.

can we go thru the archive and cherry pick some old threads to bring back from the dead

also treehouse access pls

Oh, here are two obvious problems:
1) how to edit posts? I can't find the edit button
2) what happened to that "Stonecutter" ranks after reaching 1000 posts?o_OI find that "hierarchy" was removed at all from the rules.

Oh, here are two obvious problems:
1) how to edit posts? I can't find the edit button
2) what happened to that "Stonecutter" ranks after reaching 1000 posts?o_OI find that "hierarchy" was removed at all from the rules.

1) Reload your browser. Edit should work now - there was a glitch for one of the usergroups.

2) Fixed.

also holy shit every post and thread needs a moderator approval? can we please shut that feature off?

Hahaha you're stuck in a unique usergroup that for some reason requires that. Fixing shortly...

also I'm only accepting praise at this time. please direct your many board complaints to @Roarke 😉

actually I'm a pretty lazy owner most of the time, but thanks.

I'll work on permissions for restricted forum access... xenforo makes things a little bit more difficult than vbulletin.

Back