The NHC's Official Top 50 worst episodes(We know you can guess number 1)

Jessfrogger88

Pin Pal
"Sticky Me" The NHC's Official Top 50 worst episodes(We know you can guess number 1)

THE NHC'S BOTTOM 50

50. Bart Carny
49. The Call of The Simpsons
48. Maximum Homerdrive
47. Strong Arms of Ma
46. Behind the Laughter
45. Missionary Impossible
44. The Computer Wore Menace Shoes
43. The Lastest Gun In The West
42. Children of a Lesser Clod
41. Weekend at Burnsie's
39. D'oh-in' in the Wind
39. Some Enchanted Evening
38. Faith Off
37. Principal and the Pauper
36. Eight Misbehavin'
35. Brother's Little Helper
34. The Frying Game
33. Homer to the Max
32. Gump Roast
31. Tennis the Menace
30. Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder
29. Simpsons Tall Tales
28. Bye Bye Nerdy
27. Make Room for Lisa
26. The Blunder Years
25. Days of Wine and D'Oh'ses
24. Take My Wife, Sleaze
23. The Old Man and the C Student
22. Monty Can't Buy Me Love
21. Homer vs. Dignity
20. Homer's Odyssey
19. Pokey Mom
18. A Tale of Two Springfields
17. Homer the Moe
16. Pray Anything
15. The Mansion Family
14. Alone Again Natura-Diddly
13. Homer Simpson in "Kidney Trouble"
12. When You Dish Upon A Star
11. Little Big Mom
10. I'm Goin' To Praiseland
09. Sunday, Cruddy Sunday
08. Beyond Blunderdome
07. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge
06. Helter Shelter
05. Saddlesore Galactica
04. Bart to the Future
03. New Kids on the Blecch
02. Simpson Safari
01. Kill the Alligator and Run

Today there it is the 50 worst episodes of the Simpsons by NHC

Thank you, for those who submitted lists: Simpson Purist, Sloppy Jimbo XII, George Cauldron, Miguel Sanchez, ComixFan, Wavy Gravy, homer5000, lance, Mike Scully, Mohammed Jafar, Clown without Pity, Jake, Jessfrogger88, Cosmo Krammer, Wezzo, Brad Scanticon, Mayor Quimby, Tacomatt, HomertheGreat, reyontoyeny, and DotheBartman

P.S. There was a tie at 39 hence the two #39s

Ooops last minute edited putting Call of the Simpsons at 49 and bumping out the Spin-off Showcase

Last edited:
WOO! A list I contributed to!

And I was really expecting Simpsons Safari to be number one. Not a bad list.

So, "Behind The Laughter" made both lists. Let's take Jake's advice and laugh at it...

EDIT: And thank you for following my suggestions...

Re: "Sticky Me" The NHC's Official Top 50 worst episodes(We know you can guess number 1)

50. Bart Carny
Why am I the only one who liked this episode?

28. Bye Bye Nerdy

Not high enough!

A bad episode, but #13 seems a little high.

05. Saddlesore Galactica
04. Bart to the Future
02. Simpson Safari
A well-deserving Top Five. :(

Jessfrogger88 said:
you are not alone. I really like this probably in my top 50

Good to know. :D But I still wouldn't make it my Top 50. It'd be one of my "Tweeners", or whatever the hell we decided to call the middle episodes. :)

Cool. I was deathly afraid that some good episodes would make it on to the list, but aside from a few I disagree with, it seems the selection was handled very well.

I'm also glad that "Kill the Alligator and Run", my least favorite episode, came in at #1.

50. Bart Carny

I liked this episode...

46. Behind the Laughter

Alright, i know it's Scully and it's kind of tacky, but I loved this episode :-(

DEFINITELY should be higher, maybe even in the top ten. Horrible ep.

Didn't think it should be this far up.

Other then that, good list

A good list, although I'd like someone to explain to me why everyone except me and DoTheBartman seems to hate Lastest Gun In The West.....

And Weekend At Burnsies shouldnt be there.

Re: "Sticky Me" The NHC's Official Top 50 worst episodes(We know you can guess number 1)

And now, for my comments on the choices. I didn't do this for the best episodes list, but I'll do it here, since I prefer to defend episodes others hate rather than trash episodes others like.

The only classic-era episode to make the list, and not one that I particularly care for, but I don't hate it. The scientists likening Homer to Bigfoot is hi-larious.

47. Strong Arms of Ma
One of the worst cases of thirs-act-fall-apart. I liked the first 2 acts, but I can understand its inclusion.

46. Behind the Laughter
Interesting. I think it's just people overreacting to this season 11 episode being placed on the best episode list. It's a gimmick episode, but it's still reasonably funny, and loaded with great pop culture references and in-jokes. I'd give it a B.

About right. It's not a terrible episode, but it's generally rather lame and unfunny. At least it's original, has a good guest performance by Weaver, some good western humor, and works a s a character study of a washed-up actor.

41. Weekend at Burnsie's
If it wasn't for the stupid ending, I'd be very puzzled about this episode being here. As an "issue" episode, it's written in near-classic fashion.

38. Faith Off
What's so horrible about this episode? Ok, yeah, it once again falls apart completely in the third act, but the first 2 acts are solid, good, witty Simpsons writing. I liked the Brother Faith character and the musical number.

37. Principal and the Pauper
Should be ranked lower, or should I say higher? OK, I mean, it should be ranked worse. Nearly devoid of any humor or meaning.

Yeah, it's wacky, but the attempt at satire, and getting to see Bart act well-behaved, redeem this episode somewhat. Shouldn't quite be in the list, but close.

34. The Frying Game
Good call. This episode was originally well-liked here. Glad to see its getting its due dishonor.

33. Homer to the Max
Yet again, third act fall-apart. But I mostly enjoyed the first 2 acts, enough that I wouldn't put it on the list.

26. The Blunder Years
Shouldn't be on the list. The humor is much more clever than most of the episodes here.

25. Days of Wine and D'ohses
The subplot and the climax are awesome. The main plot sucks; very boring storyline, and manages to make the idea of Barney trying to recover surprisingly unfunny. But it's probably only on the list because of the character change.

24. Take My Wife, Sleaze
I used to really like this episode, but over time, I've realized how lame the story and humor is. Shold be in the 40's, as I still feel John Goodman, and Homer actually succeeding, redeemed this episode somewhat.

Meh, it's mediocre. The emotion is flat and forced, and it has the dreaded character change. It just never struck me as a horrible episode. For some reason, the whole first act reminds me of Who Shot Mr. Burns, in a good way. Rest of the episode has some good laughs throughout, particularly Homer's video.

12. When You Dish Upon A Star
Hell yeah!

09. Sunday, Cruddy Sunday
08. Beyond Blunderdome
07. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge
06. Helter Shelter
05. Saddlesore Galactica
04. Bart to the Future
02. Simpson Safari
No argument here. What a load of crap!

Strong Arms of the Ma shouldn't be there. I know it exploded in the third act but the first two acts were solid A material IMO. Some of the most emotional stuff we've seen in a while.

oh, Call Of The Simpson should definitely not be there either. Mike Scully speaks the truth on just about everything, apart from Lastest Gun In The West, which I didn't find unfunny at all. The whole dog thing wasn't great, but the rest was solid.

HomertheGreat said:
Strong Arms of the Ma shouldn't be there. I know it exploded in the third act but the first two acts were solid A material IMO. Some of the most emotional stuff we've seen in a while.

True, for the most part, it was better than Large Marge (which did not make the list).

I generally agree with most of what's on the list there. Everyone probably has at least three of the top six in their "Worst Ever" list somewhere.

In response to criticism here, I actually rather liked Bart Carny. I also think that The Frying Game should be higher than a mere 34.

Correction for Mike Scully: Call Of The Simpsons isn't the only classic-era episode in here. We've also got Some Enchanted Evening and Homer's Odyssey roaming elsewhere on the list.

Jessfrogger88 said:
THE NHC'S BOTTOM 50

41. Weekend at Burnsie's
27. Make Room for Lisa
20. Homer's Odyssey

Ooops last minute edited putting Call of the Simpsons at 49 and bumping out the Spin-off Showcase

:uhh:

"Call Of The Simpsons" is a classic, there's no way it should be on the list. Everything about this episode is great (okay, the animation isn't great, but that doesn't really matter). The plot's simple but effective, and there are some great gags in there. The Homer/Bigfoot scenes are brilliant, as is Homer's jealousy of Ned and Homer hunting wabbits and the echoing "D'oh!" and the sweet ending ("my brilliant beast") and and and.

There are also some elements which would go on to be used to better effect later on, surely that counts for something.

Are we there yet? Just a little further. Are we there yet? Just a little further. Are we there yet? Just a little further..... and "That's nice honey, but we're not in astronomy class.... we're in the woods"

Classic, I tell ye. Maggie and the bears wasn't bad, either.

I'd agree with what Mike Scully said about "Weekend At Burnsie's", and I'm a little surprised it made the list (best ep of S13, IMO)

I never realised there was so much hatred of "Make Room For Lisa". It's a fairly poor episode, but "jerkass Homer" has been much worse, and the scenes in isolation chambers, or whatever they were, were quite well done. It's not worth defending, but I would like to know why it's so poorly thought of.

"Homer's Odyssey" at #20? That almost makes me want to take my boulder for a walk. The humour alone in this episode should easily take it clear of the bottom 50. With maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, "Homer's Odyssey" is better than anything post season 8.

What is there in this episode that could possibly justify its place on this list? Yes, there are some very depressing scenes. Homer considers killing himself, well, shit, that's something that loads of people deal with every day. The climactic scene on the bridge isn't played for laughs, it's a genuinely touching scene between Homer and the family. There's a good mix of humour and emotion. Bad comparison time - it kinda reminds of the "Only Fools & Horses" episode in which Cassandra has a miscarriage - both are touching and funny at the same time, with the morbid situations and humour sharing screen time without adversely affecting one another.

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution...

50. Bart Carny
i dont think this should have been in 50 worst, but probably in 100 worst.

i like this episode. should be another falling in the middle of the pack here.

47. Strong Arms of Ma
i thought this one was decent as well

46. Behind the Laughter
should the fact that this made both lists cancel it out and put it somewhere in between?

should be much higher

36. Eight Misbehavin'
i think this one belongs in worst 20

same goes for this one

27. Make Room for Lisa
this is potenetial top 10 material on this list, if not at least top 15

24. Take My Wife, Sleaze
should be between 5-10 here

22. Monty Can't Buy Me Love
pretty horrible episode, also top material

20. Homer's Odyssey
how did this even make this list?

this one should have grabbed the top spot on this list

top 10 is pretty good as is the list, overall

Mohammed Jafar said:
what was so wrong with Lastest Gun In The West dammit?

I sure as hell didn't put it on my list, as I liked it, too. In fact, when my grandparents were over last summer, and watching the repeat of the episode, they were laughing tremendously out loud...

man that ep has loads of great lines. I bet it was a reasonably untampered Swartzwelder script, loads of great dialogue that was very indicative of his style.

- "Wow, it's like you're living in a steakhouse!"
"Thanks, uh, most people just mutter that."
- "Oh, that was just aimed at kids who were already heavy drinkers."
- (proudly) "Well, speaking of achievers, they're thinking of spraying your old man's workplace for ticks."
- "Oh Homie, you'll always be my Western hero."
(sarcastically) "Swell."
- "I won't be doing a monologue because my feet hurt."
- "Sorry don't suture my colon!"

Some thoughts

[49. The Call of The Simpsons
48. Maximum Homerdrive
42. Children of a Lesser Clod
31. Tennis the Menace

I actually would have put these epsiodes in the 100-200 range, infact Call of the Simpsons made my top 50.

27. Make Room for Lisa
Amazingly this got a horrid ranking, how the hell is this watchable, recycled plot, loud stupid Homer? Simply put Worst episode ever.

25. Days of Wine and D'Oh'ses

Woulda been in 100-200 range

18. A Tale of Two Springfields

Sadly at one point I use to like this, and that was last week, till I saw it again.

100-200 range

Why did Kill the Alligator and Run beat out Simpsons Safari? Otherwise pretty good list, enjoyed Behind the Laughter though. Bart Carney isn't 100 best but isn't 50 worst.

Pretty fine list, I'll comment on it in further detail later.
I'm relieved that Moaning Lisa(One of the 50 BEST Episodes IMO) isn't here.

If Moaning Lisa made this list I'd have to set fire to something/someone. But anyway, a pretty agreeable list, though I think that Call of the Simpsons and Homer's Oddyssey, while not really great, have absolutely no place on there, but the list has all of the obvious choices there.

Mohammed Jafar said:
what was so wrong with Lastest Gun In The West dammit?

In my opinion, "The Latest Gun in the West" is the WORST EPISODE EVER. I wanted to rip my hair out while I was watching it. Sloppy plot, excrusiatingly bad animation, shockingly unfunny jokes, a terrible guest star, every character was freakishly portrayed...it was totally disgusting, and there is no excuse for it. I wish I could wipe it from my memory.

oh man, I guess people don't get that all Simpsons episodes don't have to be laugh out loud hilarious, some have a deeper meaning than that.

It certainly is.
In fact, one of the people who contributed to "The Top 100 list"(Tom Stuart, a friend of mine who is not a member of the board) put it in first place, he absolutely loves the characterisation, the subplot, the dialogue, the great animation etc....
If he found out that a few people put it in their worst episode lists, he would flip.

JF88 - any interesting trivia? how many different eps were metioned?

As for the list, yeah, its fair. I'm disappointed that W@B, BtL and The Frying Game are there though.

Back