George '...and a hot plate!' Plimpton Dies at 76

Andy

pretty rad
Posted this in GD because it has a lot more bearing on the fact that he guest starred in I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can than on his literary work... on a Simpsons board.

Author George Plimpton dies at age 76

NEW YORK (AP) — George Plimpton, the self-deprecating author of Paper Lion and a patron to Philip Roth, Jack Kerouac and countless other writers, has died. He was 76.

Plimpton died Thursday night at his Manhattan apartment, his longtime friend, restauranteur Elaine Kaufman, said Friday.

"I saw him the other day. He was full of energy," said Kaufman, who said she had known Plimpton for 40 years. "He was talking about a trip he took with his family to the tip of South America."

Praised as a "central figure in American letters" when inducted in 2002 to the American Academy of Arts and Letters, Plimpton also enjoyed a lifetime of making literature out of nonliterary pursuits.

He boxed with Archie Moore, pitched to Willie Mays and performed as a trapeze artist for the Clyde Beatty-Cole Brothers Circus. He acted in numerous films, including Reds and Good Will Hunting. He even appeared in an episode of The Simpsons, playing a professor who runs a spelling bee.

(Emphasis is mine)

source

George Plimpton passes away

Simpsons fans would know him as the guest voice of himself in the episode, "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can." He's the guy who is running the spelling bee and asks Lisa to take the fall. Not only was he one of the best guest voices (in my opinion) he was also a very talented writer. His art will be greatly missed.

Here's a link to the CNN story.

Maddog.

everyone's forgetting the most important part of all: he was the television spokesman for Intellivision in the early 80s.

he'll be horribly missed.

I did not know who he was before The Simpsons episode I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, and until now, I didn't know what he was famous for, but like any death, famous or not, his death is still a shame. He really shone in I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, and normally, I hate it when guests star as themselves. Rest In Peace.

Ive never seen someone so intellectual be so funny. He'll be missed.

Bloody hell, so many guest stars and celebs passing. :(

Rest In Peace.

Wavy Gravy said:
Damn, this is a bad year for "Simpsons" guest stars, isn't it? Barry White, Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and now this.

It's been a bad year for celebrities in general. Here's a list of all that I can think of right off the bat:

Mr. Rogers
Strom Thurman
Frank O'Bannan (Governor of Indiana, where I take residence)
Charles Bronson
John Ritter
Buddy Ebson
all the ones you mentioned
Robert Palmer

George Cauldron said:
I did not know who he was before The Simpsons episode I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, and until now, I didn't know what he was famous for, but like any death, famous or not, his death is still a shame. He really shone in I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, and normally, I hate it when guests star as themselves. Rest In Peace.

I hope this is not too lazy but is there any point in mimicing the quote above. It's exactly how I feel from a Cauldron voice....Rest in Peace good man.

Those in Chicagoland: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can is airing now on Channel 32.

Right now.

I told those damn celebrities to WATCH OUT for Death when John Ritter died! Now George Plimpton wanders off with that black-hooded guy who sounds an awful lot like Norm MacDonald/Adam Corrola!

RIP George...

He spoke the greatest words of wisdom ever on SNL.

"Just enjoy the Ozzy and keep your mouth shut."

Now that I learn about his death, I'm learning about what he's famous for. But since I'm on a Simpsons forum site, I'll just say that his appearance in I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can was great. Rest in peace.

I never knew he was until I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, Now that I have found more about him on the day he passed away makes it even more saddening (If that's a word). Rest In Peace George.

As many of you have said, I had never heard of George Plimpton before the recent ISAFAIC episode.

R.I.P. George.

Wavy Gravy said:
Damn, this is a bad year for "Simpsons" guest stars, isn't it? Barry White, Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and now this.

Its been a bad year for celebrities in general, dont forget John Ritter.

I've only heard of George Plimpton twice. One was his appearance in "I'm Spelling...". And this summer, I borrowed the book "The Gospel According to ESPN" from the library. He writes a very entertaining section on the "gods" of sports (Pete Rozelle, Ted Williams, Secretariat, etc.)

RIP, George.

Why the fuck was he on the Simpsons in the first place?

Anyway.. I have no idea who he is, other then he was on Simpsons, so his death is in consequential.

Back