Fine. I'll call you when it's time to stop having fun...

Tipsy McStagger.

Ultimate robot lover
Riddle me this Radioactive Man. Why are there so many 'haters' on these boards?

Example - I have recently watched the much-panned 'Saddlesore' and 'Kill the Alligator' and, while they may not be gold Simpsons, both episodes have a few good parts in them that gave me a giggle...

In Saddlesore when Homer puts the jockeys in the plastic bag heh heh.

OR

In Kill the Gator when the Simpsons turn 'Cletus' during their short stint in the caravan whilist on the run.

Aren't we taking ourselves just a little bit too seriously folks? Being hyper critical is just too much like hard work for me as I would have won the laziest man on Earth title if I could only have bothered to turn up. Or is the price of freedom eternal vigilance?

I rest my case...I mean, case closed.

Tipsy.

I agree with you on a lot of points. Both episodes have some good jokes.

I think the reason why a lot of people hate the episodes is because many people think they were written spitefully... like the writers were intentionally trying to anger the fans who were hyper-critical about earlier episodes when reality was slightly bent, the plot got too wacky, etc.

To each his own, I guess. People can try to convince you otherwise, but you can keep your opinion and I won't make you change it. I didn't think those episodes were that great. They had some good moments, but they weren't good episodes.

Alls I can say about us "haters" is that its our legitimate opinion. You can agree or disagree, and that's fine. That's what these boards are about. But its just our opinion and (for the most part) we're not trying to be hypercritical. We're just saying what we thought of the episodes, in most of us though "Kill the Alligator and Run" was terrible.

Simple: We are "haters" for these episodes because seasons 1-8 happened. Compare those episode to season 10-12, they are vastly different in quality, and from season 13 and on, even though there was improvement, the show's reputation was damaged forever by from not only these years, but from the fact of a very long running time. (if you notice, a BUNCH of Simpsons bashers, if not all, will keep constantly saying "17 years is enough!")

Basically, without being live-action and having to hassle with actors (though there are those pesky voice actors [the strikes.......Shearer, for instance]), the Simpsons seemed invincible. Well, wow, whoop-de-doo, it's not.

As for the episodes, meh, I know, there are a few good jokes, but, hey, every Simpsons episode has a good joke. They are still professional COMEDY writers. Even though plot, logic and absolute knowledge may not be their expertise, comedy is always a must for these writers. So, of course they're gonna write some hilarious jokes that might not bomb! But, of course, being smart viewers, we all know that it is overall quality that really matters, and what the show brings to the screen, and how smart it is. I mean, just like movies, TV episodes have to be good in order to be praised, right?

Well, actually, I have been thinking "gee, wouldn't it be nice if the Simpsons would just end, remain a classic that once was, and be able to boast 'yeah! I watched the SIMPSONS when they had new episodes!' to my grandchildren?"...gosh...that would be sweet...but, hey, I don't flaunt the thought. I'll still enjoy new episodes while they're here and--

Wait........what was the topic of the thread again?...

I am one of the few(?) who liked those 2 episodes. In fact, I like pretty much everything up until last season, which was hit and miss for me. I'll admit that some seasons took awhile for me to warm up to, and maybe last season will improve with age, but as it stands now I don't care if some episodes aren't as 'smart' as others. If it makes me laugh, and I can lose myself in the environment then I'm happy. Some(meaning nobody I'm aware of) refer to this outlook as 'Star Wars prequel syndrome', perhaps with good cause.

Yes, they're all opinions. People tend to expect certain things from anything they grow to love, and changes made to that are usually unsettling at first, sometimes too unsettling to ever forgive. Many fans of anything will tell you that the creators of there obsession owe them, because without the fans there's nothing. They don't always want to look at the other side and realize that nobody owes you anything just because you fell in love. Love hurts.

*sniff*

You are entitled to your opinion. As am I. KTAAR was awful IMO and should never have been made and SG made me want to punch someone.
Thats my opinion and Im sticking to it. Oh and welcome to the NHC wipe your feet and be polite to the Moderators

I agree with the majority that Saddlesore is unforgivable. Just bad everywhere. Kill The Alligator is bad, but i liked the Logans Run and Cool Hand Luke references. I'm one of the few that loves Simpsons Safari though. The wackiness and impossibilities in that episode are pushed so far it actually works.

forgot the apologetic circumlocuted answers and extensive reasoning - I hate those episodes because they're flat-out terrible. I don't care if they have two or three OK jokes. Watching twenty minutes of irritatingly unlikeable and/or flat, one-dimensional characters clattering their way through the most juvenile, lazy, brainless gags imaginable merely for the sake of maybe two mildly satisfying jokes is not an efficient use of time. the dislike i have towards those episodes is of course amplified by the fact they are essentially the show I loved so much for eight years being butchered, degraded and shit all over. it's not being hypercritical, it's being passionate. or something.

I am lucky to say I have never seen KTAAR, but Simpson Safari was total shit. I am not a "hater" of the show. Heck, I'm actually pretty light on my opinions of the recent years, but it is obvious the show got a lot worse around late season 9/10, and seasons 11 and 12 were terrible for The Simpsons. Although still more watchable than 90% of TV, the fact that seasons 2/3-8 were better than 100% of TV makes me and a lot of other fans sad about the quality of the Scully years (and given a lot of quality programming that aired in the timeframe from 1990 to 1998 was cancelled by the time of the Scully years just makes the percentage jump down even worse). Simpson Safari was just an overblown example of what was wrong with the Scully years. Terrible characterization, no sense of the plot, no style to make up for lack of plot, no intelligence, failed attempts at satire, failed attempts at humor, not enough humor, and terrible direction all add up to a crappy episode. Admittedly, the show is getting better (season 13 was OK, season 14 had its share of great episodes, season 15 was mostly a return to form), but still it isn't as good as it once was. So we still love the show, but when something bad happens to something we love, it is logical to complain.

I liked the man with the whip from the alligator episode. I liked him a lot, I don't know why, but these 'haters' you speak of make me feel like I should be ashamed for liking him, that's my only problem with them. Also, I think that the simpsons at their worst were not better than most TV, they were just like most TV. Some other thing that I think is that the change in animation added to my distaste for new episodes. I really do hate that way the Simpsons look now.

I really dont get the "still the Simpsons at their worst were better than any crap in tv".

People take this stuff too seriously, theres been several simpsons episodes i didn't like but i don't get mad about them. I just shrug it off because theres been so many that I have enjoyed. And to the guy who said he doesn't understand the argument that the worst simpsons episode is better than the rest of stuff on tv, i don't see how you can't understand it. You may not agree with it but it seems simple to understand. I personally agree with the statement, the only two shows i watch are simpsons and conan.

Just because its better than other t.v shows doesn't mean its actually good.
The other crop of adult animations for the most part are better than the simpsons at its worst and even something like Fraiser or Friends had better episodes than the worst simpson episodes.

Tipsy, if you want to see hatin' on this site, go to this thread:

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=42128

That's where we all ranked our top 25 episodes and they were ranked in the top 100, and then another 122 some of them. People, including myself, just cannot agree on which episodes belong where and there are so many that hate certain ones that it just became a brawl on here.

Go to the thread and re-live the memories my friend.

I don't have cable so i may not have seen the other adult cartoons your talking about; but i hate both Family Guy and King of the Hill. Family guy was funny the first time i saw it, but incredibly unfunny after that. King of the Hill's success has always flabergasted me, i've seen several episodes and i've never even chuckled.

Back