The Simpsons: The Complete Season 8 DVD (In Stores Now)

That review was pretty nice. The only thing they seem to be doing differently in this set doesn't sound all too nice though...how they're changing the plastic things in the digipack so they're held together as a 'book' by using cardboard and glue instead of strong, clear tape...

are any websites taking orders yet?

the dude who I am arranging to bring it over to Australia with him - he lives in Boston and leaves there on August 30, that should leave enough time for the set to arrive at his place?

Tons of websites are taking orders. They have been for months. We've been talking about it here for the past week.

Good review. Just makes me anticipate this set even more. I think I'm going to sit down and watch the entire season at once when I get it, I forgot how many awesome episodes were in here.

I just got mine and the first thing I noticed was that half of the first disc-holder is already unglued. I am 100% positive that it will fall out someday.

If this trend continues, Season 7 will end up as the only set with actual, perfectly working packaging. :(

Uh, how is it any different from the season 7 packaging? And where did you find it on sale so early?

As it said in the review the "pages" are glued to a cardboard spine instead of the strong tape and you can hear it giving everytime you open them. It's sorta weak.

As for the question as to how I got it... I am going out of town for a few weeks so I wanted to get them for the plane ride... I ordered them off of eBay and had the guy ship it overnight :) Not too shabby...

Here are a few scans of the box and the booklet as you requested...
http://h1.ripway.com/singinhobo/hp_scanDS_689159293.jpg
booklette is on the left, box on the right... you can see that it's the maggie image that shows through the screen.

Unfortunately, my digital camera shipped out a few days ago so I'm not going to get you scans of the inside cover or anything, but the inside cover is at least slightly more inspired than the rest of it, a series of black-and-white "negatives" (although none of them are in negative) featuring about 80 various characters and guest stars.

And a scan of the menu for disc 1... sorry the quality is poor, just using a screen grab software...
http://h1.ripway.com/singinhobo/simpsons/Screenshot_1.jpg

I ask that you only view them each once and save it to your hard drive for future reference to spare my bandwidth. thanks.

Also, I'm sorry, but I'm incredibly busy between now and my trip, so I won't be able to provide any further scans, but if you want to know something I can give a brief description.

are the episode-specific menus like the ones for season 6 (with the picture being taken and all)?

Has anyone else noticed how much less the writers for the episodes come back to do the commentaries than they did for the first few seasons? For seasons 1-4 I think everyone bar Swartzwelder came back. Maybe it was because they were a solid group of staff for four seasons and they practically invented the show so they felt a closer affintity towards each other and a greater fondness for the show. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure everyone like Meyer, Jeff Martin, Jay and Wallace, Mike and Reiss, Jon Vitti, did commentaries. Looking through the list for this set there are glaring absences all the way through.

Frankly, I think there just isn't much to say that hasn't been said... even towards the end of their runs the commentaries were dipping in quality... yeah, everybody is a brilliant writer, and the voice talents are all wonderful, and it takes 9 months to make an episode, and they can make last minute changes up to 2 weeks before airing and BLAH BLAH BLAH... I don't think there's much left that needs to be said about the Simpsons. For quality's sake I wouldn't mind if they cut back to 3 or 4 episodes with commentary for a change... a solid hour of quality commentary instead of 6 or 7 hours of droning.

Are you kidding? Season 7 has had the best commentaries BY FAR. It would be a crime against humanity for them to stop doing commentaries on every episode now.

Singin Hobo said:
Frankly, I think there just isn't much to say that hasn't been said... even towards the end of their runs the commentaries were dipping in quality... yeah, everybody is a brilliant writer, and the voice talents are all wonderful, and it takes 9 months to make an episode, and they can make last minute changes up to 2 weeks before airing and BLAH BLAH BLAH... I don't think there's much left that needs to be said about the Simpsons. For quality's sake I wouldn't mind if they cut back to 3 or 4 episodes with commentary for a change... a solid hour of quality commentary instead of 6 or 7 hours of droning.

Unless your dvd set's are different to mine, you should have the choice to wether you want commentarys on or not.

Can someone confirm what the real color of the Simpsons Season 8 box is because on all of the retail websites (Amazon, etc.) the box looks light blue, but on ebay there are a few on sale that have actual scans of the box and it looks like a dark green... can anyone confirm if it really is dark green? just curious.

Binky said:
Uh, how is it any different from the season 7 packaging? And where did you find it on sale so early?
ivan_simpsons said:
The only thing they seem to be doing differently in this set doesn't sound all too nice though...how they're changing the plastic things in the digipack so they're held together as a 'book' by using cardboard and glue instead of strong, clear tape...

Binky said:
Are you kidding? Season 7 has had the best commentaries BY FAR. It would be a crime against humanity for them to stop doing commentaries on every episode now.

I agree...maybe not as dramatically, but I am in agreement. Good stuff all around.

And I'm not really worried about the absences since I never thought we would get Kelsey Grammer in the studio.

I know. That sounds illegal (not you, whoever had it on eBay). The person probably works at one of those stores and stole it.

Or he IS a retailer and just doesn't feel a need to obey street dates. Some retailers even use it to their advantage and sell DVDs for higher prices because nobody else is selling them yet.

bentwookie87 said:
Can someone confirm what the real color of the Simpsons Season 8 box is because on all of the retail websites (Amazon, etc.) the box looks light blue, but on ebay there are a few on sale that have actual scans of the box and it looks like a dark green... can anyone confirm if it really is dark green? just curious.
The color is a metalic greenish-blue.

As for the commentaries I have to admit that I never made it to seven... I listened faithfully to them immediately after watching all of the episodes, but in season six they took a serious turn for the dull and I only made it halfway through. Perhaps you're correct.

There were actually a few sellers selling it early... this guy actually wasn't offering overnight shipping, so if somebody had ordered it from him and he just shipped it regularly they would have maybe gotten it a day earlier.

To tell the truth, I've probably obtained more Simpsons sets prior to the release date than I have ON the release date... 3 or 4 times I've gone into Walmart as much as a week and a half before the date and they've had it out... I've been pretty lucky.

Well, mine arrived today (the Maggie box). Looking good so far. :)

I'll do the review for SNPP at the weekend.

Back