Rate and Review "Homer The Heretic"

How would you rate Homer The Heretic?

• Total voters
Awesome stuff, in my top ten. It's very funny, and it raises questions. Homer at his best.

Words cannot define the brilliance of this episode. Except the words I just typed in. Five out of five, no question. This is the episode that has everything that makes The Simpsons the sheer genius of comedy that it is.

A excellent episode, top ten material. Another season four classic. A+

This, set next to "A Streetcar Named Marge", easily makes the best two weeks of the Simpsons ever seen. Both brilliant episodes, top 15 minimum. I can't say anything about the satire in "Homer the Heretic" that hasn't already been said. It's just great. A+

I just watched this last night. Awesome. Everything is there, Homer is great. I have yet to watch it with the commentaries but I'll get to it. This is a prime example of Classic Simpsons.

I feel it's slightly overrated, but it's still a classic. I particularly enjoyed the 2nd act. A

My Top Five:
1. "Mother Simpson"
2. "Cape Feare"
3. "Homer the Heretic"
4. "Bart Sells His Soul"
5. "Lisa's Substitute"

Easily deserves an A+

Last edited:
The poll says it all. I can't imagine giving this less than a perfect score. Its only flaw isn't even a flaw: God has five fingers, then later, four. Its victories, however, are countless.

"Flanders is a regular Charlie Church, and god didn't save his house. D'oh!" Pure magic.

Simply fantastic episode. Right on par with the episode before it as one of the best ever. Just great, A+

Best episode of all-time. The best. Everything about the episode was stellar: the humor, the story, the satire, the moral. I echo the sentiments of everyone else here in saying that this episode was Homer at his best. Very interesting episode, deserving of the recognition it gets. A+.

Who voted 4/5? How dare you!

My 2nd favorite episode, topped only by Lisa's Substitute. Perfect all around. A+

5 here too! It's just a difinitive classic style episode. Great moments of dialouge (Homer quoting the bible to Lovejoy), a well thought out and sweet resolution, and by far the best religon themed episode they've ever done.

After watching it on Thursday night, I determined that it is actually better than "Lisa's Wedding", but only by a small margin. That makes it my third favorite episode of all time. And can you blame me? This episode represents everything that defines "The Simpsons". It's funny, the plot is great. The moral is there, but it isn't forced down your throat. The episode also satirizes religion, and even when it isn't, there's no preachiness. Simply brilliant. 5/5 all the way.

I'm almost embarrassed to say... I had never seen this episode before a week ago when a friend let me view one of his tapes full of eps. This has arguably the best Homer material, his walks with God are classic. 4/5

Top 10 genius. Perfect development of the themes and story, done in such a way that's perfectly charming and thought-provoking rather than preachy and irritating. Some of the most hilarious character humor the show has ever done. Homer in particular is handled so well here in relation to the story, humor and themes. There are so many ideas covered in this episode, even-handed and unassuming. And you can get out of it pretty much just what you want to put into it, it's one of the most accessible and warm satires the show has ever done. A+, for sure.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder at The Simpsons than when Flanders prays for Homer, pushes him into the mattress, and Homer bounces back into the house.

Best episode ever, tied with Homer Bad Man.

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

Marvellous, absolute perfection. If you ever meet anybody who's never seen the show before, tell them to watch this episode.

I've never managed to create a top episode list that I'm completely satisfied in, but I would imagine this comes somewhere in the top ten. Wonderful satire that, as Tibor said, one can take anything they want out of. And it has some of the best comedic moments ever in the series. A+

5/5.

Only the Simpsons could have gotten away with something like this in 1992. I mean, the subject matter about skipping out on Church could easily have been taken out of context by a lot of right-wing religious groups that the Simpsons were in fact alligned with Satan. :D

Back