Votes: 47 28.7%
  • 3/5 Police officer?

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • 2/5 Insurance salesman

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 1/5 Salmon gutter?!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Also, I would not want someone who can get away with a terrible thing like that to have a successful future. Imagine the corruption.
:yell:
Sorry D'ohmer, but thats the stupidest thing ever. It was a phase that ends at the end of the episode!! You know better than that! Lisa only acted that way as part of her distraught test-induced chracter change; she wasn't acting like herself, and would never act out, let alone attempt and succeed at said terrible things in the future.

But if something like that is enough to make Lisa become so depressed, imagine what worse things she would definately have to face in the future would do to her. I guess you can say that she's only eight and that she will learn to control herself better in the future, but I thought she was already mature for her age.

Why do you think I feel intimidated by her? I just point things out in episodes I don't like and I can't help it if I have many problems with her character.

Why do you think I feel intimidated by her? I just point things out in episodes I don't like and I can't help it if I have many problems with her character.

But EVERY time she's on the screen for more than 4 seconds, or is involved with a major plot point, you go out of your way to describe how her character screwed up the episode, or how she's a bad character to even exist. You don't seem to care if Lisa's essential to the plot, or otherwise, and you just bitch because she wasn't stifled in the background. Seriously, your constant haggling over the concept of what Lisa's character brings to th show is like bitching about the existence of the whale in Moby Dick.

But I don't hate every Lisa moment. In fact, there are many times that I thought the writers did a great job with her. It's just that she is my least favorite character, so I think it's just natural that I would find faults with her in many of her moments on the show.

The main plot had potential, but because of some forced/cheap moments and characterization, I think it got ruined. Lisa worried about her future, which I thought was handled better in Lisa Simpson This Isn't Your Life, had potential, but we were given a forced characterization for her, in which she basically gave up on life because a simple test said she will be a home maker.

Handled better in what?!

http://deadhomersociety.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/compare-contrast-marge-lisa-at-breakfast/

I love it. Lisa's characterisation didn't really bother me, I thought it was at least done gradually and it actually made for a really interesting story. It's also one of the funniest of season 3, Bart as the hall monitor was awesome. Plus I love the idea of flipping Bart and Lisa's roles around and their two plots intertwine really really well. I'm actually gunna give this an A+, probably the best of season 3 and a top 20 episode.

Maybe my favorite episode of the season 3. 4.5/5
I like the beginning with Bart and the 2 policemen.

I love the scene with Bart and Skinner searching through the lockers. The episode overall is great, and one of my favourites from season 3.

10/10

Just watching this now. It's at the break currently - and I did NOT expect that twist! Love the dramatic sound effects.

But that's one of the things I don't like about Lisa. She has an awkward blend of an eight year old girl and a genius. This is one of the instances where it didn't work for me. I can understand her getting upset over the exam, but the fact that she started throwing her life away made it go a little too far. I am not denying that what Bart did was sweet, but I think that she should have to learn from her mistakes. In the real world, there won't be Bart Simpson to save her everytime she makes a mistake. Also, I would not want someone who can get away with a terrible thing like that to have a successful future. Imagine the corruption. I just think that on the writers' part, they should have made Lisa pay for her actions. I would have felt more satisfied.

Yes, I was hoping that Lisa would get caught, honestly. I just wanted to see her get what she deserved and not Bart, once again, for something he didn't do. I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can root for Lisa, when she was acting like such a jerk througout the episode and actually stole the books.

It was more of Homer having stubby fingers that broke continuity for me. We never before saw him struggle with things that required the use of the hand, so this seemed random for me. Also, Lisa having them at the same time that she was depressed about her future seemed like a cheap plot device. It seemed a cheap way to get rid of the last thing that Lisa could have possibly used as a hope for the future.
I totally agree.I've been wondering lately...Lisa was a good character in the Early Shorts...too bad she sucked once the half-hour episodes rolled along
I despise these Mary Su characters who get away with everything.This is why I hate this episode...the fucking ending.Well that's not the only reason..they fucking realized they took away Lisa's Personality so they were desparately trying to do something with Lisa and what she did was totally out of her character which was established in the half-hour shows(A Character which sucked ass BTW)
I also hate the fucking message Bart sends in the ending...It's a "You're smart so you deserve more"..."Im dumb so it's OK if I get punished" that is TOTALLY Wrong

But that's not the message of the episode at all. The message is that Bart realizes Lisa made a huge mistake and he's willing to put himself before and take the fall because that's in character for him. He knows that this is most likely just a phase for Lisa and doesn't want her entire life screwed up because of one mistake. He's playing the role of big brother it's a real sweet moment if you can't see that it's pretty sad.

But that's not the message of the episode at all. The message is that Bart realizes Lisa made a huge mistake and he's willing to put himself before and take the fall because that's in character for him. He knows that this is most likely just a phase for Lisa and doesn't want her entire life screwed up because of one mistake. He's playing the role of big brother it's a real sweet moment if you can't see that it's pretty sad.
I get it but it still comes across to me like that.If Lisa would admit that she did it (after Bart tries to save her) and take responsibility that would be a much more stronger ending. instead we have this ending where Lisa does nothing.It's like when Marge says to her "I'll do the smiling for both of us" in Moaning Lisa...it's creepy as fuck

But lisa taking the blame after that happens is just cheesy as hell. It would sap all the emotion out of the scene because Bart is doing it as a big brother for once he is the more mature sibling. Why take that away?

But lisa taking the blame after that happens is just cheesy as hell. It would sap all the emotion out of the scene because Bart is doing it as a big brother for once he is the more mature sibling. Why take that away?

To make her actually be a strong character for fucking once.I cant recall there's ever been that a time where Lisa took the blame.Just becuz she's younger doesn't mean she can get away with everything.And this is really funny cuz despite Bart taking the blame everyone think Bart is the Immature one and Lisa the Mature one and that pisses me off.

She's the strongest character in the show. Maybe not the funniest but her character probably has the most layers to it. I'm not sure her having to take the blame makes her a stronger character. Bart taking the blame makes him a stronger character because it goes against what what is expected of him. It would be very Lisa for her to want to take the blame but having Bart take the blame makes the moment much more poignant. The concrete role you've placed Bart in (immature) is what makes this moment so special because no one will know what Bart did outside of him and Lisa and he likes it that way. It builds the sibling bond they have even more. It doesn't make Lisa a bad person for not taking the blame it makes Bart a good person and a caring person. Why does Lisa need to take the blame? Just because of some preconceived notion of what you think should happen to people? When has Lisa ever needed to take the blame? In Lisa the Skeptic she is shown to be scared in the final moments revealing that despite the way she acts she still knows there is a certain part of her that believes stuff that everyone else does(which is equal to taking the blame I'd say). In Lisa the Vegetarian she realizes she is wrong and apologizes to Homer. I'm sure there are many more examples as well. But I mean for the most part she doesn't need to take any blame or do anything because she is normally in the right. You may not agree with her methods but that is her role as the family's moral backbone.

I disagree with you.Lisa is the weakest and blandest character out of the 4.Biggest thing she has to worry about most of the time is her grades and some stupid activist crap no-one cares about.Lisa never really got caught when she did bad things(few times) unlike Bart.
FFS she gets insecure about Maggie having a higher IQ then her.How is that a Strong Character?

ThankYouComeAgain said:
I get it but it still comes across to me like that.If Lisa would admit that she did it (after Bart tries to save her) and take responsibility that would be a much more stronger ending.

lisa was about to take the blame, but bart interupted her. only bart's interference prevented her from taking responsibility. and that, as [MENTION=32798]Old painty-can Ned[/MENTION] said, is a far more interesting conclusion than the one you're advocating. if you put your dislike for lisa to the side for a moment, you might realise that the ending is one of the more clever elements of the episode. the status quo needed to be reset at the end of the episode. that could have happened in one of two ways. either a nonsensical and cheap ending, for instance, lisa accepting responsibility and principal skinner forgiving her for some reason, or a better option, such as bart taking responsibility and having the status quo reset that way. and it had nothing to do with "You're smart so you deserve more"..."Im dumb so it's OK if I get punished"". it's more along the lines of "i think that you have more potential than me, therefore me taking the punishment in this case will let you realise that potential." something like that was actually SAID in the episode, was it not?

lisa was about to take the blame, but bart interupted her. only bart's interference prevented her from taking responsibility. and that, as [MENTION=32798]Old painty-can Ned[/MENTION] said, is a far more interesting conclusion than the one you're advocating. if you put your dislike for lisa to the side for a moment, you might realise that the ending is one of the more clever elements of the episode. the status quo needed to be reset at the end of the episode. that could have happened in one of two ways. either a nonsensical and cheap ending, for instance, lisa accepting responsibility and principal skinner forgiving her for some reason, or a better option, such as bart taking responsibility and having the status quo reset that way. and it had nothing to do with "You're smart so you deserve more"..."Im dumb so it's OK if I get punished"". it's more along the lines of "i think that you have more potential than me, therefore me taking the punishment in this case will let you realise that potential." something like that was actually SAID in the episode, was it not?

But you forget that Bart was actually finally for once doing something with his life being a Hall Monitor and he gave it away.Im sure Lisa wouldn't have done the same for Bart.And her character is pretty damn weak.Weakest out of the 4 definetely.

bart doing something with his life - if you consider a hall monitor a life position - doesn't really violate the content of his speech at the end of the episode. again, he thought lisa was the one with potential and he acted based on that thought

and yes you keep saying that she's the weakest of the four but i'm not at all convinced and i agree far more with the analysis from [MENTION=32798]Old painty-can Ned[/MENTION] than yours. in any case, i don't think it really matters. i'm happy for a character to be weak, or evil or what have you as long as they're consistently so (there are notable exceptions). and this episode, cliched as the content may be, has an ending that's very consistent with the way lisa and bart had been written previously. you can be unhappy with lisa, but i'm not too sure that translates into a sensible dislike for this particular episode. for me, almost everything you were saying in your original post about separate vocations doesn't make a whole lot of sense. lisa's personality wasn't desperately changed, it was changed for a sensible reason. it was out of character, but that's because her world has been violated. the message wasn't what you said, it was what bart narrated (which makes me question from what end of the episode you obtained your reading from?).

Fine let's agree to disagree then.And I dont like this episode for other reasons too such as Lisa acting completely out of character...it was strange and bizarre to see Lisa do things that Bart would do while Bart was being responsible
And also like D'ohmer said in the previous page...she won't have Bart all her life to take the blame for her...so yeah

(Disclaimer: This post may or may not make a lot of sense to you.)
Talking about characterization; I liked this episode mainly because how the characters aren’t their portrayed with as much of their regular characterization, but was instead gradually influenced by the school’s standardized test. Now, regarding the “off-characterization” in this episode:

Lisa’s characterization was clearly different, but was a fair change to fit the episode because she sees education and music as a significant part of life (so her decisions would be influenced by the school more)—her attitude towards education and her dream were destroyed when she received her result, a homemaker-- a job that Lisa regards a less realistic and ideal career for all her hard work put into school and practicing her saxophone. She joins the “bad” side later, only after realizing that the music teacher doesn’t think that she can be a famous jazz musician. Perfectly normal behavior because adults play a big role in supporting the younger characters; without encouragement, there's bound to be loss of motivation.

Bart’s characterization is again, motivated visually by Eddy and Lou’s coincidental “police action”. Like a ten year-old, he is easily influenced by the surrounding situation; in “Bart gets an ‘F’”, he actually attempted to study with concentration so he can pass 4th grade. This is also reasonable characterization; once again, he’s like a ten year old boy who recognizes police officers as a really “cool” career to follow. We can also see in earlier episodes, that he is quite popular among the fourth grade class, thus he feels a sense of superiority over the other kids— this non-superficially explains his content over being authority as a hall monitor. In the quotation from the episode, “I got my first taste of authority... (Rubs his hands) And I liked it!” kind of hints that Bart wanted a taste of authority even prior to the aptitude test. Was his characterization off? A little bit off, but they still share some hidden similarities.

Last of all, why did Bart take the blame for Lisa? On the surface, it seems as if Bart became the false scapegoat, while Lisa takes the benefits. But the episode itself has shown much more than that. Just get yourself prepared to be confused from what I am about to say. I observed the characters behavior in the episode in even more details:
When the ‘bad’ girls offer Lisa a smoke, Lisa hesitates before saying “I’ll smoke it in class.” This reaction perhaps hints that Lisa is still doubtful about her sudden turn in behavior. She later takes the entire teacher’s editions and hides it. When Bart finally discovers that Lisa was behind this, Lisa tries to reason that Bart used to appreciate all the delinquency but ends up crying due to guilt of her wrongdoings—importantly summarizing that Lisa has not really lost all her motivation nor former conscience.
Meanwhile, Bart is shown the confiscated item room, and catches the crossbow and the fake derriere to be the most amusing and desirable to him—this kind of directs emphasis that he still likes the mischievous pranks and dangers of being delinquent. Bart also shows content after being advocated from his position-- he seems to enjoy criticizing Skinner again. After all, that has been his solid interest all along.

Now we have two things that make of this significant scene; Bart still has his delinquent side but due to his authority and ties with Skinner, he does not display much of it. When Bart sees Lisa crying, he also sees that Lisa is like her old conscientious self-- he knew that if Skinner caught Lisa red-handed, she’d be taken away of her motivations. Once Bart found the tiny speck of Lisa’s former self, he steps in to take the blame also to revert himself to his old delinquent self (Which if you read between the lines, he had his mind slightly weighted towards delinquency throughout). In the end he finally says that Lisa had the “brains, the talent to go as far as [she] wants”.
Bart’s support had given Lisa the hopes to continue on and pursue her dream career; on the other hand, he is quite content at the fact of being his prank-filled self. The dynamics in the episode's ending was that Bart’s sacrifice was greatly done to motivate Lisa but as well as provide himself the joy of being a prankster once again.

I am perhaps over-thinking, and the writers probably did not create these details intentionally. The only thing that’s a little faulty here would be the fact that Lisa’s conscience did not tell her to speak of the truth—but again we are all scared to admit our wrongdoings. This is quite a natural behavior in my opinion as it adds to the realism of emotions.

Alright, enough about the characters! As for the general plot line and structures, it had a pretty smooth overall execution, and most definitely establishes emotional conflicts very well. The dialogues are quite well written, and the humor behind the episode is quite well done, for me, most notably:
• “Come on, Bart. In your pre-fascist days, you knew the giddy thrill of futile rebellion!” Bart answers, “Yeah, but even I had my limits…”
• “That’s right man, I got my first taste of authority, and I loved it!”
• “Children, I know this is highly irregular, but for the rest of the uh day, Martin will be teaching this class.” Martin responds, “I will, but I wouldn’t know where to begin!”, “Just do it brainiac!”
• “Seymour, I'll bet you a steak dinner those books are still here. All we have to do is search every locker”, “Oh Bart; I'm not sure random locker searches are permitted by the Supreme Court”, “Pfffffft. Supreme Court. What have they done for us lately?
• The particular scene involving Ms. Hoover quizzing Lisa on the homework pages.
• Lisa says “If you think it's so great, why don't YOU join the band?”
• The humor behind the characterization of the Simpson kids was outstanding.
Well played dialogues! This episode also proves to be a fairly good Bart/Skinner episode, primarily because of the dynamic shift of feelings towards one another. For one, Skinner finds Bart's accountability high and Bart is on the side of the law, but uses his powers abusively, similar to Skinner's. Bart and Lisa's sibling relations have also strengthened through the flexing traits, making this episode perfectly illustrates emotional realism on The Simpsons.

The ratings (at long last)--
I'd say the sentimentality and deeper characterizations have given this episode a high 4.5/5, one of season 3's best and perhaps more insightful episode.

Last edited:
Back