How Would You Rate "Little Girl in the Big Ten" (DABF15)

How would you rate DABF15

• 5/5 "Contagious? Outrageous!"

Votes: 116 47.2%
  • 4/5 "Charish these moments, Homer."

Votes: 80 32.5%
  • 3/5 "Mosquiter bites are good luck!"

Votes: 25 10.2%
  • 2/5 "Rude, full-scaled joke."

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • 1/5 "Who wants to put on a leotard and get screamed at?"

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters
Even though this episode was very funny in parts I didn't find the story very convincing and the climax was pretty weak (there a couple of good jokes: the plaque, agnes). Lisa's parts were much superior to Bart's. Her experiences at Uni were nicely developed and most of her scenes were amusing. There were lots of other funny moments such as Krusty's work camp, the East German coach and Ralph, just Ralph. The bubble stuff was lame, as was the panda virus close-up. I wasn't that fond of the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon.

3/5

While I don't find the episode any worse than 3/5 on a repeat viewing, I found this alt.tv.simpsons review from when the episode originally aired that's amazing:

So, season thirteen's third and final chance to write an episode about Lisa
was in "Little Girl in the Big Ten" (DABF15). To my surprise, this episode is completely focused on her.
Seeing as she is a main character and all, it is nice that she got the
spotlight in at least one of the season's tw+---enty-two episodes.
Let me begin reviewing DABF15 with the bottom line. The bottom line is that
this episode was an olive branch extended to people like me by the
producers.

My problem is that this olive branch is made of table scraps. They are at
last willing to acknowledge that a considerable portion of their viewers
enjoy high-brow humor and character drama, even in the unlikely medium of an
animated cartoon show. Most of the people who appreciate this level of
maturity are also fans of Lisa. So, the producers reason, let us give them
what they want. Let's put Lisa into a dramatic plot.

Never mind that the entire remainder of the season is a monument to the mob;
I was thrilled that they took the trouble at all to acknowledge the
existence of chums like me. However, the way in which they executed this
peace offering leaves so much to be desired that I cannot say I enjoyed the
episode.

Mainly, I am disenchanted by the basic premise. Matt Groening once described
Lisa as his favorite character because she was the only one who would ever
escape Springfield. As a shooting range for piercing our cultural foibles,
Springfield is a hell of a town. But as a town where real people might live,
it is a curse. In a moment of lucid parenthood, Homer once said to her, "You
'll have lots of special people in your life. There's probably some place
where they all get together and the food is real good, and guys like me are
serving drinks."

In DABF15, she actually got to experience that. Had time flowed, she would
be nineteen years old now, and likely in college. For a few minutes, she got
to enjoy her version of paradise.

My problem with this is that it is a rather severe short-circuit. Our lives
are defined by the struggles we confront every day. To put a little girl
into college is blasphemy to the ten years left to her adolescence. I myself
looked forward to college since I was eleven, for many of the same reasons
she does. However, had I simply been placed in college when I was eleven, I
would have been spared the very struggles which now make my college
experience so rewarding. To give Lisa a ten-year shortcut and put her in
college now is blasphemy to the idea that she needs to earn her place in a
society where her intellect can be appreciated, blasphemy to the idea that
people need to work for their victories, since a victory dealt freely is not
a victory at all. To quote an overused aphorism, you cannot have your cake
and eat it too. We relate to Lisa because we sympathize with the challenges
that fill her life. Should she be given the easy out that no one in real
life ever enjoys, there would be an estrangement of kinship.

The episode contains many other deficiencies. For one thing, it is a good
example of how the writers tend to recycle jokes from previous episodes.
When it came to publicly humiliating Principal Skinner, I yawned, because it
has been done so many times. However, when Lisa rolled off Bart's bubble in
the elaborately illustrated climax, I suddenly wondered if Lisa would miss,
land flat on her face, and suffer yet another one of Life's crippling
defeats. I could see many rich paths leading from such a scenario, but
instead, and very predictably, she landed perfectly on the cake and Skinner
got splattered. Boring, boring, boring. Lame, dull, trite.

Milton once said that it is better to rule in hell than serve in heaven. At
episode's end Lisa chooses just that, by striving for the respect of people
who mean nothing to her and who in fact will be lambasting her braininess in
class later that day. For the sake of returning the show to point zero for
next week's episode, Lisa is forced to abandon her college affiliations.
After leaving the campus she never makes an effort to return. This is all
bad form on her part, and I fault the writers.

Homer's drinking song and Ralph's on-screen urination, along with the flat
scene at Krusty's sweatshop and the rather uninspired and repetitive jokes
thrown into Bart's plot, make for an episode the fails on many levels. Bart
did nothing original in his bubble. It was a waste of airtime, and yet who
of you noticed that the promotions for the episode mentioned nothing of the
main plot, but instead Bart's bubble story? The writers may have been
willing to give its harshest critics a bone, but they sure as hell did not
want the average viewer to know about that until it was too late to plan to
watch something else.

Although this episode is handled with relatively provocative storytelling and a few mild laughs, I'm turned off by its botched up message. Lisa actually finds communion with her new college friends, which makes me disappointed they never forgive her after Milhouse reveals her age. In the real world, it's probably unlikely that an 8-year old girl would become friends with people more than twice her age, but Lisa's level of intelligence pretty much surpasses even theirs. Before they even knew she was only eight, the college students reciprocated excellently with her. From a pragmatic standpoint, then, she should have been able to at least explain her isolation within her age group, such her college friends would eventually come to forgive her for. That honestly would have made for a far more interesting resolution, trying to overcome an age barrier, which presents opportunities for obstacles of its own.

Instead, Lisa is forever shunned away from her more fitting group of friends and gains the respect of her fellow elementary school students by causing a prank that completely denies her personality. What this pretty much states is that conformity always wins the day, even if it means sacrificing your moral integrity. You could make the argument that the writers are simply making a positive statement about childhood versus maturity, but the fact of the matter is, Lisa never enjoyed juvenile behavior before and allowed herself to not have any close friends. Before, she was a tough and stubborn spirit who expressed her idealistic passions even at the cost of her popularity. By turning her into just another kid at Springfield Elementary, the ending of this episode severely weakens her character. At least in Separate Vocations, Lisa pranked the school after her personal dreams had been completely shattered, thus crumbling her sense of identity. Here, she's just causing a prank in order to woo the other students and become popular. In Summer of 4 feet 2, Lisa had to reluctantly step out of her comfort zone just to feel like she could make friends and struggled to act like somebody she wasn't. Here, she doesn't even have to think twice about doing something that I'd expect Bart to undergo. Thankfully, the Lisa as of the end of the episode has been absent since, but I'm really disappointed, because this could've been one of Season 13's best had the third act taken a different approach.

I agree that the episode pales in comparison to something like "Summer of 4 Ft. 2" which dealt with these same feelings of alienation from Lisa much better. If we're being charitable, we could argue that Lisa is making the most of her lot in life. Thanks to her parents, continuing to attend college is not an option, but acceptance from her grade school compatriots might be. It's not particularly deft, I'll certainly give you that, and some sort of acceptance from her gymnast friends would have been nice, but I don't think it's necessarily that terrible of a message.

I recently did a big write up about this episode, and I think it's emblematic of this period under Al Jean. It's kind of a strange mish mash of other periods. You have some of the wit, humor, and heart of the years when Jean ran the show with Mike Reiss, but you also still have a lot of the one-note characters and thin gags leftover from Mike Scully, and you even get a bit of a preview of the solid but toothless style that has characterized many of the modern-day episodes under him. I rewatched the episode, and it just struck me how much the episode was a patchwork quilt of different times during the series' run.

Wasent as good as i remembered on a rewatch. Some funny moments and the animation is great in parts but i just dont find it to be anything that special and i dont particulary care for the third act. Grade: B-

I found it really unsettling when after one of the girls asked Lisa if she lives with any cute guys, she says "Well Bart is kind of...NO!". Of course, it's nothing compared to the cut gag from Make Room For Lisa, where Bart and Lisa are forced to share a room, and they open the drawer with a baby in it and say "Mom and Dad must never know..." :Puke:

I still think that's a reference to a Family Guy cutaway, because there is one that is very similar to that.

Unless it has been confirmed by Scully or anyone else that there is in fact, a deleted gag based around... that...

I still think that's a reference to a Family Guy cutaway, because there is one that is very similar to that.

Unless it has been confirmed by Scully or anyone else that there is in fact, a deleted gag based around... that...

He said in an interview that they wanted to do a gag like that, but it wouldn't make it past the censors.

To be fair, I don't really like the concept of the main plot here. I'm sure the two college students would tell that she isn't... of age. I myself would easily spot that she's just a kid. 'I don't trust that girl with that big bottle of formaldehyde...'

The 'It's Lisa! And she's winning us back' ending is a huge disappointment. It's just so bizarre. Surely she didn't have that many friends in the first place? Why would she care if most of the school disliked her? :confused:
'Those this thing suck or blow - suuuuuuuuuuuuck' right at the end was funny though.

Though this episode does have its share of laughs. Coach Lugash is as hilarious (if not more) as he was in 'Children of a Lesser Clod'. I find the subplot quite fun too, and the Itchy and Scratchy was great.

The episode visually looks amazing, as Lauren McMullan's episodes always do... and that helps push the grade up.

C

Last edited:
Great episode, much like Half-Decent Proposal sort of ruined by a third act that could had been a lot better but the first two acts were amazing, great Lisa story with plenty of hilarious college refrences and other hilarious stuff, the animation looks very flashy through the episode, just a pleasure too look at, hilarious and well-written episode, the third act kept it from being a true masterpiece but still a great episode. Grade: A/A-

4/5

Good:

-The Kennedy being in hell joke.
-Loved the nostalgia happy meal
-Hans Moleman posing as a college student
-I liked the rowdy cheering crowd at the poetry reading
-Groundskeeper Willie
-Skinner's Mom at his ceremony

Bad:

-I thought the ending was weak, and totally out of character for Lisa to humiliate principal skinner like that.
-I thought the bubble side story was pretty mediocre

Ugly:

-Ralph was annoying in this episode

And so we bid a fond farewell to Marcia Mitz-gavin in her final episode of the simpsons

other than that I didn't like this episode, I was more invested in Bart's, god I hope Lisa didn't catch any of what Bart had that was left in the bubble

and once again Milhouse ruins everything for Lisa

Amazing episode. Seeing Lisa in an environment she could flourish in was such a nice change of pace. Jon Vitti is an amazing writer, I knew it was gonna be great when I saw his name.
~
• It couldn’t be mange, I just had him dipped (LMFAO)
• Barts song when he saves the nerds from getting beat up
5/5 A+

I really enjoyed this episode, but, there's one thing about it that bothers me. Lisa takes private gymnastic lessons to avoid failing gym and she meets Tina and Carrie, who are also taking the class and they are also college students. After they asked her if she's in college, she tells them that she is and she begins to hang out with them on campus. One day, Lisa snuck out of school during recess and Milhouse, along with Martin and Database, decided to spy on her. When they got to the campus, the professor told them to leave, saying that kids aren't allowed. Martin and Database left, but, Milhouse stayed behind and outed Lisa to the entire class, which led to Tina and Carrie shunning her and her running away crying.

This situation reminds me of "Summer of 4 Ft. 2", where Lisa also befriended others by concealing her true identity. In that episode, Bart, fueled by jealousy, exposes Lisa's nerdy accomplishments to her beach friends, causing her to run away in tears. Subsequently, Bart feels remorse and tries to reconcile with his sister. Surprisingly, Lisa's beach friends still admire her despite her deception. However, in the case of her college friends, they completely sever ties with Lisa upon discovering her real age, never to be seen or mentioned again in the series. While Lisa did lie about her age, it's worth noting that Tina and Carrie initially assumed she was older, putting her on the spot. Unlike Bart in "Summer of 4 Ft. 2", Milhouse had no reason for him to act that way in this episode. It doesn't make any sense for him to expose Lisa like that at all. If he had a motive for outing and exposing her, it still would be unjustified, but, it would at least make sense.

I know that Lisa eventually finds a way to fix the situation that she was in, thanks to Bart's help, but, Milhouse's actions really bothered me and I felt sorry for her and how she wasn't able to make amends with Tina and Carrie, especially since she connected so well with them. That was a blemish for me in an enjoyable episode. Other than that, everything else was good.

Last edited:
Back