Blue hair

D’ohboy

I sleep in a racecar bed. Do YOU?
Hey guys, I have a question about The Simpsons that I’ve been wondering about for a while. Is blue a natural hair color in the Simpsons universe? I mean, I can’t really see Chief Wiggum or the Blue-Haired Lawyer dyeing their hair wacky colors, and even Milhouse’s eyebrows are blue. But I’m not sure.

Flashbacks to Marge's childhood always show her with blue hair as well:
1196961.jpg

I sincerely doubt anyone would ever dye a baby's hair like that, so yeah, I'm sure blue's a natural colour in the Simpsons world. I think all the gags about her dying her hair are a reference to the fact that she's gone prematurely grey.

Flashbacks to Marge's childhood always show her with blue hair as well:
1196961.jpg

I sincerely doubt anyone would ever dye a baby's hair like that, so yeah, I'm sure blue's a natural colour in the Simpsons world. I think all the gags about her dying her hair are a reference to the fact that she's gone prematurely grey.
Agreed, I think other Simpsons characters like sideshow Bob, sideshow Mel, Krusty, and anyone else with whacky hair colors are also their natural shade, not dyed. I chalked that up as Groening’s stylization like the yellow skin.
Krusty had the same color young, plus here’s him with his daughter:
IMG_5043.jpeg
Seems to be a hereditary thing.

Personally I like to think that due to the shoddy running of the Power plant and how radiation does whatever the hell you want it to in radiation, the characters with blue or purple hair are natural and just have some mutated gene that causes it.

Reminded of Marge in chains claiming Midge had webbed toes.

Personally I like to think that due to the shoddy running of the Power plant and how radiation does whatever the hell you want it to in radiation, the characters with blue or purple hair are natural and just have some mutated gene that causes it.
Makes me wonder if anyone outside of the Springfieldians have whacky colored hair? None of the guest stars do. Then again, some of the backgrounds from New York and Capital city have that as well:
IMG_5044.jpeg
IMG_5046.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg
So maybe nevermind… or maybe those cities are equally radiation polluted

Well, as a wise website once said, you gotta have blue hair.

But yeah, I guess the reason this show has lot of characters with blue hair is due to the staff & crew finding it an eyecatching color, not too dissimilar to how the characters have yellow skin due to how it is noticeable & sets the show apart from other cartoons. But that's the real-life explanation; I guess the in-universe one is probably just due to how blue is a hair color that commonly exists. 

Last edited:
Marge has blue hair, Homer had brown hair, but the kids have blond/yellow/skin colour hair
Also child Marge's hair went brown in brown in "The Way We Weren't".

Reminded of Marge in chains claiming Midge had webbed toes.
It's a funny thought, but don't Marge and the Bouvier family originally come from outside of Springfield?

It's a funny thought, but don't Marge and the Bouvier family originally come from outside of Springfield?
I’m pretty sure, yes. There was a very very brief moment in the episode Wedding For Disaster where we see Homer and Marge’s places of birth. Homer being Springfield and Marge being Capital City.

There's also her line in Lisa the Iconoclast about her family having to choose between Springfield or Stenchburg when they moved to the state, but I guess she could've been talking about something that happened before she was born in that case.

Marge has blue hair, Homer had brown hair, but the kids have blond/yellow/skin colour hair
Also child Marge's hair went brown in brown in "The Way We Weren't".
I do wonder where Lisa/Bart/Maggie's blonde hair comes from, considering no-one else in the family shares it. My guess is that Grampa was originally intended to be the genetic originator of it, with his pointy skin colour hair like the kids have, but all flashbacks show him previously having brown hair like Homer's used to be, so that doesn't really carry. Unless he used to dye it I suppose?

Also, Marge's hair was burnt brown in The Way We Weren't.

In the episode Bart after dark, Marge says to Belle, that they are third generation Springfieldians. I think Marge refers to the Bouvier family.

In the episode Bart after dark, Marge says to Belle, that they are third generation Springfieldians. I think Marge refers to the Bouvier family.
GET OUT OF MY TOWN! (Lol)

Back