talk about 'simple simpson' which airs next week in this very thread.

Stackhouse

bring the noise
FABF15 - Simple Simpson - Written by Jon Vitti - Confirmed Airdate: May 2, 2004
Homer confronts Springfield's evildoers in the form of his crime fighting alter-ego, the Pie Man. But when Mr. Burns unmasks him and exposes his secret identity, Homer is blackmailed into tossing a pie at – of all people – the Dalai Lama. Nichelle Nichols (of Star Trek fame) guests.

oh..
well, talk about it here.

hopefully vitti can raise the bar from his last episode, 'marge vs. everyone'

Where's that guy that always does the preview threads for episodes? What's his name again? Toothy Joe?

Anyway, I'm expecting this episode to be pretty funny, although there's always the danger of excessive wackiness. To tell the truth, I don't know what to think- while I'm expecting good things this could easily turn out to be bad. I'm optimistic about the whole thing, though.

Wait, Jon Vitti wrote "Marge vs. SSCCATAG"? Dear God, I used to like his episodes.

This episode sounds like yet another "Homer changes his ways and does something right/helpful" episode (Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge, Jaws Wired Shut, Hungry Hungry Homer, Children of a Lesser Clod, I Am Furious Yellow and probably more).

Yet they've all been great episodes. So as long as they execute the episode in a slightly different way to each of the others, I'm optimistic.

Last edited:
McStinkalot said:
The show hasn't produced a stinker in awhile. Its got to come around sometime...

*waits for an ignorant reply from Dennis to this one*

I think it could be really good, if done correctly. CBG, Fat Tony, Colonel Tex and Burns as the bad guys sounds good.

I've said this many times, but the days of the early season 14 blunders are long gone, IMO. There've been episodes like Pray Anything, Dude Where's My Ranch, Co-Dependents Day, but I still enjoy them to an extent, usually in the 3/5 range.

Say, this episode description sounds like one of those episode descriptions that sound lame and turn out to be great.

I don't think there's much to worry about here. Jon Vitti is a classy writer and has a good track record with wacky gag related episodes (Mr. Plow, Brother from the Same Planet, Cape Feare, The Old Man & The Key, Weekend at Burnsie's). The only problem with "Marge vs. SSCCATAG", his first average episode in a long time, was that the episode tried to have a point but the satire was irrelevant and absurd. It was otherwise a very funny episode (especially the first half) and had a sort of classic era feel to it, much like Vitti's three season thirteen efforts. This episode just sounds like a fun adventure with lots of opportunity for Vitti-style parody and wacky gags. And as long as the Burns unmasks thing and subsequent events aren't contrived or overly formulaic, it should turn out well.

*Post subject to EDIT on day of airing.

I've actually grown to like "Marge vs. SSCCATAG". There's definitely some quality material in there, and it takes a couple of viewings to pick apart. The pacifier passing scene is worth the watch in itself. I also think the episode is directed quite well (I don't remember who directed it, but the facial expressions and gestures throughout are very good).

Jon Vitti also wrote "Weekend at Burnsies", "The Old Man and the Key" and "Little Girl in the Big Ten" (right?), which were top faves of mine in season 13.

I loved Marge vs. Everyone from the first time I saw it (actually the only time I saw it). The only thing that really bugs me about some of the newer episodes is things thrown into the plot line just because they can be ther (guest stars, current events).

I'm getting a bad feeling about this episode, but hopefully it'll prove me wrong.

Call me crazy but I'm honestly not worried about this one at all. I guess I've partially come to not expect too many duds anymore, but to be honest I'm legitimately looking forward to this one a lot. It somehow seems like it will end up being a lot of fun and filled with clever and hilarious moments. Vitti credit doesn't hurt.

Also notice that in the promo, when Homer first swings his cape you can see the town hall or something in the background with a sign welcoming the Dalai Lama. And finally at the end of the promo you can see Bart in costume too.

The Pie Man? I don't know, it just seems so weird. I have my reservations about this one. I am expecting to see a Batman parody in this one since the show has done several of those in the past.

Although a "bad" episode this season still strikes me as not being as bad as a "bad" episode during the Scully era so even if it isn't a great episode, it'll still have some great moments in it I'm sure.

I was very disappointed with Marge VS. Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples, Teens and Gays. Not just the failed satire, but it was bland and unfunny and the plot meandered like a lost mongerel.

I believe that Simple Simpson will be the Homer's Enemy of this season, dividing opinions 50:50 between the fans. It'll be the definitive love-hate episode of recent years. It sounds like it'll be a wacky, laugh-til-the-end episode, which would be....good, I guess.

At first, I was sceptical, but I actually think this will be good stuff. It should be a very good laugh-out-loud episode, which I actually think has been missing for a while. Which is good.

I do like Homer's Enemy. I love it. I'm just saying that it's one of those episodes that half the people love, and the other half loathe to bits.

It's a shame Dalai Lama won't do a voice cameo. It could have been even bigger than Tony Blair guest starring. And we all now Lisa Simpson also wants a free Tibet, so...

Maybe he's angry with the way Buddah was portrayed in "'Tis the Fifteenth Season".

Last edited:
I'm David Croket! said:
It's a shame Dalai Lama won't do a voice cameo. It could have been even bigger than Tony Blair guest starring. And we all now Lisa Simpson also wants a free Tibet, so...

Maybe he's angry with the way Buda was portrayed in "'Tis the Fifteenth Season".

The Dalai Lama's a Buhddist???!!!!

It looks awesome by the previews. This season IMO has only put out 2 excellent episodes so far (President wore Pearls, Tis the 15th Season) So I hope for at least 1 more A+ episode sometime now, lately everything has been really 3/5, C+ish.

Homer's enemy's like one of the best episodes (imo). It's been the favourite episode of two of my friends who are like 2 of the other biggest simpsons fans in the school ... I hope I'm getting on the good side of this episode

On thesimpsons.com under This Week it says "Simple Simpson" airs Sunday May 5th but May 5th is a Wednesday...is this just a typo?

Back