Ricky's a right Charlie in the Simpsons

Jukka

robot needs oil
published at http://www.simpsonsfolder.com
--
Ricky's a right Charlie in the Simpsons
Last updated 15 June 2005
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/entertainment/050615_rickygervais.shtml

Ricky Gervais has been exclusively telling Radio 1 about his experiences writing and recording an episode of 'The Simpsons'.

He spent a week out in LA doing the recording. He said it was a dream come true for him and he even told us he may be going back:

"Amazing, it was like I'd won a competition. In a room with Homer and Marge - it was fantastic."

"I was intimidated thinking 'These people are so talented and versatile and I'm gonna come up with a squeaky little English voice."

"After we finished they said, 'Do you wanna come back?'. Maybe they say that but then they lock the door and go 'Right, change the phone number'."

"Maybe they didn't mean it. Maybe they were just humouring me. Maybe they say that to everyone."

Radio 1 can also reveal the name of the episode and the character Ricky will be playing in the episode of The Simpsons he's written.

It will be called 'Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife' and the character Ricky has voiced is called Charles.

The new episode will be part of the 17th season of 'The Simpsons' and will be shown Sky One later in the year or early next year.

Anyone want to speculate on the episode title? It sounds suspiciously like a pun on 'This Is Your Life' which I don't know if Americans have an equivalent of. Maybe a flashback episode?

I'm sure it's an episode dealing with their marriage. We heard a while ago that there would be a character singing a love song to Marge. And the title supports the marriage idea. I wonder if what he said a while ago about the episode involving chimps was true. :P

So, Homer begins to ignore Marge until she catches the eye of a handsome young guy name Charlie who flatters her with affection and gifts, leaving Homer fuming with rage and jealousy.

Hey, I was right about She Used to Be My Girl, when everyone else was still calling it the gay marriage ep, was I not?

can't wait. the office was the most brilliantly written show in history so i'm really looking forward to this one.

Curtis the Jackass said:
who the hell is Ricky Gervais?

A very popular Bristish comedian. He won a Golden Globe in the US for his comedy, "The Office."

I can't wait for this episode - I love The Office and I love The Simpsons. How could this possibly go wrong?

"and will be shown Sky One later in the year or early next year."

Not sure if this is guess work but if it isn't this could mean it could be one of the first few episodes shown as in the UK we are always behind and sometimes a long time behind the US...

Vox Nerduli said:
So, Homer begins to ignore Marge until she catches the eye of a handsome young guy name Charlie who flatters her with affection and gifts, leaving Homer fuming with rage and jealousy.

Hey, I was right about She Used to Be My Girl, when everyone else was still calling it the gay marriage ep, was I not?

I OBJECT.

I did not go along with that crowd, I was always of the opinion that marrying would be an episode produced in season 16.

Drunk Barney said:
"and will be shown Sky One later in the year or early next year."

Not sure if this is guess work but if it isn't this could mean it could be one of the first few episodes shown as in the UK we are always behind and sometimes a long time behind the US...

Going for "early next year", as this will certainly be a HABF and we might not hit the HABFs until 2006...

I think people here are overreacting about this episode, remember, a writer does not reflect the quality of the episode.

if there is one thing the simpsons has lacked recently in my opinion is writing talent, the writers really haven't delivered anything exceptional. writing is a very important part of the episode and gervais is an excellent writer so lets see what happens...

Have you seen his stand up though, it's very uneven stuff. I hope Merhcant wrote it with him.
But even so the writing credit doesn't mean that much with the simpsons, as we've established time after time after time.

i doubt merchant wrote it with him otherwise i think he'd be credited.

it will be interesting to see how gervais takes on this character of himself. he has openly admitted that david brent was basically himself and i think that's one of the reasons why the office was so good, so we'll probably get different results from a character that is foreign to him...

Homer Jay said:
I think people here are overreacting about this episode, remember, a writer does not reflect the quality of the episode.

I agree. I don't see how this is much different from "Life on the Fast Lane" or "Diatribe of a Mad Housewife" or any other episode where Homer gets jealous of Marge for liking someone else.

I'll still be looking forward to it... Gervais _is_ pretty talented.

Handsome Peter said:
I agree. I don't see how this is much different from "Life on the Fast Lane" or "Diatribe of a Mad Housewife" or any other episode where Homer gets jealous of Marge for liking someone else.

I'll still be looking forward to it... Gervais _is_ pretty talented.
First of all, we don't know for sure that that's the entire plot. Also, Homer didn't actually do anything out of jealousy in those episodes, other than ask Ned for advice on how to be a better husband. And other than the intentional mislead at the end of Diatribe, he was never mad or anything, just oblivious and then sad. So it could easily be different, if that is the plot. Oh, and I never said anything about Marge liking the guy back.

Back