Bad Classic Era Episodes?

Curse You Magic Beans

Junior Camper
Well Guys the reaction to Yesterday's post absolutely blew me away thank you all for sharing now let's do just the opposite getting into far-out situations involving hot takes and arguements (also you can't win things by watching) now are there any Classic Era Episodes that we're a little cooler on and are less enthuastic about the first few years of the show were amazing but they also had their clunkers here and there now I'm sure this thread has been done mutliple times before and TheRealJims did a whole video on this topic I just wanted to do a little bit of a sequel to my other Classic Era arguement because again getting up to 20 reponses in one day was crazy Anyway without further ado Argue Away

In the past, I had a few, but after a recent rewatch, I only have one, that been Secrets of a Successful Marriage

In the past, I had a few, but after a recent rewatch, I only have one, that been Secrets of a Successful Marriage
Aw no I'm sorry that would be on my list of Classic Era episodes that deserve more love but I understand why though Homer was such an asshole in that episode

Last edited:
Points vaguely downwards.

If I was going to rank them in order from best to worse it'd be:

Brother from the Same Planet (s4 is so dang incredibly good, and I had to pick something, so might as well be the Tom Cruise vehicle that didn't entirely work) > Summer of 4 ft 2 (objectively actually good, this is just my personal unresolved childhood trauma making me not like it due to jealousy and resentment, also there's the probem that s7 is maybe even better then s4 making it really hard to find an alternative) > The Otto Show (I wish the rest of this ep was anywhere near as good as the opening Spinal Tap stuff was) > Homer’s Odyssey (gets a bit of a pass cause it's s1 and it's so very early days) > Homer Goes to College (I suspect you need to have seen way more US college comedies to appreciate what this is doing, I get it, he's emulating the dumb characters in those movies, I just don't ever find it to be funny) > Burns Baby Burns (see my comment about US college movies but replace it with anything this Rodney guy has ever done) > The War of the Simpsons (bad marriage crisis ep is bad, yes Secrets is even worse in that respect, but Secrets has still got much funnier jokes than Homer goes to College) > Homer vs. Patty and Selma (Genuinely awful, but even this has the great line delivery about Homer being worse than Hitler)

Only other one worth mentioning is the usual whipping boy of the golden age which is My Sister, My Sitter which I'd probably slot in between Summer and the Otto Show. Very funny in places but also kinda bleak and rather contrived.

Last edited:
Krusty episodes were overrated but not bad
I think Krusty works better as a secondary character

Another Simpsons clip show was bad

I don't think there are bad golden age Simpsons episodes, but some of the least good ones IMO:

Marge in Chains. It has a bunch of good jokes, but the story just isn't told in a super engaging way. It also ends very uncerimoniously. I dunno, there is just no punch to the story in this episode in my opinion.

Team Homer. Again, I just don't find the story very engaging. It lacks an emotional core. Which granted is also the case for some fantastic episodes like Cape Feare, but that's because they make up for it by being relentlessly energetic and funny. Team Homer is decent in the jokes department, but not great.

Homerpalooza. Maybe the very weakest pre-season 8 or even pre-season 9 episode. Too much focus on making sure that every guest celebrity has at least a few lines/jokes, at the expense of the main characters. Also, while one shouldn't judge something that was fairly original when it came out due to the fact that it spawned something that became overdone later on, it's really difficult for me not to see this epsiode as a blueprint for Scully-era and Jean-era Simpsons "Homer gets a wacky new job" episodes.

Marge in Chains. It has a bunch of good jokes, but the story just isn't told in a super engaging way. It also ends very uncerimoniously. I dunno, there is just no punch to the story in this episode in my opinion.
I understand everybody's problems with this episode in general Apu's a total asshole to Marge for no reason like he knew it was accident and yet he's like we're putting that bitch on ice and yeah the story becomes predictable from a mile away but for me this has always been one my of favorite episodes of Season 4 parishally because Lionel Hutz is frickin amazing in this episode like this is my favorite Phil Hartman performance on the show ever to be fair this episode as a whole has some great jokes but give me this guy instead but yeah otherwise IDK if I've being too nice to this one or not in general and genuinely not the worst episode of Season 4 that definitely goes it's previous episode Whacking Day for me but yeah I respect your opinion and agree this episode has flaws

Last edited:
Back