Would you rather have Homer or Flanders as a neighbor?

Flanders or Homer as a neighbor

• Homer

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Flanders

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

Cult of Ralph

Junior Camper
Al Jean once insinuated that he and many of the Simpsons writers would rather have Flanders as a neighbor than Homer, but who would you all choose? Both of them have positive and negative qualities. Still, in the long run I would choose Ned Flanders if I had to have either one of them as a neighbor. Don't get me wrong. I don't like how Flanders can sometimes be pushy about his beliefs. I don't like that he is close-minded to different religions and that he hates science. All those attributes of Flanders are very bothersome to me. But, in the long run, despite his flaws, Flanders is a very kind and caring man. I wouldn't have to worry about him having loud parties next door, or stealing my stuff, or borrowing it and never giving it back. If I needed a hand, I could count on Flanders to help me out, whereas I couldn't depend on Homer. So, out of the two, who would you choose for a neighbor and why?

Flanders so I can mooch off of and steal things from, and he wouldn't do anything about it

homer would just be bathing in kiddie pools in the front yard. no thanks

Easily Flanders. All I would want from neighbors is for them not to bother me, and I think he’d do that less than Homer.

Living next door to Homer would be terrible. I would be neighbors with Moe before Homer.

Flanders, no doubt about it. I think it should be self-explanatory why Homer would be an awful neighbour.

Which era are we talking? I might take Classic Homer over Post-Classic Ned, but Classic Ned is probably going to be the most pleasant option.

Definitely Ned Flanders.

I mean, living next door to the Homer and the Simpson family would be fun at first, but I can imagine that the novelty of that would wear off real fast.

Ned is written (or at least in the older episodes anyway) as the perfect neighbour. He's considerate of others, friendly, and is willing to let his neighbours borrow things (although I don't think I'mas mean as Homer to just keep them).

Plus, remember Homer imagining the horror of living next door to himself?

af6wzsZ.gif

g3YVWaU.gif

jHHY9xy.gif

Phy1LKK.gif

Know what the worst part of living next to Homer is? Not only is he abusive to Flanders, he's taught his kids to do the same. EVEN LISA seems to find it funny. What does that tell you?
Oh, and let's not forget Marge. Ned literally saves her family from homelessness, and the moment he doesn't come round to fix something in their house she immediately expects Homer to attack him for her. It's actually kind of disgusting how they treat him.

for classic era only, I'd honestly prefer Homer. I keep myself to myself and I disconnect the phone, and classic Homer basically just wants to be left alone. One Flanders bbq would be fun, having him constantly come up with shit like that would be a pain in my loner ass.

For the modern era, definitely Flanders seeing as they've seemingly toned down the religious zealot aspects recently. Now if this were say, Season 17, I'd choose Homer because I'd rather live next to some asshole who makes a lot of noise than a well-meaning dude who wants to save my soul without my permission, but that's just me. Well-meaning Flanders>Jerkass Homer, Jerkass Homer>Religious Zealot Flanders; Classic Homer>Classic Flanders only because I'm a loner and a jerk

Ned Flanders, pretty easily. Having Homer as your neighbor could be uneventful, yes, but he could easily turn annoying, bothersome and intrusive & drag you into something bad, while Ned respects his neighbors and his nice and friendly demeanor definitely wins out (and with Homer even imagining that having himself as his neighbor would be bad seals the deal even more), unless he tries to force himself into your life by doing what he thinks is good for your which has happened in the post-classic era.

Back