Would you like to see the classic episodes remastered with HD animation?

John Smith 1882

My mistake
What if they re-released all the classic era episodes completely remastered, including the intros and credits, in HD animation just like the current show? What would you think of that?

Also, what if they re-recorded the dialog and re-casted some characters, like they have with Carl?

Last edited:
Most people would dislike it, but I actually wouldn’t mind. Perhaps the animation is “stiffer,” but I also like its clean crispness. Still, the change in animation over the years would be lost, and it’s kind of interesting to see that.

Season 1 episodes are surely going to look weird if they did that. For some seasons, like Season 6, I would like to see it, but I'm not really a fan of the intros. I would prefer to watch them in their older version, but I don't have any problems with other people watching it.

Most people would dislike it, but I actually wouldn’t mind. Perhaps the animation is “stiffer,” but I also like its clean crispness. Still, the change in animation over the years would be lost, and it’s kind of interesting to see that.

There'd still be a change in voice acting over the years, unless they re-recorded the dialog too. Imagine if they re-casted some character's voice actors, like they did with Carl?

yeah and they should re animate all instances of guns in the show with walkie talkies too

nah i much prefer the rougher animation, id much rather they just upscale the picture quality without reanimating

Maybe they should rewrite them too, make them more consistent with what we’ve seen in later episodes. (Homer as the straight man in “There’s No Disgrace Like Home” will have to be retooled, for example).

Well, I wouldn't have a big problem if they ever decided to remaster some of their classic episodes. I am putting emphasis on "some", because as [MENTION=86919]Trab Pu Kcip[/MENTION] stated, not every non-HD era episode can work reanimated with HD animation. I believe that maybe seasons that they didn't really bother with the animation, like seasons 5-6 do need remastering and even episodes from the Scully and early Jean era need that too. However, like I said, not every episode can feel the same after remastering the animation. It can take away almost everything that made it a good episode: The humour, the aesthetic, the vibe, the general feeling etc.

But I believe that this is a little pointless to discuss since...well...the show is over 30 years old and in those 30+ years, fans of the show have watched a lot of the classic era episodes (The hardcore ones all of them, heh) at least 2 or 3 times due to reruns. It would be weird if say, someone decides to watch "Lisa's Substitute" one day and they suddenly bump into the revamped version of the episode. Actually, maybe this isn't the best example I could give...but you get my point! Not everyone reacts in the same way to sudden changes. Not everyone is a hardcore fan of the show! Not everyone does regular research on possible news and changes to the show and not everyone keeps up with it. Some fans might like those changes, others not.

Some things are better to be left alone and most of the classic episodes of the show is one of them!

As for re-recording the dialog or recasting...I believe that would be a really bad idea, especially now! There have been countless discussions on this board about the voice actors and actresses having aged and the characters not sounding like themselves anymore. Do you remember how everyone freaked out about white actors no longer being allowed to voice characters from different races, even they have been voicing those characters for 10, 20 or 30 years? I personally wouldn't like abrupt changes without a reason (At least in this recent controversy and the Apu one, there is a law preventing them, but not here) and neither would a lot of fans for the same reason.

Honestly, would you feel like you are watching a classic episode if you heard Marge or Bart's lines re-recorded with the current state of their voice actresses' voices? Or if Alex Borstein did the re-recording of the lines for Lisa? Or if Seth MacFarlane did most of the male voices on the show, instead of Dan Castellaneta and Hank Azaria?

I know I wouldn't!

Morbid curiosity indeed.

I wouldn't want to see any of the classic episodes with the HD art style.. It is certainly crisper but the animation is lacking and most of the time the art itself isn't very pleasing to the eye, there are some episodes where they manage to do something interesting with the rather sterile computer-aided art. What would they fill the void left by switching from the old aspect ratio to the widescreen one? They've ruined jokes going from square to widescreen in the remasters of the old episodes, which actually look pretty good despite that.

I really wonder if all of the fox animation studios share the same tools.. everything is starting to look the same. I have no complaints with anything art related after the first season or season 2, which can be a little rough looking but still very acceptable.

What would be the point? Sell more dvds? Its Malibu Stacy all over again except instead of a hat its the original classics butchered to make a few more bucks. So no. Don't ruin great animation, great stories and a cartoon I've loved since the 5th grade.

No, I don't like the idea of such a projexr. They should just leave the old classic stuff well enough alone. It doesn't need to be remastered with the modern HD animation and I don't have any interest in seeing it. They could try it out with one or two episodes to see how it'd look but I really wouldn't care too much about it and only see it as a curiosity.

I'd be more okay with them reanimating shorter sequences when used as flashbacks instead of lazily reusing the old 4:3 fullscreen scenes with black bars on the sides or cropping the screen (I remember the time they flashed back to Maude's death and it was the former. I think I'd personally prefer if they'd redo short bits like that in the HD style instead).

Disney definitely won't want to let this franchise die after the show ends and the VAs pass away. There will be reboots, spin-offs, remakes/remasters, ect. Like with Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry, Star Trek, Thundercats, DBZ, Sailor Moon, ect. The Simpsons, especially now that it's owned by Disney, is a property where new material of some form or another will continue to be produced for decades, if not centuries, moving forward.

Absolutely not ! We had to wait an eternity to get the garbage widescreen versions of the classic episodes replaced with the original 4:3. The episodes were made for 4:3. End of story.

Last edited:
Back