Worst Season Premiere

John Smith 1882

My mistake
I'm not sure what's a worse premiere - Bonfire of the Manatees or Every Man's Dream. Do you think there's been an even worse premiere?

As for now, IMHO, it's Elementary School Musical.

'Clown In The Dumps' (season 26) or 'Every Man's Dream' (season 27) are the contenders for me. Two seasons in a row that started terribly though I'd go with the latter episode as it's a little worse.

Additionally, my third choice is 'Moonshine River' (not as bad as those two but still pretty dire). When it comes to Mary Spuckler episodes it's nothing against 'Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing' though.

Last edited:
Clown in the Dumps is in the 2nd place of worst premieres, Every Man's Dream is in the 3rd (very nearly to the 2nd).

It's not the worst season premiere, but I think Beyond Blunderdome deserves a dishonorable mention for being the first really poor season premiere. In retrospect it was sort of a sign that the show was going downhill and wasn't going to recover.

My opinion is probably skewed a bit since it's recent, but for me "The Serfsons" is up there. It could've been really creative and a funny send-up of Game of Thrones, but instead of it came across like a cheap imitation of someone else's shallow parody of Games of Thrones, padded out by Harry Potter and general medieval fantasy references.

I'd have to agree that "Elementary School Musical" is a good choice as well. Looking back over the past fifteen seasons, I don't think there's been many (if any) seasons that have opened with one of their strongest episodes of the year.

No season premiere has scored a 5/5 for me since season 9's The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson.

My opinion is probably skewed a bit since it's recent, but for me "The Serfsons" is up there. It could've been really creative and a funny send-up of Game of Thrones, but instead of it came across like a cheap imitation of someone else's shallow parody of Games of Thrones, padded out by Harry Potter and general medieval fantasy references.

I'd have to agree that "Elementary School Musical" is a good choice as well. Looking back over the past fifteen seasons, I don't think there's been many (if any) seasons that have opened with one of their strongest episodes of the year.

I wasn't a big fan of the Serfsons.. People seemed to love the lion but he felt so out of place, like one of the sports commentator in 22 for 30, and I know that they are both voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, which has been with the simpsons for many seasons, voicing a character here and there. I know he voices characters in Family Guy and I felt like those two characters came straight out of Family Guy, and I HATED that.

I'd forgotten about that. I didn't mind it in theory because it was a decent send-up of Aslan and The Chronicles of Narnia, but in the context of the episode, it was another reference to pad out a mash-up of references in an unfocused parody. It was a Seltzer & Friedberg type of superficial spoof that threw in as many references as it could, rather than providing good commentary on and satire of the specific movies/shows or the genre itself.

Bart’snot Dead everything about it is disturbing when you start to think about it. Firstoff Flanders' Ladder already had a plot where Homer stupidly put Bar’s life indanger. That two back to back episode where Bart’s life is risked because ofhis father’s action. Secondly this is just a rehash of The Telltale Head"where bart gets in trouble because homer told him that being cool and followingpeer pressure is the most important thing in the world. Yet only in thatepisode did Homer realize what a mistake he made. So basically homer cares moreabout a statue then his own son.  

I haven't watched all the season premieres, but you have to try really hard to do worse than "Every Man's Dream." The only good thing about this episode was the "What a Wonderful World" cover that played over the end credits.

I think the season premieres that promise or tease something tend to be the worst, because the first episode of the season is supposed to set the tone for the rest of the year. They had one episode where they teased that someone would die, and it ended up being Krusty's father. It also didn't help that "The Simpsons Guy" aired that night so the episode looked even more mediocre than it usually would have.

Back