Why do so many people hate the Mike Scully Era (Seasons 10-12) over two decades later after those episodes have even come out?

Padme Amidala

Junior Camper
And why have so many younger fans who were barely even alive when the Mike Scully episodes were even airing or were even to young to watch the show during it’s so “golden years” completely jumped on the Mike Scully-hating bandwagon just because the Internet has told them to and why do you let what the Internet dictate what you can or cannot like?

I can tell you as someone who’s been here nearly 15 years that the Scully hate has significantly lessened over the years. Most people started directing their vitriol at Al Jean, to the point where we had to set a rule against posting about killing him. Then most of the people who were doing that to Jean left the site eventually because they stopped watching the show, and the people who are still here and talking about The Simpsons (like me) don’t hate him with such a passion, and that’s why we‘re still here and watching the show.

The only thing I can guess about the younger fans jumping on the Scully hate bandwagon is that most of them are watching the series from the start on Disney+ and are witnessing the first signs of the series’ decline. Scully’s all they know about that for now.

I can tell you as someone who’s been here nearly 15 years that the Scully hate has significantly lessened over the years. Most people started directing their vitriol at Al Jean, to the point where we had to set a rule against posting about killing him. Then most of the people who were doing that to Jean left the site eventually because they stopped watching the show, and the people who are still here and talking about The Simpsons (like me) don’t hate him with such a passion, and that’s why we‘re still here and watching the show.

The only thing I can guess about the younger fans jumping on the Scully hate bandwagon is that most of them are watching the series from the start on Disney+ and are witnessing the first signs of the series’ decline. Scully’s all they know about that for now.
Wow, those fans must have been nasty and very unpleasant to be around if you had seriously consider doing that.

While what you say is true, most casual fans that exist outside this forum and hardcore Simpsons fandom that haven’t watched the show since say Season 11 STILL CONSIDER Mike Scully to be “the man that ruined and destroyed The Simpsons” and these people see no difference whatsoever between a Season 11 or Season 12 episode to today’s show.

Not to mention the fact that there are STILL A LOT of fans here who rank the Scully Era VERY LOW with some “fans” seriously consider it to be the worst era of the whole entire show’s history and there are seriously some “fans” who seriously still consider Season 11 the WORST SEASON of the whole entire show…IF NOT THE WORST.

And I just don’t know how any reasonable Simpsons fan could seriously believe.

Last edited:
And why have so many younger fans who were barely even alive when the Mike Scully episodes were even airing or were even to young to watch the show during it’s so “golden years” completely jumped on the Mike Scully-hating bandwagon just because the Internet has told them to and why do you let what the Internet dictate what you can or cannot like?
The show was not the same anymore, and most of the original writers left after Season 7. The show was still doing great during Season 8, with a little success decline, which was gradually. Then, Season 9 jumped the shark with "The Principal and the Pauper", which is when the ratings decline even more. The season was pretty weak, but still entertaining. Seasons 10-12 still have little charm to the original, but wasn't the same anymore. Starting with Season 10, the tone decline became noticeable, and as a result, Jerkass Homer started to involve over time.

After over 20 years, there are people out there that just want to say whatever they want because of what it says on the internet, and obviously, if they haven't seen the Mike Scully-era episodes, that's not truthful, especially to youngsters because their brains are still developing at the time, and they need a sense of themselves. It's basically the mind that needed them to be happy. Makes sense because if they didn't want watch them, they need to watch them first to express their opinions on the episodes, because their opinions matter. If they are too young to watch the show, then what's the point with them doing that? Their minds are just that they want to be famous, just have fun, or just be happy.

The star wars prequels came out when I was the target age demographic, but I never thought "wow these are exactly as good as the originals, if not better." Give young people some credit

The star wars prequels came out when I was the target age demographic, but I never thought "wow these are exactly as good as the originals, if not better." Give young people some credit
I will not stand for this slander against the Star Wars Prequels, my good sir.

I’m sure they’re much better movies than whatever movies you hold so dearly.

lol I probably shouldn't have posted a star wars analogy in a thread made by someone named Padme Amidala :facesmack: should've gone with bugs bunny vs. cool cat

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think "the internet" is to blame for the conventional wisdom that there was a decline and it's kinda condescending to think zoomers can't come to that conclusion themselves. Like I'm pretty sure millions of people lost interest in the show naturally without having ever read George Cauldron's takedown of Trash of the Titans

lol I probably shouldn't have posted a star wars analogy in a thread made by someone named Padme Amidala :facesmack: should've gone with bugs bunny vs. cool cat

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think "the internet" is to blame for the conventional wisdom that there was a decline and it's kinda condescending to think zoomers can't come to that conclusion themselves. Like I'm pretty sure millions of people lost interest in the show naturally without having ever read George Cauldron's takedown of Trash of the Titans
No you are just being pretentious and incredibly biased like you have always have been Dark Homer.

I know you, Dark Homer, I’m not new here nor am I new to your dumb views and opinions.

You are a giant Classic Simpsons-loving loser and I bet you are incredibly fat in real life. And I wouldn’t expect a stupid dorky Classic Simpsons lover like you to even understand the awesomeness of the Star Wars Prequels.

What’s the matter? Did Darth Maul and the look of Queen Amidala give you nightmares as a teenager, you giant pussy???

Everyone on this site is a giant loser. Don’t you losers evert get tired of obsessing over an incredibly outdated and unfunny, irrelevant liberal propaganda cartoon that came out in the 1990’s?

Tried to post in good faith only to get lazy gimmick schtick in return :negative:
I know you are trying; just try what you can.
No you are just being pretentious and incredibly biased like you have always have been Dark Homer.

I know you, Dark Homer, I’m not new here nor am I new to your dumb views and opinions.

You are a giant Classic Simpsons-loving loser and I bet you are incredibly fat in real life. And I wouldn’t expect a stupid dorky Classic Simpsons lover like you to even understand the awesomeness of the Star Wars Prequels.

What’s the matter? Did Darth Maul and the look of Queen Amidala give you nightmares as a teenager, you giant pussy???

Everyone on this site is a giant loser. Don’t you losers evert get tired of obsessing over an incredibly outdated and unfunny, irrelevant liberal propaganda cartoon that came out in the 1990’s?
Oh, by the way, Padme, please be respectful and be in good faith to users on the club, especially the staff on the club. You are probably moody at this point, and I think you need to take a break. Oh, and please, don't call anyone "losers". You will never know if someone's gonna be hurt or blame on you for whatever actions you did; this could cause a backlash. Be a check mark, and don't be a cross.

I have good moral values some people don't, but who cares??? Just please, be respectful to @Dark Homer next time, okay?

@Dark Homer delete my comment and @AubreetheSimpson’s quoting my original comment as I feel really bad and stupid about what I said and I don’t want people what I wrote or people to get offended by my comment.

Yeah, that post really confused and baffled me since Dark Homer clearly wasn't trying to start any conflict. It's not good to get hostile towards someone just for sharing a different opinion. But I'm glad you realized your mistake.

Can confirm I take this "propaganda cartoon" pretty seriously myself 😌

“why do you let what the Internet dictate what you can or cannot like?”

“Everyone on this site is a giant loser. Don’t you losers evert get tired of obsessing over an incredibly outdated and unfunny, irrelevant liberal propaganda cartoon that came out in the 1990’s?”

why can’t y’all ever have a little consistency

@Dark Homer be like...
823021.jpg

This thread turned stupid real fast. Like God damn Amidala, let us discuss the topic you started before you derail it.

Anyway, on the topic, my own continued dislike of the Scully years is largely due to the fact that as someone who is actually old enough to have been there when it happened that era will always be remembered as the time when my absolute favorite show transformed into a show I didn't even like. I can understand why some people might be entertained by the Scully era episodes with their ultra-cynical, over-the-top, fast-paced, in-your-face approach to comedy. But as for me, I will always remember those years as the time when a show I thought was perfect became something that not only disapointed me but actively annoyed me. Like, watching all those Jerkass Homer episodes didn't just bore me, it actively made me dislike the show, especially Homer himself. And of course now that the Scully era (or Jerkass Homer era) is long gone, I have to admit that it's been replaced by a version of the show that is in many ways even worse, it's just bad in a different way from the previous era. But the thing is; regardless of how bad the show gets, this continued downfall doesn't actually make the Scully era better. I've said it before; a pile of garbage doesn't stop being a pile of garbage just because you stumble upon an even bigger pile of garbage.

And to me personally, the Scully era is the one era that gives me the worst vibes since it took the place of the golden era version of the show. The Jean era meanwhile merely took the place of the Scully era version, so it's like, yeah the Jean era sucks, but it merely replaced a show that also sucked, so not a very big loss there.

And to me personally, the Scully era is the one era that gives me the worst vibes since it took the place of the golden era version of the show. The Jean era meanwhile merely took the place of the Scully era version, so it's like, yeah the Jean era sucks, but it merely replaced a show that also sucked, so not a very big loss there.

Pretty much the same opinion as me. Scully is the man behind the eventual downfall of the Simpsons, so should get more flak than Jean

I think duncanville is an interesting case where being showrun by Scully from the start the characters already felt flanderized before the third and final season aired. There were lots of jokes in duncanville and lots of wtf am I watching moments and the hero and his love interest were both unlikable. It's like watching teen Milhouse and Lisa carry the plot.

But yes the Scully years are funny but at the expense of characters being stupider, angrier, and insufferably smug whether they're right or not. I can at least get some memes out of Scully Simpsons, there's probably only like 10 episodes showran by Jean that I would willingly watch again. I know I am harsh on modern Simpsons but it annoys me that it and it's fellow zombie shows shamble along while things with a slow start but good potential get 2-3 seasons max.

Incidentally am I the only one who considered the characters flanderized in The revival of Futurama? I hope the second revival is a lot of better.

Oh and someone close to Scully please give him a hug.
With shows that go through so many rewrites it's hard to determine how much flack one person deserves.

Last edited:
Back