Why do People hate on The Simpsons so much?

I remember when the episode first aired, I had watched it with my girlfriend, and we both got a lot of laughs and particularly enjoyed the ending, which while wasn't happy, left it on just the right note to perk the viewer up without reducing itself to a moodkilling gag. It really set a sweet mood for a lovely night with my lady.

Later that year I watched it again when the Blu-Ray was released and it was by far the only episode on the set that stuck with me.

I've been a fan of the Simpsons since I was about 3 years old. I'm 24, so you can say I literally grew up with the show since it began. A lot of things have come to mind when defending our favorite animated yellow family.

1)Do people say they hate the new seasons, but, in turn, seem to have never even seen the new seasons (OR EVEN THE FIRST 10 SEASONS)?
This seems to ring true in my personal experience, polling many an internet community. It almost seems like it's "cool' to just say you're a classic Simpsons fan, when, most of the time, have no real working knowledge or any fandom of the first couple of seasons.

2)Have the writers tried to maintain relevance leaving older fans confused at pop culture references and younger fans even more confused?
I'm pretty sure someone isn't going to appreciate Brett and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords singing and dancing in one of the episodes last season, but I'm pretty sure some 12-year-old casual viewer has no idea who the hell they are now. If the core audience has remained aimed at college viewers to men in their late 30s, I'm sure it creates some sort of gap where satire and any hint of comedy is lost due to maintaining relevance. I say this out of respect, but have any of you, young and old, considered the show hasn't gotten "dumber," but rather jokes just go over your heads?

3)Has the ADD generation desensitized us to satire and irony a la MacFarlane?
People who say Family Guy is more clever or "fresh" don't realize what exactly makes good comedy. Remaining "edgy" should NEVER be an element when trying to bank on comedy viewers. Having characters that people care about, sympathize with, and want to see grow is what makes the outburst of moronic diatribe from Homer all the worth while.

Comedy has changed over the years, and while it seems dropping pop culture references every 10 seconds in an irrelevant manner, or trying to constantly cross "the line" has become the status quo in mainstream comedic television, it doesn't make it "smart" or "witty."

I STILL think the Simpsons has maintained the same sense of timing, misdirection, wit, and satire it has proven to have 20 years ago. I constantly find myself laughing out loud and appreciating the jokes for not being cheap or in vain.

I'm mainly tired of arguing this point but dude where is the satire in the new seasons? Please provide examples of satire even simplistic satire that is done well. The only one I can think of in recent seasons is Fraudcast News and that was done 7 years ago. Maybe You Kent Always Say What You Want could be considered satire if it wasn't done so sloppily(same goes for E. Pluribus Wiggum). But even those were done like 4-5 years ago. I'd argue the humor thing but whatever laugh at what you. But don't say it's up to the level of the first 8 seasons.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think it's up to generally the same "level," (and I never really said that) but I feel all the elements are still present. I still feel it has the same sense of basic comedic techniques. It shouldn't be trashed like it is today.

I honestly don't think it's up to generally the same "level," (and I never really said that) but I feel all the elements are still present. I still feel it has the same sense of basic comedic techniques. It shouldn't be trashed like it is today.
I also just asked for you to provide examples of satire in the present seasons? You're saying they're present I'm just asking for some proof.

He said black hawk down when he ran into the locker. What a classic pop culture reference!!!

I've been a fan of the Simpsons since I was about 3 years old. I'm 24, so you can say I literally grew up with the show since it began. A lot of things have come to mind when defending our favorite animated yellow family.

I STILL think the Simpsons has maintained the same sense of timing, misdirection, wit, and satire it has proven to have 20 years ago. I constantly find myself laughing out loud and appreciating the jokes for not being cheap or in vain.

You watched the show for satire when you were 4?

The current show doesn't need any more sympathy, either. But for comparison's sake here's some analogous pics.

Seasons 1-8's satire:

200029004.jpg

Seasons 9 & up (at best) satire:

drumE-800.jpg

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Wow. Just wow.

The Banksy thing was so pointless. They don't even animate in Korea anymore, lol.

As for the Steve Mobs bit, look at how they make fun of the Mapple users. Bart has to directly explain how pathetic they are, whereas the older seasons would show, not tell. A good example would be Troy McClure selling that juicer on TV. "One bag of oranges produced THAT much orange juice?" You didn't have Bart call in and say, "Your products don't even work properly and you're all losers who have to buy things over the phone because blah blah blah..".

I'm so tired, but I hope I explained that well enough.

Last edited:
The Banksy thing was so pointless. They don't even animate in Korea anymore, lol.

As for the Steve Mobs bit, look at how they make fun of the Mapple users. Bart has to directly explain how pathetic they are, whereas the older seasons would show, not tell. A good example would be Troy McClure selling that juicer on TV. "One bag of oranges produced THAT much orange juice?" You didn't have Bart call in and say, "Your products don't even work properly and you're all losers who have to buy things over the phone because blah blah blah..".

I'm so tired, but I hope I explained that well enough.

I understand you fully, and I don't disagree, but, as I said, those weren't the best examples off the top of my head.

I don't get why the Banksy thing was pointless. It's still poking fun at something quite relevant in animation, and conversely, modern art.

I have hardly watched more recent episodes religiously, but I honestly can't think of one example of genuinely witty satire post um... season 9? Some parts of Mom & Pop Art might count if I'm being generous, as might elements of Faith Off if I'm being even more generous. Prior to that we had LETS, Brad Goodman, Poochie et cetera. With that in mind, watching later dismal attempts (e.g. that atrocious episode where bart moons a flag) is just excruciating.

Also, I seem to dislike a lot of highly regarded later episodes for some reason. I have no idea what people see in Never-ending Blah, to give an example. Eternal Blah had its moments, I suppose, but it was still irritatingly stupid come the end.

I'm actually happy with the responses to my post. I'm glad I found this forum! Smart, opinionated fans that aren't afraid to explain themselves instead of just saying "LOL SIMPSONS SUCKS!"

If I have to add one more thing, it's that although some people might defend the show due to "nostalgia," I see it more as context. MAYBE for me, the newer episodes mean almost as much because of context of the Jean/Reiss era I remember the most vividly. I still REALLY care about these characters despite some evolving into some awkward iterations.

pretty sure they still do

Seriously? I thought that ever since HD, it was all done with computers now, in studio ala South Park. Tried googling but all the articles saying so were pre-HD or Banksy related. I'll just take your word for it.

I'm actually happy with the responses to my post. I'm glad I found this forum! Smart, opinionated fans that aren't afraid to explain themselves instead of just saying "LOL SIMPSONS SUCKS!"

If I have to add one more thing, it's that although some people might defend the show due to "nostalgia," I see it more as context. MAYBE for me, the newer episodes mean almost as much because of context of the Jean/Reiss era I remember the most vividly. I still REALLY care about these characters despite some evolving into some awkward iterations.

That's the thing about evolution--everything has the right to evolve, but the people watching the evolution have the right not to respect the changes.

For what it's worth, my personal history with the Simpsons is I was 11 when the shorts began, and 14 when "Roasting" took over. Back then, almost all animated programming was for kids on Saturday mornings and as a 14yr old, I was too old for that stuff and found it silly. When the Simpsons started, it was weird watching a medium that was 'intended' for kids be a show that made adults genuinely laugh and it was controversial, too. IMO, America fell in love with the Simpsons for the same reason Batman is one of the (if not the most) popular characters in comics, it's because he's a superhero without super powers, as the early Simpsons was a cartoon, but felt like the character were more real than most sitcoms of the 80's--fans of both can (almost) relate.

pretty sure they still do

Over at Toonzone, someone mentioned after this season of the Simpsons, AKOM wanted to get out of animating American cartoons.

Seriously? I thought that ever since HD, it was all done with computers now, in studio ala South Park. Tried googling but all the articles saying so were pre-HD or Banksy related. I'll just take your word for it.

This is a common misconception, I think. I saw it a lot after most shows switched to digital coloring also.

But I think they just present the animation in HD, and initially "film" (however it's converted into film basically) it in HD. But the original drawings still have to be hand drawn as always. South Park doesn't need to do that because the characters aren't really drawn like that to begin with; it's more akin to flash animation. But the animation on The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, etc is actually too complex for that.

Oh okay. hmm, Funny how the animation on South Park is actually more appealing. Well, compared to Family Guy and current Simpsons; I rather love Futurama's work.

This seems to ring true in my personal experience, polling many an internet community. It almost seems like it's "cool' to just say you're a classic Simpsons fan, when, most of the time, have no real working knowledge or any fandom of the first couple of seasons.
I don't see myself as much of a Simpsons fan but I have watched all of the episode in order at least once, so I have a somewhat working knowledge of how The Simpsons works. (in terms of humor, plot, character, satire.) I admit... The internet does seem to copy whatever is cool and does seem to be a bit "trend-of-the-month" is but I don't think it's even remotely cool.

I'm pretty sure someone isn't going to appreciate Brett and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords singing and dancing in one of the episodes last season, but I'm pretty sure some 12-year-old casual viewer has no idea who the hell they are now. If the core audience has remained aimed at college viewers to men in their late 30s, I'm sure it creates some sort of gap where satire and any hint of comedy is lost due to maintaining relevance. I say this out of respect, but have any of you, young and old, considered the show hasn't gotten "dumber," but rather jokes just go over your heads?
I have a really good working knowledge of pop culture and what's funny and what's not; Flight of the Conchords is going to fly over a lot of the heads because honestly, who's even heard of Flight of the Chonchords anymore... That and I can't think of any joke that went over my head; in fact I think of the opposite because the jokes, the punchlines, and the setup are all clearly set up so that some 12-year-old can get it and laugh at it. I mean who needs subtly when you can just blurt it out in front of your face. The older-season jokes do have much more jokes that tend to go over people's heads then the later season. Remember, The Simpsons was known for incorporating bits of fancy work and old-forgotten movies into their episodes, so obscure that you couldn't pinpoint the source yourself. (unless you knew old movies well.) You'd have to use Google to look up what the hell you said...

People who say Family Guy is more clever or "fresh" don't realize what exactly makes good comedy. Remaining "edgy" should NEVER be an element when trying to bank on comedy viewers. Having characters that people care about, sympathize with, and want to see grow is what makes the outburst of moronic diatribe from Homer all the worth while.
Well Family Guy was "fresh" but I guess the writers have no idea what made Family Guy good anymore... I mean just look at it's initial run on [adult swim], it got tons of support and that support lead to it's renewal which ultimately led to the anti-McFarline stance we have today. (Due to his success of course.) I do agree that "edge" is overused but it's still an element. I mean look at Saturday Night Live, most of that show is "edge" and it has managed a following that still exists; even though the most recent SNL's have been disappointing. Your definition of "edge" may be appalling but again, it's needed.

Also while your argument of characters is a notable one. It may not apply to the later episodes (who's characters has been bastardized to the point of unrecognizability; they lack the traits and the personality that made them what they are today IMO.) but it still matters today. I mean look at "Modern Family" or "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", the characters pratically make the show since they provide alot of the humor the show is known for. Also Homer is not known mainly for his "outbursts of moronic diatribe", just saying.

Comedy has changed over the years, and while it seems dropping pop culture references every 10 seconds in an irrelevant manner, or trying to constantly cross "the line" has become the status quo in mainstream comedic television, it doesn't make it "smart" or "witty."

I agree. But that's not even close to the status quo. I mean have you seen what we have. We have comedies revolving around females "Two Broke Girls", we have comedies revolving around guys "Two and a Half Men." We have ensemble comedies "Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.". We even have comedies revolving around couples "Whitney, although that's not the best example." Don't think that what you stated has become the status quo; sure, they may drop a pop culture refrence but what sitcom hasn't done that? Past, Present or Future?

I STILL think the Simpsons has maintained the same sense of timing, misdirection, wit, and satire it has proven to have 20 years ago.
I commend you for your opinion (as well as D'ohmer's and Rasberry's.) but I have to diagree. The timing, misdriection, wit, satire... It's not there; most of the satire I've witnessed is simple, the wit is not there (since when has any joke been witty, explain one...) and what is misdirection???

I constantly find myself laughing out loud and appreciating the jokes for not being cheap or in vain.
I can list 100 jokes that are cheap, vain and just plain stupid. Again, I agree that humor is different for everybody but 30-minute time wasting entertainment should not be confused with memorability and quality.

I commend you for your opinion (as well as D'ohmer's and Rasberry's.) but I have to diagree. The timing, misdriection, wit, satire... It's not there; most of the satire I've witnessed is simple, the wit is not there (since when has any joke been witty, explain one...) and what is misdirection???

When someone mistakes lack of focus as genius, like with Homer's grill in Mom & Pop Art.

SEE INSTEAD OF APPLE IT'S MAPPLE AND INSTEAD OF STEVE JOBS, IT'S STEVE MOBS! PERHAPS THE COMPANY WAS CO-FOUNDED BY STEVE MOZNIAK! AND THEIR PCS ARE CALLED iAACS!

fart

I have been watching since The Simpsons were on Tracey Ullman.

The show can NEVER had the effect that it had on us teens/early 20's in its earliest years. Just like anything in pop culture. BUT, saying that I don't think it has lost much quality.

There are definitely things that I don't enjoy as much anymore. But I notice when I have watched newer episodes with neices, nephews and people much younger than me, there is a freshness there that they get out of it, that I don't get after watching for 23 years. And the show is reaching out with different things that don't necessarily appeal to me in my current lifestyle.

I DO feel like there was a period where the show became somewhat inconsistant and dipped a bit in quality, but with a few classic episodes mixed in. I feel that for the last few years the quality has bounced back up and have been WAY more consistent.

But when I flip through the tv and watch all these other shows, I think "how can people honestly feel the current Simpsons are so bad?" It has always, in my opinion, offered so much more than most other shows on t.v. And even at times when it failed, I felt like there is something going on there that I just didn't get. And I appreciate the art behind that.

Have you ever watched an episode that you thought sucked and someone you know loved it or vice versa? I think that is a big sign of versatility. A versatility that sometimes takes the show to places where most people can't really grasp it all...

Also, I remember certainly huge Simpsons fans complaing about things back in 4th or 5th season, things that are worshipped now as being perfect. (I am a HUGE 4th season fan myself... and 3rd and 8th and 7th too).

I used to video tape EVERY episode and we'd just let the VCR play them nonstop over weekends during college parties and things... good times.

But when I flip through the tv and watch all these other shows, I think "how can people honestly feel the current Simpsons are so bad?" It has always, in my opinion, offered so much more than most other shows on t.v. And even at times when it failed, I felt like there is something going on there that I just didn't get. And I appreciate the art behind that.

Have you ever watched an episode that you thought sucked and someone you know loved it or vice versa? I think that is a big sign of versatility. A versatility that sometimes takes the show to places where most people can't really grasp it all...
The "It's better then anything else on TV" argument has become older then sin. I mean I've watched all of the recent shows on the broadcast networks as well as some cable networks and while some of them may be bland, they're certainly not terrible enough to make The Simpsons looks good. And really, all we want is a quality, memorable and entertaining product that we expect. I mean I don't want to watch an episode only for me to not remember it days later. It's like watching Leno, you hear him making jokes, you hear him laughing but you can't remember jack shit about him, same goes for The Simpsons.

There are some good comedy shows though. "30 Rock", "It's Always Sunny", "South Park", (SIDE NOTE: South Park still manages to do some good stuff creatively, even if they've fallen into a slump this year.) "Raising Hope", "The Middle", "Modern Family", "2 Broke Girls". I mean it's not all terrible and bland, there are some gems in there...

Also, I remember certainly huge Simpsons fans complaing about things back in 4th or 5th season, things that are worshipped now as being perfect.
So a couple of years from now, stuff we complained about during the 20th season will be seen as perfect... I wonder if the same could be same for the 17th, 18th and 19th season?

There are definitely things that I don't enjoy as much anymore. But I notice when I have watched newer episodes with neices, nephews and people much younger than me, there is a freshness there that they get out of it, that I don't get after watching for 23 years. And the show is reaching out with different things that don't necessarily appeal to me in my current lifestyle.
That's because they're young, they don't know what's good or bad and they're more suspectable to like things that appear on the screen then they are older people, like much of the ones on the forum. :P

In any case, welcome to the forum. Your Simpsons dedication is especially noted.

Last edited:
There are some good comedy shows though. "30 Rock", "It's Always Sunny", "South Park", "Raising Hope", "The Middle", "Modern Family", "2 Broke Girls". I mean it's not all terrible and bland, there are some gems in there...

That, right there, is evidence, to me, that it's people's tastes that have changed, rather than The Simpsons. "30 Rock" is godawful, and Tina Fey herself is execrable. Of the things you list, only "Modern Family" is a really good show. "South Park" got stale years ago.

So a couple of years from now, stuff we complained about during the 20th season will be seen as perfect... I wonder if the same could be same for the 17th, 18th and 19th season?

That's inevitable. As episodes become warm and familiar, people will look back at them fondly.

That's because they're young, they don't know what's good or bad and they're more suspectable to like things that appear on the screen then they are older people, like much of the ones on the forum. :P

I think that explanation is too convenient. Kids aren't any more susceptible to liking things that are on the screen than anyone else. Put a boring show on the screen and watch what happens. And they won't laugh at jokes they don't understand. Can you imagine kids (if they watched it) laughing at "Ugly Americans"? (I'm not saying it's especially funny. I'm saying that just because something appears on screen doesn't mean kids will be entertained.)

Back