Why do People hate on The Simpsons so much?

I don't hate the show really, but it's undeniably not as good as before. There are some who venemously hate it now, but many others are either just neutral to it or have moved on if they're not big on the change and I sort of fall in with the former. It's not like you either have to despise it and be questioned for doing so or love it absolutely.

For me personally, the thing with the "It hasn't gotten worse it's just different" argument is that it assumes that something can never change for the worse, just "change", which is silly. I've tried to judge myself before on whether or not I'm letting nostalgia cloud my judgement on something, and with this show I just can't see no matter how hard I try this just being just a new version of something old, it comes across to me as something just tired. Sad thing is that I don't think the show had to have aged this badly personally, I think things could have gone down better.

There's all sorts of reasons why and I'm gonna turn this into a text book if I go that into it, which I kind of don't want to do, but I will say that one thing that I think was sort of lost along the way was the show's propensity to twist expectations. It's never been hard to guess what happens at the end of an episode, thanks to that status quo, but often times I feel like the show at unexpected times had a great ability to twist the general expectations most would maybe have of a character and what they represent, or the subject matter. Like the AV club did a great little review of Oh Brother Where Art Thou (Where Homer first meets his half brother), and went on about how it twisted the old trope of the average joe being wise and teaching the rich guy a thing or two. It didn't turn out that way at all of course. There's other stuff, like things just getting more obnoxious and playing the status quo for a joke a bit too much, and the characters getting more and more gimmicky which is sort of the saddest thing for me sometimes but at the end of the day...I think the current show just sort of takes itself at face value a lot more, trying to just be an entertaining cartoon and that's where it sort of lost its spice I think.

It is true that it's been on for more than 20 years now but this stuff started way before that, and like I said I don't think it had to age quite this way, but it did. A little more personally too I find it kind of bittersweet, I feel like this show sort of became what it originally set out to be against. It may have helped sell more merchandise, but I feel like what made it something special's being lost in there somewhere now years later. It's now one of those things to be anti-establishment towards. I know after all these years that's inevitable, but considering I grew up with this show it still feels a little bad no matter what. I don't hate it per se, I still watch it every now and then, but I can never get over how it's gone as far as them even making a theme park ride of this show. It's a little surreal to me.

Last edited:
I think "it's the cool thing to do" does play a part in this as well. I mean, I can understand if you don't like the show, but to actively thumbs-down anyone who posts a positive review of an episode is just immature. It's like "how DARE they enjoy this crap!

It's when they give an episode a '5/5' soley on the basis it's a Simpsons episode is where it gets annoying.

Well, one thing which suggests why there is a decline is because the new writers don't care for for what the older episodes established and how they developed the characters.. One anecdote i've heard from somebody who has connections with the show said:

"Someone on the show was talking to one of the young writers. At some point the topic of older shows came up and he was asked if he watched them. The writer scoffed, and said, "No," as if it was a badge of honor."

Hopefully that doesn't reflect the group of new writers, but it does reveal there's at least one idiot on the current Simpsons writing staff.

Well, one thing which suggests why there is a decline is because the new writers don't care for for what the older episodes established and how they developed the characters.. One anecdote i've heard from somebody who has connections with the show said:

"Someone on the show was talking to one of the young writers. At some point the topic of older shows came up and he was asked if he watched them. The writer scoffed, and said, "No," as if it was a badge of honor."

Hopefully that doesn't reflect the group of new writers, but it does reveal there's at least one idiot on the current Simpsons writing staff.

I don't know where you got your source from, because if there's one thing The Simpsons staff doesn't have is young writers.

Other than Matt Selman and Matt Warburton, most of the staff is over 40 or 50. And, if you listen to the commentaries, it's pretty clear most of them have good knowledge of the older episodes when they reference them. Not all of them, but plenty.

And as for that quote, the writer was clearly joking around, hoping to get that kind of reaction from people who actually take them seriously.

It really doesn't matter though. It's been shown that Al Jean has a photographic memory of past Simpsons events and episodes, and he's ultimately responsible for every new show produced.

I don't know where you got your source from, because if there's one thing The Simpsons staff doesn't have is young writers.

My source is from somebody who has worked on the show since 1993 and still does to this day.

And as for that quote, the writer was clearly joking around, hoping to get that kind of reaction from people who actually take them seriously.

I'm not sure. The person who told me didn't seem to think they were joking.

It really doesn't matter though. It's been shown that Al Jean has a photographic memory of past Simpsons events and episodes, and he's ultimately responsible for every new show produced.

It definitely does matter. Al Jean doesn't write the episodes. So the people who are writing the episodes need to know how the characters would react to different situations. They also need to know when stories or jokes have been done before, and now more then ever people are picking up on episodes 're-hashing' older stories. (Bart feels affection towards a bird, Homer snitching on Fat Tony etc.)

cool, another opportunity for Rowdy Roddy Peeper to show off his *~INSIDER INFO~*

Why do people hate the simpsons? uh, i don't know... why do people hate Friends? why do people hate That 70s show? why do they hate Saved by the bell?

(to point out the obvious: because they suck.)

but seriously, with all the crap we've been getting the past decade, you just can't consider the simpsons as a whole a good tv show anymore. stuff's as simple as that.

cool, another opportunity for Rowdy Roddy Peeper to show off his *~INSIDER INFO~*

Show off? I was simply providing an anecdote which was relevant to the subject. Rather then just stating my opinion I passed on a story i had been told by the member of staff. Hey, if people don't want that, then fine, whatever.

It definitely does matter. Al Jean doesn't write the episodes. So the people who are writing the episodes need to know how the characters would react to different situations. They also need to know when stories or jokes have been done before, and now more then ever people are picking up on episodes 're-hashing' older stories. (Bart feels affection towards a bird, Homer snitching on Fat Tony etc.)

He doesn't write them, but he still reads them. He also has final cut approval on any episode being edited. Being a showrunner means knowing everything there is to know about the show, especially the characters and their backstories.

Stories are being rehashed because there are only so many stories you can tell after having written 475 episodes and a movie. At least, most of them still feel fresh, even if they aren't 100% original anymore.

Show off? I was simply providing an anecdote which was relevant to the subject. Rather then just stating my opinion I passed on a story i had been told by the member of staff. Hey, if people don't want that, then fine, whatever.
it was stupid speculation based on contextless office gossip that added nothing substantive to the discussion, and when jbauer challenged your assertion you responded by trumping up the integrity of your supposed top-secret source, removing the focus from your argument and putting it onto your "connections"

you could've just posted your theory without tagging on the "MY DAD WORKS AT NINTENDO" card that you have a tendency to do

it was stupid speculation based on contextless office gossip that added nothing substantive to the discussion, and when jbauer challenged your assertion you responded by trumping up the integrity of your supposed top-secret source, removing the focus from your argument and putting it onto your "connections"

you could've just posted your theory without tagging on the "MY DAD WORKS AT NINTENDO" card that you have a tendency to do

Well what was different about my theory was i had an anecdote from somebody who works on the show to back it up. And i think it does add something substantive to the discussion, about whether the current new writers on the show bother to watch the earlier episodes. When JBauer challenged my assertion, i responded not by 'trumping up the integrity' of my connection, instead I just confirmed that he's been working for the show for a number of years so he's been aware of some of the changes in attitudes behind the scenes.

When was the last time i tagged one of my posts with a 'my dad works at nintendo' card? I'm interested cos the last time i can remember mentioning any contacts was possibly in late 2009/early 2010 when I got an e-mail from Al Jean to pass on to the board about the Ortved book.

Why do people hate the simpsons? uh, i don't know... why do people hate Friends? why do people hate That 70s show? why do they hate Saved by the bell?

(to point out the obvious: because they suck.)

but seriously, with all the crap we've been getting the past decade, you just can't consider the simpsons as a whole a good tv show anymore. stuff's as simple as that.

600px-No_sign2.svg.png

While you can still enjoy the show, you do have to admit that they aren't as good as they once were.

I think that's the main point of Fox Executive's post ... at least I believe so.

When JBauer challenged my assertion, i responded not by 'trumping up the integrity' of my connection, instead I just confirmed that he's been working for the show for a number of years so he's been aware of some of the changes in attitudes behind the scenes.

When was the last time i tagged one of my posts with a 'my dad works at nintendo' card? I'm interested cos the last time i can remember mentioning any contacts was possibly in late 2009/early 2010 when I got an e-mail from Al Jean to pass on to the board about the Ortved book.

uh, why did we need "confirmation" that's he's been there a long time? well shit, if he's been there since 1979 I guess that proves there's absolutely no way he could have possibly misinterpreted the sincerity of a comedy writer

I don't keep a tally of all the times you've mentioned your connections and I'm not going to bother trying to do a search. you've mentioned being in "the industry" multiple times and you've let "al jean" argue through you as a proxy

I'm not in denial. Why can;t you just accept the fact that I think The Simpsons is still a good show?

Pot! Meet kettle!

How many "Thumbs Down" do you send to people a day who don't think the show has been good in 10 years? I know I have gotten at least ten from you.

Why can;t you just accept the fact that I think The Simpsons is now a bad show?

Pot! Meet kettle!

How many "Thumbs Down" do you send to people a day who don't think the show has been good in 10 years? I know I have gotten at least ten from you.

Why can;t you just accept the fact that I think The Simpsons is now a bad show?

I don't think I really send that much. If you have gotten a lot of them, then I apologize. I did use to use the thumbs down/up feature as a disagree/agree tool, but I've recently been using it as more of whether or not I think the post is quality. Besides, simply getting thumbs down is different than recieving a condescending reply to someone's opinion. I never gave thumbs downs to posts that I disagreed with, but were actually reasonable. Random, condescending remarks at the show, or quick statements without any reasoning whatsoever got thumbed down by me. I don't remember any of your posts that I gave a thumbs down to, so I am not saying that you made any of those posts, I am just letting you know.

Last edited:
I had a lot of critical and negative things to say on the last page of this thread, but I hope everyone knows it's being said out of care and appreciation of the show. It's such a great show when it's firing on all cylinders, so I'm more critical of it when it's coasting a bit. At the end of the day, I'm ultimately just appreciative of the fact that this franchise produced a larger amount of brilliant TV than I think any other show has. Even if as many as 200 episodes are subpar, there are still 250 absolutely great half-hours of TV at its best.

Sort of aside, but I'm pretty sure there are younger writers on the show. Former writer Daniel Chun I think is just turning 30 or is at least around that age, so he was in his 20's for his run on this show, and Matt Warburton is only 33 to name a few. I'm not 100% sure but I think while the more prolific...long running writers are older theres also quite a few lesser spoken of writers who collectively pool together lot of the written material that goes through the head writers and on to the show, and I'm pretty sure that they range to all sorts of ages. Not totally sure, but the two I named are at least pretty youngish.

The reason people hate on the Simpsons now is that it used to be an intelligent show, and even during the scully era when the show lost it's subtlety and intelligence there was still some degree of good humour, now the simpsons just lazily coasts by spewing out crap aimed at those with not the brain cells or the good humour to be properly engaged in show. Take the sign gags for instance or the newspaper articles or any other thing like that in the old days, you had to work to find this and read them amongst everything else going on and they were generally funny, now they are made blatantly obvious and they jump out at you and worse yet they're not funny. And lets not forget the way all the character are completely different to their former selves. The Simpsons just seems like a dumbed down kids show now.

Rant over.

I dunno I must be in the minority, but I would still take the stuff Jean is spewing out now over the crap Scully produced. Of course neither are really good television.

I always watch the new episode's of the simpsons, do I like them? There 4/10 stuff, I dislike it because I never laugh, and if I do it's on 1 episode a season, the old seasons I still laugh when I watch my box sets. I still watch the simpsons though because there the simpspons.

It's unfortunate, but the decline in quality has become almost as much of a hallmark of The Simpsons as Bart being strangled.

It may sound dumb, but think about it. Almost every article about the show also mentions this decline. One of the most common topics here is about the decline. I don't know about others, but whenever I mention to anyone that I am a fan of the show (which is often), almost always the response is along the lines of "I love The Simpsons, but I don't bother with the new episodes."

It may seem like fans like myself, and indeed, the majority of the users here, just want to criticize and hate The Simpsons. But the truth is that we WANT to like the show. Even after I read a press release that sounds moronic and have no hope for a good episode whatsoever, I still hope I'll be proven wrong.

Also:

quick statements without any reasoning whatsoever got thumbed down by me.
That's ironic, considering that 90% of your posts fall into that category.

Last edited:
Back