Who's smarter: Smithers or Lisa?

Who is smarter?

• Total voters
Lisa is very precocious and studious, and while Smithers is intelligent, he doesn't compare to the girl with the yellow starfish head.

If Smithers was smart, he wouldnt have spent all his life sucking up to Mr Burns, and he would have managed to expressed to his boss how he really feels about him, and whether they can further their relationship in that way.

i don't think intelligence has much to do with being honest with your feelings.

i don't think intelligence has much to do with being honest with your feelings.
Well Smithers rarely shows any intelligence/personality above his droll servant position to Mr Burns, so I thought this inability Smithers had was a clear indication of his status as an average human being, rather than being intelligent.

"Well Smithers rarely shows any intelligence/personality above his droll servant position to Mr Burns, so I thought this inability Smithers had was a clear indication of his status as an average human being, rather than being intelligent."

Uhh, WHAT? Smithers was the only one who could memorize all the names of where the package had to go in "Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part 1"...

so him being quiet about the fact he has a thing for his male boss means he's not intelligent but average? that's kind of a bleak outlook on things. lol

but not much has been really shown about smithers in that regard too so that's why it's kind of an odd comparison to me. in the show's heyday though I have to say it was hinted often that smithers was actually a fairly intelligent guy who who did have a pretty good grasp on what was right or wrong, since he's helped people against his boss from time to time. it's just that he has a well...little dilemma that this comes into conflict with. It happens, ya know. After a while though he's basically become just an extension of burns' character.

too bad, really.

Smithers pretty much runs the whole power plant because Burns is too senile too. Also, he knows a lot of stuff off the top of his head, like knowing that one baseball player died 130 years ago exactly off the top of his head.

i think the worst evidence for Smithers' intelligence is random specific tidbits of information he happened to recall at certain points in the series. one could then follow the same logic and make the same case for Homer's Supreme Court Justice knowledge.

^Smithers pretty much runs the whole plant and all of Burns' affairs too.

OuranKyouyaTamaki.png

If I say Smithers is definitely smarter, and that Lisa's just a dumb 2nd grader masquerading as an intellectual, who thinks she so much more aware than others that she ignorantly gets swept up in her insular intellect, as opposed to a Smithers who is smart and actually understanding on social levels,

would Kyoya respond?

Tamaki Suoh said:
^Smithers pretty much runs the whole plant and all of Burns' affairs too.
that's all well and good but given i was not refuting your assertion that Smithers is intelligent and merely dismantling questionable evidence it doesn't really matter.

If I say Smithers is definitely smarter, and that Lisa's just a dumb 2nd grader masquerading as an intellectual, who thinks she so much more aware than others that she ignorantly gets swept up in her insular intellect, as opposed to a Smithers who is smart and actually understanding on social levels,

would Kyoya respond?

IllKILLHIM.jpg

since when was smithers so intelligent? sure he's one of the more cultured springfieldians, but Lisa was in Mensa.

Martin wasn't in Mensa. Always found that odd.

Ironically, Menso is a slang term in Mexico that means dumb, stupid. Mensa's the same, just for females.

On topic...We need to see more of Smithers in that regard to make a fair comparison. Lisa is one of the main characters on the show, many episodes revolving around her intelligence, which is her distinctive characteristic. Smithers on the other part is a secundary character who has shown sensate judgement from time to time and who hasn't really been explored that much to begin with.

just because they didn't choose to join mensa doesn't mean smithers or martin are stupider than those who did

maybe both waylon and martin were asked, but they turned it down.:chin:

I think Lisa is smater than Smithers... maybe not at the age of 8, but she'll obviously get smarter, and by the time she's what, 15? She'll be much smarter than Smithers.

Other than his lackeying and toadying (of which there has been a shocking decline lately),.. I dont see any evidence of Waylon being smarter than Carl.
lisav.jpg

A better question would've been Lisa ~Vs~ CBG?

just because they didn't choose to join mensa doesn't mean smithers or martin are stupider than those who did

It's been a while since I saw the episode, but I recall Skinner saying something to the extent of "Lisa's the smartest one in school" or something like that...I was just pointing out how weird it seemed to me that Martin wasn't a member of Mensa, taking Skinner's comment in consideration. I wasn't using it as proof for the topic. Hence why I started the last paragraph with "On topic..."

maybe both waylon and martin were asked, but they turned it down.:chin:

I think it's a safer bet to assume the episode wasn't mean to realistically cover the smartest springfieldians, but rather the smart ones that the writers found with more comical potencial. For that matter, none of the "Superfriends" were members either...

you can't really compare a 8 year old to well

293329179066mrburns.jpg
Waylon_Smithers.png

that

Back