Which seasons' animation style do you prefer?

Which animation style do you prefer?

• Total voters
Crucify me, but I think there's a certain charm in the very early Simpsons animation of the Ullman Shorts. The animators weren't afraid to go wildly off-model and the results are some truly goofy facial expressions and odd movement. I do like S14 and S15 when there was the transition to digital ink and paint. Up to S16 and S17, I think that's where the technique really came into its prime.

@muppet, I had almost forgotten there was a trend with the character having huge pupils in many episodes around season 5 (I think). Those almost stoned-looking, often blank stares are so goofy and really supplemented the joke writing.
I agree with you I love the animation in season 6-9 some of the animation in season 9 is really amazing. Particularly Lisa the Simpson and Lisa’s sax, Simpson tide, the city of New York vs Homer Simpson, joy of sect and natural born kissers.

It's more than just the animation itself though. The cinematography of season 2 was leaps and bounds ahead of any other classic
I agree but season 3 and 4 had their moments … maybe season 2 was so amazing because Sam Simon was show runner? When you say amazing cinematography off the top of my head I think of itchy scratchy and marge three men and a comic book and parts of principal charming

Back