What's your favourite film genre?

What's your fave?

• Total voters

LukeMM95

Edgy McEdgeEdge
So it was my first day back at Uni today and at one point during my lecture we were asked, "What's your favourite film genre and then name a good and bad example of the genre?". I took the easy route and simply answered:

Favourite Genre: Action

Good Action film: Die Hard - It's an exciting movie with an intelligent plot. The villain is intimidating and it's easy to connect with the hero because of how vulnerable and realistic he is.)

Bad Action film: A Good Day to Die Hard - The complete opposite of the original. The film is bland, tired and boring. The villains are a joke and our hero is an invincible superhero who doesn't act like a human being.)

So what about you guys? Keep in mind, I'm not asking you what your all time favourite film is, just what genre do you typically enjoy seeing the most and name a good and bad example of the said genre.

Favorite genres: Documentary and psychological thriller.

Good documentary: Into the Abyss, Ken Burns' Prohibition
Bad documentary: Loose Change--probably the worst documentary of all time, Super Size Me, Kony 2012

Good psychological thriller: Mulholland Dr., Memento
Bad psychological thriller: The Forgotten, Hide and Seek

I'm surprised nobody else said comedy. The vast majority of films I watch (well, what little films I watch) are comedies. Documentaries are pretty good too.

Good comedy: Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!, The Simpsons Movie, Vegas Vacation
It's funny.

Bad comedy: Can't really think of anything off the top of my head, but you know, not funny...things.

I like thrillers (murder, suspense), but horror itself is uninteresting to me, especially when many horror movies rely on startling as their main method of scaring. But movies about possession and spirits and all that...no thanks -_-

I couldn't possibly pick just one genre as my favorite, but if you take my top 10 favorite films, the one genre that has the most prominence is most likely science fiction. I suppose the reason could be that good science fiction movies tend to have interesting, complex plots that make you think a lot. The Back to the Future trilogy and first two Terminator films are great examples of this. This quality isn't necessarily exclusive to the sci-fi genre, though.

Comedy would probably come second, followed by Action or maybe Drama.

I also do not favor any one genre. Looking at my most favorite films, I do notice many of them straddle two or more genres, so maybe "Hybrid" is actually a good answer for me.

Anything visually stunning and surreal gets me very interested very quickly.

I don't really have one genre as my favorite, but I do tend to like comedies.

The problem with a lot of comedies I find is that they start off really funny and then by the end I just think "Is this almost over yet?" It's really hard for me to think of a consistent comedy that starts off funny and stays funny throughout the entire time, but then again I don't watch a lot of movies in general so what do I know

Don't choose movies based on their genre, but i did vote for science fiction purely since i've been more towards space and future type of movies or maybe decent drama.

I answered hybrid, because I know most of my favourite films could fit comfortably into more than one genre category. I would say I usually go for films that are comedy, action/adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, drama, thriller, romance, and historical. I'm not particularly picky about genre though.

probably thrillers, though I have favorite movies that cover most or all of the listed categories

Back