What's the last TV show you watched?

I'm just making fun of other users who like to point this out. :P

I also hope that my other friend, who sometimes hosts panels dressed as Miss Frizzle, will host one at Otakon. I'd love to attend hers as Ralphie, and hopefully i can get my Carlos and Arnold friends to attend. (I missed hers at Anime USA last year.)

watched last night's Simpsons, "A Father's Watch." not the best of the season but not the worst either. felt it was more average than anything, but it had a decent enough plot and a few good jokes to save it from being a complete disaster.

Sorry I'm late. Here's my review.

ymKAZCq.jpg

Family Affair: The Thursday Man 8.5/10

Cissy gets a school project to write about a person on a surface level. But problems arise when she find that Mr. French is not a talkative person. She doesn't know anything about his childhood, his life experiences as an adult... and also, where does he go every Thursday which is so important?

This is a very good episode I recommend checking out not just for learning more about Mr. French, but about Cissy as well. She's the main person in the plot, and judging from this one I'd say she's my favorite of the three children. She has a charmful positive spirit and even gets some funny moments this time. Her energeticness when going so head-ons with her questions about Mr. French is hilarious, especially when she talks to Miss Faversham (one of French's friends, who makes her second appearance since the pilot) on a parkbench. Buffy and Jody get some cute trices, although they don't really appear a lot this time. And it's still more of a Cissy outing, but French brings some of the laughs as usual. Most primarily when she goes up to him at first, and he rudely remarks that he would like to have his own privacy. You tell something's weighing him down.

It gets more dramatic when we get to the climax, and there's a straight 3 minutes with no laugh track whatsoever. And it reminds me of what's so different about old sitcoms compared to new ones (even those from the 80's). There are more times where the laugh track is put aside for some serious dialogue. And the conversation between Cissy and Mrs. Allenby (played by Kathryn Givney, who gives an outstanding performance) is beautifully meaningful, and the revelation of French's backstory made me all fuzzy inside. Cissy is quite touched as well.

The only flaw I have is that it tries to teach you a lesson about respecting people's privacy, but it comes off as kinda forced. It's true she was too intrusive, but the message could have been delivered in a subtler way instead of having 3 or 4 people telling her the same thing.

The Thursday Man is a Thursday to live for.
... except it's Tuesday today.

Last edited:
I kept putting it off, but I finally watched Gotham for the first time:

Three episodes in, finished "The Balloonman". Overall, the narrative is a bit shaky (which is to be expected) and the weekly crime-drama style is merely okay, but it feels like the show is setting a good foundation for its characters, such as: seeing Bruce trying to test himself and following the cases as they progress (contrasting with the Balloonman's words that someone else will take his place w/r/t vigilantism and cleanse Gotham by killing the corrupt), Cobblepot being told that Gotham is a city of opportunity by a crime lord (foreshadowing his rise), etc. It mostly feels like setting up so far (again, to be expected), but it's not a slog to watch because I actually want to see how everything pans out, like the show is teasing me that there's so much more in store.

Gotham gets so much more insane and so much better once the villains start rising up and Barbara isn't boring anymore.

would like to hear more of your thoughts about the show. :bartsmiley:
ironically i feel the show did a really good job of capturing life, for a show mostly about death

everything about nate post season 3 was truly captivating - the slow breakdown of his happy marriage into complete disarray was fasinating to watch, as was the complete self-destructive nature of himself, which led to his expected and later demise in season 5. it is truly bleak and dark stuff, but incredibly realistic. like all the characters in the show, he was just searching for happiness, but he just flew too close to the sun

claire was another realistic character, you could really see her mature over the series, and you really felt for her as she tried to start anew for herself at the end of the series. loved her sarcastic nature too.

david and ruth lacked serious progression as nate and claire, and instead just went in repetitive circles in the series, but then again that's realistic isn't it? no matter how hard some people try to break out of a cycle, there will always be a Jake or a helpless family member to put you back into it

i was glued to brenda from her inception, when she got thrown off her high horse after season 2 she became less interesting, but still a joy to watch. however i wish she had never got back together with nate, they were toxic together

rico/vanessa/keith/george all did their parts as the "secondary" characters. my favourite of the four was probably keith, whose backstory with his family was really interesting to watch, shame they kind of dialled down on his development towards the end of the series

all in all a good show, what are your thoughts on the series?

all in all a good show, what are your thoughts on the series?
it's an all-time favourite of mine and my thoughts on it are summed up pretty well in this post.

really wish hbo would release a high-def complete series box set. the dvds are okay but the image could look so much better.

Watched: the local news, 1970's Match Game on GSN, the 1976 version of 'Carrie' on EPIX and 'Celebrity Legacies' of Marlon Brando and Dennis Hopper on REELZ

Better Call Saul came back last night, so I had to see it. I'm now gearing up for a weekend of new Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes.

Saturday Night Live from last week. High school's being a crafty son of a goat and's preventing me from watching everything and anything that isn't airing on weekends.

I was given the chance to catch up on Walking Dead this past weekend.

The first half of s7 is pretty slow of course and probably the worst run of episodes they've done, but I liked the second half. I'm really curious to see what happens in s8.

The Simpsons ;) just watched the episode when Bart is trying to get out of homework. When you hear Bart, you have 1000 things in your mind.

Well, HBO dropped out of Free Marathon Week, but Showtime is still on board. Time to binge through as much of House of Lies as possible before FMW ends.

MST3K - Space Mutiny.

It's actually the first MST3K episode I ever fully watched. Funny as hell, and great to play in the background while I'm working.

13 Reasons Why

I watched this about a week ago, and I wasn't into it at first, but by the middle or so I was into it. Good god though, the last couple episodes in particular are two of the saddest episodes of TV I've seen. Kind of a slow burn IMO but it eventually got much better, I felt.

Pokemon "The Ghost Of Maiden's Peak".
I know, I know, I should stop talking about it, but this episode was REALLY good. It's where the gang goes to a new island resort which is celebrating a summer festival, where Brock and James fall head-over-heels for a mysterious girl, but she disappears. I got great laughs out of all the scenes of them being completely lovesick, great use of slapstick/physical comedy there. The episode then gets really interesting when it reveals the girl is actually the ghost of someone who waited 2,000 years for her lover to return from the war. He never did, but the girl kept waiting, and eventually turned to stone. And now she takes the spirit of a young man every year, it's Brock and James's turn. Very cool, creepy premise unlike any episode before, but all for the better! I got a lot of great laughs throughout, despite the dark premise, including lots of cute/funny scenes with Pikachu. The episode then takes a very interesting turn when it reveals that the ghost is actually a Gastly, who can talk (And with a cool, echoey voice) and an interesting battle ensues with him shapeshifting into the weaknesses of all of their Pokemon.

Overall, my favorite episode. Top-notch humor, excellent plot, good action. Only complaint is that the reason the girl turns to stone is never explained, also the way the ghost is stopped (Anti-ghost stickers?) is stupid, but overall it's a 9/10.

American Gods, Episode 1.

A bit too melodramatic than I wanted it to be, and there's times where they could've really nailed the emotion by putting in silence instead of licensed music. Still, it's cool to see Neil Gaiman's book actually come to life.
Also, when they announced they were making an adaptation on the book, I thought they were going to play it safe with that one certain bedroom scene near the story's beginning. But holy crap, they actually stuck close to the book on that. I gotta give them credit, that's scenes going to be one for the ages.

Starz gave us a free preview to close out Free Marathon Week. I recorded the first episode and I will watch it soon. Thankfully, it's coming to Amazon Prime soon so I can watch it legally after it finishes on Starz.

I've been catching up on Regal Academy lately. It's a fun little fairy tale parody-esque show. I do like that despite being the main character, Rose doesn't hog the spotlight all the time.

YESTERDAY:

The Padres/Giants game

Iron Chef Gauntlet

Simpsons

Match Game

The local news

Looks like Nat Geo's unfurled another narrative mini-series. Genius this time. It's an Albert Einstein biopic. I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Back