What're You Listening to?

^The 4th symphony is so overshadowed by the 3rd and 5th, but I may prefer it to both of those.

Obviously I like it very much and the beginning bars are fantastic (as is often the case with Beethoven. I think he put much thought into especially the beginning of a piece) but I still disagree... The fifth is magical, most of all the transition between the 3rd and 4th movement is and the first movement is ofc perfect. I have to confess that I have not listened to the 3rd and 4th movement of the fourth though. (likewise with the 3rd! Probably prefer the 3rd over the fourth as well. The 1st movement is something else for sure... and the 2nd movement has so much I am so weak for the major section)
the theme in the fourth is so heroic but more beautiful than those. also syncopes :heart:

the 9th is the best (and that's even... pleb-er)
the definite beethoven symphonies rank list :violin:
1. the ninth 'choral'
2. the third 'eroica'
3. the fifth 'fate'
4. the sixth 'pastoral'
5. the seventh
6. the fourth
7. the eigth
and who has even listened to 1-2?

:gatorfight:

ok i put it there more because of what it meant for Beethoven's works after that. In terms of creativity it should maybe be above the ninth... but i would put it between the seventh and the fourth at rank 5 were it not for that.

also eyy I've played the first movement on the 6th symphony on the piano, was planning to make it for a concert on the countryside haha but it wasn't ready for that date : / great great great music for piano though

My ranking:

9 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1

9th as first is clichéd, sure, but it really is one of the greatest symphonies and one of the greatest works period. Completely redefined the "symphony". Now ranking Mahler would be a bit harder...

Peter Gabriel III (Melt)

The album where Phil Collins and Hugh Padgham invented the gated drum sound (Peter didn't want any cymbals on the record)

Back