What is with Fox?

H

Homer

Don't they know how holidays/special events work? You celebrate them before or on the day they occur, not after. It was bad enough they had to wait almost a week after Halloween to air the Halloween episode but now they're going to play Star Wars: Episode One in place of The Simpsons this Sunday as a Thanksgiving movie. Granted I'm not in television so I don't know how they make their decisions but this just seems retarded. Especially considering that they're playing The Wedding Singer on Thursday. I can understand why they wouldn't have their usual programming on a holiday but why three days after? And really, how many people do you think are going to watch Episode One on Fox? It came out two years ago and everyone who hasn't already seen it probably doesn't want to, especially on a network with commercials every twenty minutes or so. I guess Fox must love messing with The Simpsons.

Its all about ratings... they know people are going to be gathered around... around the TV that is... and their normal programming would pull in some ratings, but what would really get people to spend a nice family gathering around the boob-tube would be a "first time on TV movie!" Networks do it cuz all the other networks are doing it too...

And I'll bet you dollars to donuts a lot of people do watch "Epsiode I" on Sunday.
To be honest, I don't agree with all the people who think that Fox has it in for "The Simpsons". The show's just in a time slot that gets pre-empted a lot, either for sports or holiday material (which is most commonly aired on weekends, especially Sunday during prime time). The show is one of their most-watched, highest-rated staples. It's just in an awkward spot. They won't move it, though, because when it does air, it usually leads that time slot. They couldn't move it back to Thursdays 'coz "Friends" is too much competition.

Mr. Broom said:
And I'll bet you dollars to donuts a lot of people do watch "Epsiode I" on Sunday.
To be honest, I don't agree with all the people who think that Fox has it in for "The Simpsons". The show's just in a time slot that gets pre-empted a lot, either for sports or holiday material (which is most commonly aired on weekends, especially Sunday during prime time). The show is one of their most-watched, highest-rated staples. It's just in an awkward spot. They won't move it, though, because when it does air, it usually leads that time slot. They couldn't move it back to Thursdays 'coz "Friends" is too much competition.

True, a lot of people probably will watch Episode 1 on Sunday. Just as many would have watched it on Thursday though. I don't think Fox has it in for The Simpsons, they just seem to have no respect for it. Not to mention The Simpsons is one of the biggest reasons Fox even became the huge network it is today.

Homer said:

True, a lot of people probably will watch Episode 1 on Sunday. Just as many would have watched it on Thursday though. I don't think Fox has it in for The Simpsons, they just seem to have no respect for it.
Have to disagree there. Thanksgiving's for family programming and parades, when all the networks pull out the big guns. Not the best ratings night for what boils down to a sci-fi/action flic. I agree with FOX's time slot decision for "Episode I". I'm also pissed that "The Simpsons" has to suffer for it.
Fans need to stop bashing FOX. "The Simpsons made FOX what it is." Yeah? Vice versa, guys. None of the Big Three 13 years ago would've given the show a shot. So just chill. All the episodes will be aired eventually. What's the problem? Lateness? So? We've waited all summer for new episodes and now people can't wait a little longer? Please.

I hate Fox's stupid promos two. Like before Simpsons starts it will say Malcolm in thirty but now- And it will show Homer running around on fire, and it will say "uh-oh, Homer's on fire" Great joke guys, why even watch the show, when you have the great humor of the fox's narrator.

fox sucks, always have always will. if the simpsons were smart they would move to a network that people actually respect. :bart:

I'm glad we're bothering to post intelligent conversation about FOX. Why does FOX suck? "Because they do." People like this make me very very tired. We need to just have a thread called "Flame FOX" to keep crap like this out of real discussions. It'd be the most popular thread, of course. :boring:

I don't like some of Fox's decisions, but they're still a good company. Although, they should respect the Simpsons a lot. Hell, everyone should. The Simpsons set the path for almost every comedy show you see today. King Of The Hill, Family Guy, both of those are great shows that never would have developed they way they have without The Simpsons leading the way. The Simpsons are the ones that made cartoons acceptable to teens and adults! The Simpsons have really shaped TV to make it what it is today.

Mr. Broom said:
I'm glad we're bothering to post intelligent conversation about FOX. Why does FOX suck? "Because they do." People like this make me very very tired. We need to just have a thread called "Flame FOX" to keep crap like this out of real discussions. It'd be the most popular thread, of course. :boring:

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I hate Fox is because I hate football or baseball (all sports for that matter) yet every single year they both interfere with my television viewing. And no, I don't live just to watch tv but Sunday nights are usually a time when I'm home dreading Monday morning so tv (and video games) are what I use to take my mind off the coming work week. It just doesn't seem fair when you think about it. Football and Baseball are on at least three times a week for about four hours each time, every news program devotes a good ten minutes to them, there are about ten channels just for them, countless magazines, newspapers have whole sections just for them, tons of bars with them as the theme, and they're on all day Sunday. Yet despite all that they still need to take the measly half hour given to The Simpsons. Now, if I like sports I would probably love Fox and have nothing to complain about but I don't.

You know what's really sad about Fox's ads for Episode One? Its false advertising. They said its the first time on network tv that the movie is being aired. Well, it just so happened that Fox themselves aired it last year.

DotheBartman said:
You know what's really sad about Fox's ads for Episode One? Its false advertising. They said its the first time on network tv that the movie is being aired. Well, it just so happened that Fox themselves aired it last year.
I am one hundred percent certain that they did not. You can't get away with saying, "the first time on network TV" if you did it the year before. This time a year ago was only eighteen months after the theatrical release of "Episode I", which is too soon for a network TV release.
Honestly, I think FOX needs to find a new night for "The Simpsons" to take care of this problem. A return to Thursdays is out ("Friends"). I think Wednesday, myself. Fewer sports pre-empts by far. Much happier for everyone. But then, I just thought of this now. Probably tons of problems with it.

Mr. Broom said:

I am one hundred percent certain that they did not. You can't get away with saying, "the first time on network TV" if you did it the year before. This time a year ago was only eighteen months after the theatrical release of "Episode I", which is too soon for a network TV release.
Honestly, I think FOX needs to find a new night for "The Simpsons" to take care of this problem. A return to Thursdays is out ("Friends"). I think Wednesday, myself. Fewer sports pre-empts by far. Much happier for everyone. But then, I just thought of this now. Probably tons of problems with it.

No, I am sure they aired it. Maybe not quite a year ago, maybe more than a year ago, but I'm sure they've done it, I remember specifically.

Back