what is the best animated show at the moment?

Swartzweldian

So.. Chinese or Japanese?
Beavis and Butt-Head! Just as funny as it's always been.
Next would be Futurama; something feels off with the show right now, but it's still pretty solid in general.
Then Bob's Burgers. This show's building up some momentum and was quite enjoyable during its first season.
Then South Park. Hit or miss generally, but still interesting and the last half of the recent season was very good.
Then American Dad and The Simpsons. AD is more consistent but can get to be too much, Simps is very inconsistent but is still able to do a good one here and there.

After that are shows I don't like or care about. Or haven't seen enough of.

I definitely agree with Beavis and Butthead. I don't think the show will be nearly as successful as it was for it's first run. It was just a perfect fit for the 90s. The show however is as good as it ever was. Easily better IMO than any other current animated show.

Right now it's the only new animated show I even watch.

Lolrus

Dividing by Zero ...$slkdafjk
Beavis and Butthead is by far the best animated show out there right now. American Dad is second, just because it hasn't totally blown apart like Family Guy has recently. Then there's South Park. Futurama is leagues ahead of FG and the Simpsons, but it's not as good as it was during the original run.

Inblackestnight

The lesson here is, never try
In my opinion Archer is the best animated show out there right now. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the show it's on FX on Thursdays and the it's currently in the third season; season two comes out in stores next week. I would highly recommend this show to fans of animated comedy. South Park and Simpsons would be next for me. I never really liked American Dad, I've lost interest in Family Guy (for the most part), I haven't been keeping up with Futurama or Bob's Burgers (is that even still on?), and I don't think Beavis & Butthead should've returned at all; not because it's a bad show but it was sort-of a generational thing if that makes any sense. There are a few other animated shows that are non-comedy I sometimes catch online but Archer is still my current favorite.

Shaunbadia

Resident Relic of Problematic Periods
Global Moderator
In order:

Futurama
American Dad
Beavis and Butt-Head

If I had too, I'd give Family Guy the number 4 spot and the 5th spot to South Park. The Simpsons and The Cleveland show tie at 6.

Sam

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Why did you guys on the first page both say Aqua Unit Patrol Squid One?

Sam

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Well, I can understand one person, but two people said the same typo.

Walid

Executive Vice President
that's not that uncommon.

or, the first person made the typo, and then the second person saw the post, and without thinking just copied down what person #1 said. i've done that before in other threads

Ryan

hoot
God I hope Napoleon Dynamite bombs. Bob's Burgers will get a default renewal and I will be so very happy.

Quote Unquote Sir

Do you have a receipt?
In order:

Futurama
American Dad
Beavis and Butt-Head

Good choices. Those are the only three animated shows currently being produced that I enjoy watching. It's a little amazing that "Futurama" and "Beavis and Butt-Head" have been as good as they were in their past seasons, so many years after their debuts.

I really didn't expect that, after how hard and how fast "Family Guy" tanked after its resurrection. The quality of the new "Beavis and Butt-Head" is especially surprising.

I never imagined a '90s touchstone like that could come back so strong and be one of the most consistently solid shows on TV in 2011. Meanwhile, its fellow '90s icon "The Simpsons" continues to rot.

Makes me wonder if maybe "The Simpsons" being cancelled for 5-10 years and then coming back might have lead to it being better in its current incarnation.

Last edited:

TriforceBun

*RIP Marcia Wallace*
Beavis and Butt-Head just wrapped up its new season, and I have to say it was excellent from start to finish. Great job, Mike Judge! Let's hope the boys stick around for awhile, because I enjoyed new B&B more than any recent season of an animated show.

DotheBartman

SuperFriend
I only caught a few of the Beavis and Buttheads, but they were surprisingly good. Especially the one on the army base.

I still enjoyed Futurama and South Park more, though. Although I think It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and maybe 30 Rock were probably the strongest/most consistent sitcoms for me during 2011.

Sam

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I really don't like new South Park for some reason. I cannot get into it. Hopefully season 16 picks it up off the ground, and Futurama is very mediocre right now.

I've given up on New Futurama

As for South Park, I'll watch a few more seasons, but if they're going to get renewed again I probably won't bother watching anymore.

Swoony

Just pity laugh
^Pretty much...but it's hilarious. I enjoy the dry, sarcastic comedy that they use.

bobs-burgers.jpg

christmas_ape

Junior Camper
I just watched Season 4 of Venture Brothers, and I have to say it's better than anything else I've seen recently. The characters have far more depth than I can remember seeing in a cartoon since classic era Simpsons, plus it's if anything funnier than earlier seasons in my opinion. Being the other side of the atlantic from most of you, there are a few shows mentioned here I haven't seen such as Archer and the new Beavis and Butthead though.

Z

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Ah, the Venture Bros. A show I keep forgetting to watch. I'm with you on this one christmas_ape; the characters are well written, the comedy (though different) is enjoyable, the plots are also enjoyable and the theme of failure is subtle enough to not interfere with the plot.

Insomnia

coughing up snot
I love to many cartoons. But airing at the moment I'd say Archer and Frankenhole (which no ones ever heard of).

YellowFever

Pin Pal
I'm gonna show a little love for 'The Simpsons' and say 'The Simpsons', seriously, I do love 'Family Guy' and 'American Dad' but their quality has vastly declied way faster than 'The Simpsons' ever had. I couldn't ever imagine 'Family Guy' being as good as 'The Simpsons' is right now (and 'The Simpsons' is still good, many people get confused between the words 'great' and 'good', it used to be great, bloody fantastic, now it's good, not great, good, better than most crap on TV nowadays anyway) And 'South Park', whilst still good isn't as great as the first seven seasons in my opinion, such a shame, lets hope the next five seasons aren't gonna drop it anymore...

jordanwj

Junior Camper
Family Guy has improved drastically these last few seasons, mind you it will never have the appeal and the wit of classic Simpsons, but I like McFarline's humour (could care less for the cutaways), don't like American Dad, or the Cleveland Show, never had never will. But I would have to say South Park reigns supreme in my list. Always has, new season starts in March. The first season is...less than stellar in my opinion but its worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is a hilarious movie so yeah South Park.

Company Picnic

Reality, eh?
Probably agree with people who are saying Archer. It really didn't appeal to me at first but after watching a few episodes I'm beginning to enjoy it.

The first season of Bobs Burgers had some very well conducted humour and the characterisations are pretty solid but overrall it didn't interest me a huge amount. South Park has declined considerably, Family Guy has never really interested me, and The Cleveland Show is simply terrible. Not seen any new Futurama episodes but it was always a reliable show in the past so I should try them, really. I think there are a lot of people who really want to see KOTH return :(

YellowFever

Pin Pal
I haven't actually really seen a lot of the last few seasons of 'Family Guy', and whilst I have most of them on DVD I haven't really gotten around to watching them as I found the quality dipped a bit around the 6th or 7th season but I'll give it another go, probably one day in my ultimate re-watch (I do this sort of thing a lot, go on a TV-binge of the same show constantly from start to finish). And don't get me wrong I still love South Park, will always hold a strong place in my heart, I just find that some of the later seasons have less classic episodes than the older seasons do, but I am nevertheless glad it's been renewed up until 2016!