What if Springfield's state was revealed?

Two Guys a Girl and a kat

the protagonist of reality
For years, maybe even decades, people have been scouring every little detail trying to find out what state Springfield is in...but what if it was finally revealed?

Would it make The Simpsons more enjoyable? Less enjoyable? Would it even effect anything?

Discuss.

It's not supposed to have a specific location. It just represents Anytown USA, and the 'hints' to it's location are most likely just intended as jokes.

There have been enough “clues” that every state has been ruled out. They could reveal one state, then in the next episode, reveal a different state.

If they reveal which state, that I think will open the door to us comparing "The Simpsons Springfield" with the Springfield to that state and even trying to explain mistakes in episodes due to "That statr's Springfield"

Revealing the location of Springfield would be tantamount to Homer ceasing to say "d'oh"; it's one of the longest running gags of the series, and it'd be dumb to waste all of that for a throwaway line. As much as the meta-jokes about Springfield being a geographic impossibility are funny, the ambiguity of Springfield also represents Springfield's identity as Anytown, USA (and from a practical standpoint, it allows writers to adapt Springfield for the episode's needs).

For years, maybe even decades, people have been scouring every little detail trying to find out what state Springfield is in...but what if it was finally revealed?

Would it make The Simpsons more enjoyable? Less enjoyable? Would it even effect anything?

Discuss.

Just to end the thread, it's the state that borders Ohio, Maine, Nevada, and Kentucky.

At this point, I just consider Springfield to be in Matt Groening's home state of Oregon and eagerly await a crossover with Gravity Falls.

There is no reason whatsoever they would do this. Just none. If by 'what if they did', you mean what would happen following it; then I would say outcry from nerds like us on the internet. I think even the Simpsons won't sink so low in its old age to do that.

It's addressed in a deleted scene for The Bart Of War. Milhouse says something along the lines of "The kids on South Park live in Colorado just like us...sometimes." I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the town from time to time like at the end of Trash of The Titans.

A couple years ago, I would've given anything for them to reveal the state, because it bugged me so much that it was never known. I've gotten over that, though, and agree that it would just ruin a beloved gag. It could be salvaged a little if they changed the state every time, but that would probably get old after a while.

i don't think it would effect anything because there are so many Springfield's in the u.s and i think they like keeping it a mystery but Matt Groening did say he based the show off of the town he lives in which is somewhere in Oregon.

On other airings, I think they said it was in Missouri. The Kentucky one was just the one that made it to DVD. And it's the state I go with when I think of Springfield.

Back