What do I think about Star Trek?

OldSchoolerSimpsons

Livin' Like Larry David
Since I've oddly enough been invited by a Klingon convention, I suddenly came up with the idea that I would finally watch something I had been avoiding: Star Trek. And it's not so much the show itself as much as it is the over-the-top fandom which put me off. But nevertheless, I think(?) I will go on it just for fun. Before however, to have done my minor research, I'll watch the first 3 episodes from the original, then each pilot from the spin-offs. Then, if I am a fan by then, I might go back and continue reviewing... well, as much as I feel like.

I'm guessing a lot here have seen it, but if you want a perspective from a new watcher, here you have it. I'm not expecting this show to be the greatest thing ever (there's no way it can live up to the downright insane hype, if I'm correct in assuming so), but that I hopefully will have fun watching it at least.

t8Qnox2.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I don't know if watching just the pilots for each series after TOS is the way to go here. A few of them didn't really form a true identity until a few seasons in, and some even changed tone quite a bit mid-run (Enterprise, Deep Space 9). It will be interesting to see the perspectives of someone who's new to all of this though, looking forward to reading!

NOTE: There could be spoilers for some episodes.

The Man Trap 8/10

It's easy to see how this series became a cultural phenomenon, as this was quite unique. The settings, the effects, the storytelling, this must have felt pretty fresh when it came out. I haven't gotten to the nerdiest part yet (with special greetings or Klingon language), but there was already something big growing from the start. It's a very confident pilot, and you get a feeling of how the characters are quickly. It's a daring first story as well, about a shapeshifter who kills the crew and takes the form of anyone, including someone's old love (who is kept alive by salt for some reason). Speaking of the characters, I actually really like them. Most of all Dr. McCoy, who is depicted as a sympathetic man with a heart of gold. It's suspenseful as well, as it's not obvious right away who is going after the crew. For example, you for a very long time see... the most silent guy ever, who suddenly transforms into a black man?! Genius, haha. The most enjoyable aspect though, is the unintentional comedy. Sometimes I found myself chuckling, even laughing at some of the lines, acting or execution of scenes. Sci-fi cheese just how I love it. The scene where the shapeshifter (transformed as a black man) first acts flirty against Uhura, then just goes DEAD SILENT was the funniest part of the whole episode.
Why haven't I checked this show out before? It looks like it's just right up my alley. I hope it keeps up this level of entertainment.

The next two episodes are good ones. Charlie X made me lol. And the 3rd episode is just cool sci-fi (there were rumors before the most recent Star Trek movie that it would be based on this episode, but sadly it wasn't)

Just an FYI, there is also an earlier pilot episode called "The Cage" which is required viewing if you're going to watch the entire series.

If you are looking for a couple other great episodes to watch, try "Space Seed" and "The Doomsday Machine". And there is always "The Trouble with Tribbles". I felt that about half the episodes in the series were kind of boring, crappy, or a chore to watch through, but overall it's a good show with plenty of entertaining episodes.

If you want to get a sense of the other Star Trek shows, keep in mind that the pilots don't represent the shows very well. TNG's whole first season is pretty terrible for example. Deep Space 9 doesn't really get into a groove until after season 1 and I didn't start liking the show till later. Voyager's first episode starts kind of boring too with a lot of setup.

There's only one episode of the animated series worth watching, "Yesteryear".

i watched a lot of star trek tos, tng and voyager when i was younger and i've been meaning to get back into lately but i still haven't got round to it. maybe i'll try to binge watch most of the episodes by the time the 2017 series starts.

I like the black sheep Voyager because that's actually the one I grew up with. So hard to sit through some eps nowadays, though. They relied on Holodeck fakeout stories too much sometimes. Like a lot of people I didn't really start getting super into it until Seven of Nine showed up, though I would guess that other people enjoyed her for...more obvious reasons. I liked Kes and the whole storyline with her that came before but it's not as memorable to me. I did find the show's cheese factor to be charming and man they threw out some good/awful lines...

Coincidentally, an article was out on Monday with three of my fave cheese moments (one of them literal cheese) in the series:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/my-5-favorite-lines-from-star-trek-voyager-1778243870

Star Trek is pretty cool (at least the original series, it's six movies and the reboot too). I remember really liking the 2009 movie and when 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness came to theaters I went to see it because I thought it would be fun seeing a Trek film on the big screen (and it was even if the film itself doesn't hold well). Later that year I saw the old movies (minus Nemesis since they skipped it) when they aired on TV and at one point the year after that I started watching the original series on Netflix (not bingewatching) and finished it last year; it's a dated but fun and entertaining retro series.

Last edited:
Isn't Enterprise considered the real black sheep of the franchise though? At least Voyager went on for seven seasons, Enterprise got cancelled after its fourth (and best) season, suffered declining ratings, and ended up killing the franchise for four years.

I agree that Voyager got much more intresting when Seven of Nine joined the cast. She and The Doctor were the best characters on the show. Helps that Jeri Ryan and Robert Picardo were fantastic actors and that their characters were often given the best stories.

Will admit that I never watched Enterprise but at the time it was airing/finishing, Voyager was definitely crapped on more than Deep Space Nine.

Oh and uh I totally do not understand the relationship Seven of Nine ended up in. At all.

I don't get people's problem with Nemesis. It was way better than Insurrection. I would have gone and saw 5 more TNG movies. I liked Nemesis. Yes the bad guy was lame, but when they rammed the ship that was awesome.

Also Enterprise was great. I saw it years after it was cancelled, and had heard how it was bad and that trek fans say it didn't follow trek faithfully etc etc.

So I was surprised when I watched it to find out it was totally cool. Also, it paid tons of attention to old trek and was faithful to it! They echoed stories from TOS. They followed trek canon carefully, for example they reference First Contact several times, they made sure humans didn't see the Romulans, they even take the time to explain how the Klingons look different in TOS lol.

Similarly trekkies complained that Star Trek 2009 paid no attention to trek canon, but again, nope, that movie even had references to Archer and the Enterprise show, it had proper spock history, and it tied in the TNG era with Spock and the Romulans perfectly. It was a bit odd how it seemed to directly rip off the story from season 3 of Enterprise though... Into Darkness had issues though. Spock's "Khan!!" wasn't earned, because we've only seen them in 2 movies together - I guess we are supposed to have read all the comic books and get that they are big friends now and stuff. Why do they need warp drive to use thrusters? Ugh. It's Into Darkness that deserves the "didn't follow trek canon" label. It was still mostly cool and I'll take any new Star Trek stuff, but man, those thrusters...

Some people don't seem to get that the new Star Trek movie does not erase the old star trek stuff. It's not a new canon. In the past Enterprise still existed. Also, the new timeline relies on Spock and Nero coming back in time from the original timeline. Currently, in the original timeline, nero and spock have just disappeared through time portals. That didn't destroy the universe, time carries on, and you can have a show in that timeline where they talk about the time when Spock disappeared etc.

Charlie X 9.4/10

The starship gets a new young member onboard, who quickly becomes curious and tries to get along with everyone and learn everything about the ship. But it doesn't go like he expected...
This episode was simply great. I never thought I would feel so emotional during a show like this.
Robert Walker Jr. plays Charlie, and he does a phenomenal job. His acting is so realistic that when the character acts awkward I don't just cringe and roll my eyes, I actually can really feel his awkwardness, he makes you understand why somebody new would be so uncomfortable and weird against a new group of people he doesn't understand the workings of. The way he speaks is odd, the way he moves is odd, and if you truly want to talk about odd, it's his infatuation with Janice. Not that falling in love with someone is weird, but how he shows it makes you at unease. It's really, really, really hard to watch. The scenes with him and Kirk though, are my favorite. Kirk tries so hard to be pedagogic and patient, but it seems like no matter what it does... it's not working. To my disappointment, Dr. McCoy doesn't have a lot of screentime, but that is made up by the impressive acting talent by Walker as the confused young teenager who just wants to fit in.
Kirk trying to explain sexual harrassment to Charlie is also classic. It's an early example of barriers it tried to break in its time by not straying away from serious subject matters (it became famous for being one of the earliest shows to show an interracial kiss).
My only flaw is that even though Charlie was sympathetic, he was also a bit of an asshole. Did he really have to transform a girl he didn't speak to into a gecko?? And how come he then stll transformed her (Or should I now say it?) into a flower instead? That was so strange.

Insurrection is the worst of the TNG movies. Nemesis was just a poor man's Wrath of Khan, Insurrection was extremely boring and forgettable, and had arguably the least interesting Star Trek movie villain ever. The Final Frontier is still the worst Star Trek film of all time though.

As for Enterprise, the show only got really good in it's last two seasons. The first two seasons were really boring and completely aimless, with no real direction or idea of what it was about. At least in the third season, even if the show had basically turned into "24 in Space", at least it finally had direction. Season 4 was without a doubt the best season though, since they had a new head writer and the show finally remembered it was supposed to be a prequel and actually began showing the origins of stuff we would see in later shows (the Vulcans stopped being assholes, the start of the Federation, the Romulans, etc). The finale was completely terrible though.

I think Final Frontier has some really powerful scenes (the part with McCoy reliving his father's death is pretty sad and disturbing) and kind of an interesting setting (crappy desert world that is also for some reason a diplomatic meeting place feels like Babylon 5 meets Tattooine) but the whole "search for God" thing is just stupid, if only because a lot of TOS plots feature some advanced entity or computer having people believe it's God/a god/goddess.

Since the pilot is too long to watch, I'll instead review the second episode.

The Next Generation: The Naked Now 7.8/10

When an intoxicating fume invades the ship, everyone starts acting different from their usual selves.
So what can I say? It was, uuuh... peculiar. It's quite a jump that I go from stories about transformation and supernatural powers to... people getting drunk. I guess this was quite fun to watch, but also very strange. The humor worked for the most part, I got some laughs out of Data as drunk. What I really found interesting is how adult the humor was. Tons of sexual innuendos, we even had Data getting laid (not shown of course, but we know it happened) since he was "fully functional". Patrick Stewart was great as Captain Picard, who tries to maintain a serious image among this mess. Everyone did a solid job and managed to deliver on the absurd premise this episode had. Some quotable moments, and it amused me to no end when Jim Shimoda (his name, I think) had pulled out all the data chips and played with them like a child. My only real problem was that the plot felt quite thin. "Get these people sober or we'll die" basically. It makes for a funny 40 minutes, but could have needed something more to chew. Also, for being drunk some of them seemed quite levelheaded. Would you really know how to operate a ship when intoxicated?
Silly, but I still liked it. Notably more lighthearted than the original series.

Last edited:
That episode is actually a remake (basically) of episode 4 of the original series, "The Naked Time". OSS what happened to you watching 3 episodes of the original series? If you had watched "The Naked Time" then The Naked Now would not be much of a jump I guess :P

Well, if I decide to go the convention, I need to hurry up a bit if I'm gonna keep track of all the versions. I don't think I'll have time to go beyond Deep Space Nine though, so I'll probably just go back to reviewing the original series after that.

Classic Sci-fi Tv and movies have always had Spaceships & rayguns,.. What set Trek apart from all its 50's counter-parts is the Transporter. Without it, it would be like a Star Wars movie without a Lightsaber. (perhaps Rouge One will prove me wrong?)
I think I know what was going thru those post WWII peoples heads at the time.. In their lifetime they saw the invention of a human voice transporter (Radio)..Then a moving human image transporter (TV) images being sent thru air, recieved and reassembled inside your tv set.. They obviously thought a 3D full body thing would be the next logical step?.. silly humans! What a typical 60's-ish thing to do. All other Sci-fi franchises and one shots since then looked at it and said, "Pass".

Actually, I heard that originally the show was going to have the saucer section of the enterprise disconnect and land on the planets but it was too expensive and difficult on the special effects budget so they invented the transporter for budget reasons lol.

It is funny how sci fi from the late 60's (for example 2001 space odyssey) thought we would be so much further along today. It makes total sense, because if (space faring) technology progressed at the pace it was back then, we totally would have a colony on the moon and space planes.

Never seen Star Trek. All I know about it is thanks to references on Family Guy and Futurama's Where No Fan Has Gone Before

#1: THE MAN TRAP

- well since this is our maiden voyage i obviously must observe some of the primary faults that i assume will follow me through my journey regarding the production at hand. it shouldn't be a surprise that the acting can be a bit shoddy, the action sequences can be anywhere from cheesy to downright hilarious in their execution, the usage of certain characters can be questionable and as much as im sure this shit was groundbreaking in its way back in the day the sci-fi elements can shift from relative plausibility to window dressing to what feels like a goofy derivative monster of the week or b-movie type production. frankly however, it's watchable. enough that i think i'll be able to withstand the duration of this infamous dated work of envelope-pushing cheesy bullshit. to boldly go where millions of nerds have gone before.

- regarding this specific tale, i had alot of feelings regarding tonal issues and troubles with the decision to opt for offering the audience such omnipotence to the proceedings. the former isn't shocking, the amateurish sets, the corny dialogue and the rather slovenly pacing of the creature's mischief - which despite multiple deaths is about what it comes off as rather than any legitimate intimdating invasion of the safe quarters of our heroes - all of these things guarantee that this wont be some grand thriller, but the tone is especially struck by the decisions made as far as how to make our protagonists so utterly clueless and worthless and have them trailing an antagonist who so easily should be found out but they remain utterly befuddled the entire time. our creature in its various impersonations is so unbelievably transparent and harbors so many tells with dead-eyed staring and creepy smirks and just fucking Standing Idly in the open around other characters doing their business as though thats inconspicuous, yeah all that should give this thing away quickly but we have a runtime to stretch things to. the solution here, in a vague sense, would be to change the episode's direction and either give our characters a bit more sense of competency - considering this is their fucking job - OR perhaps more helpfully at least give us, the audience, a sense of being as left in the dark as them. what could potentially be an intriguing mystery if directed more intelligently and offering us little fragments of logic to piece together, becomes an exercise in watching the protagonists wander aimlessly through scenes of law & order esque stone faced declarations and exposition as we watch this creature slowly deplete the crew, it becomes an almost looney tunes level game of cat & mouse where all i as a viewer can feel is C'MON FUCKIN REALLY THAT IS NOT MCCOY HE'S JUST LIKE STARING INTO SPACE HES MAKING WEIRD INHUMAN FACES etc. etc. if you give me all this knowledge you take away any excitement anyway, at this rate the only way this sub-twilight zone concept of a shapeshifter fucking shit up all sneaky like only interests me if the monster itself is intriguing and yuuuup it isn't. it doesn't talk alot, it tricks people but it isn't commendably written or legitimately conniving, these guys are just contrived to be idiots and mccoy especially is too busy thinking with his dick to do anything useful until the very end and even then he drags on staring as it nearly kills kirk. the monster is brought down completely in two shots so it isn't powerful either. it isn't intimidating unless you find awkward silences and face grabbing scary in some way. in every sense its a pretty low level villain, and once it finally gets its real form revealed that is also disappointing because it looks like fffffucking Swamp Thing. the whole adventure here loses alot of potential organic flow, frankly it moves along a contrived path of improbable misunderstandings and characters simply not catching a whiff of anything odd, it barely even makes sense that it takes the creature socking spock to make mccoy see any reason, considering that he wouldn't shoot it even when it began trying to sap kirk of his salt. it can't be exciting because the idea isn't intriguing on its own and the direction tells us everything and makes us too damn smart to accept how dumb our supposed heroes are.

- so, is this episode terrible then? well, no. it definitely has alot of fundamental bullshit that deters any actual tension (along some hilarious shit like kirk and spock wormin thru th sand and the shot that stuns crater, oh my god that visual is so bad its fantastic), but thankfully the episode even as it focuses on a rather unengaging and even stupid villain fills the spaces with alot of Little Things that show me why i may be able to enjoy and appreciate this show even in the roughest moments. the creature isn't interesting but i did still wonder who it would turn into next, i did wonder how everyone would react to the creature, i did wonder about the creatures actual origins (though i can't say they were particularly exciting), but mostly i was intrigued by the stuff that had nothing to do with the main tale. little back-and-forths between characters establish a potentially strong or at least believable ensemble, cheap but amusing props like that Flower Puppet that is straight up a hand and doesn't even try to hide it but i appreciate it because though it isn't relevant that much to the story - besides attempting to alert in its wailing siren call that green isn't green - its just nice to see these things that make the world feel more alive. granted thats a bit dented with the fact that the planet containing the creature and crater feels otherwise entirely dead but that adds to the actually imposing elements of the creature, showing that it was able to swallow this planets lifeforce basically whole, the only element of the creature that actually feels all-encompassingly creepy and powerful, for the obvious reason that unlike most of the story material here, it is merely implied and not spelled out so clearly for us that all we can rely on is the characters to make the adventure interesting. yet on the latter point while they acted pretty foolish pretty consistently they still offered some fine dialogure, some believable moments like trying to figure out what was killing things at first, it really only becomes unbelievable as the creature's presence on the enterprise becomes more notable, especially when it comes in contact with mccoy as nancy and he just doesn't even budge or hesitate and just assumes Yeah Its Fuckin Nancy Lets Get This Dick Wet Yo. that i think was the line. at times it feels like a mystery, at times it feels like a crime drama, at times very casual and dialogue based and at times a bit more action-oriented (though again, lol). so to some credit this isn't extremely competent but there is a firm heart here, passion exerted and a desire to approach a story for many angles. it isn't rigid, it doesn't play the entire hour like a bunch of idiots not catching an alien, they do actually get certain things done and to be fair them not recognizing the creature paired with us knowing full well whats going on puts a pin in potential suspense but does not make the ride completely joyless. the enterprise does feel alive, as an early episode does it carries through the various parts of the ship paying attention to all the various folks comprising the encapsulated ecosystem of this small but definitive locale in the series where im sure alot of the calms before storms and more dialogue-based moments will take place to give context and a bit of humanity to each adventure. it isn't like this is a plus in every sense, really this episode in a vacuum cant be credited for this at all, its more because its the first one. still, i can only judge something based on my enjoyment in the moment, and as it stands it did give this thing more of a pulse than i was expecting, and if im gonna have to watch the supposedly capable captain kirk fail to put two and two together on a creature that is making weird faces right in front of him then at least give me something to compliment that, thats what stops this from being a particularly bad looney tunes production, the idiocy is a small part of a greater whole and even though it might influence every action here the actions themselves can produce interesting or creative or just amusing scenes. it's deeply flawed, as many early and especially first episodes are - oh what? the sixth episode you say? well then, that is a bit pathetic - but really its actually kind fun. i could spend all the time in the world explaining how this lacks the suspense it could have in more capable hands who have an eye for subtlety or tone or what have you, but the adventure is still fun, watching the creature infiltrate the ship and worm its way around, watching the crew slowly crack the more subtle parts of the mystery, watching the believable in-the-moment goings on of the ship and the little touches that make it feel rather alive, feeling perhaps a sliver of tension when it brings down another crew member, knowing that it will never get its way but is certainly coming dangerously close, all the while still knowing that it shouldn't have been able to at all. this thing cant withstand even casual analysis, but it also manages to withstand the blows with a bit of earnest, cheesy corny fun intact. a bit. there's work to be done here, alot of it, to make things more thorough, more believable, more lively, and i hope that im not always feeling like im watching a mystery rather than taking part. whether or not they'll ever legitimately wrangle me in, make me feel involved, remains to be seen. for now, ill take this as an introduction. dopey in the logic and details but genuinely spirited and intrigued enough in itself to transcend its internal flaws via greater attention to the world its constructing. ultimately, the most outright Star Trek-y elements may save even the least Star Trek-y of stories. but it cant rescue the show forever.

this episode gets a C +.

NEXT VOYAGE! well it appears the gals of the ship wanna fuck a big foreheaded guy who doesn't know what girls are, also he appears to have some sort of unprecented super strength because he wiped out some people then knocked spock's head into a wall and gave him a Boo Boo. this is sure to be An Episode Of Star Trek. also someone go back in time and tells nichelle nichols to sing like 100% less.

Back