Was season 17 that much of a decline?

Nah, I found that season 16 declined at roughly the same rate as 17. Sure, 17 was worse than 16, but it's far from the first major decline in the show's history. By season 16, the show had basically become a flavorless mush. 17 wasn't that much worse.

Matty puts it best. Seasons 16 and up can best be described as the Rootmarm era. Having said that, I don't mind seasons 13-15 of the Jean era. I can rewatch it without being induced to sleep.

People hate the Italian Bob? It's disjointed as hell, but a lot of the jokes landed for me. Bob was the worst part weirdly enough. I guess if that's the make or break episode for the reputation of the entire season...hey, they had a good Treehouse that year. Definitely a primer for what's to come though in terms of autopilot dullness.

I think that Jean & crew started feeling a little tired and uninspired (burned out, maybe?) during season 17 and I would say that 17 did mark a downward trend as I don't recall as much overall quality from seasons 18 to 20 compared to say 13 to 15 (especially after having rewatched like half of 19 and being let down more often than not).

The worst thing about Seasons 14-Early 20 is the incredibly dated and primitive animation style of the seasons, it really takes you out of the show whenever you’re watching an episode from that era of the show.

The worst thing about Seasons 14-Early 20 is the incredibly dated and primitive animation style of the seasons, it really takes you out of the show whenever you’re watching an episode from that era of the show.
That's one of the good parts of those seasons. It still feels like you're watching the same show. Once it switched to hd, things felt different.

That's one of the good parts of those seasons. It still feels like you're watching the same show. Once it switched to hd, things felt different.
No, it doesn’t.

The animation is too modern and sterile looking and has nothing in common with the animation of the 90’s and very-early-2000’s Simpsons. It has much more in common the animation of Family Guy.

Back