Vidya Games Thread: Nintendo Edition

Oh that's raspberry!

Food-Crazed Maniac
So after an admittedly small amount of searching I can't help but notice that most of the video games threads are probably now at nerdgroupies, the only one I noticed here was the one about all the new games coming out in 2011. Anyway I happened to be extremely bored tonight and wouldn't have minded playing some Mario Kart Wii against ya'll, assuming anyone here had a copy and internet connection and whatnot else, but it is probably too late for any playing tonight. However this still got me to thinking that perhaps the time had come for nohomers to have some rather large threads again strictly for the discussion of video games. The only system I currently own is the Wii which is why I'm only gonna make the Nintendo thread, but feel free to make others exclusive to other companies. Anywho long story short this is trying to be a thread to discuss Nintendo video games and systems of old and new, but we'll see just how successful it turns out. I think nohomers used to have online Brawl matches in the past but it was before I joined so I can't remember for sure, but I'd personally like to try my hand against some of ya'll(though not in Brawl):)

Anywho, discuss away I guess unless this thread dies from lack of interest or something else which I can only hope won't happen!

Nintendo Network ID List
Amanda Hugandkiss - Barney92
Elliot74 - Elliot73
burnin' - OhioStateBuck
Matty - Animatty
D4C - BrainofJTD
Ryan - goldenstate8957
Jims - TheRealJims
Insomnia - InsomniaDealer
hamm - hammster
kupomog - Kudoshido
Xaiv - Xaivot
Steve - SteveSkinner

I refuse to support nintendo until they release/re-release the mother games in america :snooty:

I only played Earthbound, which I believe is the 2nd Mother game, once but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Wish it woulda got a Virtual Console release at least, but I guess Nintendo still doesn't have enough faith in it doing well over here.:(

I've never understood the hype around Earthbound. It's an alright title, and I honestly think if all the aura of it being so hard to find didn't exist it'd just be another SNES RPG(okay yeah, SNES RPG's are for the most part awesome as it is). Mother 3 is pretty great though.

I love Ninty, but I think aside from the 3DS I'm done with them. I'll continue to support the 3DS as long as it's alive, but it's the last straw, and I'm sorry but the Wii U looks laughable at best. I know there is supposed to be a re-reveal of it at this years E3 after the lukewarm reception of the console so far, but there's going to have to be some major changes in order for me to get interested in it.

I'm sorry but the Wii U looks laughable at best.

I have to slightly disagree. I mean sure, the concept of a touch screen controller is awkward at best (still don't know how it'll work in the real world) but it's a gamble Nintendo is willing to take. What I'm more interested in is the graphics that are being taken from ATI's Radeon HD 4000 series; I mean those graphics are more advanced then what the PS3 and Xbox 360 has to offer and it may be underpowered, it may not but the fact is is that Nintendo's sell will be the fact that the graphics are more modern, it can do more things and it's obviously more ahead of the curve then either Microsoft or Sony's consoles will hope to achieve. Hence why I'm rooting for the device to at least be noticed.

The controller idea I'm still not onboard on but the graphics look like a winner.

I've completely lost touch of the gaming industry in the past few months due to absolute dedication (read: addiction) to Skyrim.

I don't know much about technology, but as a huge fan of the current Wii i'm sad it's being replaced
You should be more sad at the way Nintendo is letting it die. They had the best generation since the SNES, and now they are just dropping it, just like the N64 and the GCN before it.

And the problem with the Wii U is so far it sounds more like it should be an upgrade than a whole new console. HD graphics, a bigger hard drive, better online support? These are things the Wii should've had already. And I'm not really big on the iPad-like controller, it's just another gimmick, and I wasn't too big of a fan of the Wii's motion control as it was. Add to the fact that GCN compatibility is being dropped, meaning I can't use a GCN controller, just makes it worse.

Never mind the fact that you only get one of those iPad-like controllers, and so far Nintendo has not announced that you can buy them separately; pretty much the one you get with the console is it, and if you want to co-op your buddy ain't going to be able to use one, unless he has his own or something.

The Wii U doesn't look very good at all. But of course, that's what they said about all other previous systems of Nintendo's recently, so I'll have to give it a chance. They'll probably find a way to make it work.

What Nintendo needs to fix is their online. It's garbage when it's supposed to be awesome.

I'm also disappointed that you couldn't play virtual console games online. What a missed opportunity!

I think nohomers used to have online Brawl matches in the past but it was before I joined so I can't remember for sure, but I'd personally like to try my hand against some of ya'll(though not in Brawl):)

Haha, we never ended up finishing that Brawl tournament. I ended up playing Channel Surfer and then TheForbiddenDonut (stu at B&R) in the tourney. It was a little embarrassing because Stu completely kicked my ass when I was using my mains (Yoshi and Diddy Kong), but I ended up winning because I spammed Wolf to a ridiculous degree the final 3 matches. Ugh, Wolf is such a cheap character.

I'll admit, I pretty much only stick to Nintendo consoles, mostly out of economy but partially out of lack of free time. When I was younger, my parents could only afford to get one console per cycle for Christmas, so I tended to "play it safe" and ask for what I knew. As I got older and started buying stuff myself, I did the same thing. As I've gotten older, my time gets pulled in different directions, so I don't know if I play enough to justify another console purchase. As lousy as the Wii's release schedule was, I almost never had a point where I had nothing to play. There was always some older game in the backlog... Still have barely even touched The Last Story since buying it.

I haven't even bought The Last Story yet even though I want to simply because I already have a huge backlog of RPGs at the moment. I bought Tales of Symphonia in April and am still on Disc 1. I barely remember where I am in Xenoblade its been so long since I touched it. I haven't started the Tales of Symphonia Wii sequel yet for obvious reasons, but own it. And don't get me started on my DS RPGs. I like these games just fine and have the time to play them, I'm just not for whatever reason. Not frequently at any rate. I'm beginning to think my passion for gaming has gone down almost entirely. I have no plan to buy Wii U in the next couple years but it isn't because I dislike the system or anything.

EDIT: Watching your match with Stu kinda makes me wanna play Brawl again though Jims.:D

Gaming is also dieing for me. Probably an age/maturity thing. Or maybe the games just don't interest you anymore (I can play through my old games 5 times without getting tired of them, but the new games I tend to complete the solo-player modes and never touch it again, unless it has a decent online community, which is never the case!)

Just downloaded the original Smash Bros. to my Wii for 200 Club Nintendo coins. Offer good another 5 days, my first time owning the N64 Smash Bros.

Well... This thread is officially resurrected so...

Wii U's coming out soon, let's hope it lives up to the hype of being Nintendo's big return to hardcore gaming.

My Wii is pretty much completely unused and when I do use it, it's for VC. 360, PS3, and old DS phat get used regularly (not as much as 5 years ago because of work etc) but mostly because of the online connectivity which I use more for connecting with friends than multiplayer.

But if Wii U fixes the online connectivity, which is part of the whole point, then cool. Not really wanting to drop money on release day like I did with the Wii tho :gatorshrug:

We're supposed to pick up The Last Story which we reserved but uh yeah...

Wii U is nearly as 'casual' in concept as Wii. Probably not quite to the same degree but it's still fundamentally not a console for the people who give a shit about specs. I don't really care about specs (I'll get a PC for that). I don't think Wii U will have quite the same issues with third parties as Wii did though. It won't be amazing but maybe more tolerable. For a start, more third parties should have backed Wii in the first place. The rising dev costs of PS360 killed loads of studios as it is. I don't think the industry as it is now is quite strong enough to sustain a similar rise. Also, the next gen engines are all being built with scalability in mind because of tablets etc. so I'd expect Wii U will run UE4 and the rest which Wii didn't (in fact it's apparently appearing on the supported platform lists on the dev site). Thirdly, Sony is fucked. It's sales figures are borderline disastrous right now (straight up disastrous for Vita). If they don't turn it around, Nintendo have the only competitive platforms in Japan (Microsoft is a non-entity in Japan realistically). I think Nintendo are in a semi-decent position third party wise (well, the Japanese ones at least).

I'm sorta sad at the death of the Wii. It never lived up to its potential but I have fond memories of Wii Sports Resort, Mario Galaxy games, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Xenoblade.

There's 3 Wii U conferences tomorrow if anyone is interested (sorry for leaving it in UK time but I'm lazy):
Japan - 8am UK Time
EU and NA - 3pm UK Time

I'm less excited for the Wii U than I have ever been for a Nintendo console. Maybe my mind will change once more games are announced for it, though.

Does it even need to though? I mean what do they even mean by hardcore anyway? First person shooters up the whazoo? I dunno...

Hardcore, in my view, means it's a game that will give the player an hard time. It doesn't have to be shooters! For example, Mario Galaxy is an hardcore game since it's aiming gamers that want to complete the game, while giving them diverse challenges throughout the game.

A casual game is like Wii Sports. It's aiming the inexperienced gamers and making them 'fun' party games that doesn't actually set a challenge or difficulty for them.

Wii Sports Resort was one of the best games of this generation. COME AT ME.

Also in 30 minutes there are 3 consecutive conferences (NA/EU/JAPAN). They split the Japanese announcement into a hardware section (the one earlier) and software section (the one coming up). Presumably (hopefully) because they wanted to unveil some big game at the same time in all regions. I think there is also one in Australia at the same time but it might be the EU one.

Surprised Mario Bros is a launch title. The system is around where I figured price wise. Mario and Pikmin and Rayman would be my only interests officially announced.....Maybe Dragon Quest X if that sees a US release and not a US release for the Wii version, which it probably won't. I'll give it a year or two to build a proper library and/or decrease in price. Maybe when Smash Bros. is released...

Well there's pretty much no point in us buying the Basic Wii U since the Deluxe version has 4x the amount of space. Plus a game so eh. Still not thinking of a release day purchase though because even though we can afford it...it's still $350.

Pricing is pretty much what I expected. $350 is reasonable seeing as the Nintendo Land game alone will be $50 probably. But considering that the only launch game I'm interested in is Scribblenauts Unlimited, I doubt I'll be getting this any time soon.

To think that 6 years ago at this time I was ecstatic over the Wii coming out in 2 months. To be fair though I'm not playing games nearly as much any more so it's hard for me to really get excited over new games any more.

If they announce a Metroid game not long after launch it'd probably be the thing that gets me to drop money on the system. Even though it wouldn't be economically wise but..

Anyone else kinda pissed that the Deluxe Wii U comes with Nintendo Land and not Super Mario Wii U?
So im not sure which one I'll get but I'll definetly be picking up Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Wii U and the Pro controller.
And theres a few games I may get later like Ninja Gaiden, Assasins creed 3 and Maybe black ops because I want at least one shooter

Back