Very unpopular opinions.

I kind of like Nedna.

I dislike Nedna. I feel like they spend/spent too much time shipping Ned and Edna with a bunch of people in town.

I not only dislike 'Holidays of Future Passed', but I think it's so depressing for almost every character aside from the Simpson family, that I don't want it to count as canon.

There does not need to be a happy ending. In fact, that is so cliche, in a show that likes pointing out cliches, that there really should not be many happy endings, if any at all.

Last edited:
Well even for half the family it's depressing.

Thing is, it doesn't need to be outright happy but that doesn't mean it has to be so bleak either. One of the things that made Futurama such a great world was that overall, it was pretty neutral, it didn't go into Jetsons style over-idealisation nor the opposite extreme because both would have made it hard to sit through. I wasn't as crazy about Lisa's Wedding as a lot of folks but that part was really well handled.

Besides, "Bart = unloved failure, Lisa = Success, Maggie = Older but still never talks" are cliches that it was happy to follow. If we had a flashforward where, say, Bart was, say, the creator of a highly successful animated show and with someone that actually loves him at all and Lisa was struggling to get by and crushed by student debts, that'd be a subversion. But they'd probably never do that.

Also F-P dropped the idea that it's not set in stone as a future which sucked. Up until Future-Passed, they all had an air of being probably inaccurate/just a projection turning more into little "what if" stories which was ideal for something like this. But now there's a loosly canon future that retroactively includes Future-Drama, the absolute dumbest one that could have been included, and also makes a lot of the otherwise passable things in Future-Passed incredibly stupid. I mean I don't think the episode is terrible but it's really not that great.

Even though Future Passed and the future episodes from there on having a lot of things in common and looking like they are indeed setting things in stone as a sure future of sorts I still see them as a vision of a possible future that isn't to be for sure. Besides, some episodes like 'Barthood' seem to disprove and/or contradict at least some of what happens in those which might just prove that there's a point in not taking them too seriously.

Here’s something that seems to be becoming a majority opinion: People want to retire the strangling scenes. I have no problem with the majority of them and don’t really understand why people want them retired now. There are a few that make me uncomfortable, mostly when it’s commented on, such as Bart saying “It hurts when I swallow.” It should be something that isn’t really commented on but is just done as a quick joke. That’s why Love is a Many-Strangled Thing was such a disaster. It’s kind of a balancing act, but it’s been done well many times. So I don’t have a problem with it.

Here’s something that seems to be becoming a majority opinion: People want to retire the strangling scenes. I have no problem with the majority of them and don’t really understand why people want them retired now.

Because people in the real world have went through child abuse, and the show treats it like a joke. Think about it for a second. Lisa's slightly sad? The whole family has to take notice and pay attention to her and it's heartwarming and "serious". Homer physically abuses a ten year old child? Oh, it's just a cartoon! It doesn't really matter!
Do you think it's a good message to send people? And don't you think it screws up the more serious moments of the show - like Homer's Mother showing up - when we're suddenly meant to feel sorry for this abusive piece of crap whose sole emotions seem to be anger or self-pity?

I don’t think people should be trying to glean messages out of the show. It’s not meant to be a moral show, and I think its ability to balance emotions with quick jokes like the strangling gags is a hallmark of what made classic Simpsons so good. I don’t think it ruins the more serious moments when the strangling jokes are done correctly, i.e., not having attention called to them and just having them as quick gags. I can understand people’s issues with it, but I’m just not sure why people have only started to call for its retirement now.

I don’t think people should be trying to glean messages out of the show. It’s not meant to be a moral show, and I think its ability to balance emotions with quick jokes like the strangling gags is a hallmark of what made classic Simpsons so good. I don’t think it ruins the more serious moments when the strangling jokes are done correctly, i.e., not having attention called to them and just having them as quick gags. I can understand people’s issues with it, but I’m just not sure why people have only started to call for its retirement now.

That's a fair point. And I do think a LOT of the outrage about shows these days is really just a transient movement, which will inevitably give way to greater liberalism. Like the Apu stuff. I mean, what do you want to bet that in five or ten years, there's no controversy about him whatsoever?

Well it probably is part of changing standards ("That was before throwing your baby into the sun was considered child abuse") but I think the calling attention to it does make it worse. A lot of slaptick shows work (when done well) because despite the horrific injuries characters would get, it wouldn't affect them even slightly. Chopped to ribbons, fell 100ft or got caught in gears? They'd be fine next shot, maybe they'd be an accordion for a few seconds but nothing serious.

Early on, the stranglings were quickly forgotten and had no effect on anything. But it's a lot less funny when it does have consequences like the above comment or, I can't remember the episode but I think there was a moment where Bart knocked something over at the table and was afraid of being strangled again. And I think those kinds of moments are burned into people's minds and it's probably too late to recify that now.

When it comes to the strangling gag, I don't think anyone really thought that much of it initially for a couple of reasons; which include the fact that the show's a cartoon, it was never really dwelled upon when it happened, and that the punishment was nearly always for fairly ridiculous reasons (at which we would also be laughing).

sAnxk4t.jpg

They only really started to go wrong with it when they aired Love is a Many Strangled Thing, where they decided to make strangling thing the entire focus of what was going on. Unsurprisingly, the episode was almost universally disliked, and in my experience: Really uncomfortable to watch.

The problem with that episode is that it's then had a knock-on effect when you watch other episodes afterwards: It makes the strangling scenes in them pretty uncomfortable now too, because you now know that (on some level) the characters are aware that its a bit messed up - something that most of us wouldn't have even given much thought too, had they not brought attention to it themselves with Love is a Many Strangled Thing .

Although saying that, I don't think they should retire it from the show, its one of the most famous and iconic running jokes in the show, and getting rid of it will do more harm to the show than good. But the strangling gag only works as a joke so long as it stays as a joke, and don't ever give it the serious/sadistic tone they gave it in Love is a Many Strangled Thing again.

Why would they be? They are both good episodes.
Or is it the degree that they said?
"Way better" might be an exaggeration.

Well Bart to the Future is considered by many to be bad, Entertainment Weekley named it the worst episode ever a few years back. I assumed they were kidding when they said it was way better than a classic.

I am a fan of the future-themed episodes, and I definitely believe that Bart to the Future is the worst of that particular bunch.

It pretty much relies on novelty-like quirks and jokey technologies of the future - which weren't as great as different ones they've come up with for other future episode, plus aren't good enough on their own to make the episode.

There wasn't much to the story at all, which is a shame because I liked the setup of it (i.e: Lisa is president, so the rest of the family try to take advantage of her position). Aside from that, there were only a few other things I thought were good about this: The scene where Lisa, Milhouse and others discuss the economic crisis (one of the only scenes I thought was genuinely quite inventive and funny); and also the subplot with Homer - but Homer and Marge barely get over a minute of screen time, so it's underused.

The beginning 9f this thread:

User #1: I think KTAAR is a good episode.
User #2: I respect your opinion

Later in the thread:

User #1: Lisa the Vegetarian is a bad episode (insert dumb preaching here)
User #2: No it's a great episode! (Insert another kind of dumb preaching here)

I never had a problem with the strangling gag either until the show called attention to the dark side of this running gag. Like you guys said, when it's just a quick, cartoon gag that has no effect afterwards (or when the effect isn't unsettling, like in The Wettest Stories Ever Told, when the character played by Marge falls in love with the one played by Homer because he strangles Bart just like her death husband used to do), only played for laughs because of its using over something minuscule yet funny, it works for me. But it became more disturbing when they showed they're perfectly aware of the consequences of this running gag on Bart, but they don't really care and just go with it because dark humor; the "it hurts when I swallow" line followed right after by another strangling is one of the most uncomfortable moments of the whole show in my opinion, because of that.

Well Bart to the Future is considered by many to be bad, Entertainment Weekley named it the worst episode ever a few years back. I assumed they were kidding when they said it was way better than a classic.

Very well put. However, there was bound to be somebody who did not agree, and this is an unpopular opinion thread.

I never had a problem with the strangling gag either until the show called attention to the dark side of this running gag. Like you guys said, when it's just a quick, cartoon gag that has no effect afterwards (or when the effect isn't unsettling, like in The Wettest Stories Ever Told, when the character played by Marge falls in love with the one played by Homer because he strangles Bart just like her death husband used to do), only played for laughs because of its using over something minuscule yet funny, it works for me. But it became more disturbing when they showed they're perfectly aware of the consequences of this running gag on Bart, but they don't really care and just go with it because dark humor; the "it hurts when I swallow" line followed right after by another strangling is one of the most uncomfortable moments of the whole show in my opinion, because of that.

I usually don't watch Famiy Guy, but I was thinking that the strangling reminds me of how they treat Meg. Like strangling, it started from the beginning where they constantly treat her like shit. You're right in the idea that since they have brought up the issue of strangling the gag has lost appeal. The Family Guy episode Seahorse, Seashells and Party was one of the first times Meg actually told her family off and then at the end she backs off. The jokes still continue of the family treating her bad. Other than the insufferable Brian, this has always bothered me along with the occasional suicide joke.

That's a fair point. And I do think a LOT of the outrage about shows these days is really just a transient movement, which will inevitably give way to greater liberalism. Like the Apu stuff. I mean, what do you want to bet that in five or ten years, there's no controversy about him whatsoever?

Wouldn't it be nice to go back to a time where people used logic instead of overly emotions? Where people look at something and think why is this a problem here where in other countries, such as India, don't give a fuck about mundane things? SJW on both sides need to come to the reality that world doesn't revolve around them and they don't speak for everyone. Apu has been part of the show from the beginning and 29-30 years later they have a problem, don't have a cow and get over yourself.

From what I've read from Simpsons Comics, I like it. Certainly more than what most of S11-13 had to offer, and somewhat more than what S14-now have to offer.

While I don't really have an opinion one way or the other as to which is better the comics or the later seasons of the show, it is true that comics are criminally underrated.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back to a time where people used logic instead of overly emotions? Where people look at something and think why is this a problem here where in other countries, such as India, don't give a fuck about mundane things? SJW on both sides need to come to the reality that world doesn't revolve around them and they don't speak for everyone. Apu has been part of the show from the beginning and 29-30 years later they have a problem, don't have a cow and get over yourself.

People are going to be emotional over what they see as racism because that is the most natural reaction. Why does that mean they forfeit the argument?

people have been shouting "muh logic" at leftists (and worthless dems who havent earned an iota of the right to be called SJWs!) since gamergate erupted like six years ago give it up loser we aint goin anywhere and we're gonna ruin all your favorite things

oh unpopular opinion uh kill the alligator and run is great

i did i shut shoskin up wheres my medal

No you didn't. I was just not going to respond since maybe, just maybe your comment was directed at me. Since you now did, I'll answer you. First of all I was actually trying to figure out what the fuck you were try to say. The only thing I understood from your childish ranting is someone is coming to take our stuff. What stuff? Whose stuff? Second, Gamergate? What the hell does that have to do with anything? I'm sure you can tell me but honestly could care less. I'll wait for your response or not. If you do, please make it where you don't assume you know anything about me.

foose everytime i look at ur av from tje wall i think it's the golden one from that hbomb video

Wouldn't it be nice to go back to a time where people used logic instead of overly emotions?

People are going to be emotional over what they see as racism because that is the most natural reaction. Why does that mean they forfeit the argument?

I never said that it did.

If you are going to quote me, at least put the conversation in order. If there is racism call it out. Racism should be called out for all that it is. I'm talking about the Simpsons, a satire that makes fun of everyone for 30 years.
My main point is we are being offended by stereotypes and jokes that were said two to three decades ago. Should we get rid of Fat Tony and Luigi since they are stereotypes of Italians, which I happen to be? No. It's a satire and it doesn't offend me. If Apu offends you, ok. If Mother Shabubu offends you, fine. Julio, for being overly gay? If something triggers you, fine, just don't think you talk for everyone else.

Bruh

u sound triggered bro lmao do u need a safe space

Safe space? I live in the liberal capital of the world, the whole area is a safe space. I'm doing fine though since I don't react to everything someone says or types that could be offending. Except Trump, he's a cocksucker.

Last edited:
Back