Too Hot or Too Cold?

Would you rather be...

• Total voters

LukeMM95

Edgy McEdgeEdge
Which would you rather be?

Me, I'd rather be too cold. Being too cold is an ordeal but I can manage it. Being too hot on the other hand, can feel like torture.

conceptually a more interesting question that it seems on first glance.

I get cold in the winter much more readily than hot in the summer

Level 0 thinkers will then say that they would prefer to be too hot since they prefer the heat

But Level 1 thinkers would then realise that too hot means hot enough so that you're uncomfortable and therefore much more dangerous for your health since you can naturally take the heat. So I'll pick being too cold since it's going to happen at a much safer temperature for my body and I'll put some thermals on.

But then Level 2 thinkers will realise that thermals will do nothing. You're too cold. It's a permanent state that nothing will resolve. So if that's the case you're going to eventually die from this then you may as well pick hot since it will be less miserable and shorter.

If there's a Level 3 thinker in the thread could you please enlighten me because I'm only as far as level 2

I overheat very easily and it tends to make me feel really sick and gross and I can't function very well. And this is as simple as "I walked into a heated house from the cold and now feel sick". I would rather be cold, since even though my limbs tend to get cold easily and shivering hurts my muscles and joints.... I don't know. I guess I just don't feel sick, and also kind of got used to cold growing up in Canada in a house with bad insulation and a furnace that broke at the drop of a hat.

Also, been singing the Alanis Morissette track since entering the thread, so that's nice.

Over here, it's easier to stay warm than it is to stay cool. I doubt this would change even if I had to deal with real winter.

I feel being cold is a mental challenge whilst being hot is more of a physical challenge.

If you're cold you can just kind of pull it together and get through whatever you're doing.
When you're hot though, oh man... you just feel faint and horrible which means you can barely even concentrate.
Plus, when you're cold you can just add more layers but when you're hot, the overall temperature of whatever space you're in needs changing which is a lot more difficult.

In LA, I've only ever had to deal with being too hot, as it rarely drops below 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit). I guess that makes my vote a little bit biased, but I prefer being too cold because it's easier to warm up (even the simplest things like rubbing your hands together works). I have gotten frostbite before, though, and that's not very fun. (Then again, I've had a heat stroke too.)

Too Cold, because you basically can't do anything when it's too hot.
If it's too cold, you can always warm yourself up with different ways.

I'm going to be the odd man out and be the only one to vote "too hot". Here's why:

I've been both, but I seem to cool down from being too hot more easily than I warm up from being too cold. People here speak of warming up easily; I don't warm up easily. Even when confronted with warmth after being too cold, I tend to still feel chilled and my nose, toes, and other extremities still feel cold to the touch and it's unpleasant.

With warmth, however, one step into an air-conditioned room and chances are I'll be too cold within several minutes. I seem to cool down fairly quickly and easily.

This summer I went to Denver and at one point, I had to walk 2 miles in 100-degree weather, no shade, I had had no sleep the night before, my whole back was sweaty, and I had had no water. I remember thinking "this is crazy; this is the worst thing I've ever done." And yeah, it was unpleasant. But at the end, when I got into the air-conditioned store and had some ice water, I instantly felt rejuvenated and cooled down. It was one of the greatest reliefs I had ever felt. It would've taken a while of shivering and trying pointlessly to warm my nose or my hands or something if it had been cold I was feeling and not heat. When I remember having P.E. early in the morning when it was 30 degrees, in shorts and a T-shirt, all that harsh cold air going in my lungs and the incessant shivering, the Denver experience seems nice by comparison.

Would rather be cold and just bundle up. I find it harder to cool down than to warm up.

too hot
hate hate hate being cold

when I'm hot I can have cold water to cool me off or hop in a pool. also heat means summertime which is the greatest time of the year

if I'm cold, then its probably winter and I hate winter

fuck being cold and you weirdos who like being cold

I would much rather be too cold. Although, where I live, "too cold" is essentially a synonym for "dead," so I'd rather be too hot than dead. But if it is just -20°C or something, I can easily handle that (not that I would spend very much time outside if it were that cold, but I have to go outside, it's not a big deal). As others have said, you can just put more clothes on or lay under a blanket or something. Being really hot is much more uncomfortable and more difficult to fix.

In LA, I've only ever had to deal with being too hot, as it rarely drops below 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit). I guess that makes my vote a little bit biased, but I prefer being too cold because it's easier to warm up (even the simplest things like rubbing your hands together works). I have gotten frostbite before, though, and that's not very fun. (Then again, I've had a heat stroke too.)
How often do you go to a place that gets cold enough for frostbite? I've never gotten it and I've never heard of anyone I know getting it, despite living in a far colder climate (but it's not like I know very many people or that they would necessarily mention getting frostbite, I guess).

I've only gotten frostbite once and seen snow two or three times. I got mild first-degree frostbite in the high Nevada desert, where I fell and buried a partially exposed foot in the snow. My foot was obviously in pain from basically being frozen, so I took a nap and it thawed out (it took a day or two to heal completely). As for heat stroke, it happened when I went hiking in the incredibly humid/hot summer weather in Taiwan. Again, I passed out for a while and it got better after a day or two.

too hot
hate hate hate being cold

when I'm hot I can have cold water to cool me off or hop in a pool. also heat means summertime which is the greatest time of the year

if I'm cold, then its probably winter and I hate winter

fuck being cold and you weirdos who like being cold

This.

I've grown a great hatred of the cold and winter over the years that I can't stand being cold. Bone chilling coldness is one of worst feelings in the world. Summer is fun. Always great regardless of how heated it gets. There's always pools and refreshing drinks. It always tends to rain between the heat to break it and that's great too. I can't think of any upsides to the bone chilling winters here (besides maybe christmas). And there's no break either. I actually feel like hibernating all winter because it's the worst.

Too cold.

While I can't stand the cold and can tolerate the heat, I would still choose the cold because I can just bundle up. With being too hot, there's only so much stripping you can do.

it depends. if i'm inside and i'm really cold then i can just throw on a blanket or something and get nice and cozy, but if i'm really hot inside then i start to get sweaty and sticky and just all around miserable. this is of course assuming that air conditioning isn't an option.

however if i'm outside and i don't have any extra layers to add then i would much rather be too hot, because it just feels more natural to be hot outside and i can at least work on my tan. being cold outdoors sucks because all i can think about is going inside and i can't do anything about it.

i love the "there's always pools" logic coming from the heat crowd. like a person can just drop anything they're doing at any time when they are overheating and just jump into a magical pool that appears beside them

fuck the heat. if you're cold you can put a sweater on. if you're hot (and sweaty and disgusting) there's fuck-all you can do about it. plus when it's incredibly hot outside you can like smell trash from two miles away and it's just gross. i can't see how anyone (who isn't a kid that gets summers off) could possibly prefer the summer*

*obviously this doesn't apply to people who have mild summers and brutal winters. because fuck snow too. i just like cold temperatures

I don't know why people would prefer being too cold. I hate winter with a burning passion because I hate being cold and because the weather screws up traffic. I live in Canada, so I rarely have to deal with being too hot. Whenever I'm really cold, I look forward to warming up inside because I'm very sensitive when it comes to cold weather.

i love the "there's always pools" logic coming from the heat crowd. like a person can just drop anything they're doing at any time when they are overheating and just jump into a magical pool that appears beside them

fuck the heat. if you're cold you can put a sweater on. if you're hot (and sweaty and disgusting) there's fuck-all you can do about it. plus when it's incredibly hot outside you can like smell trash from two miles away and it's just gross. i can't see how anyone (who isn't a kid that gets summers off) could possibly prefer the summer*

*obviously this doesn't apply to people who have mild summers and brutal winters. because fuck snow too. i just like cold temperatures

I just like the heat more. sitting in the sun with a bottle of water is so sweet to me. the smell and sweat isn't a big factor if you got deodorant on anyway
I really just find it more gratifying to be really hot and maybe quench the heat with some coolness, but still have the wonderful weather around me
Canadian summers aren't generally too brutal. they can be, but I find it survivable

I don't get the same fuzzy feeling from being cold and covering myself up with a blanket or coat, cuz I still have to deal with the shitty and honestly depressing weather around me. maybe that's just because winter can seem endless some years where I am ( 4-5 months with snow on the ground is a serious bummer). it's just not as gratifying

even without a sunny day and a bottle of water, I would prefer to be in a humid 40 degrees celsius day walking down the street smelling like ass than walking around in -40 degrees celsius (with windchill) and almost freezing my ass off just getting to work in the morning

well, if you're canadian obviously you're going to hate the winters. i mean, this question really boils down to where a person lives for the most part, because where i live the summer essentially lasts from april to september and can be 90+ on any given day in that span (it's supposed to be 86 tomorrow, for instance -- in late september). whereas it's only really cold between late december and early march, usually. and even then, "really cold" generally means low 30s

converted to canadian:
well, if you're canadian obviously you're going to hate the winters, eh? i mean, this question really boils down to where a person lives for the most part, because where i live the summer essentially lasts from april to september and can be 32+ on any given day in that span (it's supposed to be 30 tomorrow, for instance -- in late september). whereas it's only really cold between late december and early march, usually. and even then, "really cold" generally means around 0

Last edited:
strangely, many Canadians here anyway seem to love the cold or at least cooler temps.
maybe I'm just a lousy Canadian :gatorshrug:

I can take temperatures around freezing, and I don't have much of a problem with it. But I get too hot if the temperature hits about 80 or higher. So I can easily take the cold more readily than I can the heat. And I live smack in the middle of the US, so I experience a good balance of extreme temperatures.

I can't even stand Canada's relatively mild summers, so I'm sure I would want to kill myself if I lived in Louisiana or something (or even Ontario, with its humidity). I often think about moving to Yellowknife, or maybe Antarctica. I'm really excited that summer is over and Calgary's brutally cold winter (interspersed with periods of mild weather) that lasts for 6 months is about to begin (well, we actually got a bunch of snow here last week, but it's gone now). I know, I'm a freak.

There are many reasons why I hate the summer. It's too hot, people are always wanting to go to the beach (god, I hate the beach), and worst of all, there are bugs all over the place.

I for one have had the cold for over a week now. Maybe longer, I am sick, and these past 5 days have been the worst, I am only functioning now on 1000mg (2 x 500mg capsules of paracetamol), I should be getting more rest and being more careful, but I'm not.
I was so hot today, that I txt that my cold dead body would be a welcome relief, but being cold sucks too, I hated going out today, I was cold, should have wrapped up warmer, could have too, but I didn't (dumbass <-)! and I can tell you, when you feel the cold, it's not fun.

If I am not allowed to put on sweaters and blankets for warmth, I either have to be in a constant state of too hot or too cold, then I will pick too hot because cold is extremely painful to me. My skin and joints hurt just reaching into the fridge, and even though the heat makes me feel weak and makes my muscles go limp, at least it isn't as painful.

I haven't had any moments in my life when it's too hot or cold. To give an opinion I would have to spend some time in Siberia and Sahara and then decide which of them was less agonizing, but because I hate the winter I'm just going to say that too hot is better.

Back