Things that get repeated on the DVD commentary tracks

Over the course of the series of The Simpsons DVD boxsets so far, quite a few tales and anecdotes have been repeated by the commentators.

A few examples:

David Mirkin saying what a great movie The Graduate is.

Matt Groening explaining that Krusty was originally supposed to be Homer in clown make-up.

Al Jean pointing out how it's almost impossible to sit up in bed from a lying down position.

Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein talking about their love of old-timey stuff.

Jon Lovitz's "Al Jean and Mike Reiss are gay".

The story about the caramel on the ceiling of the writing room has been mentioned at least a couple of times IIRC.

David Mirkin's anti-censorship rants.

Any other examples?

My favorite is always when Julie Kavner is on and she talks about the beautiful camera angles. It's easy to pick on her commentaries, but she really is a lot of fun to listen to.

Al Jean pointing out how it's almost impossible to sit up in bed from a lying down position.

Doggonit, you took this one already. I don't know why Al Jean is so fascinated by this fact. I swear, every time he sees that happen on TV, he leans over to the person next to him and says, "Have you ever tried doing that? It's completely impossible!!!" I just want to be that guy sitting next to him so I can turn and say "STOP SAYING THAT!"

Matt explaining how originally Homer was only supposed to strangle Bart in anger and get his comeuppance.

Mark Kirkland saying Moe is so ugly he would often let off model drawings of him go through on purpose.

David Mirkin 's everlasting fountains of praise. He's actually a really encouraging, positive guy haha.

Also, "whatever happened to Brad Bird" appears to be a running thing.

mike scully got sent a case of breath-a-sure in advance wanting and plug and his idea was "Hey marge, did you hear that breath-a-sure gives you cancer?"

there's no point in writing a script for al brooks because he improvises so much

JS always puts "for some reason" in the stage directions and it's really funny

matt groening talking about how the simpsons are identifiable in silhouette

matt groening talking about how the simpsons are identifiable in silhouette

I remember as a kid watching I used to think I was so smart for guessing who the characters were.

I also thought "The Simpsons 138th episode Spectacular" was a legitimate show. As in they were actual letters being sent in, and they were actual questions being asked in the act breaks. /facepalm

In my defense I was like 5!

Among the most infamous (in my opinion, anyway):

Mike Scully bringing out his "fun facts" sheet and reading straight off of it.

Mike Scully asking on nearly all of his commentaries, "so, [writer's name], how did the idea for this come about?", and how if the writer isn't present he will ask anybody if they remember anyway.

...he is an annoying, annoying man...

I just watched several Scully commentaries and the damn fun facts sheet was really annoying.

Listen to all the commentaries on Season 9 disc 1 for example: Jean, Reiss, Oakley and Weinstein put him to shame.

Jean mentions Citizen Kane is the most parodied film multiple times. Also, Reiss plugs Queer Duck a hundred thousand times in his two Season 9 commentaries.

Matt Groening's Simpstasia idea is brought up more than once.

Jean mentions Citizen Kane is the most parodied film multiple times.

I've lost count of how many times they've claimed that you could re-create Citizen Kane by just editing all the Simpsons parodies together. (And I really don't think it would work, either.)

Mike Scully seems to have virtually nothing important to say about the four years' worth of episodes he executive produced. In addition to riffing his fun facts and making the fans sound like idiots for wanting a quality show on just about every commentary he does, he tells the same sherpa story on both "King of the Hill" and "Lost Our Lisa" (episodes that appear back-to-back on the DVD, which is especially jarring if you listen to them in order), and he makes that stupid "And the Emmy goes to..." joke about five times.

I've lost count of how many times they've claimed that you could re-create Citizen Kane by just editing all the Simpsons parodies together. (And I really don't think it would work, either.)

Mike Scully seems to have virtually nothing important to say about the four years' worth of episodes he executive produced. In addition to riffing his fun facts and making the fans sound like idiots for wanting a quality show on just about every commentary he does, he tells the same sherpa story on both "King of the Hill" and "Lost Our Lisa" (episodes that appear back-to-back on the DVD, which is especially jarring if you listen to them in order), and he makes that stupid "And the Emmy goes to..." joke about five times.

None of the commentaries are recorded in order so more than likely he didn't keep track of what he said on either of them and just repeated the same story...

I also notice that every time there's a post-production video effect in an episode and Al Jean is present on the commentary, he'll say something like "That text there is actually a video effect that we added in post, where we super-impose the effect over the existing animation". Every single time, without fail.

Any Conan O'Brien episode commentary where Conan wasn't present seemed to end up being 20 minutes of "Conan is Great." That got old pretty quick for me.

And the same things regarding Conan were kinda retold on every commentary he was a part of.

Yeah, those too, cinco.

Be that as it may joe, there were times I wanted to, you know, hear any thoughts or stories anyone might have had about the episode being "commented" on. :D

Matt Groening talking about he always had a rule about Homer strangling with Bart. That it always had to be in a implusive manner. I think he mentions this four or five times are seperate commentaries.

The most obvious thing that hasn't been mentioned in this topic that gets brought up millions of times on the commentaries is the animation process. :P

The whole commentary to Another Simpsons Clip Show is about the process, which had been on the commentaries many, many times before...

Back