The Official Season 19 DVD Thread (December 3, 2019)

The Futurama set was sexy. That Simpsons set looks like a bootleg set you'd find on some obscure DVD site...

I'm still holding out hope a Blu-ray set with legit remasters of the classic seasons eventually materializes. Actual remasters not that upscaled, cropped, and sharpened crap playing on FXX

Yes, don't get me wrong, I pre ordered Season 19 but I'm hoping for a Blu-ray set that will contain the first 19 seasons in their original aspect ratio and remastered. I have season 13-17 on Blu-ray and boy, they look great! Would love to have that for the rest of the series.

I totally forgot this comes out so soon! Just got notified that it arrives Wednesday. I'm especially curious to hear if they make any mention of this being the last home video release, or if there are more. Usually Matt does an introduction.

I'm also interested to see what the 1-20 box looks like, and if it has a new pressing of season 3 removing the MJ episode.

Unboxing vid from the UK:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QkrPTwKnS7I

Beginning letter from Matt Groening Hints at possible future dvd releases.

That is certainly some bizarre artwork!

That's Bill Plympton I believe. Cartoonist, animator and longtime friend of Groening. Interesting that they commissioned him to do all the artwork. Honestly, I like the idea of having commissioned artists for each season, for the inner box art, menus and disc art. Reminds me of the old Bongo THOH comics that had outside artists and writers doing stories.

Bad news: no sign of deleted scenes.

Very unexpected that they utilized a guest cartoonist for the art aside from the front but the result looks very good and neat. Kinda sucks that they went with Homer again on the front (could have easily went with Santa's Little Helper instead if they really wanted to focus on the family but with this being the first set released under the Disney ownership I can understand their choice).

Interesting that they changed the way the box is opened again, this time being from the top instead of the side. The book-like opening front with the note from Matt on the inside seems a little odd but that would explain the odd cardboard slipcover, which I believe the S18 set also has (did that season also have opening front? I still don't have that one so I don't know).

Last edited:
Yeah I'm kinda torn on the box too. The guest artist thing is a cute idea... yet half the fun in a lot of the box art in a lot of these was seeing so many characters being a part of it, especially the season-specific ones coming together (I think S14's might be my favourite for that). I remember being similarly disappointed with how the S16 menus only involved Frink and a few assorted props, took a lot of fun out compared to the ones before it.

I always liked how in the pre-S16 sets had each episode represented by a specific character so I'm a little disappointed they dropped that. It's also a shame that the floating heads on the sides were dropped this time around (and I guess this will carry over to future season releases).

[MENTION=17229]CousinMerl[/MENTION], Season 18's slipcase (at least in the US) opens on the side like all the previous sets. It also was the first one to lack the floating heads on the spines.

My biggest disappointment with the cover art is that it's Homer who was already on Season 6's cover instead of a different character like all the previous releases beginning with the 6th.

If some sort of market research told them Homer sells more than a secondary character, then I am fine with Homer or Bart on every cover moving forward. I just want sales to be good and for FOX/Disney to rerelease season 20 with commentary tracks and release seasons 21+ on home video. I no longer care about heads on the spine or Flanders on the cover.

I wonder if anybody actually bought that 1-20 box. I checked YouTube, Twitter and Instagram and not a single post. I'm just curious what the outer box is like and if the season 3 DVD is complete or revised.

With the plea from Matt Groening and the commentaries the only extras we got, I was somewhat disappointed.

I am beginning to feel that all future season sets will not even have the commentaries.

With the plea from Matt Groening and the commentaries the only extras we got, I was somewhat disappointed.

I am beginning to feel that all future season sets will not even have the commentaries.

I wouldn’t worry about that. According to Al Jean on Twitter, they have commentaries recorded through season 24 already for Disney Plus. The season 18 and 19 commentaries were originally recorded for Simpsons World, at a time when the DVDs themselves were in limbo, and those tracks made it onto the DVDs. Since the work of recording commentaries is already done, including them on the DVDs would be too trivially easy to not do.

I'm starting to believe that Bill Plympton really is a part of the Simpsons staff from now on, considering how many times he went back on the show to make some couch gags or, in this case, a complete artwork for a DVD box.

I suppose Plympton's distinguished artwork for the inside now explains why the cover has Homer's pink sedan as a convertible. Just a matter of remaining consistent with his artistic liberties. Perhaps this could be the new tradition for boxsets? Starting over with a new character based on what theme the guest artist goes for? I kind of don't blame Homer getting the spotlight again after so many moving parts occurring between 2014 and now.

Managed to find the 1-20 box set on ebay and the seller opened it for photos (weird that they bought it to sell it opened, which means it isn't "new" anymore)

InQPEvL.jpg

Q5H21hw.jpg

Maybe it's to make sure people know it's actually complete?

I still want to see what's on those other sides though.

Like I previously thought I like the outer art and that of the inside looks neat as well, but man is it really big and really clunky. Also lazy to see it's just them having stuffed the regular DVD sets with their own outer boxes and all in there (instead of using those multi-disc snap cases or something). And Season 20 looks like it's the old barebones version from ten years back.

Managed to find the 1-20 box set on ebay and the seller opened it for photos (weird that they bought it to sell it opened, which means it isn't "new" anymore)

InQPEvL.jpg

Q5H21hw.jpg

Season 18 & 19 are the same size as the rest?

Nice, thanks for grabbing those photos. Good to confirm those details.

My copy of season 19 came in today and I dig Plymton's guest designs. I hope they let the guest artists do up the outside cover if they continue with future sets. I also immediately removed the discs and placed them in the giant CD spindle I bought when I got tired of scraping discs in and out of those cases.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the menus of the Season 19 set look like? I've only seen "appreciation" of the booklet, but that's not my interest...

Does anyone know what the menus of the Season 19 set look like? I've only seen "appreciation" of the booklet, but that's not my interest...

Bill Plympton animation that's found inside the packaging.

I'm on disc 1 and I'm really digging this menu. I also love the airy choir of The Simpsons theme, especially that note that's hit when the family's car goes soaring through the air. Really dreamy animation.

Can't believe there are no deleted scenes on this. All I care about for extras are those and commentaries. I wonder if they'll re-release season 20.

Another thing, with the appreciation for Bill Plympton's art I think the actual box art was made to tease us. The front cover of the booklet is the real cover

Finally got around to getting a copy off of eBay and it showed up on Friday. Gotta say it's pretty weird to own a DVD set released in late 2019 where everything about it is strictly 4:3 from the menus to the actual content of the discs themselves.

So wikipedia shows a release date for a re-release of season 20 and a season 21 release. There's no source cited and I can't find anything anywhere about it. Assuming this is a troll?

I finally picked this up yesterday. It really is disappointing how barebones it is with extras, but I guess I should be thankful it has the commentaries and booklet, or at the very least that the set exists. Seeing it in person, the design of the set and the menus is actually very charming.

Speaking of the commentaries, does anyone know which season they got through to recording them for on Simpsons World?

So wikipedia shows a release date for a re-release of season 20 and a season 21 release. There's no source cited and I can't find anything anywhere about it. Assuming this is a troll?

Anything legitimate, you can guarantee Al Jean will be going crazy announcing it on Twitter.

Back