The Official Season 18 DVD Thread (December 5, 2017)

Well they're going to put commentaries on Simpsons World, so there wouldn't be much point to them on DVDs anymore. I doubt they're going to come out with any more of them, but I don't feel as sad as I thought I might. Probably because the only special features I use are commentaries and deleted scenes, and at least one of those will be provided.

if they were going to, we would have info of it by now. if it does ever come out it won't be in the usual december slot

It probably hits the people the hardest that love having an actual physical copy in their hands. I'm like that in a sense although i'm happy we have gotten all the seasons on dvd that we have to date.

My beef with Simpsons World is that it requires internet and a stable connection, it has ads, it has a watermark, and 4:3 is not on all devices (namely Xbox 360). MOD DVDs would be great, and I wonder if we might see countries outside the US attempting some sort of release? Simpsons World isn't global (despite the name) and you'd think FOX Home Entertainment are missing out on international sales.

my beef is that it only works on my xbox. my smartphone and laptop don't work at all for it. and surprise surprise the only place i can watch it doesn't let me watch it in 4:3

it's a relevant enough topic to be bumped i feel

is 9 days even a bump? especially for a thread that's pretty much one of the most relevant in this section. and even if it was a thread from 2012, this is the android's dungeon. I wouldn't be surprised if there were threads from 2001 or so on the next page.

AVC: How many hours of commentary do you think you’ve recorded at this point?

AJ: We’re up to episode 350, and I wasn’t on maybe 80 of those, so 270 times 20 minutes would be like 90 hours?

AVC: So when the DVDs discontinue, will that free up a lot of time?

AJ: No, we’re still doing them.

AVC: That’s right: The commentaries will be hosted online?

AJ: Yeah. I was very sorry; it wasn’t my decision that the DVDs were discontinued. So what we’re doing is we’re recording commentaries for every episode—every one we produce. And initially the outlet is FX Now. But my hope, since these will exist, is that someday you could download these anywhere in the world.

The key word there is "hope". Al Jean (or any of the writers, for that matter) clearly have no influence over how the show is marketed and sold.

Simpsons World is nowhere as convenient as FOX makes it out to be, especially for guys like me who don't have cable. VOD releases through Amazon and iTunes, with commentaries and everything, would be great, but I know FOX won't do it as long as they can exploit the show as a tactic to strong-arm cable customers into subscribing to FXX.

I was opening one of my old Simpsons DVDs and they had a leaflet inside proclaiming The Simpsons to be the most successful DVD release of a TV series. Wonder how much they slipped since then? Also, wonder why they don't just go DVD only again, static menus, and use standard plastic cases? I feel like they were spending too much to produce them and the return wasn't enough. Episodes, a few extras (commercials from the era), and continue or drop the commentaries. That's all they need for seasons 18+.

I still find the decision to drop the DVDs at all, never mind in favour of a way of watching the episodes that isn't even available in the rest of world, completely and totally baffling. How popular even is Simpsons World?

well almost every season on simpsons world has something like [1.1 MILLION WATCHING], which is quite impressive, especially considering how you need a cable provider. it's gotta be pretty big

Well, I only had 1-10, 14-16 and 20 plus the movie, the Maggie head s8, and the Halloween DVD. I never got 11-13 or 17, so maybe I should get them, just to complete my collection. But I think they should have at least made 18/19 as a final dual release so at least the first 20 seasons are on DVD.

Fox will will have to make seasons 18-26, cause there are millions of fans who never those episodes uncut when they first aired, plus they can't just stop in the middle of the series, that would be something nickelodeon would do. Plus what if the internet for fans goes out or their computers have to go to the shop, they wouldn't be able to watch the episodes from seasons 18-26.

Fox will will have to make seasons 18-26, cause there are millions of fans who never those episodes uncut when they first aired, plus they can't just stop in the middle of the series, that would be something nickelodeon would do. Plus what if the internet for fans goes out or their computers have to go to the shop, they wouldn't be able to watch the episodes from seasons 18-26.

You think FOX gives a shit? The Simpsons is a tool for them to make money with. If a few thousand fans aren't happy but 1.1 million people are paying to use Simpsons World, obviously they're not going to bend over backwards to satisfy the handful of people they fucked over.

If it wasn't for The Simpsons in the first place FOX would be dead by 1991. I hope things change for the DVDs.

Fox will will have to make seasons 18-26, cause there are millions of fans who never those episodes uncut when they first aired, plus they can't just stop in the middle of the series, that would be something nickelodeon would do.
The way Fox released every series of King of the Hill. Oh, wait... (Fox stopped releasing those after season 6; Olive Films started releasing the remaining seasons eight years later.)

Also, I'm pretty sure the FXX airings are uncut. I think they do it by not airing commercials between the end of the show and the beginning of the next show.

Fox could always do what (I think) South Park did, and release the commentary tracks separately (e.g. as a "music track" you play on your cellphone while the episode is airing).

The key word there is "hope". Al Jean (or any of the writers, for that matter) clearly have no influence over how the show is marketed and sold.

Simpsons World is nowhere as convenient as FOX makes it out to be, especially for guys like me who don't have cable. VOD releases through Amazon and iTunes, with commentaries and everything, would be great, but I know FOX won't do it as long as they can exploit the show as a tactic to strong-arm cable customers into subscribing to FXX.

It would be great if FOX would offer a Non-cable subscription like $4-5/month to watch FXXnow or $10 for both FXXnow and FXXmovies ........ ala HBO/Showtime

The way Fox released every series of King of the Hill. Oh, wait... (Fox stopped releasing those after season 6; Olive Films started releasing the remaining seasons eight years later.)

Also, I'm pretty sure the FXX airings are uncut. I think they do it by not airing commercials between the end of the show and the beginning of the next show.

Fox could always do what (I think) South Park did, and release the commentary tracks separately (e.g. as a "music track" you play on your cellphone while the episode is airing).

I'd pay $.99 for select commentaries or maybe like $10/season

has anyone (for those who collected every available season) rewatched the season 17 dvd yet now with the knowledge that it's the last one? it's a pretty interesting and new experience in terms of jean era simpsons just coming to a halt.

yea for a small while. just weeped that i wont be able to have the ep where homer becomes an ice cream truck driver and marge uses popsicle sticks from discarded treats to make art on DVD

the only reason my collection is complete is gifts at christmas.. woulda been fine with my collection ending at 12

Back